• Published 30th May 2013
  • 2,517 Views, 11 Comments

The Impossible Girl - Doctor Perseus



When the possible collides with the impossible, a bond is created; and nothing walks away unchanged.

  • ...
15
 11
 2,517

Part 1

The Impossible Girl

There was a point in my life where the possible collided with the impossible. A part of me still contemplates the possibility that this whole experience was simply a hallucination brought upon by the illness I suffered from at the time. Still...I believe it's true. I believe I met her. My sister Tanya does too. Tanya's the only other person on the planet who witnessed the impossible alongside me. She's absolutely sure that what we witnessed was real. I hope it was. I believe it was. The memory still hurts me...but it also brings me comfort. I miss her; for she was mine to protect, if only for a short period of time. She was somebody who relied on me. She was somebody who fell in love with me. She was my perfect girl. My perfect, impossible girl.

I had just finished high school when I decided to take the trip deep into the New England countryside. My graduation had taken place a few days earlier and I was still feeling that "beginning of a new era" buzz that all high school graduates tend to feel. The only downside was that I had found myself struck with a terribly annoying cold. My mother told me that spending some time in the country would be a good way to get over the cold. I decided to take her advice.

It had been a surprisingly cool day when I departed from the city and headed into the country. I was headed to a cabin that my family owned on a simple spot of land. A friend of the family maintained the home and kept it in good condition when it wasn't being used. Mom had forced me to take Tanya along so I would have company. Tanya wasn't at all pleased about having to accompany me on this trip and I was equally displeased. I would have preferred to bring along one of my friends, but Mom had this strange paranoia that my friends would bring along some drugs and everything would go to hell (yeah, she's one of those moms).

An unexpected storm appeared as I drove my way through one of the New England forests. Tanya was busy listening to her iPod while I directed the car down the lonely road. We were only a few minutes away from the cabin. Our family friend, Mr. Franco, would be meeting us there to give us the keys and such. Night had fallen and now I could only see a few feet in front of the car. I made sure to drive carefully and slowly through the rainy terrain.

"Are we there yet?" Tanya groaned. I rolled my eyes before giving another cold-induced sneeze.

I wiped my nose with a handkerchief before answering her. "No," I replied with a somewhat bored tone. "We'll be there in a few minutes." Tanya flashed her sharp, blue eyes at me and I found myself slightly disturbed. I had to give my sister credit where credit was due: she could give an awfully good death stare when she wanted to.

"Well, hurry up. I'm tired of sitting in this stupid car of yours."

"It's not my fault that Mother Nature decided to be a bitch and send a storm our way." Tanya gave another groan before returning to her music. I turned the car around another bend when a lightning bolt flashed in the sky and was followed by a massive roar of thunder. I jumped a bit but remained calm for the most part. I had only just regained my nerves when everything went to hell.

There was another flash of lightning...only this one was different. Unlike normal lightning bolts that appeared for only a millisecond, this one lasted for much longer. It was a fat, green lightning bolt that smashed right into the center of the street just a few yards in front of my car. I slammed on the brakes and brought the car to an immediate halt. Tanya yelped as the car unexpectedly stopped.

"What the hell?!" she snapped. I didn't even bother responding to her comment. I simply sat there in my seat and stared at the green lightning bolt. It seemed to be glued to the road by some strange substance and it spun around like a piece of string being spun by a bored child. Tanya realized what I was looking at and became just as mystified as I was. "That...the...hell?!"

Suddenly, powerful winds began pounding against the exterior of the car. The downpour of rain grew even stronger and louder. Through the sounds of the storm, I could swear that I could hear a series of swirling screams. The lightning bolt was spinning so fast that it now looked more like a tornado than anything. I could feel the car rocking back and forth and I grew afraid for myself and for Tanya. My instincts told me to make the car go backwards but I found myself frozen in fear and curiosity. Then there was an explosion of light. There wasn't really a sound but more or less a deafening of sounds. Everything became unbelievably quiet for a few, painful seconds. The explosion of light was so bright that I could barely keep my eyes open. Tanya held her hands in front of her face and let out a scream of terror, though it too sounded muffled. Then...everything returned to normal.

