• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 5,799 Views, 201 Comments

Home Again - drnkntst



Rick Rhinestone is back from the dead, but now he's... different.

  • ...
11
 201
 5,799

Chapter 31

Chapter 67

Rick battled against the huge Queen Chrysalis that stood between him and his pony family. No matter how hard he tried, he could not gain any ground. In fact, they were constantly being drawn further away and the monster before him was growing ever larger and laughing at his struggles ever louder.

“Come now, you can do better than that,” She bellowed.

Rick put every bit of magic into his next attack, but the giant blade he conjured was harmless. It bounced off her fur and was broken instantly.

Chrysalis laughed again at his apparently feeble attempt. “I thought these ponies meant more to you than that.”

“Please, I’m begging you, don’t take my family. I’ll do anything.”

Another sinister laugh, “I’ll tell you what you can do,” Rick looked up at her with pleading eyes, “nothing. You can do nothing to stop me.” Chrysalis laughed once more, long and hard, as she turned to walk away with the six elements trailing in their cocoons.

Rick charged after her, begging as he galloped with all his might. No matter how hard he tried, his enemy got further out of reach, as did his family. Rick’s eyes were starting to water. He was going to lose the ones he loved again, and he knew it would kill him, again.

Suddenly, Chrysalis had streams of brilliant white light shining out of her body. There was a huge, deafening explosion. The black coated queen was gone without a trace revealing Princess Luna slowly floating down to stand before Rick.

“Luna!” Rick couldn’t help himself and before he realized what he was doing, he had rushed over to the night princess and hugged her tightly.

Luna’s eyes widened in surprise, it had been a very long time since anyone, aside from her sister had been this happy to see her. She wrapped her wings around him to reciprocate the embrace. “It is… good to see you too. But you are troubled. I have not seen such powerful nightmares from you in a long time. What troubles you?”

Rick suddenly remembered himself and let go of Luna, “I-I think it was that so called test.”

“The one Shining Armor put you through today?”

“Yeah.”

“But you prevailed. You even regained your magic abilities. Why would this bother you so?”

“Because she was going to take my family away from me again. I’m not afraid of Chrysalis, but I was forced to live my worst nightmare. I was completely helpless when I lost Hanna and Annie. I relived that day over and over again every time I fell asleep. I can’t bear that pain again.”

Rick he fallen onto his haunches and dropped his head. “Is this the reason you were willing to sacrifice yourself? To ensure everypony else would live even if you did not?” He nodded, Luna approached him and nuzzled his cheek. “Such a thing is a very heavy burden to carry. I know the pain of feeling helpless. However, you have nothing to worry about.” Rick looked up into Luna’s caring eyes, “you have plenty of ponies who care for you, and to prove it, you simply have to open your eyes and look around you.”

Rick awoke and sat up in the bed. He quickly remembered what Luna had said and looked around the room. Sleeping right next to him was Fluttershy. She woke up slowly, blinking in the light.

“Oh, Rick, good morn-eep…”

Fluttershy had been cut short by Rick scooping her up and doing his best to cocoon her in himself. He sat her on top of his own back legs, wrapped his forelegs around her and laid his head on her shoulder. He rocked gently.

“Ar-are you okay, Rick?”

“Please, please just let me stay like this for a little while.”

Fluttershy wasn’t sure what was wrong, but she knew her stallion needed her and that was something she could do. She would have been worried, but being held in his arms just made her feel so safe. Like nothing could possibly get to her. It also helped that she knew Rick could never do anything to hurt her. After a couple minutes, her curiosity got the better of her.

“Um, Rick, are you okay?”

“I-I just needed some reassurance is all.” Rick loosened his grip on Fluttershy, but didn’t release her completely.

She knew all about how that felt. On more than one occasion, she didn’t believe she could do any good for anyone or she was simply too scared to even try. If it weren’t for her friends, she would have likely locked herself inside her cabin with her animals by now and missed out on all the adventures and fun she had had. Most importantly, she would have missed out on the stallion holding her right now.

“I just remembered the first time we did this. Do you remember that?” Rick asked as he stroked her long, pink, silky mane.

“Yes, we were out in the woods looking for herbs so I could make Pinkie some medicine.”

“Right, then it started to rain and we were stuck out there overnight.”

“And you held me just like this to keep me warm.”

Yeah, that little fire just couldn’t get the job done. Heh, luckily for me, you were very warm.”

“I’m glad you were there with me. I don’t know what I would have done if you weren’t.” Fluttershy suddenly tightened her grip on Rick. “But then, the very next day, you weren’t there anymore.”

Rick could feel her tears soak into his fur. “I’m sorry I left you, but I had to help Twilight.”

“I know, and I’m not upset about that, in fact, I want to thank you for making sure she was safe. I just wish I hadn’t lost you for so long. We all thought you were gone forever.” Fluttershy couldn’t speak anymore and buried her face into Rick’s barrel, still sobbing.

“I understand how that feels. The helplessness, the pain, the longing and even the self-loathing. Fluttershy, I sincerely hope you don’t think you had anything to do with that incident. It was all Chrysalis’ fault. Not yours, not Twilight’s and not Shining Armor’s.” Rick could feel her nodding, indicating that she understood. “You want to know a secret about that day?” She looked up into his eyes, hers were still full of tears, “I actually died with a smile.”

