• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 663 Views, 8 Comments

Destiny's Call - Keragon Sharp



When a strange young mare comes out of the forest, nopony knows how to react. Her weird behavior and lack of magic skills and a cutie mark confuse everypony. But the strangest part is she disappears into the forest every night.

  • ...
3
 8
 663

Chapter Two: Enter the Magic

It had been five days since the strange dream-vision I had, and still nothing more during the day or night. Now lying in bed, ten minutes before my bedtime, I was starting to think it was only a dream, a trick of the imagination. It’s a shame, too. I wanted to know more about this “Discord” character. Was he really communicating with me through my dream? Or did my mind create the odd being? These questions had consumed my mind for the past school-week, and not even Language Arts, my favorite class, could get my mind off that mystical dream. There were so many questions I had, yet I was nearly certain they would never be answered.

That night was like any other night; my cat inspected my room and got into my bed, my mom kissed me goodnight and turned off the lights, and I took thirty minutes to fall asleep. Before plummeting into slumber, I whispered into the night, “Discord, be my imagination or reality, answer my questions tonight......”

My first dream in five days, and it didn't end well. In fact, it didn't end at all. I was back in that same forest at what seemed to be the same time of night. I didn't want to hesitate this time. I wanted answers. And I wanted them now. I ran right into the forest, ignoring any foreign flora that brushed past, hoping to find Discord in that same clearing. But I was only partially satisfied. I came across the clearing after a while, but couldn't find Discord anywhere. Instead, I found what looked like an extremely overly fancy mirror, and three stones on the ground. I looked around, making sure there was no one else around. Suddenly, I heard a voice, Discord's voice, echo through the air with a poetic tone. One of these stones will assist in your plight; brute force, magic, or the gift of flight; you must choose the one you believe is right; and it will guide you throughout all day and night.

I gasped. "Discord! Where are you?" The only answer I received was his rhythmic laughter.

Apprehensively, I shifted my gaze towards the stones. They were each a bit smaller than the size of a fist, and each had a different symbol carved into its surface. The first had a simple sketch of a horseshoe, the second a horn a unicorn might have, and the third a cool-looking wing. said to choose one to “assist in my plight” although I failed to see what plight I was in, and how a rock with a cute drawing on it would help. But I had to choose, so I began to think which one I should choose.

Brute force is not my style, I pondered, so that’s out of the question. Magic and flight are both cool things, so I guess I’ll choose between those two. I began thinking which I should pick when everything around me suddenly rippled, and I figured the dream was starting to fade. I panicked and looked between the two, frantically wondering which I should choose. Magic or flight, magic or flight. Come on Madisyn, think, think, think!

“Oh forget it!” I grabbed the rock with the unicorn horn and picked it up. Suddenly, the rock started to shake violently, and all the creases in the rock that made up the image started to glow. First red, then green, then blue, then purple, and finally an amazing array of so many colors I couldn't name them all before the stone started levitating while still in my hand. The flying rock shot fifty feet straight into the air, dragging me with it. I couldn't let go, or I would plummet, and although I wouldn't die, the dream would end after I was so close to answers. The rock suddenly barreled right for the strange small pool on the ground. I closed my eyes and braced for the impact.

But there was no impact. I heard a whoosh, and opened my eyes to see I was lying on the grass in the same clearing. The rocks and odd water holder wad vanished, and I was back on the ground. I tried to stand up, but it felt improper, and I fell to the ground. I sat up straight, but then saw something that mesmerized and shocked me much more than my first dream. I no longer had my hands or fingers, but a more.... equine body form. I couldn't help but stare at the changes that must have occurred when my eyes were shut. Now understanding I was a horse of some form, I tried to stand up on all four legs like a normal horse would, which actually wasn't that hard. My new body form was not difficult to control or use; it was as if I had always had it. I looked around for any other signs of life to help me or a pool of water to look at myself. I couldn't find either, so I was forced to trudge into the shadowy, ominous forest.

After what seemed like a few hours of walking through the night, I felt afraid, thirsty, exhausted; I thought I would die. But it’s only a dream. Then why does it feel so real? I was about to give in to weakness when I saw what looked like buildings in the distance. I started to run, no gallop -I have to get used to this horse body- to the town. I broke through the forest and was finally in what looked like civilization. But it had to be midnight, and everyone was asleep. I couldn't take it. I was so afraid I yelled out with what felt like my last breath.

"Help! Someone please!” I burst into the night as I started to pass out. “Help...me..."