• Published 16th Jun 2013
  • 688 Views, 49 Comments

Regarding the Bull of Bashan Affair - Lisboa



A new threat looms over Equestria in the middle of their worst social and environmental crisis. Will the Main Six be able to stop it?

  • ...
4
 49
 688

Enter Bashan

Rainbow Dash didn’t know what was going on. Everything happened so quickly. She was going about to be hanged, but a few seconds later, opening her eyes the rope has hanging loose from her neck. There was something she was sure: she was leaving the hay out of there. Nopony would make a fuss about that now. Not when a strange creature was getting the attention of the entire crowd. She ran away, after bumping Rickshaw out of the way. She would worry about untying her wings later.

“Who the hay is that?” asked Applejack, who trotted out of the crowd towards Rarity and Twilight.

“Is he a bull?” Rarity asked. “He looks a little bit…different.”

“Oh goodness, a bull!” some of the cows coming nearby got fascinated at the sight of him.

He looked bigger than the average cart-pulling ox, but he looked older as well. His hair and beard were gray and unkempt; his horns looked dulled and worn-out. Even his coat, which may have looked pitch black during his prime was now dark gray. Even stranger was the fact that he was also wearing a heavy, but rusted armor. Ominous or not, he saved Rainbow Dash from certain death.

“And who do you think you are to obstruct justice from being done, you unwelcome piece of cattle?” Rickshaw screamed at him.

“I am known as the Bull of Bashan.” He addressed the crowd as he walked near the platform where Rickshaw was standing.

“But you may call me Bashan for short.”

“Alright, thanks to you our culprit is now gone and you may have blew our only chance for our voice to be heard!” Rickshaw responded a little baffled at the size of Bashan as he got closer to him.

“Is lynching your way to speak?”

“It’s justice!”

“No, it’s desperation.”

“Yeah, desperation of being ignored!”

“Rather your desperation for being taken seriously.”

“There is nothing but truth in my words!”

“Wrong again. It’s a talent for riling up a town to do their worst in a moment of crisis.”

“Oh, so you think hanging a criminal is the worst we can do?”

“The…indifference of the town while you kill somepony else is.”

The bull turned and faced the crowd. Rickshaw lost his resolve to argue: the bull’s expression looked calm, but not like someone he would want to quarrel with.

“I now see that here in Ponyville the crisis has escalated at its peak. A completely innocent mare was about to be hanged at the hoofs of smooth talkers…and you were alright with it.” Ponies in the crowd kept looking at him; some were a bit scared, others with their consciences a bit heavy.

“While what it was about to happen was damnable, I can say it’s understandable, tough. After all, most of Cloudsdale pegasi decided to keep silent and leave when you needed them the most.”

The crowd nodded amongst themselves.

“And in your desperation, you took advice from this unscrupulous racist leader who only stirred animosity between groundfolk and skyfolk.”

“All I did I did for my people…” Rickshaw snarled at the bull.

“And I don’t doubt you energy.” Bashan said. “But you choose a path that has caused the worst of our natures to be manifest for ages.”

Bashan opened his eyes after a reflexive sigh and stepped closer to the edge of the platform. “I am here to tell you Ponyville, that you are not alone. I have the answers you seek and the solution of this problem.”

“The town just got cooled off from a big-mouthed troublemaker! Why should we listen to you?” a stallion asked. Bashan turned to his donkey assistant, and nodded.

“All this time you’ve pinned this drought on the wrong ponies; Cloudsdale, the pegasi, the weather factories across Equestria haven’t solved this problem not because they didn’t want to: it’s because they CAN’T.” The bull said. “Most of all of the sky cities are running on key personnel only. This situation is not exclusive to Ponyville. To avoid mass panic they decided to keep the matter quiet, even if it meant the resent of unicorns and ground ponies.”

“Mass panic?” Applejack turned to Twilight. “What is he talking about?”

“I don’t know.” She answered.

Bashan continued. “This drought is the beginning of the end of Equestria as we know it. The sky is getting warmer and soon will not be able to sustain life. Pegasi decided to come down to survive for longer, but the ground will not be any safer either in a few years. It is a scientific certainty.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Rickshaw interrupted. “Are we going all to die?”

