• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 1,177 Views, 64 Comments

LOST Little Ponies: Pilot - Perceptive Key



After crash-landing on a deserted island, Twilight, her friends, and the remaining survivors of Airship 815 must band together to escape. But, they must also deal with the strange, mysterious forces that inhabit this new island...

  • ...
1
 64
 1,177

1. Savior (Updated)

Chapter 1
Savior

The new breed of airships that had emerged in recent years were of a revolutionary design. The ship itself was a closed cabin, with two, large wings spread out from the exterior of the fuselage. Many expected these new air travel devices to use the traditional hot air balloons as their main source of flight, but not a single inflatable device was required to keep it aloft. Instead, there were special engines on each wing that were charged by unicorn magic, working to propel the ship forward for take off. When it reached cruising altitude, the magic would be put on reserve as the air rushing through the engine would sustain flight. Many ponies were now beginning to call them 'aeroplanes, airplanes,' or simply 'planes.' The last two were more commonly used than the first due to them being shorter, and easier to pronounce for some. Twilight, herself, had actually commented on the construction, saying that it was quite a feat in aerodynamics.

Now, Twilight was in shock. The aerodynamic design that had impressed her a mere six hours before was lying in a flaming mass of mangled metal and wreckage. Fragments of the ship were scattered about the scene, some of which were burning with the red-orange colors of fire. The right wing was suspended in the air, clinging to the fuselage by rapidly weakening metal clamps.

Twilight acted immediately, and ran towards the twisted wreck with a new goal in mind. She was going to help anyone she could find. Anyone. She darted for the fuselage, rushing past limping and maimed ponies. As she approached the wreckage, Twilight could now make out everything more clearly. The ship was missing the tail and cockpit sections, leaving only the central cabin space on the beach. The unicorn was slowed in her approach by one of the engines that was still on from flight. It was like an extremely powerful vacuum was trying to suck her into its gigantic, razor sharp maw. She stumbled away from the vaporous vortex and resumed her run.

The screaming pony was right in front of her, now, and Twilight looked at her in surprise, as well as partial happiness. It was Rarity. The white coated unicorn mare was standing stationary next to the engine and had her eyes shut tight, screaming loudly.

Twilight quickly approached her. "RARITY!" she shouted. The screaming mare only responded by continuing her current vocalizations. Twilight shook her friend vigorously, "RARITY! YOU HAVE TO GET AWAY FROM THE ENGINE!" The unicorn was unresponsive and continued her distressed exclamations.

Suddenly, a brown coated, blue maned stallion rushed up behind Rarity and Twilight. The lavender mare stepped up to him. "WHAT'S YOUR NAME?!"

"P-PEN SCRATCH!" the stallion answered back uncertainly.

"COULD YOU HELP GET HER OUT OF HERE?!" Twilight indicated the screaming mare next to her.

The stallion simply nodded and wrapped a hoof around the frightened fashionista, beginning to lead her out of range of the engine's suction. "STAY AWAY FROM THE ENGINE!" she warned.

"NO PROBLEM!" the stallion replied loudly.

Twilight watched them evacuate before returning her attention to the ship. She watched more ponies hurry out from within the main wreckage, looking for any sign of her other friends. She watched as a small, purple and green dragon stumbled out of the fuselage. The miniscule creature coughed and collapsed to his knees.

"SPIKE?!" Twilight screamed.

The dragon heard her shouts and saw her. They made eye contact and he gave Twilight a weak wave before collapsing forward into the sand. Twilight cried out in utter fear and rushed over to his side. She knelt down next to her dragon assistant and hurriedly turned him onto his back. Spike's tongue lolled out of his mouth when he was moved, and Twilight feared the worst. She immediately began administering CPR, planting her forehooves on his tiny chest and pushing down a few times. Then, she sucked in a deep breath before lowering her mouth down to his and releasing the air that would flow back into his lungs. She had read many books on lifesaving in her scheduled free time, leading her to study the subject more deeply in the event that it may come in handy.

