• Published 12th Feb 2012
  • 1,509 Views, 45 Comments

What A Rarity - Mil Spec Pony



Nikolai Zander has a dark past and life, but then one day he find somone that will change his life.

  • ...
4
 45
 1,509

Chapter 3 : The Request

The Request

Sunlight was shining through the windows and bathed my body in light as I was practicing the various fighting stiles I knew against a large boxing bag, I was deep in concentration yet it was easy broken as Rarity called out to me while standing in the doorway to my gym.

“Nikolai, breakfast is nearly ready, so I hope that you are hungry”

I quickly wiped my face with a towel and responded.

“You bet I am, I’ll just take a quick shower and then I’ll join you okay”

She nodded and sent a happy smile at me before she trotted off towards the living room, I made my way toward the bathroom, just before entering Rarity called out again, this time her voice was more playful.

“Oh, and Nikolai would you be a dear and try on the attire that I have prepared for you”

As I heard her say the word ‘Attire’ my eyes lock at a symmetrically folded set of clothes that were resting on a small decorative stool inside the bathroom.

“Rarity…” I turned toward the sound of hooves, and was met with big shining puppy dog eyes and a forward pressed lower lip.

“Please, I worked real HARD and I hoped that you would LIKE them” she was using a tone of voice I imagined only she could, she knew that if she used it, it was very likely that I would say yes.

I did, I couldn’t say no, not now, not after I had looked into those eyes and heard that sweet voice.

“…ok, but only today, you got that?”

The little white mare giggled. “Of course, we would not want you to be well-dressed all of the time, now would we”

I smiled at her words and walked into the bathroom. “I just hope that it isn’t as girly as the last set of clothes you made for me”

“Why you!”

Before she could begin to scold me I had closed the bathroom door and locked it, I chuckled as I heard her walk away, acting offended, I pictured her walking away with her nose in the air and mumbling something about how rude I was.

As I walked in under the shower I thought about how much my life had changed.


Rarity had been living with me for 4 months now; the first week was spend with asking questions about each other, she told me a lot about herself, her world, her friends and her daily life, she told me about things like what a Cutie Mark is, how unicorns were able to use magic and how 2 royal sisters watched over the land of Equestria, it sounded like something out of a child’s cartoon, but she, a unicorn herself was in front of me and she had demonstrated her magical ability many times after we had the long talk, so I could only believe what she had told me.

I had not told her anything specific about myself other than the reason for me being on “Vacation” and Regarding my world, well I didn’t know exactly what to tell her, but she asked a lot of questions so that was not a problem, giving her answers however, were. My world is a cruel and evil place compared to hers, here the ink in an old book can mean more than the lives of thousand people, she did not believe me at first, she thought it was some kind of human joke I was pulling on her, but after I had shown her a couple of recorded incidents, one of them being the Baslan school hostage taking, she knew that I was telling the truth.

She had understandably been quite sad to hear that my world was like this and being stranded here, away from all she held dear did not help.

Rarity had explained that her friend called Twilight Sparkle, a unicorn that was quiet adept in the use of magic had tried to teach her a teleportation spell, learning the spell had been easy for Rarity, but it all went wrong when Twilight had tried to make a co-teleportation, Rarity had said that at first everything felt fine, but suddenly magic had begun to whirl wildly around them, Twilight herself had teleported out of the magical maelstrom and had called out for Rarity to do the same, only she couldn’t, fear had “griped her mind” as she said herself, she began to suffocate, and her vision darkened, the last thing she remembered was the teary face of her friend, calling out to her.


Talking about this, she had been quite emotional and I had tried my best to reassure her that her friends were most likely trying everything they could to bring her back, even though I had no way of knowing if they were, she said that she hoped they were, but they could just as easily think that she had been vaporized and was gone forever, this thought of course had made her even more sad, and after two weeks of waiting and seeing how sad she was I had another long talk with her.

I had told her that since there was no way to know for sure if she ever would be able to return home, she should accept the fact that she might have to live in my world for the rest of her life, after I had said this she had become quiet and had asked to be alone, I gave her the space she had asked for and after a day alone in “her” bedroom, she came to me with a request I could not deny her.

“Nikolai… can I stay here with you… for the time being?”

“Of course you can Rarity, you can stay as long as you’d like”

There was no way in hell I would have said no, in this world she needed someone to protect her and I was determined to be that someone.

Since she would be staying with me for an unknown amount of time, I asked if she would like to decorate the house, so It would feel more like a home to her.

At first she didn’t want to, but eventually we were ordering various furniture, paintings and other decorative items over the internet, almost all of it was old French styled, I have to admit, at first I didn’t like it, but it grew on me… just like Rarity had.


Knock Knock


A soft knocking on the door broke my trail of thought.

“Darling, for how long do you plan on being in there; breakfast is getting cold and I want to see how you look in your new set of clothes” Rarity voice was growing impatient.

