• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 6,035 Views, 128 Comments

Silas Epista - Maneiac



This story has all you could ever want: aliens, ponies, and adventure. What else is it missing?

  • ...
94
 128
 6,035

Average Day [Rewritten]

Dragon kick your ass into the milky way~!

I stopped the flow from the shower-head and pulled back the curtain, hearing its rings chink along the metal at my eye level loudly to announce a clean draconian. As much as I love vegetating, getting shit done takes precedence over that.

I had entered the shower two hours after we had breakfast, Sunset and I. We then spent a little bit of that time conversing about our pasts a little bit more. Sunset had explained to me once more that her teacher was Princess Celestia, but she also revealed a bigger piece of information. She also told me that while it is Luna’s duty to raise and lower the fucking moon, it was Celestia’s job to raise and lower the fucking sun. I was more amazed by the fact that someone who raises a celestial body would take the time out of her sure-to-be-busy life, in order to teach a foal about magic.... and friendship apparently.

“It’s a madhouse, I tell ya’; a madhouse. Still, that is pretty badass for a couple of princesses. Guess they’re not the namby-pamby type of Disney Princess after all; not that I’m surprised by this news. Princess Luna made it abundantly clear with her appearance in my Station that this planet is fucked up in its own way as well. Guess two strong sisters would be needed to live through it... although she seemed a little more straightforward than how Sunset described Celestia to be. Siblings are never the same, anyways; I should know that my damn self.... Jesus, I’m cussing a lot today.” I grabbed my towel with a sigh and dried off inside the shower.

It didn’t take me long to dry off and redress, which brought me to the mirror shortly afterwards. Clearing the steam off it’s reflective face with a hand-towel, I stared at my face as it was bent in different directions. “Hmmm, I don’t know why I’m doing this.... actually,” I stopped and frowned at myself for being distracted so easily, “it’s pretty dumb. It’s time to go train!”

Turning on my heels, I opened the door and walked out, leaving the door open so that her mirror couldn’t remain fogged up. Three steps to the right and I was at the entrance to Sunset’s living room, where she was happily enjoying a cup of coffee while reading what appeared to be an old tome of some sort.

The book itself was massive, and had a lot of funky symbols an overly-religious person would claim to be from the Devil. “What are you reading,” I asked with a little apprehension as the symbols themselves began shifting. I nodded my head when they turned into Common... or English. “Tome of Arcane Inscriptions and Formulas, Arch-Master Level Ten? What does it say down low at the bottom there...” I frowned playfully. “... By Sunset Shimmer.”

“Something light. What are you doing?” She peeked over her book at me by lowering it with her aura. I puckered my lips when I thought of her as a monster, because my abnormal ability to comprehend things made me discern that even high-level unicorns could only dream of being where Sunset is now.

“I’m going outside to train. Gotta get ready for my next visit to the Station.” Sunset stared at me for a second.

“If it’s in your dreams, does it actually matter how much training you do?” Sunset, before I could answer, raised her book back up with a roll of her eyes. “It’s not like you’re actually going to stop training because of that, right?”

I laughed and opened the front door. “You’re goddamn right I will! I’ll be back in time for supper. Sunny. Make sure you make yourself ‘something light’ for lunch.” As I went through the door, I heard an amused sigh leave her lips as I closed it behind me. The walk into the clearing from when I first met Sunset took little time away from the day itself, and I felt quite relaxed upon reaching it.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. The autumn wind brushed against my face as I reached out with my claws, holding them into the air with a cleared consciousness. “First order of today... flying. I’m going to learn how to fly quickly!” Spreading my wings, I gave them a couple of flaps and felt the muscles in my back cry out in relief at finally being used.

“Right, so extension comes easily enough. I feel as though actually flying is going to be a pain in the ass, but I’ll have it down in no time. Let’s just hope there isn’t too much crash and burn involved...” Sighing deeply, I gave a couple of test flaps and dispersed my weight throughout my body. Feeling lighter, I allowed myself a couple of hard flaps, and nearly yelled in surprise when I left the ground a little bit.