“Yes. This civilization is doomed to perish.”

The crowd gasped and murmured.

“Twilight, did you knew any of this?” Rarity asked.

“No, Rarity, this can’t be true…”

“Those meetings you were going lately have anything to do with this?” Applejack seconded.

“This bull has to be lying. And I am going to unmask him.” She resolved and took off to the platform.

“But it doesn’t have to end like this, people!” The bull calmed the crowd. “As I said before, I have come here with solutions!”

“Wait a minute!” Twilight landed in front of him. She almost lost her resolve when she found out herself tiny in comparison to him.

“Yes?”

“What is this so-called scientific certainty you are talking about? How can you be so sure that this drought will kill us all?”

“Oh… very good question!” Bashan responded. “I will let my assistant to answer that.” Bashan pointed the donkey and he stepped aside.

Impressive. Twilight rolled her eyes. “A donkey scientist? What are your credentials?” she sorely asked. Not because he was a donkey, but rather because his obscurity left doubts for his scientific background. He didn’t look like any scientist she had ever read about. A donkey could clearly stand up.

“Look at the evidence first, ask more important questions later, miss.” The donkey unfolded a huge banner. It featured some diagrams and pictures of the sun.

“I’ll explain in a manner that is understandable for everypony. But I’ll start saying that this drought is not of meteorological, but astronomical nature.”

The baffled look of the first row of the crowd said a lot. Bashan coughed.

“…Ok. Please look at figure number one.” He pointed to a diagram. “It shows the normal translation movement of our sun during the last ten years. Do you notice the difference right…here?” He said when he pointed a drastic drop in a line. “This is constant with the time when the first rising of temperature began.”

Some “ooohs” and “aaahs” were heard. Applejack looked as baffled as ever.

“Fancy astronomy!” She whispered.

“And look at these images taken from a telescope during the last five years. It clearly shows that the sun is altering its appearance.”

“Is the sun…getting bigger?” Twilight asked, now worried.

“No, the sun is coming nearer.” The donkey answered.

“More accurately, our world is getting closer.” Bashan completed. “But yes, the sun is gradually making the world to raise its temperature until no living organism will survive.”

“But…but…how?” Twilight asked.

“How? That’s why we are here!” Bashan declared. “Everypony knows WHO makes the sun to rise above our heads…”

Twilight raised her head and gasped. She didn’t like what she was hearing at all. The crowd by then got very surprised.

“It’s the most logical answer if you think about it. Inside Canterlot there is a being from an outdated form of government who is sliding slowly into madness… this is caused by nopony else but Princess Celestia!”

“What?”

The crowed voiced their protest. Anyone could badmouth anypony, but publicly berating Princess Celestia herself needed a bit of nerve.

“Before condemning me hear me out! Her rule was one of the greatest ages Equestria has ever had. But now, as her mind is fading away, her power has now become a threat to our very existence! Look at the evidence! If she hasn’t been able to stop it when it is her call to do so, then we have nothing to do but take matters into our hooves.”

“Let’s say we believe you. What do you propose then?” Rickshaw ventured to ask. Even he couldn’t imagine the Princess neglecting her subjects like that.

“We need to depose her and abolish monarchy altogether. The mighty bloodline she comes from will be nullified and nature will take its course again. No intermediaries. No royalty. We shall establish a government for all of ponyfolk!” He raised his voice in an almost demonic manner. “What I am offering to you is to take control of your own destinies! I proclaim the People’s Republic of Equestria! Everypony is welcome to join!” The bull solemnly stated. The scientist donkey was packing up, when he finished he descended the platform.

“That’s the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in a public space.” Twilight said. “A coup that’s what it is. After deposing her, then what? Who is going to look after the harmony of this world? Who is going to rule from Canterlot?” she asked in a sarcastic manner. “You?”.

Bashan lowered his gaze until he met her eyes. “Do you have a better idea? Or would you prefer us to wait for your precious princess to burn this land to ashes?”

“She doesn’t have such absurd intentions!”

“No, she doesn’t! But with a mental illness there is no guarantee that she has control over her own power. “

“She has NO mental illness!”

“Are you sure? When was the last time you personally saw her? Or anypony?”

