• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 26,671 Views, 224 Comments

The Truth of Bonds and Friendship - Gadman85



Naruko (Female Naruto) thought she knew a bit about these bonds the Hokage always talked about. However when she tries a mysterious Jutsu. She is sent to a new land where she learns the truth. Naruto and MLP crossover.

  • ...
22
 224
 26,671

Return of the Night

Everypony in Ponyville was gathered in the town hall as the minutes before dawn counted down. Twilight pointed out to Naruko that four stars had aligned behind the moon. Naruko wondered what to do.

Soon Mayor Mare made her speech as all the ponies watched eagerly, and the bird choir sang their song before the Mayor introduced Princess Celestia. The curtains were drawn back to reveal nothing. All of the ponies could only gasp in surprise at the scene.

“Where is she?” one pony asked aloud.

Pinkie Pie started jumping around saying, “oooo. I love guessing games!” She then started spouting out different guesses that really made no sense at all.

“She’s gone!” Rarity exclaimed in worry and confusion.

Just then they heard some echoing evil laughter as blue sparkling mist formed on the stage. Kyuubi froze as he felt the power. He and Naruko could both tell it wasn't fully formed yet, but it was still something tough to handle in their current state. Also they didn't have any room for Kyuubi to transform, and there were too many ponies in the building for Naruko to start throwing jutsus and spells.

Soon the mist formed and before them stood a mare about the same size as Celestia. Except this mare had a black coat with dark purple on her rear with a moon cutie mark. The mare laughed and said in a loud ringing voice, “My subjects.” All of the ponies just stared not sure what to do. There were fillies hiding under a table hoping they wouldn't be noticed and thus spared from whatever happened.

When no one bowed she looked at them and said, “Am I not royal enough for you all? Do none of you know who I am? Has my station been reduced after being imprisoned for a thousand years?!” She said still in a loud voice.

Rainbow Dash thought to charge this evil being in front of them, but Applejack grabbed a hold of her tail to keep her from doing something she would regret. Pinkie Pie thought it was another guessing game and kept making up names before Applejack shoved an apple in her mouth to keep her quiet. Naruko was still trying to figure out what she could do in this confined place and if it would be enough to make a difference.

“I know who you are. You are the mare in the moon. Nightmare Moon! I read all about the prophecies telling of your return.” Twilight called aloud causing more ponies to gasp.

Nightmare Moon gave a little chuckle, “Well then you must know what I plan to do.”

“You’re going to…” Twilight didn't want to finish it aloud. She was too scared and angry that she couldn't do anything. She also looked to Naruko and noticed her best friend seemed to be feeling the same as her.

Nightmare Moon threw her head and laughed as she raised into the air and shouted aloud “I have returned to rule Equestria!”

Mayor Mare decided to take action. “Guards Seize her!” Three Pegasus guards took to the air and charged the dark princess.

“You Foals!!!” The evil princess shouted before forming a mist above her and using lightning to knock the guards out. This caused the ponies to be a little more scared. They may be strong but they weren't used to anything apart from peace. She gave an evil smirk and said, “Well my subjects! I hope you remember this day. For it will be your last ever!” She then turned into mist and with a crack of thunder she was gone.

The ponies started panicking as they tried to gather up their families and hide in their homes or make plans to flee to lands unknown. Twilight quickly made her way to the library with Naruko and Kyuubi right behind her. The three knew they needed to find out how to beat the evil princess and quickly.

The three made their way to their home not noticing Rainbow Dash in the sky behind them, having tried to catch the mist before it disappeared in the night. Kyuubi spoke first, “We need to act quickly! She hasn't yet regained all of her powers.”

“How do you know Kyuubi?” Twilight asked.

“Because as she is right now Naruko and I could defeat her in little trouble if we had 8 tails of power under our control. Unfortunately, Even though I have access to all of my tails I have to use Naruko as a power conduit for them so to speak.” Kyuubi explained.

Naruko felt like she had been slacking off this whole time, and wished she had learned to use all nine tails of their power. Kyuubi knew what she was thinking, “Don’t beat yourself up over this Naruko. I said it would take a lot less time to learn to use all of that power with our contract compared to the seal we had before. You have been making great progress. No one else would have control of 6 tails like we do now in about four and a half years.” Naruko only felt a little bit better hearing that, but not much.

“How far is she from Celestia’s power Kyuubi?” Twilight asked wanting to have an idea of where Nightmare Moon stood currently.

Kyuubi shook his head. “Not very close at all. Which means she is nowhere near as powerful as she was when she took over last time.”

“Wha-What does that mean…?” Twilight asked carefully.

