• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 26,670 Views, 224 Comments

The Truth of Bonds and Friendship - Gadman85



Naruko (Female Naruto) thought she knew a bit about these bonds the Hokage always talked about. However when she tries a mysterious Jutsu. She is sent to a new land where she learns the truth. Naruto and MLP crossover.

  • ...
22
 224
 26,670

An Ironic Source of Income

Two days after the ticket fiasco Naruko realized just how close her seventeenth birthday really was. She wasn't necessarily one of those ponies that got excited about her birthday, in fact before she came to Equestria she hated her birthday. No, Naruko wasn't excited but rather a little nervous. The thing was her stipend from the princess would end when she turned seventeen. The only reason it had lasted as long as it did was due to it only being four and a half years before she turned seventeen.

Naruko had saved up a good bit like her and Kyuubi decided all those years ago, but she would need her own income soon enough. She would be staying with Twilight the whole time they were here in Ponyville, or until they each wanted their own family or something, but she wasn't staying as a freeloader. She helped with chores, paid for supplies and such and bought the things in her own room. She still felt this wasn't enough though.

Naruko was also feeling like a lazy pony as she realized she was the only one of her friends not working a steady career. Twilight was the Ponyville librarian. Rainbow Dash was in charge of weather patrol in Ponyville. Applejack helped at her family’s farm, while Fluttershy took care of the animals, including pets when ponies were on vacations. Heck even Pinkie Pie, the youngest of just fifteen years old, worked at Sugarcube Corner. Plus Octavia and Vinyl have been professionals for a few years now.

Naruko paced back and forth in her room trying to figure out what she could do for a living, or how to go about getting one at least. She still had her stipend for three more months, but she wanted to have an actual career set up by then, or at least know what she wanted to do with herself. She had been lost in her own thoughts for a good while and lost track of time. She heard a knock on her door. “Come in.” She said.

When the door opened there was a very tired looking Twilight in the door way yawning. Twilight then said, “You know I can hear your hooves in my room right? Why are you still up? It's really late Naru. What's bothering you?”

Naruko looked to see outside and was surprised to see the moon up high in the night sky already. Naruko sat down on her haunches and sighed, “I don’t know what I can do for a job here in Ponyville Twilight.”

Twilight spoke from the doorway, “You don’t need to worry Naruko. You still have three months before your birthday and even then you already have a place to stay.” Twilight gave a little frown as a thought came to her mind that she voiced, “You aren't thinking of moving out are you Naruko?”

Naruko looked to Twilight as she said, “No, I’m not Twi.” The purple unicorn seemed to be relieved hearing that. Twilight wasn't sure what she would do if her best friend suddenly wanted to move out of the house. She would have felt as if she had done something to upset the blonde unicorn for her to just up and leave.

“But I can’t just stay here and not work Twilight. I won’t be a freeloader,” Naruko continued.

“You have been helping out a lot with finances since you have been here Naruko, and I know you aren't going to be out of money anytime soon after your stipend ends either. Plus your my friend I wouldn't just abandon you,” Twilight said trying to comfort her friend. It wasn't helping much and she had a feeling there was something else bothering her friend on a deeper level.

“But everyone else already has their own job and earns their own keep. Even Pinkie Pie works! She's only fifteen, and she has been at Sugarcube Corner for a few years now Twilight. In Canterlot, I was okay with not working because I was a student living in the castle as I studied with you,” Naruko said.

Twilight had a feeling what might be going on but needed more information, “We still are students Naruko. Anyways what does this have to do with Pinkie Pie and how she is younger than the rest of us?”

“While I was studying and living a rather comfortable life with you and Princess Celestia, she was already earning money and sending a good bit of it back to help her family’s rock farm. Like I said she is only fifteen and already has been working for a while.” Naruko sighed. She had never been bothered by needing a job before, but she always figured it was alright because she was still young as far as ponies go.

Naruko then felt a hoof reach over and give her a hug as she said to Twilight, who already knew what was bothering her friend, “It makes me feel useless again. Like I felt back in Konoha when I was younger…” Naruko didn't shed any tears, but Twilight could have sworn she felt the hurt flowing through her friend.

“If it really is bothering you that much Naruko, then I know what will help you out. There is a job board in the middle of Ponyville by the Town hall. I looked it over one time out curiosity, and found a lot of different odd jobs posted on there. They are mostly temporary jobs, but something could come from them and either way you will be earning money,” Twilight said causing her friend to cheer up.

“That sounds good. Thanks, Twilight!” Naruko then gave her friend a tighter hug before saying, “I'll look at that first thing in the morning.” With that the two ponies went to bed for the night.

{-} {-} {-}

Once Naruko had some cereal for breakfast, she headed into town to check out this board Twilight talked about last night. Kyuubi was currently off doing his own things, which was mostly training himself in his lower tailed forms. This was something he and Naruko had been doing after the Nightmare Moon incident. Previously the two did what they could to get to the higher forms. However, though things worked out in the end, they both knew they needed to practice using the lower forms when in restricted settings.

Naruko was a little nervous about getting a job, even if only for one day. She came to the board and there were lots of different jobs, but some of them she wouldn't be trying for a good bit yet. She saw one that asked for an afternoon helper with a craftspony company. She smiled as she took the flyer and headed to the address of the business.

She soon approached, The Helping Hoof and walked inside. The mare behind the receptionist’s desk had a light green and blue mane, with a pale yellow coat. “How may I help you darling?”

Naruko gave her a smile and said, “I'm here about the job posting. I wanted to know more details since I am pretty sure I can help out.”

The mare studied her before saying, “Are you sure? You are barely older than a filly. That also doesn't look like a hammer cutie mark or anything either.”

Naruko kept her smile even if it had shrunk a little as she said, “I have plenty of experience fixing household problems ma’am. I had to do so for years.” She left out it was because no one would help "the Demon Brat." She also didn't mention she learned things mostly through trial and error either.

The receptionist shrugged her shoulders, gave the blonde pony a smile and said, “If you say so sweetie. I swear you young ones keep surprising me with what you all can do. I just wanted to make sure you weren't just desperate for a job and picked the first posting you saw. Several young mares and stallions do that all the time just because they want to prove they are independent.”