“Wha-what do you mean? You were happy you were being k-ki-kil-“

“No. I wasn’t happy I was being killed. I was happy that you all would be safe. Even if it cost me my life, I would do whatever it took to protect you all.”

“I know that, all of us do, I just prefer having you with me. I don’t want to go through that again.”

“Neither do I, once is more than enough for me. I promise that I will do whatever it takes to stay with you and the others.” Rick kissed Fluttershy on her forehead, “after all, being without you is my biggest fear.”

Fluttershy smiled her cutest, tiniest smile then surprised Rick by grabbing his head and giving him a short but very passionate kiss. He took it as a very good sign, as she is normally too timid for such a response, and mirrored the action.

Chapter 68

“Shining, can I speak with you?” Rick approached Shining Armor after breakfast while the girls packed their belongings. Celestia and Luna had already returned to Canterlot the night before bringing Discord along to ensure he didn’t get up to any mischief.

“Of course,” Shining followed Rick out onto a nearby balcony. “What do you wish to discuss?”

“First, I want to thank you for both the training and putting me up for the last month.”

“No problem, we are friends after all.”

“Still, you went above and beyond for me and I appreciate it.” Rick turned and faced Shining directly, “second, my respect and gratitude are about the only things keeping me from saying words unknown to ponykind at a high volume. That ‘test’ you gave me yesterday, I understand it was meant to test my limits, but that was going too far.”

“I don’t understand, you fought off Chrysalis without fear. Hay, you charged in and threatened to beat her ‘til she lay in a puddle of her own juices. Probably would have if it where the real thing. Where did it go too far?”

“Right at the beginning. Threats against me are fine, I can handle myself, but threats against my family will not be tolerated, no matter who makes them.”

“Hey, Twilight’s my family too.”

“Just one more reason we’re not having a louder, ruder conversation. Again, I thank you for the training and I hope I never have to use it, but rest assured I will not hesitate to do so if anyone steps out of line around Twilight.”

“I know, and I’m sorry you were so upset by my final test. Understand, I only had your best interest at heart.”

Rick nodded and held his hoof out, “I do, take care of yourself, ‘til we meet again.”

Shining nodded and shook Rick’s hoof firmly, “you got it, and you keep an eye on my sister for me.” Shining noticed the smirk spreading across Rick’s face, “stop that. She’s still my little sister and a princess of Equestria.”

“I didn’t say a thing.”

“No, but I’m a male too and I know exactly what you’re thinking.”

“Sir, you think too little of me. You know I would never do anything to hurt Twilight in any way, shape or form. I love and respect her too much for that. Now c’mon, the girls are waiting for us.”

They entered the castle dining hall where the others were standing by with their luggage ready to go, Rick’s single bag had been placed next to the stack. Just outside the main entryway of the castle, Rick formed a large bowl from a force field and loaded it with the luggage.

“Cadence, I wish to thank you again for putting up with me these past few weeks and I hope it won’t be too long before we see each other again.”

“I agree, be sure to invite me to any parties you have in the future,” Cadence leaned in and whispered into his ear, “or even a wedding.”

Rick’s eyes widened and he started coughing, “well, it’s been great, but I really think we should be going! C’mon ladies, they train won’t wait for us!”

Twilight called out to him as Rick sped off, force field bowl in tow, “but we have plenty of time! Wait!”

The girls waved their goodbyes as they chased after their stallion. They soon caught him and with the exception of Fluttershy, passed him. Rainbow flew a little overhead, Pinkie bounced along to one side, and the others trotted along side by side. Fluttershy and Rick trotted in silence next to each other, though he was enjoying the view.

Applejack looked back over her shoulder, “enjoyin’ tha view back there?” she asked as she wiggled her rump to tease him a little.

“Eeyup,” Rick answered without the slightest hint of shame or humor save for a satisfied smile and a wink.

“Well jes wait ‘til we get home.”

“Oh really,” Rick raised an eyebrow, “and just what awaits me at home?”

“Work,” Applejack called back and the others joined in on the laughter. AJ slowed down and let Rick catch up to her before she whispered, “uh course, that ain’t all that’s waiting fer ya.”

“That’s what I like to hear. There’s nothing I like more than hard work.” Fluttershy giggled at his response and Applejack nudged him while she snickered too.

“Ya know, we’ve all been missin’ you sumthin’ fierce while ya were here. Ah mean, we understan’ ‘n’ all, but that didn’t help none.”

“I know, and I’m sorry, but like I promised Fluttershy this morning, I will do everything in my power to ensure I won’t be separated from you, or any of you for that matter, ever again.” Applejack smiled and kissed Rick on the cheek. Not to be outdone, Fluttershy also kissed him. “Now, let’s go, the others are waiting for us.”

After the bags were loaded onto the train, the ponies followed suit. Twilight had managed to arrange a private sleeper car for them. During the train ride home, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie watched the scenery and talked and laughed amongst themselves. However, the others were all huddled together, simi-oblivious to the world aside from the occasional interjection to the other conversation. They were enjoying the peace and calm of the love between them.