Calming myself, I took a deep breath and started again. My feet came off the ground, and I was having no trouble with hovering in place. “Why does something tell me that the moment I start trying to fly forwards, shtit’s going to get interesting?” Frowning while hovering, I closed my eyes and tried thinking of some key things that could get me to fly forwards without crashing and burning.

“Birds seem to launch themselves forwards diagonally before flying straight. That probably applies to most avian animals as well. Well, here goes nothing...” I used my wings to fly up a little bit, before a sudden gale of wind sent me... you guessed it... crashing and burning.

“Ow, motherfucker! Where the hell did that come from!?” I opened my eyes and found myself peering up at the snickering face of Altaria. I sighed in annoyance, rolling my eyes as the Bullivian Gigantacles started to reform itself into the form of Atharva again. She peered down at me with that same cocksure and amused smile.

“That wasn’t too bad for your first attempt since regaining your memories, Silas. I added that gale to garner your attention.” She snickered a little bit before adding, “The fact that you fell was pretty hilarious considering the gale wasn’t that strong! I’ve decided to train you in the art of flight, though. I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it quickly if I teach you!”

I sighed and dusted myself off, standing up while giving a few flaps of my wings to expel dirt off of them as well. “I don’t really see a problem with you teaching me if you want. If it’ll learn me faster, I’m willing to go through some pranks; as I’m sure you’re plotting to apply in my training regiment.”

Atharva stuck her tongue out with a smile.

“... Figures.” I shook my head in a little bit of annoyance, rising into the air again with my wings. The dull flaps made me sound like a total badass, but those semantics aren’t really important for my lessons. “Now what, Atty?”

She blinked at the use of my nickname from earlier, then smiled happily. “Keep flapping like that. You need to become familiar with the basics before you move. Stay aloft for half an hour.... I’m going to nap under this tree.” I frowned as the Goddess-Queen sat underneath the branches of an evergreen and smiled at me a little wider. “This is prank one, by the way; we still have ten more to go before training ends...”

I crossed my arms but obeyed, feeling the muscles in my back tire out little by little as the clock wound down. “I know what she’s doing. It’s a means of endurance training to keep me properly conditioned for flight in long intervals of time. Doesn’t take a genius to figure that out.... but why would I need to fly for long periods of time?”

“Your Fester betrays your thoughts, Silas. The wing muscles in your back have grown soft while in hyper-stasis... and relying on Judgement to do all your travelling will eventually leave you helpless should you become stranded. Proper flight technique and endurance will be a key factor to your survival, Silas babe; don’t take them for granted and let them spoil away.” She tipped her head at me and went back to sleep.

Rolling my eyes and then closing them, my thoughts became blurs as I thought of other factors that should be incorporated into my flying regiment when actual movement can be achieved. “Thermals should be explored. I know that in warmer winds, flying becomes easier but more dangerous, for the currents are accelerated and capable of tossing you off course. Cold climates require more flaps to stay aloft, therefore more exertion on my part.”

My mind continued to ponder such things for what felt like hours. Shaking my head after realizing how long I’ve been out of it, I looked down and nearly lost my shit. “How did I get so high up!? What the hell is this!?” My freakout session lasted for just a few moments longer, but I was eventually able to reel myself back in.

“Never fly while thinking... it’s a bad idea... check,” I mentally noted, turning around in the air in order to see a beautiful sight. I was dispersed among the clouds, giving me a heavenly vantage point of blue sky and ocean some miles away. Luscious green forests and plains stretched out towards the coastline, and the water glistened as if a disco was going on underneath the ocean’s tides.

My mouth curved up into a smile at the awesome scenery. “Now that’s a little epic...” Sighing, I increased the length of the intervals between my wing flaps, slowly descending towards the ground. It took around two minutes to touchdown, where Atharva was tapping her foot with a raised eyebrow in my direction.

“You certainly like to become enraptured within yourself, Silas. You’ve actually been flapping for over half an hour. How do you feel?” Atharva’s question was laced with a little bit of annoyance, but I swallowed my nervousness from making her a little upset and settled down on the ground.

“It’s starting to feel natural, Atharva. Another day or so of practice, and I should be able to fly with little problems.” I grinned and hugged her, feeling pretty good about myself. She sighed into the affectionate caress, her heart beating a little faster as she purred.