The light vanished and so did the strange wind, screams, and swirling lightning bolt. For a moment or two, Tanya and I just sat in my car and exhaled loudly as we tried to piece together what we had just witnessed. Tanya eventually turned to me and asked, "Aaron...what-"

"I don't know, Tanya," I managed to say. "I simply don't know." After another few moments of silence, I regained the strength to start the car up again and continue our journey to the cabin.

Mr. Franco was waiting for us as we had expected. I was pleased to see that there was a garage connected to the cabin and I happily drove in. Mr. Franco proceeded to greet us, give us the keys, give us details of the surrounding areas and the nearby town, and even helped bring our belongings into the cabin. It was quite a nice cabin. I figured that Mr. Franco must certainly keep himself busy with maintaining the cabin. It was clean and neat and came with a fresh load of food and toiletries. There was even a decent internet connection. As we finished packing, Tanya retreated to her new room to get on the internet and left me alone in the living room with Mr. Franco.

"Thank you very much for your help, Mr. Franco," I said as I shook the middle-aged man's hand.

"It was my pleasure," Mr. Franco replied with a big grin on his face.

For some reason, I found myself implored to ask him about the lightning. "Mr. Franco, tell me, did you see any...weird lightning earlier?"

"Weird lightning? There's been a lot of lightning. I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"Have you seen any...well...green lightning?" A smile appeared on his face as if he had just heard a funny rumor.

"Green lightning? No, I can't say that I've seen anything like that." I wanted to tell him about what Tanya and I had witnessed but I decided to push it off as I didn't want to make myself look anymore sick than I already was.

"Okay then. Have a good night."

"You too, Aaron." Mr. Franco gave one last friendly wave before exiting through the front door and disappearing off into the storm.

I spent the next couple hours watching random shows on the television. Tanya remained in her room and didn't once come out. I figured that she was busy on Facebook or something like that. The storm had begun to let up, which is what allowed me to have a decent television signal, and I was beginning to grow sleepy. I figured that it was time to go to sleep. As I turned off the television, I thought of all the fun I would have the next day with exploring the area and such. Tanya would most likely spend the entire trip on her computer. I rolled my eyes at the thought but if that's what kept her happy and off my back then I was all for it. I was just about to head to my new room when I heard something that I didn't expect to hear: knocking at the front door.

My heart instantly began to pound. I knew that this wasn't Mr. Franco at the door. I found myself frozen in place as the knocking at the door continued. It wasn't loud, banging knocking like the type of knocking one would hear if someone were trying to break into a house, but it was more like just casual knocking. I cursed at the realization that there was no peephole in the door nor were there really any type of defensive weapons in the cabin. I walked over to the fireplace and picked up a fire poker. I then proceeded to quietly sneak my way towards the door. All the while, the casual knocking continued. I felt the urge to call out and ask for the identity of the stranger outside but couldn't find the will to do so.

Suddenly, I found myself in front of the front door. My hands were shaking as I reached for the doorknob. I slowly unlocked the door and grasped the knob. My hold on the fire poker tightened. With a deep breath, I pulled the door open.

My eyes widened with disbelief as I realized what was standing on the porch of the cabin. The fire poker fell from my hand and hit the floor with a loud clang. Standing on the porch was, I'm not kidding, a naked girl. She looked to be around my age. She had a pair of intelligent, purple eyes and long, purple hair that seemed to stretch down to her butt. She had her arms wrapped around her breasts and I used all of my willpower to prevent myself from looking down at her nether regions. She was drenched from head to toe in rainwater and was shivering something fierce.

"Sorry to bother you," said the girl with an innocent look on her face. "I don't know where I am." I was a little suspicious, coming from the city and all, but the girl appeared to be innocent enough. Besides, it's not like she had anywhere to hide any weapons. Unless she hid something in her...I wasn't willing to think of that.