Naruko was the one that answered. “The Princess of the Night is more powerful than the Princess of the Day.” Twilight’s eyes grew hearing that. Naruko saw her friend and answered her unasked question, “It only makes sense Twilight. After all Celestia couldn't beat Nightmare Moon on her power alone…. Or at least not fast enough. The stories do say she had to use the Elements of Harmony to lock her away on the moon.”

“And considering how powerful Celestia is…. We better hope Nightmare Moon doesn't fully regain her power.” Kyuubi added to Naruko’s statement.

“Especially since Celestia is out for the count. It seems….” Twilight said darkly. She was angry that Celestia didn't heed her warning. It was also unsettling that somepony was stronger than Celestia.

“Celestia may not be out of it completely. A surprise attack can really give one the advantage…Or….” Naruko said her eyes narrowing. Not wanting to say what she thought for fear of what it might imply.

“Or… what?” Asked Twilight gulping in fear but wanting an answer nonetheless.

Naruko sighed realizing what she might be saying, “There is something else going on here that Celestia hadn't told us about.”

“Regardless of if the ruler of this land hasn't told us everything or not, since we are still only two ponies and a fox. We need to focus on the matter at hand you two ponies. We can ask questions later if we don’t get the answers before this is over.” Kyuubi said.

He could see where Naruko was coming from but, this was not something they should focus on right now. Plus he felt that Naruko's fears were based on what she finally realized about Konoha alone. Kyuubi knew while Celestia was a loving and caring ruler, who wanted to be approachable she wasn't foolhardy. Celestia had ruled for over a thousand years and not just because everypony loved her, but also because she knew what to keep to herself for others sake and how to deal with matters on a grander scale.

{-} {-} {-}

They soon came to their home and started looking through the books on the shelves. Twilight was throwing them around as was Naruko. They hadn't anytime to figure out how this library was organized before everything went down. “Where is it?! Any luck Naruko?” Twilight asked in frustration.

“Nope. Nothing on the Elements of Harmony.” Naruko said in reply.

Just then she heard somepony say in an accusing voice. “And what are the Elements of Harmony? Who are you ponies really? Are you spies?” Rainbow Dash accused and was about to ram both of them before Applejack grabbed a hold of her tail again.

“Now hold on there Dash.” Applejack said through her clenched teeth. Rainbow Dash landed and Applejack spit her tail out. “Ah don’t reckon they are any spies. But ah do reckon they know what is going on here.” She then turned to them and said, “Mind explaining?”

“Nightmare Moon defeated Princess Celestia long ago and forced Equestria into eternal darkness. Princess Celestia used the Elements of Harmony to seal her in the moon a thousand years ago. It was said she would return again after a thousand years to bring about eternal night once more. The Elements of Harmony are the only things that can defeat her.” Twilight explained.

“However, we can’t find any books about them!” Twilight then said showing her frustration. As she looked out her window and noticed something mist like lingering. She turned to Naruko who was looking in the same direction and nodded minutely.

Just then Pinkie Pie said, “Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide!”

Twilight zoomed over there and grabbed the book the pink pony was pointing to. She sighed as she noticed it was under ‘E’. Pinkie started dancing as she said in a sing-song voice “It was under E!”

Twilight read about them aloud so the others would hear, and finished the reading with “… the last known location of the Elements was in the ancient castle of the Royal Pony Sisters in the Ever-Free forest.”

After that the whole group headed out to the forest. The Ponyville ponies seemed scared of the place they were going. As they made their way there Twilight dropped back to trot by Naruko and asked her in a quiet voice, “Did you see the mist hanging around the window Naruko?”

Naruko kept looking forward as she said, “Yah. It seems she is keeping an eye on us. I expect she will try to interfere.”

Twilight also looking at the Ponyville ponies and said casually, “I guess you haven’t used Kyuubi’s transformations yet so she won’t know about the connection you two have?”

Naruko just nodded to Twilight as they got closer to the forest. The other ponies seemed to be getting a little scared as they entered it. “What is wrong you girls? Have none of you been in here before?”

As they entered the forest they all shook their heads. “The Every-free forest ain't like the rest of Equestria. Things work differently in here.” Applejack said in answer.

They were about to round a bend when Rainbow Dash decided to add to Applejack’s explanation. “They say no pony… comes out alive once they enter…” She then made a little face that combined with the lighting scared Fluttershy and Rarity, as she came out from the shadows.

Naruko was looking around when she saw the mist seep into the ground. Her eyes widened and she was about to warn the others before the ground broke away from under them, causing all of the non-flyers to slide down the hill. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy grabbed the two ponies closest to them first, Pinkie Pie and Rarity.

Naruko did what she could after getting over her initial panic to speed her descent before using a burst of wind magic to help her land softly on the ground below and she next floated Kyuubi on to her back. She would have then helped the others but she noticed everyone was going to be ok.