“Good. We’re going to practice movement tomorrow, and will continue to go on from there everyday. It will get to the point where after the first week, you should be where you were before losing your memories; in terms of flying, that is.” Atharva morphed back into Altaria and squawked loudly, flying onto my shoulder without so much as a blink.

Sighing, I folded my wings up and walked back to Sunset’s cabin. Today’s training was slow, but I have a pretty good feeling about the days to come in regards to it!

“Annnnd, I’m back,” I announced as I stepped through the door. Sunset was in the middle of enjoying a sandwich with no meat.... just flower petals, cheese, and lettuce. “I haven’t had meat in a long time. I should probably go hunt a little bit.” I turned around, but stopped myself when Sunset’s choking noises reached my ears.

“Meat!? Why would you…” Her voice filled with concern. “Right, you are a dragon aren’t you? You don’t eat ponies… right?” She continued to eye me warily as I scrutinized her, giving the illusion that I was interested in eating ponies; because she left herself open to this gag and I’m going to run to the hills with it!

“Hmm...” I hummed and scratched at my neck. “I have a headcanon that leprechauns bleed Lucky Charms; so what would ponies bleed.... rainbows?” At my suggestion, Sunset narrowed her eyes and bared her teeth a little. I chuckled and waved her off. “I’m kidding, Sunny. The ponies of this world are obviously sapient, so why would I eat them? I’ll acquire some wild stag or somesuch, then. As an herbivore, I won’t be rude and eat or cook my game in front of you.” I turned and opened the door.

“I should probably get hunting now. I’ll be back before dinner, Sunny.” I waved over my shoulder and shut the door behind me. Finding a rabbit or a deer was going to be pretty hard, considering I don’t know the lay of the land. “Pretty sure I can manage though; it’s not like there’s anything dangerous in these woods.... although it’s still too early to tell.... God, I want some deer jerky.”

Licking my lips at the thought of salted dry meat, I began my trek into the woods. Along the way, I slashed the trees on my left with a claw, so on the return trip, I just had to follow the trees with slashes on them. “Hmmm, this is a little exciting and boring at the same time. Some music will probably lighten things up! Hey, Siri; could you po-”

“Song? I’ve actually been scrolling through your library the entire time.... you have some odd tastes, man. I mean, you get points for liking the heavy stuff, but by Tiamat’s unsoiled twat; half of this stuff is pretty lame!”

I sighed and shook my head, slashing another tree. “I’ve been told that before, Siri; thanks for reminding me. Some good trekking music would be good; something upbeat and catchy....” I widened my eyes and smiled. “Play ‘Float On’, by Modest Mouse, Siri. It may not be as heavy as you like it, but I’m trying to relax before I find some game.”

Siri sighed. “You got it, Champ.”

[

As the music poured into my head, I found myself moving at a slower pace while snapping my claws with each step. It was the exact opposite of sneaking around, I know, but this was Modest Mouse and it was hard to not shake your groove thang when this song came on! It’s not my fault!

“We’ll alll float on al-right~!” And now I was singing along to the chorus softly, moving to a tree on my left and slashing it again. The trek through the woods was pretty well off by the end of the song, which made me a little happy that I had made enough progress to actually get my bearings.

“Thanks again, Siri. Now, how to hunt as a dragon...” Smiling, I angled my head into the air and gave a couple test sniffs. For a moment, the air was filled with nothing but the scent of pine and wildberries. Then, like a laser beam, the smell of recently-killed fish entered my nostrils at an impossible speed. “I smell blood with it, too. So something that eats fish is to the West.... what about the East?”

Sniffing about again, my nose eventually picked up on the smell of sweat and... blood. Where there was sweat, there was something alive. And where there was something alive, more often than not, there was game. Smiling wider, I headed East, still carving my path of ruined trees all the while.

About ten minutes in, and the scent got stronger. I slowed my steps down to the crawl of a snail, ebbing my way over dried twigs and crunchy leaves; theses things being the bane of any hunter careless enough to step on them, and should be avoided at all cost when tracking. “The scent of flesh is overpowering everything else, now. Something’s around this tree, and it’s about to get acquainted with with my claws and teeth!”