"Please Spike," Twilight pleaded hopefully, "please be okay!" She repeated the technique while the drama around her continued to unfold. The engine was sucking up stray objects like clothes and suitcase fragments, consuming them greedily and to no end. Twilight was interrupted in her applied resuscitation by Spike gasping for breath. Twilight gasped herself, more out of relief then a desire for oxygen.

"Twilight...?" Spike coughed. The purple mare smiled and nodded, her eyes brimming with tears of joy.

"HELP!!!" a voice suddenly called out in pain, their tone slicing through the noise surrounding them. "PLEASE HELP ME!!!"

Twilight turned in the direction of the voice and spotted the outline a pink colored mare, lying on her side and much closer to the ocean. She was facing away from the unicorn, and the heat and smoke made it near impossible for Twilight to distinguish any other features. She wanted to help her, but she couldn't leave Spike. She looked around for anypony that wasn't injured or already helping anyone, but was out of luck.

Thankfully, another pony wandered out of the destroyed plane. Twilight instantly recognized the mint colored mare as Lyra Heartstrings. The green unicorn coughed as she stumbled out, her route of escape intercepted by Twilight.

"LYRA!" Twilight shouted above the ever increasing roar of the engine, getting the mint pony's attention. "I NEED YOU TO GET SPIKE OUT OF HERE!" she pointed to the baby dragon. Lyra nodded shakily and lifted the small form of Spike onto her back. "Thank you," Twilight said as Lyra hurried away with the weak Spike lying on her back. "STAY AWAY FROM THE ENGINE!" she repeated her warning to Lyra.

Now that Spike was safe, Twilight could help the mare that was in distress. She galloped down the beach and past the unmoving forms of other ponies lying in the sand. Twilight wasn't sure if they were dead or unconscious, but, thankfully, there were some other survivors dragging them up the beach and away from the wreckage. As she neared the pink pony, Twilight nearly tripped in surprise. Cadence was lying on her side and groaning in pain, her hooves clutching her distended abdomen.

The engine noise wasn't as loud here, but Twilight still had to shout to be heard. "Cadence!" she called. The unicorn quickly approached her alicorn sister-in-law. "Are you alright?!"

Cadence was pregnant, but Twilight had been aware of her condition long before she and her friends left for Sydneigh. But Twilight was completely and utterly shocked to see her old foalsitter, now, lying on a beach next to a crashed airplane. She was completely unaware that Cadence had even been in Sydneigh, let alone been on the same flight!

"Twilight!" Cadence gasped.

The purple pony got down next to her legal relative. "What's wrong?!"

"I think I'm having contractions!" the alicorn replied, her voice strained.

Twilight looked around in fear. "ARE THERE ANY DOCTORS?!" she called out. "ANYONE?!"

A stallion a ways up the beach, dozens of feet from the wreck, heard the cries for help. He saw the pair of ponies sitting in the sand on the opposite end of the plane. "WAIT!" he shouted in reply, "I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!" He looked back to the pony lying beside him, a cyan blue pegasus with a rainbow mane was passed out in the sand. Her wings were badly damaged, most likely broken, but she was stable for now. The stallion turned back to the other two and dashed towards them.

Twilight watched him approach her and Cadence. "Are you a doctor?!" the former of the two questioned.

The earth pony had a dark grey coat and a black mane and tail, both of which were tangled and disheveled. "I am!" he confirmed, "What's wrong?!" He then took stock of Cadence's pregnancy almost instantly. "How many months?!"

"A... little over nine," the alicorn replied before squinting in pain.

"How far apart are the contractions?!" the stallion asked Cadence.

"I-I don't... know," she admitted.

"SOMEPONY HELP ME!!!" The three of them were interrupted by cries for help. Twilight and the stallion looked over to the source of the exclamations. In the shadow of the overhanging wing, an orange earth pony with a blonde mane was struggling under the weight of a steel plate.

