• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 5,799 Views, 201 Comments

Home Again - drnkntst



Rick Rhinestone is back from the dead, but now he's... different.

  • ...
11
 201
 5,799

Chapter 17

Chapter 41

Rick joined Rarity outside the shop, closing the door behind himself. Sweetie Belle had already disappeared to meet her friends on their candy hunt. Even though Ponyville was a decidedly safe town, they still had an adult lead the foals around on their trick-or-treating, which was one less thing that Rick had to worry about, some fatherly instincts never go away after all. Although, technically there were two adults present, he supposed Pinkie Pie dressed as a cupcake didn’t count, especially since she had her own treat bag.

The absence of the foal meant the couple were set to enjoy the festival together. They were walking side-by-side and taking in the atmosphere. Rick was especially excited to see all the different costumes. There were foals running around dressed as storybook princesses, Daring Do, ghosts, there was even a little filly dressed as a zombie. The costume that really caught his eye was one that looked like some kind of demon bug, but it was gone before he could get a good look at it. At least, it was the weirdest costume ‘til Rarity’s ‘human’ costume came bumbling down the street. He couldn’t tell who was wearing it, but he could see some mint-green fur peeking out every now and then.

Rick was getting strange looks due to his costume, since his goal was to be a little scary, he considered it a success. The real kick came when, in the middle of a crowd, Rick created his force field jack-o-lantern in the figures hand and, just for kicks, floated it toward a few ponies as if it had been thrown. No pony was hurt and it made him chuckle, this was the best night for pranks after all.
Apparently, Rainbow Dash thought the same thing. Rick saw her out of the corner of his eye, Rarity wasn’t so lucky. When the giant spider quietly floated down and tapped her on the shoulder, it caused Rarity to scream and gallop away in an impressive cloud of dust. Rick joined Dash in a bout of hysterical, gut-busting laughter.

“Rainbow Dash! Rick Rhinestone! I can’t believe you two!” Twilight scolded as she walked up in her witch costume, complete with pointed hat. Spike was in tow dressed as a knight.

“Lighten up, Sorceress, this is the perfect night for pranks.”

“He’s right, Twilight, it’s all in good fun.”

“I’m not so sure Rarity would agree,” she said as she turned to look in the direction of the fleeing fashionista.

“We’ll just have to ask her when she gets back,” Rick chuckled, “‘til then, I’ll just have to find another date for Nightmare Night.”

Twilight’s scowl faded into a smile as she sauntered over to him, “well if nopony else comes to mind, I can offer my services.”

Rainbow promptly ‘bletched’ and flew off to her cloud. Rick and Twilight laughed as they started off toward the games section. On the way, Rick had to explain his costume and Twilight jotted down notes on a notepad that seemed to come from nowhere.

“So where’s Spike?”

“He’s around here somewhere. He loves all the treats for this festival, plus the candy from trick-or-treating.”

“That was always my favorite part of Halloween as a kid. Annie’s too. I still find it uncanny that the two holidays are so similar.”

“I agree, though I suppose, even with boundless possible differences, there are bound to be some similarities.”

“I guess you’re right. Probability was never my strong suit.” Twilight smiled and gently leaned against Rick as the two continued on their way.

After too short a walk in Twilight’s opinion, they reached the designated game area that was being run by Applejack who was dressed up as a skeleton, though the costume was a little… child-friendly and cartoonish. There was bobbing for apples, spider toss and even pumpkin catapults. There were other games, but they were clearly intended for foals and therefore not an interest for Rick.

“Hey, Twi, hey, Rick!” Applejack said the former with a slight sultry tone that made Rick blush a little and at the same time worry about Twilight’s reaction. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw no reaction, which, in his experience, was even more terrifying.

“Hello, Applejack, how’s it going?” Twilight asked as she squeezed against Rick’s large frame even harder.