Peeking around the tree, I felt my smile transform into a world-eating one that displayed all my teeth. A doe and a buck were eating berries from a bush, their tiny tails swishing back and forth as they enjoyed their find. “And I’m about to enjoy mine~!”

I got down low to the ground, spreading my legs while digging my claws into the earth below. Patience was key in hunting, and you must never run out of it unless you want your game to get away. Should anyone be watching me right now, they would think I was some small dragon wearing clothes with a really odd way of standing.... not that there’s anything wrong if someone like that exists.

I sat there, tenderly flicking the air with my tongue. I could smell the overwhelming, intoxicating aroma of their skittish nature. The buck would occasionally look up from the bush and snap his head left and right, before going back to eating with his mate. “The doe is off limits; her stomach’s round. One life must replace another.” I crept forward slowly, the dirt cold and malleable under my strength.

The buck’s head came up again, making me tense up and stop. My reactions were quick enough to dissuade the buck from acting on the noise he heard. When he went back in for another bite, I was already sinking my claws into his neck and carving a smile into it from ear to ear. The doe was already running away, as were many other stag that happened to be around.

Peeling myself off the dead buck on the ground, I gave a guffaw of victory as it ejected the last of its life through a jerking leg motion. As the final sigh left its mouth, I bent down and chomped into its neck, searing the bleeding wound close with a plume of fire. The blood helps to keep the muscles succulent and moist, and carries with it the most flavor. It would be unwise to bleed the carcass... especially when I plan to make jerky out of it.

“Now to make a fire pit...”

I chewed on a piece of jerky with a smile as I trekked back to the cabin. I had stuck everything I could get out of the deer into a journeyman’s sack and stick made of a strong branch and woven oak leaves. I had about three sacks tied to the end; a good harvest that will last me a while before I need to hunt again.

“Mmmm, how I’ve missed you, meat~!” I swallowed my deer jerky and dipped into the bag I was holding with gusto, nestling the stick carrying the rest between my bent-over head and neck. “Siri, I’m coming by with what I’ve caught. Please make sure there’s some appropriate spacing available.”

“Champ; Judgement is damn near empty. Just bring it on by and head back to Sunset’s place. You have to finish cooking, remember?”

“I didn’t forget, Siri; thank you. I’ll be there shortly.”

After I dropped the food off and made my way back to Sunset’s cabin, I stepped inside to hear the familiar sound of a running shower. I yawned and didn’t bother to announce that my trip was over, making my way over to the kitchen in order to cook her some sauteed kale.

The meal was easy enough to cook, and I even got it done before she got out of the shower! I ate a little bit of it myself, just to balance out the heavy meat snack I had earlier. Once my plate was done, I reached into her fridge and grabbed an apple. “Damn, it’s not a Pink Lady! Guess I’ll settle for Ol’ Red, then...” I bit into the apple without rinsing it off, because why the fuck not?

I walked over to the couch and laid down on it, kicking my feet up while staring at the ceiling. “So this is gonna be it for a couple of days, eh? Train, hunt, and cook? That’s pretty easygoing, if I do say so myself!”

The sound of hooves on linoleum caused me to bat my eyes to the left. Sunset was now staring at me with a huge blush on her face, which was partially covered by a white towel as she dried off.

“Yo.” I waved hello at her.

“You didn’t announce... anything...”

“Nope. Dinner is on the table though, Sunny. Please don’t let the kale get cold.” I popped the rest of the apple into my mouth, chewed it, and then swallowed. “As much as I enjoy cooking for you, it’s not gonna matter too much if you can’t eat it, right?”

Sunset huffed, giving up instantly as I closed my eyes for a nap. “Yeah, I hear you. Just make sure you come to bed and don’t sleep out here. I was rather comfortable last night.” Sunset winked at me before making her way into the kitchen, causing my cheeks to heat up somewhat.

“What is wrong with that mare!? She can’t do gestures like that while wet and in a towel! Has she lost her damn mind!?” I took many breaths to steady myself, before resigning myself to sinking further into the couch’s folds.

“You know you want that, Champ~! Your heart beat spiked to dangerous levels, lover boy,” Siri goaded, making me roll my eyes and turn over on the couch.

“Screw this; I’m going to sleep.”