The receptionist paused as she saw Naruko’s expression and gave a little chuckle. “Sorry I was rambling. Anyways just so you know, if you cause any major accidents you can be held liable and thus your pay deducted as a result. However, if you do know what you are doing that won’t be an issue. Last chance to back out honey.”

After she was met with only silence and a determined look from Naruko she then led the way to her boss. “Mr. Handyhoof, I have someone here for the posting. She seems to have true confidence in herself.” Naruko hoped she wouldn't have to defend herself again.

“Come on in.” said a gruff voice. Naruko walked inside the office and saw an orange coated stallion that could give Big Mac a run for his money in size and strength. His cutie mark was a ruler and hammer crossing each other under a yellow hard hat. The stallion had a simple brown mane and tail.

He gave Naruko a look over and spoke, “A unicorn huh? Not many of them want to do repair and construction work like we do here. They're usually too scared of working up a sweat.”

Naruko was about to give him a glare, but stopped as he gave her a friendly smile and said, “You however, look like the type that will get her hooves dirty if need be. What's your name and what do you have experience with young miss?”

“I’m Naruko Uzumaki. I have experience with mostly home repairs in general. Sir.” She said giving him a salute.

The stallion gave a laugh. “Well you should do fine here I think. Let’s see how you do for your first day though Naruko. By the way my name is Chris Handyhoof. My parents went simple with their naming of me, my brother, and sister. You can call me Handyhoof.” Mr. Handyhoof said as he dismissed the receptionist back to her desk.

As he looked over where to put Naruko, the blonde pony asked, “Why did they go with simple first names Mr. Handyhoof sir?”

“They said names can play a role in choosing your destiny for you. They believed this wasn't right. Thought we should be allowed to do what we want and find our own way in life.” Handyhoof answered.

“Did it work?” Naruko asked.

The large stallion gave a nod as he answered, “Yep it did. My brother Jeff is a big time stunt pony that works for most of the best known actors in the business. My sister Kim manages a few well known singers. Her biggest star currently is Sapphire Shores. All three of us loved things dealing with entertainment. I used to work on all of the set designs in Applewood. However I got tired of the glitz and glamour and came here to Ponyville, where I met my wife and started a family.”

He then rolled up the sheet of paper he was reading through and said, “Anyways I found a crew for you to work with for the day.” He then led the way to her group. Naruko, eager to get started and show she could earn her own way, followed quickly.

The first day went by pretty quickly. She used her horn to help when needed but also used her own hooves as well. The later seemed to earn her the respect of her coworkers. The blonde unicorn was happy about this. She only had to do what came natural and be her usual friendly self to get respect from other ponies. It had been like this for a while now, but it was still an amazing experience each time it happened.

{-} {-} {-}

It was early evening when Naruko finally finished for the day at The Helping Hoof. She felt good having worked hard and earned herself some decent bits. She felt even better when Mr. Handyhoof asked if she was willing to work the rest of this week. He said they could use the help because one of their workers was out sick. She agreed happily and made her way home for the night.

As the week went by, she had started doing morning jobs before she helped Handyhoof. She even ended up helping Rarity get her cat Opalescence back. Naruko used her horn to levitate the cat having seen the evil Tora a couple of times back in Konoha respond to being picked up and held by ninjas.

When she gave the cat to Rarity she insisted the fashion unicorn not pay her, since they were friends. A battle of generosity quickly ensued until Naruko finally agreed to take her money with the exception of only taking half the listed price. Naruko sighed knowing she couldn't have won that battle. Rarity was the element of generosity after all and the fashion pony did a good job living up to her element, for the most part.

Once the week went by Handyhoof approached her and said, “You know in the future if you want, we could try coming to you first when we know we need a helping hoof here Naruko.”

“Really why is that Handyhoof?” Naruko asked curiously.

“You're a fine worker and all the crew ponies like you. You fit in here with us Naruko. I would ask you to join full time, but something tells me you are in for something bigger than working here. Call it an instinct or whatever, but it’s the truth.” The orange stallion said to her.

“Sure that sounds good to me. I guess…” Naruko said with a little frown.

“What's wrong Naruko?” The stallion asked.

“It just seems like you are more or less saying I am good, but you don’t want me on full time is all. I know it isn't true but it feels that way.” Naruko answered. Secretly she was hoping this wouldn't become a thing at the other jobs she took from the board.

“I suppose it does. Just remember what I said when the time comes. Besides I don’t think the Helping Hoof should be the main working place for Equestria’s first Contracted Guardian in who knows how many years.” Handyhoof said to her. She nodded, took her pay, and left for home.

She knew he was right, but it didn't really sink in. Maybe it didn't because she and Twilight were Princess Celestia’s students, but they were both here. She didn't think it odd if she worked a normal job, especially since they were for the most part treated like any other pony. She and Twilight both liked it this way though and wouldn't want it any differently.

{-} {-} {-}

The next Monday she was about to go to the job board, when a familiar Pink pony burst out of the cabinet in the kitchen. This was normal for Pinkie Pie believe it or not. It had freaked her and Twilight out the first couple of times, but they got used to it. They didn't stay to worried about it either because the pony somehow never broke any dishes entering this way. “Good morning Pinkie how are you today?” Naruko greeted their friend.

“I am super-duper extra fine and Happy. Though I do need some help from you or Twilight tomorrow morning.” Pinkie Pie said.

“Oh? How so Pinkie Pie?” Asked Twilight as she continued enjoying her cereal at their table.

“Sugarcube Corner is having a big baked goods sale tomorrow and I can’t do it all at the same time while juggling.” Pinkie answered.

“You could just not juggle while you bake you know Pinkie.” Twilight said with an odd look on her face.

“Well duh but then I would be all thrown off balance while I baked. I always juggle while I bake on Tuesdays.” Pinkie answered. Naruko and Twilight both looked at the pink pony oddly for a second before then looking at each other and shrugging.

Pinkie continued, not caring about their shared looks. “I need somepony to help with ingredients tomorrow or we won’t be able to meet the big demands that we always get for our big sale. I was wondering if either or both of you two ponies would help. I will pay for you troubles because it gets so busy that you should get paid for your help.”