“So far, everythin’s goin’ great. Big Macintosh is running the hay ride ‘n’ Apple Bloom’s goin’ around with Granny Smith ‘n’ thu other foals on their candy gatherin’. Why don’cha’ll try bobbin’ fer apples or the pum’kin lau-”

Applejack was interrupted by the sound of a screaming blonde-maned, grey-furred mare being catapulted somehow. Her costume was a cardboard box that just barely allowed her hooves and head to poke out. Unfortunately, it didn’t allow for her wings to move freely.

“Derpy!” Applejack called out.

Suddenly, her journey was halted as a huge orange hand scooped underneath her and slowly laid her gently on her hooves.

The three galloped over to her, Rick was the first to reach her. “Derpy, are you alright?”

“I am now,” she relied plainly.

“How in Equestria didja launch yerself with uh pum’kin catapult. They ain’t even that strong.” Applejack questioned.

“I just don’t know what went wrong.”

“Well, it’s just a good thing Rick was here,” Twilight responded.

“No, with all these unicorns around, I’m sure someone would have caught her. I’m just glad she’s not hurt.” Rick was never really comfortable with praise and his cheeks were starting to show evidence of this fact. It was just too much for Twilight to resist as she planted a small peck on his warming face. Applejack, not wanting to be left out, repeated the action.

Rick was enjoying this until, much to everyone’s surprise, Derpy did the same thing too… on his lips. The mare on either side of him matched the look of surprise plastered upon his face.
“Derpy,” he calmly addressed the obviously confused mare, “why did you do that?”

“I don’t know, everypony else was doing it and I wanted to thank you.”

“Okay, okay, I understand, but these girls are my… Twilight, what’s the word for ‘girlfriend’ here?”

Twilight shook her head to clear her mind of what just happened, “uh, I think you mean ‘fillyfriend’.”

“Right, they are my fillyfriends. That’s why they kissed me. If you want to thank me, that’s fine, but you didn’t need to kiss me. Do you understand?”

“Okay, Rick, I’m sorry.” Derpy was backing away a little.

“It’s alright, Derpy, you didn’t mean anything and I’m not mad. Just be careful, okay.” Rick waved as she started to trot away from them. When he turned to address AJ and Twilight, he was a little startled to see them both looking at him and satisfied grins on their faces. “What?”

“Ah think that’s thu first time ya referred to us as yur fillyfriends.”

“Does that mean you finally accepted our feelings for you?” Twilight asked with a slight longing in her voice.

Rick raised a hoof to his chin, “hmm, maybe…”

Now Twilight was sounding a little frustrated, “what do you mean ma-”

She had been cut short by a kiss on her lips, “alright, I give in.” The pair smiled as they looked into each other’s eyes.

“Hey now, don’t ferget ‘bout me,” Applejack demanded. He chuckled and leaned into a kiss for her too. “There, now that wusn’t so hard now was it?”

Rick smiled with satisfaction. “Say, where’s Fluttershy?”

“Ah, the poor thing locks herself in her house during Nightmare Night. She’s just too scared to be around all the ponies in their costumes, and I think yours would scare her worst of all.”
“Heh, I think you’re right. Oh well, how about we play some games and then get something to eat?”

“Thank you, everypony, and welcome to the Nightmare Night festival!” Mayor Mare called out from the stage to much cheering and applauding. “Now, all the little ponies who have been out collecting sweets should follow our friend Zecora to hear the legend of... Nightmare Moon!” She drew out the name like one would imitate a cartoon ghost saying ‘boo’ then attempted a bout of evil laughter, but it was all wasted due to her mime costume.

A green, sparkling fog filled the stage and Zecora emerged from the cloud wearing a witchdoctor outfit, “follow me and very soon you will hear the tale of Nightmare Moon.” Zecora led the group of colts and fillies into the woods nearby, Rick and Twilight followed along, “listen close, my little dears, I will tell you where you got your fears of Nightmare Night, so dark and scary,” the zebra raised a hoof that held a small pile of green powder, which she blew into another green cloud, “of Nightmare Moon, who makes you wary.” Zecora raised a hoof to indicate a statue. It was an alicorn that wore a helmet that wrapped around its head from the snout all the way down its neck, the breastplate and slippers that looked similar to those he saw on Luna and Celestia, only larger and more stylized. All in all, the appearance made the alicorn look regal and ready for battle. Rick assumed this was supposed to be Nightmare Moon.