Applejack managed to grab a root to slow herself some but she noticed Twilight was still going, so she slid down faster and dug in with her hind hooves before barely grabbing Twilight before she plummeted off the cliff. Twilight panicked, wondering what to do. Applejack’s eyes then looked up and she saw something before saying. “Let go Twilight. What I am telling right now is the full and complete truth. Let go and you will be alright.”

Twilight thought she was crazy but for some reason she could tell it was the truth. She let go and screamed only to realize she wasn't falling anymore. She then looked up and noticed Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were both holding on to her. She then saw Applejack jumping down using small cliff ledges to reach the bottom.

Once on the ground she asked, “Is everypony ok?” She got an affirmative from the others. She then sighed in relief as they continued their journey.

“Hey Naruko? What was that that you used?” Pinkie Pie asked before elaborating, “First you were all like scared trying to grab hold of something then you speed up your fall. Next you jumped down and did something with your Horn that slowed you down enough that you could land safely before getting Kyuubi on your back with magic.”

The others looked at Naruko for answers as Twilight shook her head knowing just how truly honest Applejack was being. She forgot Naruko’s mastery of wind magic and telekinetic powers as well. “My specialty is wind magic. I freaked a little at first but then remembered my wind abilities, and so I tried to get down faster so I could help others. But when I got to the bottom I saw that everyone was going to be ok.”

“Wind magic?” Rainbow Dash asked a little confused before smiling and saying, “That sounds cool!”

They kept walking and this time it was Twilight that saw a little glimpse of mist as it sped towards a shadowed figure. Soon after that there was a bestial roar as a manticore appeared in the clearing in front of them.

Naruko’s eyes widened she had read about them, but seeing one was different. She wondered what a lion with dragon wings and a scorpion tail would look like. Now she knew, though she wished she didn't. It looked very dangerous.

The beast charged and surprisingly it was Rarity that attacked first sending it a kick. The beast stumbled back a little bit before then smacking her with a paw. Next Applejack jumped on its head and tried to ride it like a bucking bull. The beast managed to throw her off sending her at Rainbow Dash. No one noticed Fluttershy trying to tell them to wait.

Rainbow Dash went in next flying fast getting ready to kick it, but the beast just simply wacked her with its tail. Naruko was about to try her shot at the beast but stopped when Fluttershy shouted, “WAAAAITTTT!!!!!” The shy Pegasus then went up to it and baby talked to it. Then she pointed to his paw and he turned it to show a small thorn in it. She picked it out and tossed it where Naruko noticed it turn into a mist and disappear into the night again.

Once the thorn was out the Manticore started licking and snuggling Fluttershy. Once the others finally got over the scene and picked their jaws up off the ground they continued. As Fluttershy caught up, Twilight asked her, “How did you know about the thorn Fluttershy?”

The yellow pony just replied, “I didn't. Sometimes we all just need to be shown a little kindness.” Twilight watched her as she walked on, not sure what to make the situation or for that matter Fluttershy’s mane sticking up and straight back.

Next they entered a darker part of the forest as soon as Rarity complained about getting tired of the moon light the path grew even darker. Kyuubi sitting on Naruko’s back noticed the place seemed to shimmer in front of them. The fox just observed for the moment.

“Ah think we are really deep in the forest now…” Applejack said as she bumped into a tree. The others looked scared and told her to get back. She looked up and freaked when she saw what looked like teeth on a tree about to eat her. The orange pony quickly ran back to the others as they slowly backed into one another, wondering what to do.

Kyuubi closed his eyes and bit his inner lip. He wasn't surprised the trees’ faces disappeared. He was surprised the sense of fear left as well though. He made a mental note. He was sure once they had the time Naruko, Twilight and him would discuss their findings on this trip before planning their next course of action if needed.

Pinkie started laughing suddenly and the others looked at her like she had really lost it now. She then started singing. This caused Twilight and the others to think that their friend was into something more than just way too much sugar. However, they listened and took her advice. They all started laughing at the different faces.

Kyuubi was surprised their method worked. He was even more surprised when the faces disappeared one at a time. He could tell because he felt the tiny little poofs of energy as each face was dispelled. He figured the only reason why he dispelled all of the at once was because of the connection he had with Naruko. This was a far worse sign then what he originally feared though.

They continued their journey and Naruko was now looking in front of her confused to hell at what she saw. There was a sea serpent with long fangs and hard scales covering its long body. However, this sea serpent wasn't at all like the ones old sailors told about in pubs after a long sailing trip. No those serpents were described as mean, nasty looking and something to be truly feared on the seas. Instead the one in front of them was crying because some mist cut part of his mustache off.