Twilight gasped, "Applejack! How did I not see her?!" The mare turned back to the doctor next to her. "I'll go help her!" she said, "please stay with her!" she pointed at Cadence. The stallion nodded in understanding and turned back to the pregnant mare in front of him.

Twilight returned to her hooves and started to run for her trapped friend, but she turned back to the stallion. "What's your name?!" she quizzed.

"Mend!" he replied.

"Thank you, Mend!" Twilight resumed her sprint to the trapped farm pony.

Two other ponies were already at the scene, trying to lift the metal up and extract the mare, but their efforts were fruitless. It took the efforts of both ponies to lift the metal a few inches, but another was required to pull the distressed mare out. Applejack was definitely in pain, Twilight concluded after nearing her friend, seeing the mare's expression. Her legs must have been pinned beneath the hard sheet. She turned to the two ponies, one unicorn mare and one pegasus stallion. "On the count of three, you lift and I'll pull her out!" she ordered them. The pair nodded and prepared themselves, sliding their hooves under the metal for leverage.

"One, two, THREE!" Twilight shouted. At once, the ponies raised the metallic plate covering Applejack, allowing Twilight to grab her friend's hooves and slide her out from beneath it. When Applejack's rear legs were clear, Twilight knew instantly that the right one was broken, or sprained at best.

"Twilight..." Applejack said through a haze of pain.

"Shh," the lavender pony silenced her half-conscious friend. "Don't worry AJ," she said, "you're okay." Twilight turned to the assisting rescuers, "We need to get her out of here before-!"

Twilight was cut off by the loud cracking and creaking of the wing. The metal extension directly above them dropped slightly as the joints started giving way with bursts of deafening snaps.

"RUN!" Twilight screamed. She and the two others grabbed Applejack, and the orange pony wrapped her hooves around their necks while they led they way out from underneath the teetering structure. More ponies that had been sitting under the wing were quickly getting to their hooves and running, or limping, up the beach, shouting for others to run as well.

"IT'S COMING DOWN!!!"

"GET OUT OF THERE!!!"

"HURRY!!!"

The final piece snapped apart and the wing plummeted towards the ground. It slammed into the sand, knocking bucketfuls of the material into the air with the outgoing force. Twilight and the ponies with her were knocked forward, face planting into the beach. Applejack cried out as her injured legs hit the ground, pain renewing itself the moment they made contact.

"Applejack!" Twilight exclaimed in alarm.

The mare put a hoof on Twilight's shoulder. "Don't worry! We'll get her to safety!" The mare turned to the stallion, who nodded and placed Applejack's hoof around his neck while the mare did the same for Applejack's other leg. Twilight watched them walk up the beach with her friend in tow between them.

*HHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!*

Twilight spun back around to notice the engine again, the source of the wail. The device was now spewing black smoke and shooting it off into the air behind it. Twilight checked the area around it to make sure that everypony was clear in the event that the engine exploded, but there were two ponies that were within her predicted blast radius.

Cadence and Mend.

"Really?!" Twilight complained before running back down to the pair on the beach. Two ponies tried to stop her from rushing in, but she quickly shrugged them off and warned them to get as far away from the deadly turbine as possible. As she neared her sister and the stallion, she shouted out, "GET HER AWAY FROM THERE!!!"

Mend heard Twilight's warning and saw the engine's pre-detonation state. He acted quickly, getting Cadence to place a hoof around his neck for support. The frantic mare reached them, and Cadence was able to wrap her other hoof around Twilight's neck. The trio hurried away from the engine, stumbling a few times under the weight of the alicorn and her condition. They were almost clear when the engine exploded.