“just a minute” I responded as I stepped out of the shower and began drying myself with a towel, as I did, I stared at the clothes on the stool, the socks and boxers were my own, but the pants and shirt were “Rarity Made” as she called it.

The shirt was dark purple and the pants were bright white, just like the colors of Rarity’s mane and coat, I liked it, luckily everything fit me perfectly and I sighed in relief, this was not the first set of clothes that she had made for me, she had made a few other sets of clothes to thank me ever since we had furnished a workroom for her, the first couple of sets she had made for me were way to tight in all the “wrong” places and on top of that they were… let just say I looked more like a duster than a gentleman, it was no pretty sight.

After much trial and error, the clothes that she made became more simple and practical; she even made some of my own clothing more comfortable by refitting it with softer materials, she had also made a few dresses for herself that she would wear now and then.


“She’s really outdone herself this time” I said this as I opened the door and was met with Rarity’s annoyed face, but immediately upon seeing me wearing her newest creation, she beamed with joy.

“WA-HAHA-HA, I knew it, perfect, now if you would be so kind to pose for me please”

I knew this routine and I did as she wanted.

“Good, no stress on the seams, shoulders look good, OH and that collar, very nice-“

She continued to mutter to herself as she inspected her work carefully, I didn’t try to stop her, once she started it was almost impossible to make her stop.

“- the length of the legs are also perfect… how does it feel…down there? Tight?” she asked with a concerned and embarrassed tone.

“No its perfect, feels good and light, though I think I’ll need to get used to the color”

She giggled

“Yes, that, I did not want to make it all dark since, well most of your clothing is black or has camouflage on it, but enough talk about clothes, come now, breakfast is waiting”


I followed rarity to the kitchen table and sat down; my mouth watered as I gazed upon the large assortment of food, there was pancakes, muffins, waffles, a cake and a large number of fruits, sadly there was no bacon, since the mere sight of meat made rarity sick, though eggs were ok for me to eat and I needed them for the protein now that my diet had become that of a vegetarian, though I have to admit that when I was out buying groceries and other stuff, I would buy a hotdog or… three, I didn’t tell her that of course.

“May I?” I asked.

She giggled again and smiled at me with that smile I had grown so fond of these past few months.

“You may, and please do tell me what you think of the cake”

“Oh don’t worry, I’ll tell you” I said as I starred at the strawberry covered mass of sugar and whip cream, eating cake and sweets was something that I also had become accustomed to since where rarity came from it was not unusual to eat these things several times a day.


Sitting there at the table eating together made me feel at ease, a feeling that I enjoyed, here in the house I didn’t need to be vigilant of my surroundings, here we were alone, away from the eyes of the world and with no worries at all.

Just like I preferred it.


Rarity’s head suddenly jerked upward as she remembered something.

“Oh by the way, Michael called while you were in the shower, he left a message on the answering machine, but all he said was that you should call him, it was something about the company not doing so well… Nikolai… what is going to happen once he wants you to return?”

It was understandable that she was worried; at some point I would have to go back to work at R.S.C and that would mean that she would be left alone in the house.

“Don’t worry about it when that time comes I’ll have a talk with Michael, if I tell him how much I like my new, eh… lifestyle, he`ll understand, I know he will”

“Nikolai there is actually something about that, I would like to talk to you about”

She was fidgeting on the stool, yet she had a determined look on her face.

“Do you think we could perhaps sell some of my dresses?”

This surprised me; I knew that she had made a few dresses for human females and that It annoyed her that she could only see them worn by manikins, but I guess it would be natural for a dressmaker to want her creations to be worn by someone that could appreciate them.

“Well I guess we could…hmm, maybe over the internet or-“

Rarity stooped me midsentence.

“I honestly had something else in mind”

I knew where she was going with this so I asked her directly.

“Rarity… do you want to be known to the public?”

She fidgeted again.

“I have thought about it a lot, you are my caretaker and I wish to repay you with more than just cooking and clothing, also I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss the feeling of being known for my craft, but I will not ask this of you if it is too much trouble”

It would be a lot of trouble, why did she have to ask that, everything was perfect; I was satisfied just being here with her, not having to give an interest to the “outside” world, not having to worry about what might happen to her, I wanted her to stay here hidden away along with myself.


No… who was I to deny her request, it wouldn’t be right to say no, to deny her the chance of a “life” here in my world, right now she was nothing more than a house maid, she needed this and maybe this could benefit someone that I had brought in a lot of trouble.

“How about I call Michael after when done eating, I’ll ask him to come visit and then we’ll see what happens?”

She immediately jumped up with a loud “REALLY?” witch was quite unlike her usual ladylike calm.

I smiled; this was what I had come to enjoy so much, the feeling of being needed not only as a protector, but also as a friend.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Hey Nikolai long time no see, how you been” Michael asked before giving me a friendly hug.