Twilight got caught off guard. She really hasn’t spoke directly to the Princess in a long time, and her only communication was from letters. The crowd turned their heads to Mayor Mare, tough.

“Uh…I…I won’t say it here.” The mayor stuttered. The crowd murmured angrily among themselves.

“Don’t be mad at your mayor. She has done a great job by keeping the peace in this town even with the racist lobby breathing in her neck. A lobby of only one member…”, said Bashan, addressing the multitude. Rickshaw gulped. He just lost his momentum.

“That stallion will receive a proper punishment, but in the meantime Canterlot will hear about this.” Twilight talked back. “If you have any thread of logic with you, you will flee far away before the Princess finds you and punish you accordingly as well.”

Bashan nodded. He knew he shouldn’t stay there any longer.

“Think about it, people. We are growing strong; we have reason and an increasing number of volunteers in our side. Of course the last thing we want is to go to an open revolt, and we will exhaust all of our diplomatic resources first. We have rallied from town to town and our paths will lead us back here. By then Ponyville must pick up a side.”

“Ponyville! Don’t listen to these separatists. They are taking advantage of this vulnerable moment to spread venomous lies against our Princess and to shatter our resolve. We ponies are stronger and more faithful than that! We shall overcome this crisis just as all others that had come against us!” Twilight Sparkle spoke up to the multitude.

Two sides. Two options. What would the people decide? The crowd for the first time got dead-silent.

Bashan stepped down from the platform and the crowd opened way for him to pass, his assistant following. “Our mission doesn’t involve death. We are not overthrowing a tyrant, miss. We are only deposing someone who is no longer fit to rule.” The Bull and the donkey boarded the flying device which took off out of Ponyville. From there Bashan shouted: “Think about it, Ponyville! I shall return!”. Once they were gone hundreds of pegasi landed in the plaza. The pegasi population of the town had returned.

Twilight kept her sight on the device, completely sure that she was facing another threat against Equestria. Yet another being whose only presence disrupted harmony. Where the hell were they coming from?

She then told the mayor: “We need to talk.”

“Yes, princess. First let me take care of Rickshaw and his injured partner.”

Her guards quickly apprehended Rickshaw and Stainmudd. Rickshaw sheepishly let himself to be chained and pulled away, as he was baffled about the outcome of that early morning. Stainmudd had to be carried away in a pallet.

“What just happened? What just HAPPENED?” Rickshaw was murmuring.

“Come on, walk along you troublemaker. You go to the local dungeon!” The guard said.

-

“Sir?”, Wisely addressed Bashan. “You realize that after this there is no going back.”

The old bull sighed. “I know. Our plan is set into motion.”

“Why did you approach Ponyville differently, my I ask?”

“The Bearers of Harmony are here, lad.”

The donkey looked down at Ponyville, amazed. Then Bashan completed, referring to that winged, purple mare that dared to step and talk back against him.

“And SHE is one of them.”


-

Inside Ponyville City Hall.

“Well, what you have to say for yerselves?” Applejack, being better at scolding than Rarity, stared at the two young fillies. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom weren’t the only ones being scolded, tough.

“Alright Mayor, Mr. Blue Halo, Spitfire and Rainbow Dash…” Twilight began. “What the hay happened?”

“Well Highness, this situation is more complicated than what we thought.” Blue Halo answered. “Cloudsdale. Co is bankrupt, we depleted our resources trying to control the rising temperature in the populated areas, but our very Modus Vivendi was severely altered.”

“And you lot decided to keep quiet about it?”

“Three years ago we got approached by Dr. Wisely C. Donkey, who warned us about this drought to happen. We dismissed him and after everything he said occurred spot-on we realized that he was right all along. We didn’t question his words after and agreed to initiate the Refugee Camp Program. We then decided to leave because the animosity toward our kin was already there. Besides, we wanted to avoid mass panic at all costs.”

“You realize your silence has damaged severely the trust we have among all of ponykind and almost costs the life of my friend Rainbow Dash here?”

“We shouldn’t have come to this point if Canterlot had cared about the matter since the first hate crime happened.” Spitfire countered. Twilight looked at her in the eye.

“That is exactly what that Bull is suggesting. I assume that you lot made your mind already, don’t you?”