I finally managed to find what words to say. "Well...come on in then. I'll get you a towel and some clean clothes," I said with a slightly awkward tone. I let the girl into the cabin and shut and locked the door behind her. I then quickly ran to the bathroom to grab a towel. As I was rummaging for the bath towels, I heard a familiar scream from the living room. I grabbed a bath towel and ran into the living room to find none other than Tanya standing there and gawking at the naked girl before her.

"Uh...hi," the girl said as she blushed a bit.

"Who the...what the...AARON!" Tanya screamed. I rushed over to the girl and threw the towel over her. The girl gave me a nod of thanks as she began to dry herself off. I then pulled Tanya aside to talk with her. "Who the hell is that, Aaron?!"

"I don't know. She just turned up at the door butt ass naked and I decided to let her in," I replied.

"Are you nuts?! You don't let random girls inside, even if they are naked!" I found myself blushing a bit.

"I promise that I did not look at her-"

"Nevermind your pervy, male nature. Why on earth did you let her in?!"

"Right now, she looks like a girl in need of assistance. I don't know who she is or how she got here but the least we can do is dry her off, give her some clothes, and get some contact information so that we can help her get back to wherever she came from." Tanya rolled her eyes.

"I bet you wouldn't have let her in so fast if she weren't naked."

"Oh shut up!" I turned away from Tanya and back to the girl. The girl had just finished drying herself off. "Let me get you some clothes!"

A few moments later, the girl was sitting comfortably on the couch wearing some of Tanya's clothes, which proved to be a perfect fit for her. I had made her a cup of hot cocoa and she was now sipping it peacefully.

"Thank you," the girl said as I sat down in a chair across from where she was sitting. Tanya was leaning against the wall with the fire poker in her hand. "I'm really grateful for you letting me in."

"No problem. You were in trouble and I helped you. It was the right thing to do," I said. "My name's Aaron and that's my sister Tanya. What's your name?" The girl suddenly clasped her forehead and let out a soft groan. "Are you okay?!" The girl removed her hand from her forehead and nodded.

"Don't worry, I'm fine...for the most part."

"For the most part?"

"You see...I don't...remember who I am."

"You don't?!"

"No." I felt like something had just punched me in the gut.

Great, I thought. I've got an amnesiac on my hands. This should be interesting. "Are you sure that you don't remember anything?" I asked. The girl rubbed her head.

"I remember...things," she said. "But they're mostly blurs. I remember a flash of light, a scream, a pair of green eyes, and...a...a green lightning bolt." My eyes widened and I heard Tanya gasp in the background. Suddenly, without warning, the girl leaned forward and lost consciousness. I ran over to her and balanced her in my arms.

"Are you okay?! Hello?! HELLO?!" I cried.

The girl awoke the following morning. I had placed her in the third bedroom of the cabin and had fallen asleep at her side. I woke up to find her staring through the bedroom window. The morning sun was shining through the glass, surrounding the girl in a fine aura.

"Oh good," I said with a smile. "You're awake." The girl turned to look at me and smiled.

"It's beautiful here," she said. I stood up and approached the window. The window faced a clearing in the forest that held a field of grass as well as a fairly large swimming hole. It was certainly the perfect forest getaway.

"Yeah."

"Do you live here?"

"Nah. My family just owns this cabin for vacation use. I haven't been here since I was like...eight maybe. I'm here now to recover from a cold as well as get some time away from the city." I thought back to the previous night and decided to question her some more. "Would you mind me asking you some more questions?" The girl shook her head and sat down on the edge of the bed. "Are you sure that you don't remember anything?"

The girl sighed. "No," she replied. "I know nothing of who I am, who I know, or where I came from."

"Hmm...do you at least remember any immediate things that happened right before you arrived here at the cabin?" The girl scratched her chin. I noticed a spark in her eyes.

"I...I think I remember some things. I remember walking through the rain. It was cold. Everything was blurry. I think I remember there being a flash of light...and...I think...I think...that's it."