Twilight thought for a bit before she answered, “I’m sorry but I can’t tomorrow. Celestia is sending me something to work on for the whole day.”

Naruko wondered what her best friend would get, but decided it would be one of their private assignments their teacher gave both of them separately. “I can help. I don’t have anything to do tomorrow. Plus I won’t have to worry about the random draw of the work board. You don’t have to pay me though Pinkie.”

Pinkie shook her head. “No you will deserve it after tomorrow. It gets really busy!”

Naruko gave in quickly. “If you say so Pinkie.” She wasn't in the mood to argue over things on Monday mornings. Pinkie nodded and then used the front door to leave. Twilight and Naruko once again looked at each other in confusion before both just shook their heads and started their day.

{-} {-} {-}

Tuesday came and Naruko got up and saw Pinkie waiting as Twilight magically gave her a bowl of cereal. “Hey Naruko. You almost ready to get started? We start early on days like this.”

Naruko grabbed a couple of apples and a carrot. “As soon as I have breakfast I will be Pinkie.” Pinkie nodded and returned to her own breakfast.

As they made their way over to Sugarcube Corner Naruko asked for more details. “So what all will I be doing to help exactly Pinkie?”

“Like I said you will be in charge of handing ingredients to me and Derpy. I hope you can be in two places at once! we are both fast bakers. Though Derpy is only good with muffins and only helps out occasionally. I still don’t get how she managed to make oatmeal stuffed muffins…” Pinkie shook her head before continuing. “Other than that you might have to help with taking orders and deliveries. Can a pony be in three places at once?” Pinkie said looking confounded.

“I’m guessing you don’t remember my fight with Nightmare Moon. I don’t know about other ponies, but this pony sure can be in multiple places at once.” Naruko said with pride.

“Oh that is right you can. Sorry I forgot about that I just remember all of the pretty colors flying everywhere and the rainbow we made at the end.” Pinkie said with wide eyes as she remembered the pretty colors.

They walked into the back door and after getting an apron Naruko made a shadow clone that also had an apron as well. “Alright you help Pinkie first. After a couple hours we switch.” The clone nodded as Naruko made her way over to Derpy Hooves and gave her a friendly smile as she said, “Hey Derpy. How’s the Doctor doing and your daughters?”

Derpy flew over and gave Naruko a hug before saying. “Hubby's doing fine, he should be back tomorrow. He had an important mission! The girls are doing good too.” Derpy then said, “Now though, I make muffins!” Naruko next to Derpy got ready for a busy day at Sugarcube Corner still wondering just how busy it would get as she thought over first meeting Derpy and her husband.

Naruko met Derpy and her husband one time by accident when she was training in the forest with Kyuubi. She was surprised when all the Doctor said at the sight of Kyuubi in his 6 tailed form was, “How utterly fascinating! I see that I am not the only one who didn't originally belong here. Hmm you seem to be from that Ninja world aren't you?”

At the time Naruko was speechless but answered him. After that the four spent some time talking about different things. The Doctor and Derpy told of their adventures to some extent and Naruko told him a little bit about her time in Konoha. She didn't go into too much detail of course, but it was enough to momentarily sate the Doctor’s curiosity.

Once the day was finally over she was exhausted, it was just as busy as Pinkie Pie warned her it would be. She was glad for her massive amounts of stamina or otherwise she might not have made it home before falling asleep. However, she made some good bits that day and got to spend time with both Pinkie Pie and Derpy. It was amazing how much fun even the toughest of days can be when you spend it with ponies you like and think of as friends.

Naruko gave a giggle to herself as she decided to send a friendship letter to Celestia saying just that. Once she had the letter she surprised both Spike and Twilight when she asked Spike to send it to Princess Celestia. “Well I guess there isn't a problem, even if the friendship letters are mostly my assignment. Anyways I’m glad while it was a busy day you enjoyed it with friends Naru.” Twilight gave her a smile.

“So how was your day Twilight?” Naruko asked.

“Not too bad. A bit tedious though. The assignment was more of a pain in my flank than it was interesting. But if Celestia asks for something she usually gets it.” Twilight said as she yawned, though she wasn't ready for bed yet.

Naruko gave a little frown, “Sorry to hear that Twi. What was your assignment anyways?”

Twilight sighed, “Something about astronomy and how certain mythical artifacts interact when aligned with the stars, and interact when given the correct amount of power. It would have been interesting, but it was all purely theoretical. Also it involved inter-dimensional travel through space. It was rather ridiculous if you ask me. Foal story material.”

“You do remember I am originally from a different planet and species right Twi?” Naruko asked. She felt as if Twilight was telling her she shouldn't be in Equestria.

“I know that Naruko. But the jutsu you used allowed for randomized travel, not directed travel to a specific location, and then instantaneously appearing there despite the actual distance required for travel. That is the part that was foal story material. Sorry, I should have been more specific Naruko.” Twilight frowned at her best friend.

“I wasn't meaning you shouldn't be here. It's hard to believe how you got here, but it works in a certain way given that it was more or less a randomized act. Also I wouldn't want you to have been stuck in that place even if things got better for you there. You shouldn't have to do that much just to be accepted as existing by your home village. I feel so exhausted right now I’m not thinking carefully before I speak.” Twilight then let out another yawn.

“It’s ok Twilight. I wasn't thinking you didn't want me here, but it's nice to hear you do want me here.” Naruko then gave her best friend a tired hug as she then said. “I think we should both probably go to bed Twilight. I’m tired and you are as well. So despite the fact you no doubt want to do some reading for pleasure. I think you should go to bed too.”

Twilight gave a sheepish grin and squeak as she said, “How did you know I wanted to do that? And why are you telling me to go to bed? I am older than you Naruko.”

Naruko gave a smile and said, “Because I know you Twilight and it’s a best friend’s job to look out for their best friend. If left alone you would stay up all night reading a book for fun and everypony needs sleep.” Twilight gave a little giggle as she agreed and the two went to their beds for the night.