All the foals where shaking and backing into a huddle. The green fog formed behind them and two glowing eyes appeared followed by a huge, toothy grin. The foals screamed and ran into another huddle as Zecora passed through the cloud grinning herself.

“Every year, we put on a disguise, to save ourselves from her searching eyes. But Nightmare Moon wants just one thing: to gobble up ponies in one quick swing!” a pony formed from the fog; again he assumed it was Nightmare Moon, and swiped at a few small fillies who screamed. The cloud creature reappeared in the near the huddled mass. “Hungrily, she soars the sky. If she sees nopony, she passes by. So if she comes and all is clear, Equestria is safe another year!” The alicorn approached the foals but appeared to be unable to see any of them. Even after raising a hoof to its forehead and looking around before it vanished. “Fill up her belly with a treat or two, so she won't return to come eat you!” The cloud pony formed in the air and dive bombed the crowd of children, that for some reason included Pinkie Pie, with its mouth stretched wide enough to envelope them.

Pinkie Pie screamed, “everypony! Just dump some candy and get out of here!”

Suddenly and seemingly out of nowhere, the wind kicked up. There was a crash of thunder, then another. Lightning struck next to the statue of Nightmare Moon revealing it to no longer be just a statue. In a booming voice, Nightmare Moon roared at the colts and fillies, and Pinkie Pie, who had only just finished emptying their bags of candy at the foot of the statue. “Citizens of Ponyville! You were wise to bring this candy to me. I am pleased with your offering. So pleased that I may just eat it... instead of eating you!” The alicorn leaned in with her fangs bared in a huge smile.
“It's Nightmare Moon! Run!” Pinkie yelled as she bolted out of the woods. She was followed by all the foals, all except for Sweetie Belle.

“Rick!” The tiny unicorn dressed up as Luna ran to him for protection. Protection that he was all too happy to provide.

“It’s alright, Swe… Princess Luna, I got you.” The alicorn climbed down from her podium that was once occupied by the statue. Rick could now see her clearer, her fur was nearly black and her mane and tail had a familiar, ethereal look. As she approached, Rick decided to have some fun with the filly. “Back, back foul creature,” he yelled in an extremely over-the-top acting voice, “I must protect my princess,” he winked at Nightmare Moon.

At first, Nightmare Moon raised an eyebrow in confusion, then she caught a glimpse of Sweetie Belle as she poked out from behind Rick. A glimpse of pride and happiness flashed across her reptile like eyes. “Princess Luna!? No! I will not be defeated!” Nightmare Moon started to back up with mock fear on her face.

Sweetie Belle was confused and started to peek out from her cover. She started to catch on and leapt out in a battle stance, “th-that’s right. I-I wi-will protect my su-subjects.” She took a hesitant step forward and Nightmare Moon who, while poorly hiding a smile, screamed and turned into a blue fog that blew away into the wind. Sweetie turned to Rick with a huge smile on her face, “I beat Nightmare Moon!”

“You certainly did, Your Highness. Now go, go to the town and tell of your victory.” He was trying to put on a heroic voice, he was doing alright, but he wasn’t going to be able to hold back the huge smile for long. Luckily, she took off for Ponyville quickly.

Twilight approached him, “You, good sir, are too sweet for your own good.” She kissed him deeply but stopped when the sound of approaching hoofsteps interrupted them.

“I am so sorry to interrupt, but I simply had to thank you. I have never had a filly dress as myself let alone actually be able to play with her.”

“It was my pleasure, Luna. Little Sweetie Belle seemed enjoy it as well. If you would like, I’m sure she would love to meet you. Though I think it would be best if you dropped the disguise first.”

Luna looked down at herself and blushed slightly at seeing she was still Nightmare Moon. “Oh, yes, of course.”