"That's it?"

"Yeah. I just remember walking through the rain until I stumbled upon your cabin. Everything else is either blank or mush."

"Well, you're welcome to stay here with Tanya and me until you're able to get your memories back."

"Thank you, Aaron."

"No problem...er...we've got to make a name for you until you get your memories back. I don't want to call you girl." The girl laughed at my remark. "So, what do you want to be called then?"

"Twi," she quickly responded. I was a bit surprised by her sudden answer.

"That was fast," I said.

"I don't know why I picked it. It just...feels right."

"Maybe that was a nickname for you. You might already be starting to regain your memories!"

"I hope so." I extended a hand to her to help her up.

"Come on, Twi," I said with a chuckle. "You look like you could use some breakfast."

"ARE YOU FREAKING INSANE?!" Tanya snapped once she and I were far enough from the cabin. Twi was currently inside eating her way through some bacon and eggs. I had noticed that Twi had some problem with silverware and I had to quickly teach her how to use them. I figured this was some effect of her amnesia. "We can't look after some strange girl we barely know!"

"Look, Tanya, she's somebody that needs our help. We don't know who she is and I have a feeling that being here is starting to bring back some of her memories. This morning, she selected a name for herself quicker than I could. I think we need to help her," I argued.

"What if she's dangerous?"

"I don't think she's dangerous."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I just...feel it."

"Uh huh. Or maybe you're just falling in love with her."

"Screw off, Tanya. This has nothing to do with crushes or attraction or anything like that. I'm just trying to be a decent human being. Anyone else would kick her out or send her on her way like a piece of trash."

"Most of those people have actual common sense, something you clearly are completely devoid of."

I facepalmed and let out an annoyed sigh. "You don't have to worry yourself about her, Tanya. I'm the one who's willing to help her so I'm going to be in charge of looking after her while we're here."

Tanya rolled her eyes and gave a few sighs before looking at me with a look of agreement. "Fine," she snorted in reply. "She's your problem...but I'm going to keep my eye on her." She then turned around and began heading back to the cabin.

"She seems upset," came a voice from the trees. I jumped as Twi emerged.

"Twi!" I gasped. "How...how long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough to know that your sister isn't very fond of me." An uncomfortably guilty look appeared on her face.

"Don't worry yourself about Tanya. She's not exactly fond of me either, and I'm her brother for Christ's sake." Twi gave a quiet laugh at my quip.

"She's probably not too excited to be here with you in the first place, I imagine."

"Yeah. The only reason she's here is because our mom made her come along to keep me company. I'm not too thrilled about the situation either. Tanya and I have never truly seen eye-to-eye."

"That's sad. Siblings should have a great deal of love and respect for each other. My brother and I are very close." My eyes widened in reaction to what I had just heard.

"What did you just say?!" I gasped. Twi's eyes widened too as she put the pieces together.

"I remember that I have a brother!" she replied with a smile.

"This is good! This is really, really good! Do you remember anything else?"

Twi scratched her chin and gave a slight nod. "Some bits and pieces. I remember having an older brother, we're very close, and...he has blue hair."

"Blue hair? Your brother must have some strange tastes in fashion."

"Maybe. Oh...and I remember that he has a position of authority."

"Position of authority, huh? Is that it?" Twi nodded in response to my question. "It's not a lot to go on but at least it's a sign that you're starting to regain your memories." A look of uncertainty appeared on Twi's face. I stepped closer to her. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing...it's just...I have this uneasy feeling," she replied.

"About what?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. I have this feeling that one of the things I've forgotten is something really important. It's like I've left something behind."

For some reason, I felt the urge to take her hand. She looked straight at me with those big, purple eyes of hers. "Don't worry. I'm sure everything's fine and that you'll remember everything in no time. Until then, I'm going to take care of you."

"You don't have to do this for me, Aaron. You barely know me."