{-} {-} {-}

Naruko had gotten used to using the board these past few weeks for getting a job. It hadn't been always helpful, but most of the time it delivered. She looked at several of them and gave a little snicker as she thought the board seemed like the type of ‘D-rank’ Missions she had seen the old man give out to new ninjas.

She also found it a little ironic that she, a failed ninja, was more capable in taking care of these jobs alone. Usually it would have taken a team; even if the purpose was to work on "team building" the new ninja she had seen come back from the missions, usually looked as if they had seen better days.

She looked at one posting and saw it was a foal sitting job from a family that had recently moved from Trottingham. Naruko took the flyer and went to the address listed. The flyer said experience appreciated, but not necessary. Naruko figured she could probably handle this as long as she didn't have to change diapers. Also she wanted to try something a little different from what she usually did.

Naruko walked down Trotters Lane until she found the house listed on the flyer. It was a nice three story house, very similar in outside design to most of Ponyville. Naruko was wondering if maybe there was a pony in Ponyville that had this house design as a cutie mark, since most of the houses in Ponyville looked the same.

Naruko shook her head and gave a knock on the door to the house. She figured even though the job was to start in a couple of hours from now, she might as well get to know them and learn what they want her to do while foal sitting.

A couple of pinto coated ponies, rare for Ponyville, answered the door. Naruko gave a friendly smile and introduced herself. “Hello I’m Naruko Uzumaki and I wanted some more details about the foal sitter position you posted. I don’t really have experience, but I would like to try if you don’t mind.”

The two looked her over and then at each other before dragging her inside to their kitchen. On the way, Naruko saw a young colt with a white base coat and brown patches standing on the bottom stair in the entry hall. He had a brown mane and tail. Naruko gave him a small smile as the colt just watched with wide eyes.

“Can you clean up messes if they happen? Can you keep an eye on our little Pipsqueak? Are you free for the whole day?” The mother asked quickly once they were in the kitchen.

Naruko nodded and said, “I’m sure I can do anything except maybe diaper changes. That won’t be a problem right? You didn't say ages on the flyer.” She wasn't sure if the little colt she saw was the only one she would be sitting.

The two looked at each other and the father face hoofed. Naruko looked a little concerned before he spoke. “No, that won’t be a problem Naruko. I was just realizing I should have provided more detail. We haven’t been here long like the flyer said. We need to do a lot of things that require us to be all over town today, and we were hoping that we could find someone to watch over Pipsqueak.”

Naruko breathed a sigh of relief before saying, “I'm free all day. I've only been here a total of two months now. I just now needed to start looking for a job.”

The mother gave her a smile, “Well that is good to hear. We aren't sure how long things will take, but we do know we'll be busy most of the day and won’t be back until after his bed time. We can pay you 40 gold bits for the day.”

Naruko nodded as the two parents then told her how to get in contact with them if needed and what Pipsqueak’s schedule for the day was. Next the parents took her into the living room and called Pipsqueak to come and meet her. He walked in and looked at her with interest.

Naruko gave a little smile as she introduced herself. “Hey there I’m Naruko Uzumaki. I’ll be watching you while your parents are busy today Pipsqueak. I hope we can get along.” She wasn't sure why, but she felt a little nervous. She didn't think it should be this nerve wracking since he was just a little colt, but it was.

“Can you do lots of magic?” Pipsqueak asked, his eyes shining with hope.

The father gave a nervous laugh as he said, “He's always found unicorn magic interesting.”

Naruko gave a smile to the little colt and said, “I can actually. In fact I’m pretty good at it even. I might show you some tricks later.” Pipsqueak smiled at that.

His mom gave a smile and after a little bit longer her and her husband left to get started for the day. Naruko then said goodbye to them and turned to Pipsqueak and asked, “So what do you want to do? We have some time before lunch and the small chores you have to do.”

Pipsqueak gave a frown when he heard ‘chores’. “I hate doing chores. Do I have to do them?”

Naruko gave him a look and answered, “They aren't that bad. All you have to do is clean your room and a little bit of practice writing.” He frowned more and looked at the ground. Naruko placed a hoof on his chin and had him look into her eyes. “I did say you wouldn't be doing them until after lunch.” She gave him another smile and his ears perked up hearing that.

“I want to play a game!” He said excitedly.

“What game did you have in mind?” Naruko asked.

He smiled and said, “Pirates!”

Naruko gave a little giggle and said, “Alright are you going to be a captain then?” He nodded to her. “So then what am I going to be? A part of your crew?”

He shook his head and said, “A Princess!”

Naruko gave a little giggle as she said, “I don’t think Celestia or Luna would appreciate me impersonating royalty. How about a Lady instead that craves adventure?” She really didn't want to be a princess. She might have to dress up or something she thought.

Pipsqueak thought really hard for a bit and then said, “Alright but you are going to be a Lady as pretty as a princess though.”

Naruko gave a little laugh and said, “I suppose I can live with that.” He then had her follow him outside where he had a little fort that was his pirate base and their game commenced. It seems she was a Lady that wanted to go looking for treasure from an evil group of griffons and sought him and his crew out for their help. Naruko just played along and enjoyed the game.

They did have to stop earlier than originally planned when he accidentally hurt his hoof. Naruko almost panicked, fearful that his parents would be pissed at her. Instead she simply took a look at it and used magic to clean it and then place a Band-Aid on it. “Well I think we need to stop here for now. Are you ok Pipsqueak?”

He blinked through a last few tears when he noticed it felt better. He simply gave a little nod as he stood up and flinched a little bit. Naruko looked at him and then used magic to place him on her back. “Maybe you should stay off it for a little bit. It's probably still a little sore.”

Pipsqueak just sat on her back as she went inside and started looking around the kitchen. She saw no harm in getting lunch ready a little earlier, especially when she heard his stomach growl. She gave a little smile as she started to hum a little tune as she worked her way around the kitchen.

Pipsqueak just watched in wonder when she used magic to help her get things ready. “How are you able to do all of this stuff so easily? I thought only moms and sometimes dads knew how to do this stuff. Are you also a mom or is it a unicorn thing also?”

Naruko’s eyes widened for a second at the mom question before she recovered. “I'm too young to be a mom… I think. Also I think it has more to do with my having taken care of myself for some years, rather than being an amazing unicorn. Though I will admit I am a pretty amazing unicorn.” She gave him a little grin.