The cylindrical turbine had had enough. The smoke was as thick as it could possibly be and the engine was sucking up every single thing within five feet of it, including a metal bar that had been thrown with the force of the wing impacting the sand. The bar was carried into the razor maw of the engine and caught on the blades. The metal shattered with the force and clogged the intake. Within a second, the out-of-control machine blasted out, shooting flames out and into the sky and scattering dangerous debris across the beach. Everypony took cover the instant it happened. Twilight, Mend, and Cadence landed in the sand, metal shards whizzing by their heads. Some ponies were, at the worst, singed from the outburst of fire, and small gusts of flame were scattered about the beach and were slowly dying down.

Twilight lifted her head out of the sand and turned to Cadence. "Are you alright," she asked in a normal tone. The air around them was now free of engine noise, allowing their shouting to be put to rest. Twilight's throat was burning from the screaming and the smoke that had been coming from the wreck.

Cadence nodded, "I think I'm alright."

Mend sat up and rubbed his head, many grains of sand falling out of his mane. "That was rather... fun... actually," he gave a confused grin, as he, himself, was unsure of what to make of the situation.

Twilight shook her head at his remark, but did smile. The overall strain of the disaster had pushed Twilight to her limits, and her mind was finding the experience to be terrifying, dangerous, saddening, and, as Mend stated... fun. It must have been a small side effect from her exhaustion, since it wasn't the first time it had happened. "I'm going to see if anyone else needs help," Twilight announced.

Mend's expression returned to being serious, "Alright. Let me know if there's anypony else that needs medical attention."

"Understood," Twilight responded. The unicorn stood up and winced.

The action caught Mend's attention. "Are you alright?" he asked Twilight with concern, "Your dress is stained with quite a bit of blood."

The mare gave a weak laugh, "I'm fine. This is from another pony I was helping, earlier," she lied.

"Well, judging from the amount on your back, that pony might need some stitches," Mend remarked, "or they're running a serious risk of infection. I'll have to check on them as soon as possible. Be sure to bring them to see me as soon as possible."

"I'll be sure to bring them to you," Twilight grinned weakly as she walked away. Mend returned his attention back to Cadence, the pregnant mare was in less pain, now, but Mend wanted to make sure that Cadence was no longer in labor.

Twilight wandered up the beach, thinking to herself. She had almost completely forgotten about the gash, as well as her original goal to mend it. Twilight had refused to tell Mend, thus allowing him to devote more time into helping Cadence.

Twilight looked around at the baggage and cases scattered around the wreckage. She spotted a purple one that looked familiar and identified it as Rarity's sewing bag. Twilight unzipped the front pocket and rummaged through until she pulled out a small sewing kit. There was an assortment of needles and multicolored threads neatly organized within the small plastic container. Twilight took the equipment and searched a second bag. The tag had labeled it as Berry Punch's, leading Twilight to believe that there would be something containing alcohol inside. She searched the main bag and, luckily, was able to produce a small vial of the substance. The lavender mare sighed and walked away from the wreck, checking one last time to make sure that everything was now under control.

The hulking mass of metal that was the plane loomed over most of the survivors. Teams of able bodied ponies were helping pull others out of the sand, as well as venturing into the main cabin to search for survivors. Some of the unmoving forms that were being carried worried Twilight, and so she quickly turned her back to the devastating scene and hurried away.

Author's Note:

Another reason to list as AU:
Cadence is pregnant. I needed a pregnant character and she was the logical choice. You can all hang me later. Please don't down vote because of this. It's categorized Alternate Universe for a reason.

If there are any problems or inconsistencies in this chapter, please let me know. Also, does anyone know any proofreaders?

Author OCs shown in this chapter:
Pen Scratch: The stallion that lead Rarity away from the plane's engine. OC created by stiggerzz.
More OCs will be appearing in the following chapters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I'll be limiting the amount of OCs that can be submitted to FIVE MORE!
If you HAVE NOT already submitted an OC, then I will gladly accept them.
If you already HAVE created an OC, then I will not accept them so I can give others a chance to create some.