“No, not in the least, Highness!” Blue Halo interrupted. “We are loyal with Princess Celestia to the end. We took the measures we took just to keep the peace at the cost of trust, that’s all.” He then realized something. “Then again, you are the only one of the Princesses to actively take heed to our peril.” Blue Halo pointed out. Twilight shook her head.

“Princess Celestia does nothing without a purpose. Who knows what she has in her mind right now, but I wouldn’t dare to question her judgment. She must trust what we as a society are mature and intelligent enough to have sorted this mess out by ourselves, but sadly we only managed to take the poorest choices.”

“I personally don’t think that waiting for three years without something as simple as an official statement means that she trusts us.”

“Spitfire, you are talking out of line. Should I worry about your allegiance and this situation at the same time? ”

“Please understand Highness, that we only took Dr. Wisely’s advice for the sake of survival. Neither of us thought that pulling his strings was this ominous character, stirring a revolution.”

“We didn’t think that Mr. Bashan would reveal those intentions so actively.” Spitfire talked again. “He is obviously taking advantage of this situation to seize power for himself, but it’s foolhardy to go straight against the Princess so openly. Even that changeling queen was more discreet.”

“I wouldn’t worry about him. He is nothing but another threat like Discord, Sombra, Chrysallis and Nightmare Moon. We will deal with him like we did with them. Even if he looks for redemption, he should have it. We should answer the worst of them with the best of our own.” Twilight said, then she took a deep breath and sadly added: “No, what worries me the most is the general state of mistrust and suspicion towards the Princess. Why having so little faith?”

“Wouldn’t you ask the very same questions if Rainbow Dash here were hanged for real?” Spitfire asked.

“That didn’t happen.”

“If it weren’t for the bull’s intervention. You got so panicked you weren’t able to cast a spell!”

“You are judging me now? Do you really think I didn’t ask for guidance or answers on my constant trips to Canterlot and the Crystal Empire?”

“And I bet you got ditched as anypony else would.”

“As I told you, I have no authority to question her judgment. She is not only my mentor, she is also my friend. It takes faith and patience to learn the ways of harmony, and I assure you I learnt this the hard way. ”

Spitfire said no more. Whatever arguments she wanted to point out, at least somepony was taking heed to their problem, as Blue Halo had said. She wouldn’t blew it with a pointless discussion.

“Mayor Mare, I think you pointed out that you might have seen Princess Celestia recently. When was that?” Twilight turned to the mayor.

“Oh dear, I don’t think it will help at this situation at all….”

“Please, Mayor. We need all information you can give us.”

Mayor Mare nodded and looked at the table.

“It was around three months ago. The Galloping Gala was suspended yet again, but every municipality authority was needed for a meeting with the Princess. We were in this huge chamber and she appeared, as regal and beautiful as ever, but still…”

“…still what? Please don’t stop, Mayor.”

“She only gave us two orders: ‘prepare for a world shaking test’ and ‘keep your cities calm at all costs’; she didn’t give any detail, no information, only those words and we got dismissed after that.”

Reason dawned on her. Of course. A test for the loyalty of Equestria? A test of faith?

That had to be this drought. Or the Bull. Or both.

With a smile Twilight said: “Don’t you see? The Princess knew this was going to happen. Is another test where we can prove that each pony of Equestria is also an active element for the Harmony of this world.”

Twilight left the table and hovered over the group.

“Have faith. Let’s forgive and forget this sour event. We are together now. And together we will face this new threat. Everything will be just fine!”

The first smiles in months showed across the ones sitting on the table.

This SO could be Letter Report Material! Twilight thought, beaming.

Suddenly Spike’s stomach grew. “Whoa. It was a while”

Then he belched a scroll.

Author's Note:

Pinkie was snoring in Sugarcube Corner of course.
Next chap, Mane 6 go to Canterlot with the Princess, finally! Discussions about how this previous experience affected their friendship and reassurances.

Seriously, don't focus too much about the Rickshaw incident. He was only a plot device. Just like Featherweight's mission. which is to come too!

THERE'S NO TYRANT CELESTIA. (Just in case you rolled your eyes at the thought.)

(Spoiler: Obviously "Everything will be just fine" is full of crap.)