Naruko, Twilight, and Kyuubi all paid attention to the details about the mist and it sent even more alarms off in their heads. Twilight wanted to talk about it, but she couldn't right now. The other ponies might start to freak and that was the last thing they needed. Besides they seemed to be doing just fine as it was.

They soon all gasped as Rarity took a scale from the dragon and cut off part of her prized tail before using her magic to attach it to the serpent. And all of this was just because she wouldn't let “…this crime against fabulosity go uncorrected!”

The pained expression on her face when she tried to reassure them short tails were in and her tail would grow back anyways, showed just how much she had loved her tail and how much giving it up meant to her. However, because of her actions the serpent stopped disturbing the water and even let them use his body as a bridge to cross the stream.

Next they came to a cliff that Twilight almost fell off of but Naruko used her wind magic to blow the purple pony’s body back up on to the land proper. Neither of the two best friends noticed the mist pause as it saw the action. Naruko was too concerned her friend might have almost plummeted to her death. Naruko did however, stare wide eyed across the gap at the castle on the other side. “No way…” She said quietly. Only Twilight and Fluttershy heard her though, as the others were groaning at Rainbow Dash’s quip about Twilight having a thing for falling off cliffs.

Fluttershy decided to file the reaction from Naruko away for a later date. Twilight figured she would ask Naruko about it once this mess was over with or she had the time. Now though she thought out loud, “Now what do we do?” She was looking over the cliff thinking.

Rainbow Dash gave a little giggle and said, “Duh….” As she gave a few extra flaps of her wings before the others went “Ohh…” She then took off to grab the rope and tie it on the other side of the bridge so they could cross it.

As Rainbow Dash landed and tied the first side, a fog began to form and she heard a voice coming from it. “Rainbow Dash….” The blue Pegasus looked to the voice and saw three black flight suit wearing Pegasi approach her.

“Who are you guys? Are you with the Wonderbolts?” Rainbow Dash asked. Looking them over, their costumes were a very close match. She thought maybe they were wearing a practice suit currently or something and were here to help them.

“We are the best flyers you will ever meet. We are even better than the Wonderbolts. We only accept the best in all of Equestria to join us and we are here for the best flyer ever.” The one in the center said.

“Who is that?” Rainbow Dash asked as she was getting ready to tie the second bridge rope so her friends could cross.

“You Rainbow Dash.” The one in the center said. Dash paused looking at them in disbelief. “We want you to join us as our leader. With you we will rule the skies of Equestria and this whole planet with our awesomeness.”

Rainbow Dash smiled and said, “Sweet!!! Just let me help my friends first.”

Then the center one told her she had to choose between her friends or them. The blue Pegasus then heard Twilight call to her before the fog cut her off. Naruko looked across the gap and said mentally, “Kyuubi?! Were they Shadow clones?

The fox answered with a solemn voice, “No… They are real bodies made from magic. They would only disappear if the one that made them wished for it. I can sense the life energy in them.” Naruko frowned at that knowing what it meant about Nightmare Moon's powers. “We will talk about it later.” The fox told her sensing her worry.

“You….” Dash said quietly as the center Shadowbolt smirked before Dash continued, “Thank you…. But I have to turn your offer down. I can’t leave my friends alone like that.” With that the Shadowbolts gritted their teeth as they were dismissed by their mistress, having failed her.

As Rainbow dash flew back across telling them she would never leave her friends the others smiled at her. Kyuubi however frowned to himself. He felt the life energy disappear once Rainbow Dash turned them down. It sickened the fox that someone would do that so easily, more than the fact someone could do it in the first place.

{-} {-} {-}

They finally entered the castle and Naruko knew for sure now where they were. However, she was surprised to see the statue in the center of the room they were in. Last time she was here it was in the throne room not this entrance hall. She thought nothing more of it though, she figured maybe she was mixed up about things from that night. This was understandable given all that happened.

Soon Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash had placed all five statues at Twilight’s hooves. She told them she had to figure out how to activate them. Applejack figuring Twilight needed some peace and quiet asked the others to follow her to wait outside.

“Naruko do you mind staying here?” Twilight asked as the others left. Naruko nodded. Twilight needed to get some things off her mind before she could figure this out. She turned to her friend and asked, “Did you notice everything on our trip up here as well?”

Naruko nodded. “First she used magic to expand the mist in the cracks on the side of that cliff.”

“Next she used physical manifestation to make the thorn that was placed into the Manticore’s paw.” Twilight added.

“After that she cast a Genjutsu that affected both eye sight and the feel of the place. Also each face in it had to be dismissed individually by you all.” Kyuubi added.

“Wait that was a Genjutsu? How come I didn't notice?” Naruko asked.