“Hi boss, I’ve been good, thanks for coming on such short notice”

Michael let out a heartfelt laugh.

“Hell you just saved me a ton of paperwork and besides I haven’t see you in, what 5 months now, I can see that some things have changed” he said while running his eyes up and down the dark purple shirt and the white pants Rarity had ordered me to wear.

“You don’t know the half of it, but come on in we can’t stand here all day, and there is someone you need to meet”

“Ah yeah the Mystery person you couldn’t tell me about over… the… wow-“ as Michael walked through the main entrance he was clearly surprised to see how the inside of the house looked, but a second later the surprised look turned into a brotherly grin”-you’re going to introduce me to your girlfriend aren’t you?”

Now it was me that was surprised. “What, no”

Michael arched a brow “…boyfriend”

“WHAT, NO, just come on and I’ll introduce you, god damn it”

Michael and I walked into the kitchen, he laughed all the way there probably because of my reaction, I gestured for him to take a seat and he did, I then walked over to the stairs leading to the second floor where Rarity’s workroom was located and called for her.

“Rarity, come on down and introduce yourself” I then turned to look a Michael with a devilish smile. “I can’t wait to see the look on your face”

Michael was just about to ask me what I meant, but then Rarity descended the staircase, the further down she came the more confused Michael looked.

Rarity sat down opposite to him and looked at him with a nervous yet warm smile.

I walked over and placed my hands on the back of the chair. “Michael, meet Rarity, she is the possible client I was telling you about over the phone”

Rarity opened her mouth, but before she had a chance to say anything, Michael laughed aloud.

“HA-HA-HA, that’s a good one, Nick, is that a toy, this is a joke right?... right?”

Before I could answer him, Rarity spoke up.

“Mister Hansen, you are being rather rude, I can assure you that I am no toy, I am a unicorn and a lady at that, I had pictured you as a gentleman after all of the Things Nikolai has told me about you, now I believe a apology is in order”

Michael said nothing he just looked at her with a blank expression on his face.

“Come on boss, say you’re sorry and introduce yourself”

He didn’t, instead he fell sideways towards the floor in a 90 degree angle, and once there he was motionless… he had fainted.

“Oh…that was… unexpected, what now?” rarity asked looking at me with concerned eyes.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


”Goodbye Mr. Hansen, please do come visit us sometime soon” said Rarity as Michael and I walked out of the front door.

“I will miss Rarity, uhm, I will” he said this while waving sheepishly at her.

When Michael and I reached his car, he turned around and placed his hands on my shoulders.

“This is just what the company needs Nikolai; I can’t thank you or Rarity enough” I could hear the happiness in his voice, it was understandable, after I had snapped in Saudi Arabia I had only gone downhill for the company. Now the company could have a fresh start, but it wouldn’t be easy and I knew it.

“Boss… instead of thanking me, there is one thing I would like to ask of you regarding the protection of Rarity”

Instantly Michael replied “Anything, you just name it”

I looked him straight in the eye. “I want to be allowed to use the amount of personnel and equipment that I deem necessary to keep Rarity safe”

“Nikolai-“

“Please Michael! If anything were to happen to her… I can’t lose her…not her too…please”

I had never asked Michael for anything before and now I was begging him to help me. He stared at me for a second or two before answering.

“Okay… I understand” after a moment’s silence he punched me on the shoulder and smiled broadly ”I’ll call you in a couple of days, once I have prepared everything, ok?”

I nodded and gave him a quick hug. “Thanks boss… it means a lot to me”

“Yeah, yeah get off me this is getting gay”

With that he got into his car and waved as he drove off.

I walked back to the house, once inside I closed the door and let out a relived sigh, Rarity meeting Michael had gone better than I had expected… that is if you ignored the part where he fainted of course.

I walked into the living room, Rarity sat on the couch and stared at the setting sun, for some reason she looked sad, I sat down next to her.

“Is something wrong Rarity?”

She didn’t answer, instead she leaned herself against me and placed a foreleg over my stomach.

“I’m going to cause you a lot of stress aren’t I” she looked concerned at me with those Azure blue eyes, and it made me smile.

“Don’t worry I’m used to being stressed, besides as long your happy, then I’m happy… so don’t worry okay”

She smiled back at me and then placed he head against my chest. “Okay…”

We sat like that for some time, eventually Rarity let out a long sigh.

“Are you tired?” I asked, but she didn’t answer, she was already fast asleep. “What is it with you and falling asleep against me” I didn’t want to wake her so i reached for the blanket that was next to Rarity and carefully tugged it in under her and myself, this was the first time since I had found her that we had been this close and I enjoyed it, I enjoyed the warmth of her as she laid against me, it made me fell calm and serene.

“Thank you for coming into my life Rarity… Thank you…” I whispered softly as I myself drifted off to sleep.