Pipsqueak’s next question she should have seen coming, but it caused her to falter just a little bit anyways. “Why didn't your parents take care of you Naruko? Isn't that what they do?”

Naruko recovered quickly and thought of how to answer his question, acting like she had to really concentrate on what she was currently doing. After a couple of minutes she answered, “Not every pony is lucky enough to have their parents around for too long after they’re born, and also I was a bit of an independent filly when I was younger.” She wasn't lying. She just omitted parts of the truth.

She then sighed in relief as she finished and could cut him off before he asked anymore uncomfortable questions. “Well anyways looks like lunch is ready” she then had him sit in his booster chair at the table. He smiled and eagerly started eating his lunch.

Naruko smiled and started to eat hers as well, but she smiled because she was getting a break from questions before they got even more personal. There were only three ponies that knew a lot about her story. The list included both princesses and Twilight, and only Twilight knew her whole story. She hadn't told either of the other two about "that night" after she turned twelve. Actually Naruko wasn't sure if Luna knew her story. She figured she would at least have been told the basics of it by Celestia, but she wasn't fully sure.

{-} {-} {-}

After lunch she told Pipsqueak to work on his writing first. He complained a little but she finally convinced him to do it. She even tried it herself as well. She hadn't really tried writing with her mouth since she first came to Equestria.

She frowned as she saw how sloppy it was compared to how she wrote with her magic. She then redid the exercise with her magic just to prove her point, and also because Pipsqueak liked watching her use magic even for the simplest of things. Plus it was a good way to keep her control in check.

After that she gave him his snack before having him go and clean his room. “I hate cleaning my room…” He said frowning.

Naruko then donned a thoughtful expression as she said, “How about you don’t think of it as cleaning your room then?”

Pipsqueak looked at her confused as he said, “But it is cleaning my room…”

She thought she had an idea that would make it less annoying for him. “Think of it as challenge of sorts. That a Lady as pretty as a princess gave you.”

“What do I get out of it though?” Pipsqueak asked not making it that easy.

“If you do it she will show you something amazing.” She said with a smile.

“Does it involve magic?!” He asked excitedly.

Naruko gave a smile and nod. “Yes it does.” He then got right to cleaning his room. Naruko was happy, but now she had to think of something to show him using magic.

Once the little colt finished his room, she placed him outside in the backyard and told him to just watch. Suddenly her horn started glowing light blue as a blue ball formed above it. Next a wind stirred around them and started to pick up and encircle the ball of energy. Soon the wind started to form what looked like a disc around the ball. Then suddenly the encircling disc sliced the ball in half. Naruko pulled the two balls apart and started circling them around each other before she sent them up high into the sky, where they collided in a bright light display as more wind circled around it.

“Whoa!!!!!!!!!!” Pipsqueak shouted in excitement and jumped in praise. “That was so awesome!” Several seconds later he finished his jumping.

Naruko just smiled and was glad she had found a way to use wind to dampen the sound of the explosion the balls of energy would have made. After all she didn't want to frighten anypony with her treat for Pipsqueak with a little practice thrown in as well.

Pipsqueak was excitedly talking the rest of the day about the awesome trick. He asked her to do it again, but frowned when she said that would make it lame if she did it too often. He soon forgot about his disappointment when she offered him some apple slices to go with his supper that night.

It had been a very busy day in the end for Naruko. She had fun entertaining the colt, but she also had to clean up a couple of accidental spills, and he managed to bruise himself another couple of times during the day.

Naruko was hoping his parents wouldn't get angry at her and dock her pay. However, despite everything it wasn't all that bad she thought as she tucked him into bed, telling him she was sure his mom would come and re-tuck him in again once she got back, even if he was fast asleep.

“Hey Naruko?” Pipsqueak asked through a yawn.

“Yes pipsqueak?” She asked back.

“Which princess is your favorite?” He asked her.

Naruko thought for a couple of seconds before answering. “I think I like both of them Pipsqueak, but if I had to make a choice… I think I would choose Princess Luna.” She gave a smile.

Pipsqueak’s eyes widened, “Why? Isn't she Nightmare Moon? Isn't she evil?”

Naruko came over and patted his mane before telling him, “Calm down. She isn't evil. She also isn't Nightmare Moon, not anymore at least. Besides Celestia is her sister and the two care deeply for each other.”

He then gave an ‘ohh’ face and asked, “Why did you pick her though?”

“Because of the two, I think I can relate better to Princess Luna than I can Celestia. I too never felt appreciated much back when I was younger despite all I did.” Naruko said.

“What does she do besides raise the moon Naruko?” The foal asked his sitter.

“She gives us a beautiful night sky every night. Also Luna walks through dreams and helps those that have really bad nightmares get over them, and face their fears in the outside world if needed.” Naruko said giving a smile.

“She doesn't sound bad at all. Not anything like those Timberwolves I heard about, or that horrible sounding roar everyone talked about near the Ever-Free forest awhile back.” Pipsqueak shivered in fear.

Naruko gave him a comforting smile as she said, “Hey you got nothing to worry about Pipsqueak. Just go to bed and have a nice night.” She then turned on his night light as she left and closed the door.

{-} {-} {-}

Unfortunately, the little colt while falling asleep had given himself a bit of a scare after their talk. He fell asleep quickly, but he found himself in a dark forested area. He looked around asking for his parents or Naruko but he felt very alone. He started running when he heard something approach from the shadows with rancid breath.

Unbeknownst to him a certain dark princess with a moon cutie mark was hiding and her long horn had just glowed. Just before her horn glowed a timberwolf came into full view of the small colt who cried for help. Just as he screamed a Blonde unicorn with a light blue glowing horn jumped out in front of the colt.

Dream Naruko then gave pipsqueak a smile as she said, “Told you there wasn't anything to worry about.” Her horn then glowed brightly and the timber wolf vanished in smoke. She then gave him a wave with her hoof and trotted off into the forest.

Princess Luna smiled from her hiding place in the woods near where dream Naruko vanished. However, the Alicorn hadn't expected the small colt’s dream to give out a loud roar causing the small colt to run scared. The moon princess sighed.