“You were never good with that stuff Naruko, and you still aren't.” The fox said. Naruko blushed after he spoke.

“After that she used that mist to actually cut hair.” Twilight said.

Naruko’s eyes then narrowed as she said the last evidence they had. “Then she used the mist to create actual life while also manipulating the fog….”

“She is getting stronger….” Kyuubi said in conclusion as the other two nodded and Twilight went back to trying to figure out what the spark was to get them the sixth element.

As they sat their quietly they didn't notice the mist appear in the air behind them. They did however notice it sweep up the orbs. Twilight quickly jumped after them as Naruko did the same with Kyuubi holding on to her back.

The others heard Twilight yell and ran inside to look for them. Once inside they called and looked around in the room, not sure what to do. It wasn't until Rarity pointed to a tower a little further away that they saw some kind of light coming from it. They quickly jumped through the windows and made their way to the other tower. Fortunately jumping along the rooftops and pieces of fallen rock got them there quickly.

When the ponies entered the other tower and made it up to what looked like a throne room, they saw Naruko trying to fight off Nightmare Moon. The evil alicorn laughed as she barely dodged a kick from the peach tanned pony. “You actually have some fight in you. I like that.” She mocked. However, she couldn't leave the purple unicorn alone uninterrupted so she charged at her.

Nightmare Moon was about to attack Twilight when a rainbow colored streak blocked her. The evil princess didn't like this. The odds were not in her favor with this seven on one. She was about to make Shadowbolts again but then something happened that she had not expected would.

Naruko was glad the others arrived and had taken up positions to help Twilight, but her best friend needed time to figure something else out. Naruko narrowed her eyes at the black mare in front of her and thought to Kyuubi. “Kurama…. Level 3 should be able to buy Twilight the time she needs and we will still have room to fight.

Understood Naruko.” Kyuubi replied.

“Now!” Naruko shouted drawing attention to herself. Nightmare Moon’s eyes widened and she jumped back and got ready as she saw the small fox wrap itself inside of red fire and energy. Once the fire vanished her eyes widened more, as there now stood a fox the same height as her and her sister next to the blonde unicorn.

The others stared as they saw Kyuubi transform in front of them. He was no longer the cute little fox they had seen riding on Naruko’s back. His claws could be seen easily and his large sharp fangs showed as he gave a wide grin. They also saw he now had three long tails as well. Each of the ponies had their own thoughts. Rainbow Dash’s of course was, “That was so awesome!!!

Twilight was still thinking about the answer to the Elements while this happened. She already knew about Kyuubi’s transformations. She couldn't help but notice their looks a little bit though. “I wonder what they will think when they see his six tailed form” she thought to herself briefly before focusing again.

Nightmare Moon’s eyes narrowed in annoyance and anger, “A Contract Guardian!!!!! I should have known it when I saw and sensed the energy you used to save the purple one earlier.” Her horn started glowing and she sent a spell at Naruko who used her own spell to counter it. The fox then vanished, reappeared and almost landed a hit on the evil alicorn.

Nightmare jumped out of the way just barely as she glared at the Guardian in front of her. She thought they didn't exist anymore, but there was one in front of her right now. Fortunately, it seemed to be a lower level one if it only had three tails. She was sure they were going all out against her now. The downside though is she was not yet at full power so this would be a difficult fight.

The alicorn stomped on the ground as her horn glowed. She had a plan, but she would have to make quick for it to work. She threw her head back and called. “Come to me those that promised to serve me long ago! Not even death can keep you from you duty to the night!” As she finished the ground glowed an ominous white in front of her and three spectral figures in armor arose from it.

This spell actually distracted Twilight from her thoughts. She had only read about this type of magic in passing once. It chilled her to the bones. She snapped out of it and got back to her thoughts. She knew each of her friends represented one of the elements except Naruko now. She didn't understand why this was though.

Naruko was her best friend and had been for years now. If any of her friends should be an element wearer it was Naruko. She then thought over how she was calling the others friends now after knowing them for only a day. She chalked this up to them being not just friends but Fire Forged friends that came together while fighting.

Naruko and Kyuubi looked in disgust at the power being used in front of them. Kyuubi then made a hand sign and Naruko’s horn glowed as they said aloud, “Shadow Clone Jutsu!” With that there was a single pop by each of them. They had needed to shout the jutsu name so they could instead make reinforced shadow clones that wouldn't die in a single hit.

Nightmare’s eyes widened a little in surprise. She had never heard of that spell. She prepared for a fight, figuring she would have to face one of the foxes if not all four of her opponents at once. She was surprised though when the original Naruko said, “You three take on her specters. I will take her on myself.”