"I know. But it feels right. It feels right for me to help you." A small smile appeared on Twi's face. "But, in the case that you turn out to be some psychopath trying to find some new victims, my sister's got my eye on you and she's hidden the fire poker somewhere in her room." I smiled at her and Twi surprisingly laughed at my somewhat dark comment.

"Don't worry. I have no urge to cut you up or anything like that. However, if it turns out that my memories reveal me to actually be a serial killer than you better keep that fire poker hidden from me." I couldn't help but chuckle at her comment. I looked towards the swimming hole and examined the relaxing aura of the forest around us.

"You want to go for a walk? It's the perfect weather to do so," I offered.

"I would like that," Twi replied.

Twi and I spent the rest of the day walking through the surrounding forest and just talking about random topics. I told her about my family, my graduation from high school, and my hopes and goals for the future. I occasionally complained to her about the cold that I currently had, which I was happy to see was quickly fading away. Twi didn't talk much. She simply listened to my stories with perfect attention. I figured that since she barely had any, if any, memories to tell me about she was willing to listen to my memories. By the time we returned to the cabin, night was beginning to fall. I figured that this would be a good night to have a campfire. So I built a campfire, grilled some hamburgers on the outside stove, and set up some chairs for Tanya, Twi, and me to sit in. Night had completely fallen by the time I had finished making dinner and now the only sources of light were the electric lights shining through the cabin's windows and the fire that Twi, Tanya, and I were sitting around.

"This is really good," Twi exclaimed as she took another bite of her hamburger.

"I don't consider myself that great of a cook but I'm glad that you're enjoying my food," I said.

"You act as if you've never had a hamburger before," Tanya said suspiciously as she eyed Twi.

"Actually, I don't think I have," Twi replied.

"How can you be so sure? I mean with the amnesia and all."

"In the case of amnesia, familiar tastes, smells, items, and such can usually help trigger old memories. I don't recognize the taste of this hamburger, which means that it's safe to assume that I've never had a hamburger before."

"You seem quite well learned on the topic of amnesia for someone who's currently suffering from amnesia."

Twi suddenly fell silent. She quietly placed her hamburger down on her plate. "It's weird, I know. But I'm starting to remember random facts. I guess I must have read a lot before losing my memories," Twi concluded.

"It's still not much but it's a start," I added.

"What other facts do you know of?" Tanya questioned.

"I don't know entire things. Most of the facts are muddled and hardly make sense," Twi replied. "For example, did you know that dragons can grow quickly by greedily hoarding random objects?" Tanya snorted with laughter and I gave her my own death stare, which wasn't nearly as threatening as hers.

"That sounds like something stolen straight out of a kid's show," Tanya laughed. Twi looked down shamefully.

"Tanya, apologize to Twi," I ordered.

"For what?"

"You've hurt her feelings."

"Oh come off it! You've got to admit, that sounds pretty funny."

"No, it doesn't. Twi's trying to regain her memories and these random facts may help her. I don't care how far-fetched they sound."

Tanya rolled her eyes before turning back to Twi. "Fine. I'm sorry, Twi," Tanya groaned.

"Say it like you mean it, Tanya!" I snapped.

"Who do you think you are? Dad?"

"I don't think I'm anyone but myself! You're simply just being rude!" Tanya fell silent before turning her gaze between me and Twi.

"Fine. I see that I'm not wanted here. Granted, I'm not too wild about being here anyway." Tanya stood up and threw what remained of her hamburger as well as her plate into the fire. "It was a crummy hamburger anyway." Tanya then stormed back into the cabin.

Once Tanya was gone, I turned my attention back to Twi. "Twi-"

"I'm sorry for doing this to you. I'm only a burden for you that's creating an even bigger rift between you and your sister," Twi said.

"No. Twi-" Twi stood up and placed her plate in the chair she had been sitting in.

"I'm not hungry anymore. I think I'm going to head to bed." Before I could say anything else, Twi disappeared into the cabin.

I sat outside for a few more moments before taking my plate and Twi's plate and throwing them in the trash. I then put out the fire and retreated into the cabin.