She was still a little rusty with dream walking. She had only started it again a couple of weeks ago to just observe. Tonight she tried to actively work in a dream once more. She thought it was off to a good start as well.

She was just about to do something about the noise when she felt a small something run into her leg and let out a little, “oww…” as the small colt looked up to her with large eyes.

Luna’s eyes looked saddened a little bit. She just knew what was coming. Most of the subjects still saw her as Nightmare Moon, and would tremble in fear before backing away. However, she was surprised when she heard the little colt. “Princess Luna? Help me please, that noise is coming!”

The moon princess’ eyes widened in surprise before her horn glowed a midnight blue and the dream disappeared around them. She then said in her royal Canterlot voice as she held a hoof forward, “Fear not loyal subject! We shall not let this nightmare continue!” The little colt looked to her with awe in his eyes.

Luna then looked down at him and couldn't help but ask in her royal Canterlot voice, “Why isn't thou afraid of us? Most of our subjects still fear us.”

Pipsqueak looked at her a little longer before answering, “Naruko said you weren't evil and that you help out with dreams. Thanks for helping.” He gave her a big smile. “Oh boy, this all just shows Naruko’s favorite Princess is great.”

Luna looked a little confused as she asked, not even thinking to use her royal Canterlot voice, “We’re her favorite? How is that?”

Pipsqueak looked puzzled before he said, “Maybe not favorite. She didn't say she had a favorite. Just that she could relate to you more. She didn't say why though… Anyways thanks again Princess.” He then trotted off into a very bright sunny afternoon with his parents for a trip or something. His dream had changed to something pleasant thanks to Luna’s magic.

Princess Luna placed a hoof on her chin as she wondered what Naruko meant when she told the little colt all of this. She also sighed as she realized she wasn't as good at staying hidden as she thought she would be by now. Her powers had returned, but she was very much out of practice.

She shouldn't have been caught like that. She usually only lets herself be known in the worst of cases to the dreamer. The fact the colt found her without even trying showed she needed more practice. For now though she wanted to pay a little visit to a certain blonde unicorn.

{-} {-} {-}

Naruko stood outside on the balcony overlooking the front of the house, not knowing what happened in Pipsqueak’s dream. She felt she could enjoy the night sky and be able to see when pipsqueak’s parents came home from here. Naruko looked to the night sky and smiled as the cool night breeze flowed through her loose mane.

She smiled as she thought, “Just like I thought back then. With Luna back the nights are far prettier. No wonder she got upset when most ponies seemed to fear the night and sleep through it.” She then hummed to herself as she gazed more into the night sky.

Little did Naruko notice the dark cloud heading her way, until she heard a voice that sounded a little bit familiar, but more mature than the last time she heard it. “Naruko. Is it true what thou said to the little colt?”

Naruko turned around and bowed to Princess Luna as she said, “What do you mean and how did you hear what I said to him Princess Luna?”

Princess Luna gave Naruko a look before saying in her normal voice, “You don’t need to bow to me unless it is in formal ceremonies. Also you may call me Luna, unless in a formal setting.”

Naruko stood up and gave a nervous smile as she said, “If you say so Princess. I mean Luna… Why though?”

The Moon princess looked to the blonde pony and said in an even voice, “You bested me in combat. You helped free me from the curse I brought upon myself, and you even forced me to see what I had ignored back then. For all intents and purposes, I see you as much of an equal as somepony can be.”

Naruko frowned and looked down. “You weren't even at full power then though. Also I only said that bit at the end because I was angry and a bit jealous.”

Princess Luna looked at Naruko and dropped her ‘royal’ persona as she said, “Still a victory is a victory. Besides it isn't as if I was holding back or anything. The fact I wasn't at full power means you choose to strike before I was beyond your reach. That is a sound strategy. I didn't know your training as a warrior had come that far along, before you came to Equestria.”

Naruko shrugged and asked, “So what was it you were talking about earlier Luna?”

The princess almost blushed having forgotten her earlier question. “I was dream walking and saved the small colt here from his nightmare. By the way, he sees you as a sort of protector it seems. Anyways he told me what you said to him about me. I was wondering what you meant by being able to understand me better than my sister.”

Naruko looked a little nervous as she asked, “How much did your sister tell you about my past?”

Luna glided down and stood next to Naruko as she answered, “She told me you are from Konoha where you were training to be a shadow warrior or ninja as she called it. She also told me you learned how to use this chakra stuff there, which is similar to magic and that is why here you are a unicorn. She didn't tell me much about your past as a pony or human though.”

Naruko looked to the night sky as she said, “The night really is beautiful Luna. The first night I came here I looked out the window and knew that while she did a decent job, Celestia’s night sky wasn't as beautiful as it could be.” Luna blushed at this. Naruko was probably one of the few that had appreciated her night and meant it when she said so.

“I have always liked nights better. I'm a little similar to you in that no one liked me at all where I came from. Kyuubi was seen as a demon to them and had attacked our village. He had to be sealed away for everyone’s safety, even his own. I was used as his container." Naruko paused to let Luna take in what she said.

"As a result of that everyone hated me, and made it very clear just how lowly they thought of me by shunning me and ignoring me. It probably would have been much worse if it wasn't for my guards that were watching for my minimal protection.” Naruko looked to Luna as she paused for a bit.

“I did what I could to be helpful to them at first, or anything to get them to like me. Still they hated me for something I had no control over. They also didn't care that I was actually protecting them from a, at the time, vengeful tailed beast. I started to act out to get their attention, but even then the only people that cared a small bit about me were the leader of the village, a teacher and two food stand cooks.” Naruko took in a deep breath of the cool night air.

“I am guessing that those few bonds you had weren't what you thought of them?” Luna asked

“Well old man Hokage did do a lot for me, but after what Kyuubi said. I think it was because he wanted me as a loyal ultimate tool. However I guess he at least saw me as he did all ninja, as a tool and a human. The teacher hated me from the start like everyone else. Later after he talked to the Hokage he started to treat me like a normal kid. I just think it is sad he had to first talk to the Hokage before he saw me that way. Also who knows if he wasn't just following an order from our leader, the Hokage?” Naruko looked down a little bit and sighed.