The group understood what was going on here. They just needed to buy time for Twilight and the others. They dashed forward and engaged the specters in combat. The two foxes used mostly smaller jutsus and paw to hoof combat. The Naruko clone fought using her hooves and magic carefully. They didn't want any casualties, accidental or otherwise.

“Are you sure it is wise to take me on yourself?” Nightmare said in a dangerous voice. Had it been somepony like the purple one she might have thought it some joke, but the guardian in front of her was not to be underestimated, especially since she wasn't returned to her full power yet.

Naruko stayed silent and charged forward sending her back hooves at the alicorn, who dodged but then had to cast a shield spell to block an incoming magical attack. The alicorn was a bit caught off guard by the second attack, but she didn't let this distract her. She needed to get rid of those elements fast so that nothing could keep her from ruling once she was at full power again. Her horn glowed as she sent a mist attack at the blonde unicorn. She cursed herself when the blonde unicorn used powerful wind magic to deflect it away.

Nightmare charged Naruko with her horn glowing. She sent a kick and followed through with two magic attacks. Naruko dodged the kick and one attack, while countering the second magic attack before sending a kick herself. When Nightmare jumped back Naruko threw a rock at her with magic and followed through with a gust attack sending the alicorn flying backwards. However Naruko forgot that she was an alicorn. Nightmare managed to open her wings and gain control before she would have hit the top of a pillar with the back of her skull.

“tch… forgot about that flying bit…” Naruko said to herself, as Nightmare smirked at her and dive-bombed the blonde unicorn. The dark alicorn thought she might have the guardian now, but then Naruko raised hoof in front of her mouth before exhaling a flame at the dark princess. Nightmare’s eyes widened as she teleported out of the way of the flame only to receive a buck once she finished her short range jump.

Nightmare recovered and glared at the blonde unicorn as she said, “You’re different from the other ponies in this day and age…. Few of them know how to fight… If you weren't assaulting your ruler I might have been inclined to enlist you in my Night Guard as a Captain.” Her eyes narrowed further as she concluded, “Pity you have to be executed for mutiny against your ruler!”

She then charged at Naruko again and before Naruko knew it, the Alicorn disappeared only to reappear behind her and send a buck her way launching her into the air. The Dark princess didn't stop there though she teleported again and bucked Naruko sideways before then sending a slicing magic attack her way. She smirked figuring she had obtained her victory, but her face turned angry as she saw the attack slice through a log at the last second instead of a pony.

Nightmare was ready for another attack, but didn't expect the attack that came her way. A bright blue ball of swirling magic energy was shot at her. The dark alicorn dodged to the side just in the nick of time as the attack hit a back pillar and exploded. The explosion distracted her and she barely noticed a fireball heading towards her when a burst of wind magic increased its speed. She only had enough time to form a shield, but even then it was formed horribly and the resulting collision sent her to the ground harshly.

She looked up to see two foxes and two blonde unicorns looking at her. She knew that the spectral warriors had been defeated. However she only lost hope of victory when she noticed the purple pony and her other friends now each represented an element of Harmony. She was even more shocked when she saw that the purple pony had also discovered the sixth element.

As the attack went on Twilight finally decided she didn't care if Naruko was an element or not. Naruko was her best friend and always would be regardless of if the blonde unicorn represented an element or not. This is what made her realize that the last element wasn't just the element of magic but a particular kind of magic, the magic of friendship. When she made her spark that unlocked the elements she thought of her friends and especially Naruko her best friend.

Her and the other ponies got ready when they saw Nightmare Moon crash to the ground. “Go ahead! End me… No pony cared for me or liked me anyways… Despite all the hard work I put into making the nights as beautiful as I could for them, and how I spent all of my life doing what I could to help Equestria, no one cared… Just end it all… I would rather it is over for me than being locked away on the moon again….” The dark princess was crying tears of sadness just barely out of her eyes, and the tears weren't a rouse. She really didn't care anymore. She wanted it to all end, but it seemed fate wouldn't let it end like that.

As the Elements of Harmony powered up Naruko dismissed her clones and Kyuubi returned to his smaller size as the blonde pony frowned and said softly, “At least one pony did care and love you Princess of the Night… But you let jealous get the better of you and fought with her.” As the rainbow beam shot towards her Nightmare Moon felt true remorse as she realized Naruko was right.

Instead of blasting her, like she thought it would, the princess felt the magic surround her and flow through her. She felt warmth and remembered her life with Celestia in its entirety. As her twisted powers and jealousy were broken away from her, she was overcome with emotion as she realized she had been given a second chance.

She fell to the ground in her younger form as Princess Luna again. She was now only a little bit bigger than a normal pony and on her head sat a small black tiara. Her coat was now a bluish purple and her Cutie mark was black with a white moon. Her mane and tail were a light bluish purple and she still had her horn and wings.

After she landed on the ground with her head bowed and trying hard not to cry, the sun rose and Celestia appeared next to her. “Sister…..” The smaller alicorn said softly. “I’m so sorry for what I did… I thought no one cared or loved me, but you did. Instead of being happy with that I got angry and jealous…. Can you ever forgive me…?” The others except Twilight and Naruko were shocked to hear the small alicorn calling Celestia sister.

Celestia gave her a warm smile as she said to her sister, “Luna. My dear sister I forgive you. You truly are regretful of your actions. Also you and I were meant to rule together.” Celestia then wrapped a wing around her younger sister as Luna hugged her tightly and cried tears of joy and sorrow into Celestia’s mane.

The others felt touched seeing the scene and after awhile Pinkie Pie shouted, “You know what this calls for?!! A Party!!!!” The gathered ponies gave a little laugh as most started to follow the pink pony out of the castle. Two ponies and a fox stayed however and waited politely.

{-} {-} {-}

Once the sisters had finished their hug Celestia looked up to see her students still there. “Is something on your minds Twilight, Naruko and Kyuubi?”

Twilight looked to Naruko who nodded and said, “Sorry to break in on your moment, but we have some questions to ask your highness Princess Celestia.” Celestia frowned but guessed she partly deserved the cold formality from Naruko at the moment.

“I’m sure you do have questions. I will answer them the best I can. You may go Luna if you want. You have had a full night already,” Princess Celestia said.

“I think I will stay, sister. After all I have a feeling it is something I should hear as well,” Princess Luna said. Celestia gave her sister a smile as she sat down motioning the others to follow suit.

Twilight started, “What is really going on here Princess Celestia? You had to of known what would happen tonight. Did you know about the elements as well?”

“I knew what would happen tonight. I also knew that you needed to make friends with those that have been chosen by the Elements of Harmony to be their bearers.” Princess Celestia answered and noticed Twilight about to ask her something while Naruko simply listened. “If I had told you this out right, you wouldn't have been able to figure out who they were, Twilight. You would have been too focused on looking for the signs from ponies all across Ponyville.”

Twilight gave a sheepish smile knowing it was true as Celestia continued. “You may have even tried to force the elements' connections with each pony. This would not have worked because the connection has to be natural and made by the elements their selves. Forcing the connection would have done more harm than good and would have eaten up more time than anything else.”

Twilight then asked, “Why did you let us face your sister then? Was there no other way for her to be freed of her jealousy? Why did you let her return if that was the case?”

Celestia gave Luna a nuzzle before she spoke again. “I wanted my sister back… For a thousand years I have regretted things turned out the way they did. Also I needed her back. There is only so much I can do. I wouldn't have let Luna return like this if there wasn't a reason. No matter how much it pained me for her to stay locked away. I love her yes, but I also have to think about Equestria’s safety before many things unfortunately. This is a burden any good leader knows all to well.”

Luna then tightened her hug on her sister and cried a little more knowing how much her sister suffered because of her stupidity and jealousy. The night princess then vowed to do what she could to help her sister and be the younger sister she should have been all along. “I am sorry, Celestia… I won’t let it happen again.” She said softly.

“Why did she need to come back now? Not that I am upset she is back or anything.” Naruko said. She then tried to give the smaller alicorn a look that showed she wasn't upset by her return. “I just want to know what is going on, since you said you needed her back.”

Celestia’s eyes narrowed as she nodded and stood up. “A fair question, Naruko. In addition to wanting my family back, and needing my only family back there is an evil darkness in the cosmos. I don’t know where it is coming from or how to protect Equestria from it yet. One thing I do know is I couldn't face it and rule Equestria alone. Besides, Luna has always been a better tactician than I am. I fear we may need her skills in that field as well as our combined powers for what is to come.”

Naruko, Twilight and Kyuubi listened carefully to the sun princess as she continued. “I don’t know much more about it. But I suspect it will affect Equestria in some way, even if indirectly. I promise to let you three know more about it once we have figured more out ourselves. Now that Luna is back we will have some time to focus on this along with our other duties and being a family again. Also I think it goes without saying, you shouldn't tell your other friends about this yet. I am sure you two will know when the time is right to tell them.”

Naruko and Twilight weren't happy with this, but they understood the need for discretion at this time. The two ponies nodded to the sun princess. Celestia then smiled and without them noticing swooped over and gave her two students hugs with her wings as she said, “I want to thank you two so much for getting me my sister back. Tell the others the same.”

Once the white alicorn, who seemed to smell like vanilla, broke the hug Twilight gathered herself and said. “Speaking of that. Why isn't Naruko an element? She is my best friend and if anyone deserved to be a bearer it is her.”