“The two chefs were nice enough and would talk to me like they would anyone. They were at least a little understanding of me, still I wonder if I was ever more than just their number one customer. I mean the place didn't have much business, and I could get better food there than from any store for a better price, so I frequented their stand a lot.” Naruko paused for a bit reflecting on her own words.

“It sounds like you at least had some decent people there. Would you have considered any of them friends?” Luna asked.

Naruko frowned a little bit. “That's the thing Luna. It didn't take long for me to make much stronger bonds with just casually talking to some of the staff at the castle. Let alone Twilight and your sister. I appreciate what those four people did for me in Konoha, but I was only a foal most of that time. I was kicked out of an orphanage at 6 years old. I was barely starting school. Heck! If it wasn't for Kyuubi I would have starved to death shortly after I was kicked out as my ‘guards’ just sat and watched.”

Naruko was older now and stronger, but even so it still hurt thinking about her past in Konoha. She was lucky to have had Twilight there most of the nights in the castle to put up with her depression every so often. She gave a sniff as she tried to keep tears back. Luna placed a hoof on her shoulder. Naruko gave a weak smile as she finally fought back her tears for the moment. “I’m sorry Luna. It still hurts thinking about it sometimes.”

Luna gave her a concerned frown. “How did you manage through it all Naruko?”

Naruko gathered herself. “That is part of the reason why I can relate to you. I don’t think I would have lasted much longer if things had kept the way they were… even with my warped ideas of what ‘bonds and friendship’ meant then. I would have easily become exactly what they feared I would become.”

Naruko gave a bitter laugh, “Rather fitting don’t you think? They thought they were showing the ‘Demon brat’ its place and were winning a war against the demon since it was weakened. Much longer and they would have seen how wrong they were. You know that elemental magic I used a few times when we fought Luna?”

Luna nodded though she was more concerned with Naruko finally letting go and falling to her inner darkness. Naruko continued, “I learned how to use wind and fire chakra when I was about ten years old. Usually it is rare to have one form of elemental chakra as an academy graduate at about the age of twelve. But I had two forms of it at ten. The only reason why I couldn't pass my ninja exam the first three times was because I kept getting the standard clone which is just an illusion. I've always had tons of chakra, so much that I would need the control of a high ranking long time veteran ninja to do one stupid normal clone.”

Luna was now curious as to why those villagers at Naruko’s home could be so stupid to think they were defeating someone that powerful. She listened as Naruko went on.

“I could have easily crushed that village. If I wasn't focused on getting them to acknowledge and accept me instead I probably would have. I also wished strongly to protect those that I had, even the smallest of bonds with, risking my own life. So yah I don’t think I was far from letting my jealousy and anger get to me as I looked at those that had everything I wanted. Friends, family, and were at least treated neutrally by others. I was slowly getting doubts as to if it was worth it before I ended up here.” Naruko finished feeling a little bitter.

Luna understood that all too well. She would have done and did do anything for her ponies. Still they were too scared of the night and her to understand what she did for them, and how much she cared for them.

“I couldn't ever understand what it's like to be your sister. I like her and will stay loyal to Equestria no problem, she is one of my precious ponies after all. But I can’t understand what it's like to be the sun. Loved by everyone and revered for what I have done.” Naruko said before taking a couple of breaths.

“However, doing all I could for the benefit of others, and trying to get them to like and appreciate me like you did Luna. I can understand that fully. Probably better than anypony else.” Naruko then gave a nervous laugh to break the rather somber mood as she scratched the back of her mane with a hoof. “Not that I’m bragging or anything. I’m just saying how it is.” Luna gave a majestic laugh to Naruko’s words.

Naruko then looked down again as she said, “I'm sorry for what I said at that time Princess Luna… I was jealous of you.”

Luna looked at the blonde pony quizzically. “What were you jealous of Naruko? You have plenty of power. I was lying on the ground defeated by your hooves.” She then gave a little grin as she said, “I know my mane is fantastic, but I never thought it that amazing.”

Naruko gave a honest laugh as she smiled and said, “Who wouldn't want a beautifully flowing mane that sparkled?” The two then shared another laugh.

Naruko then turned serious as she said, “I envied you and your sister. I know she sent you to the moon after what happened, but I know for a fact she loves you and you love her. You two have each other as family. I don’t have any family. I have really close friendships and I am very close to Kyuubi, but it isn't the same as a sister or a mother and father.”

“You shouldn't be too sorry for saying what you did Naruko. It was important I hear it. Part of the reason I was able to regain my powers as fast as I have is because your words reached my heart. Even the Nightmare Moon side of me realized how foalish we were.” Luna gave her a comforting smile.

Naruko returned a weak smile as she said, “Even so. I’m still sorry for what I said to you then Princess Luna.”

Luna gave her a mock disappointed look. “We said before thou hast earned the right to call us Luna.” She made a point of speaking formally to the blonde pony. She would have used the full effect of the Royal Equestrian voice, had she not been afraid of waking up the young colt sleeping inside the house.

Naruko seemed to have gotten her message. “Sorry Luna. It will take some getting used to for me. The funny thing is I always made a point of not being formal or respectful when I was in Konoha. Coming here I find it hard to not follow protocol now. Even though I am following it for different reasons now than I did back then. I used to be formal with those I disliked and very informal to the point of rudeness, to those I did like. Here my liking of somepony doesn't play a role for the most part.”

“It is quite alright Naruko. I can understand. I have difficulty fitting in with the times here in Equestria. A lot has changed in one thousand years. I can’t imagine how much of a difference this world is to your original world nor the ways your life has changed because of this.” Luna said.

After that the two just enjoyed the night together, and talked about small things until Luna finally returned to Canterlot just in time for Pipsqueak’s parents to return home. “Well hello up there Naruko. Did everything go alright?” The father asked.

“There were a few scrapes and a bruise or two but nothing too bad.” Naruko said.

The parents shared a chuckle as the mother said, “You must have a magic touch or something then. Pipsqueak gets scrapes and bruises all the time. I would be concerned, but nothing too terrible happens and my husband here says he was just the same way as a young colt himself.” Naruko gave them a smile before heading inside to tell them how the day went in more detail and receive her payment.