Princess Celestia gave her most faithful student a look and asked, “Do you think you will be less of a friend with Naruko just because of that? If you do then I have to say I am very disappointed in you, Twilight.”

Twilight’s eyes widened, “No! Naruko will always be my best friend no matter what. Her status as a bearer or not doesn't matter in the slightest. I just wanted to know because I feel a strong bond of friendship with the others now, even if my bond with Naruko is stronger.”

Naruko gave Twilight a hug hearing that. She felt a little fear about that as well in the back of her heart. Princess Celestia gave them a proud smile. “You always give me more reasons to be proud of you. The elements pick who their bearer is. No doubt they would have picked Naruko as one of some kind; she seems to fit each in her own way. However, the bond of Guardian and familiar is so strong that only death of the contract holder can break it. That isn't to say one can’t form other bonds, but since the Elements are magical and so is the guardian contract. The two are mutually exclusive.”

Twilight and Naruko both seemed a little relived hearing this for some reason, but it seemed there was something else bothering them now. Princess Celestia gave a little smirk as she said, “It seems I was right to tell you two that you needed to make friends. While you two are close and know a lot more about the magic of friendship than you did when you first met. You two still have a lot to learn. I hereby declare that you two both need to stay in Ponyville to further study The Truth of Bonds and Friendship. I expect reports on this, Twilight.”

The two unicorns gave a cheer and a jump before then saluting the sun princess and telling her they would do their best. She merely chuckled at her students’ response. “Now you two should go with your friends. I bet they are waiting for you outside,” The Sun Princess said as she dismissed them.

{-} {-} {-}

Later that day there was a celebration for the return of Princess Luna from the moon and her conquering of her own jealousy and hatred. Ponyville had a huge party in celebration and a parade as the two princesses made their way to Canterlot. Many ponies cheered in celebration despite still having some concerns about Luna, but they believed in Celestia and if she said Luna was cured of Nightmare Moon then she was.

Once the party died down, the other elements joined alongside Twilight and Naruko as Applejack asked. “We were wondering what you two talked to the Princesses about if ya’ll can tell us.”

Twilight and Naruko looked at each other for a couple of seconds before Naruko answered. “Some of it was private. But we were wondering about what would happen now that we had done our assignment here. We really didn't want to have to go yet. Celestia then told us that we still had a lot to learn about the magic of friendship and that we had to stay here in Ponyville to learn about it," Naruko explained.

Naruko then looked around suspiciously as if she was about to tell a really big secret before she said, "She also told Twilight to write reports so she wouldn't freak about not having something to do with her lessons.” Naruko said the last part pretending to be whispering to the others so Twilight wouldn't over hear.

The others gave a chuckle as Twilight gave Naruko a mock glare before sighing and adding. “It's pretty much true. It's the princess’ way of allowing us to stay here with you girls. You all don’t mind do you?” The purple unicorn asked a little timidly wondering if the others felt like they were friends. Naruko was wondering the same thing.

Pinkie Pie then grabbed the two in to a big hug and said cheerfully, “Of course we mind Silly Fillies. We wouldn't want to already say good bye to our two new bestest friends so soon! You two clearly need to attend more of my super amazing fantastic parties!”

Fluttershy then gave a little smile and a pleased squeak as she said, “Plus I like ponies with pets and you two have some really unique ones. And well you know… I came to like you two as friends as well.”

“Are you kidding me? Why wouldn't we want you two to stay. I said we would have to hang out again and that would be difficult if you two went back to Canterlot. Also, though I am still the awesomest and coolest, Ponyville could use more of it, and those moves Naruko busted back there and the way the fox transformed was totally awesome!” Rainbow Dash added as she rose higher into the air.

“Well Shucks, Ah always like making new friends with good pony folk and you two are good pony folk. Having ya’ll stay here just means we can become better friends,” Applejack said as she gave them a smile.

“I never did give Naruko a makeover. She doesn't really need it but I want to do so all the same. Plus, I would love more opportunity to admire that tail of hers. It is such a unique fashion! Besides I can’t wait to have a chance to get her in a dress.” Rarity added as the others laughed noticing Naruko felt a little embarrassed.

All in all Naruko and Twilight were happy they would get to stay in Ponyville with their new friends. They also liked the idea of staying somewhere besides Canterlot. There wasn't anything wrong with the capital city, but it wasn't as friendly or easy going like Ponyville.

They enjoyed the rest of the day with their new friends and they went to bed that night happy. They didn't yet know just how strong their friendships would become, or of all the adventures they would have while they stayed in Ponyville. Despite this both unicorns were eager to see what life had in store for them in Ponyville.