As she received her payment the mother shared a look with her husband before turning to Naruko and saying, “Would you like to work for us again a day from now Naruko? We still haven’t finished everything we need to for our family here.”

Naruko gave a smile, “Sure I kind of liked the little guy. He's a good colt.” The parents gave her relieved smiles as she left for the night to head back home. She had a big smile on her face, though her talk with Luna had saddened her a good bit.

She was happy the moon princess and she seemed to get closer though. She hoped to be able to call her a friend someday maybe even. However, reliving those times and admitting to Luna what she had only admitted to Twilight before was tough.

By the time she was home she was close to tears again. She noticed the lights were still on inside. She tried to gather herself as she opened the door and said in a voice, that anyone else besides her best friend, would think meant she was happy. “Hello Twilight I’m home.”

Twilight was a little worried and even more when she saw Naruko’s face as she looked up from her book. “Was it that bad? I didn't think foal sitting would be that bad.”

Naruko gave her a smile that didn't fully reach her eyes as she said, “It wasn't. Pipsqueak wasn't so bad. It was actually kind of fun. I even spent some time talking to Princess Luna afterwards.”

Twilight looked a little confused as she asked, “Then why the look Naruko?”

Naruko closed the door sat down next to Twilight and shed a few tears. “I told her why I could relate to her and not Celestia…. I told her about my past some…” She then started to cry as Twilight gave her a hug and patted her back.

“There. There. Naru… It’s ok. Let it out…” Twilight said in a soothing voice.

“I just hate it all Twi. I mean I shouldn't let it get to me like this. I shouldn't be crying at all. Things are so much better now than they were back then. I don’t get it Twi. What is wrong with me?” Naruko admitted not for the first time.

“I think it’s because you feel so much betrayal from the place you were born. Also realizing just how close you were to becoming like Nightmare Moon probably scares you. Maybe deep down you feel like this is all still a dream?” Twilight said to comfort Naruko.

It did work a little bit. “I guess you are right Twilight. This place is far from perfect but still… Compared to my life back then this feels like heaven every day, even after these past years.”

Twilight gave a smile but still hugged Naruko a little longer. “Well no matter what. You’ll have all your friends here for you to the end. We all would do anything to help you Naruko.”

Naruko smiled to Twilight. This time the smile reached her eyes once again. She was back to her usual truly happy self again. “Thanks Twilight I needed that.”

Twilight simply shrugged and said, “What are best friends for?”

Naruko gave a smile as she said, “Yah I guess so Twi.”

Twilight then looked like she was ready to take notes as she asked, “So you met Princess Luna tonight huh? How is she doing?” With that Naruko started telling her about some of the things they talked about, and how Luna had her powers fully back already, but was a little rusty.

{-} {-} {-}

When morning came Luna met with her sister for Dinner-breakfast as they called it. The two sisters shared their morning meal and evening meal together before switching off duties. “Sister. I am troubled by some of the things I have noticed while getting back 'into the swing of things' as you called it.”

Princess Celestia looked to her sister questioningly, “What troubles you Luna?”

Luna looked at her sister with a little anger as she said, “Why have you disbanded the Patrol?”

Celestia spit out some of her tea as she looked to her sister. “What do you mean? What Patrol?”

Luna looked at her sister coolly as she said, “You know what patrol I mean. That place is dangerous and things could happen. Is it not our duty to protect ponies from that place?”

At her sister’s slow nod she continued, “I have seen details in nightmares and some dreams, which I should not be seeing. Something needs to be done. I know you have been busy while I was taking my punishment and made some changes, but I did not think you would change that.”

Celestia sighed. “I have been busy like you said Luna. I also thought with that pony there they wouldn't be a need for the patrol. I don’t have your ability to dream walk Luna. The only times I did that were when I was following you into dreams that needed extra attention. I haven’t heard anything bad from there. I mean I did at first. However, reports stopped coming in to me. I figured things were under control.”

Luna looked a little angered. “Or maybe they lost faith in receiving our aide from the silence as far as that place was concerned.” Luna soon deflated as she looked down sadly, “I know you had a lot on your plate due to my negligence… But why didn't you look into the matter?”

Celestia sighed, “Luna you don’t need to worry about your missed years anymore. And I told you why I didn't look into it. I thought it wasn't an issue. I still don’t know if it is now. The ponies are doing just fine. Besides you know due to the nature of the patrol it took volunteers to sign up for it, even if they were paid once on board."

Celestia took a sip of her morning tea before starting again. "Besides most ponies outside our guards don’t even know how to properly fight. So until you can find one such pony and there is proof for the patrol to start again. I don’t think it should. I am sorry Luna…”

“I understand sister. I really do. I only hope when your proof comes it isn't too late. You have sensed the darkness coming from a far. You know it will eventually affect Equestria and in particular near here and there. Now if you will excuse me sister I must retire. It was a long night.” As Luna left she paused by the door and said, “I hope the Sun court won’t be too horrible for you today. I would help with the Moon court, but it seems they still fear me at some level.”

Luna left her sister to her thoughts, “That is also part of the reason Luna. They would more or less be working for you. I don’t know if many ponies are ready for that yet. They still fear that which they shouldn't. They would think you might use the patrol to take over again or something.

Luna was lying on her bed and let out a long breath. She was a bit upset, but she wasn't about to act on her own. Last time she did things didn't work out too well.

However, one thought did stick out in her mind before she went to bed. “There is a pony that knows very well how to fight sister. She doesn't even need to use just her magic either. I just know there have to be others as well. Besides we could train them and I already have an idea who the Captain will be, if she takes me up on the offer when you finally realize the patrol is needed again.

The moon princess then went to sleep with a smile on her face. She felt that Naruko might end up becoming a good friend of hers. Said pony was just now getting up again for another day of requests form the request board.

Naruko still wanted something more permanent than the request board. Unfortunately Handyhoof wasn't the only one that wished they could have her as full time staff, but claimed she was meant for something bigger. Naruko just wished this ‘something bigger’ would finally come and find her.