• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 936 Views, 41 Comments

Property of West Wind - OleGrayMane



Beset by an uncertain economy and uncooperative weather, the Apples hire three drifters to help out for the season. One of them desires to become more than what he's been, and nopony's life is the same again. ⭐️ SA Featured

  • ...
3
 41
 936

Diary, Part Seven


Wednesday, 25 July

After our little outing the other week, I went to the library in the afternoon and returned my books. Miss Twilight suggested I try reading something new instead of the type of books like I'd been reading. She asked if I had any ideas and it took me a while to think of something. Then I remembered the book I got from Mr. Tock, the one I couldn't finish. It was about an old king and his two evil daughters and the one kind one. Miss Twilight knows her stories just like Mr. Tock and found it for me in no time.

I've worked real hard at reading it. Lots of times I wanted to give up, but I owed it to Mr. Tock to make an real effort. I kept reading and rereading until I understood it, and after a while, it wasn't so bad. I finished tonight. Maybe I should write Mr. Tock and tell him I finished that story. He'd probably like to know where I'm at and what's been happening.

When I go back to the library on Sunday, I'll thank Miss Twilight for making me read something different, but I'm going to ask her if she has something that won't wear me out as much as that one did.

Saturday, 4 August

Tonight I'm by lonesome because Doc and Shorty went to town. They've been talking about going back to that tavern again for most of the week, but I didn't want to go with them. I'd rather just be alone here. Before they left, Doc asked me for what must have been the fifth time if I wanted to go. I said no thanks.

Shorty told Doc to forget about “that old wet blanket” that was bound to spoil all their fun. He's got a pretty short memory of who spoiled the fun last time. Without even thinking, I blurted out that he could go to town or go to hell for all it mattered to me. The next thing I know, Doc's roaring with laughter and pushes Shorty out the door. I heard Doc laughing and Shorty complaining as they headed out. I guess I finally got one on him. It felt good.

The bunkhouse is quiet now. I imagine it will be this quiet in the winter. Sort of silly to think of winter on a hot night like tonight. When winter comes, it'll just be me sitting next to that old stove, reading something, after a hard day's work. I don't know, maybe I can even spend an evening with the Apples every so often, just to chat for a while after supper. I could get used to living like that.

Tuesday, 7 August

I tarried a bit after deliveries this morning, thinking about the flower shop again. I walk by it two or three times, but didn't see anypony and decided to head back. One of these days I'll get the courage to walk in there and ask that mare for her mother's address. I've thought of writing her a note, just to thank her for keeping me company the other week. Of course, I've thought of writing Mr. Tock. I ain't done that either.

On the way back to the farm, I ran into little Miss AB and her friend with the scooter. I asked them what they was up to so early in the day. Of course, I knew the answer. They were going into town to meet up with her other friend, and then all three planned on a day of adventuring, trying to discover themselves. She and her friends must do this two or three times a week. I warned her to be careful, otherwise Granny will have her hide if she got scraped up again.

She's a funny kid, but I like her. Right now, she's as old as my sister was when I left home, but other than that, they ain't alike at all. Having her around make me thing of Sis though. I keep thinking about writing ponies. Maybe I should start with her. I'm not certain where she'd be living. If I sent a letter general delivery they might get it to her.

Maybe I've got to stop thinking about the past. She's got her own life now, and I'm sure she forgot about her useless brother years ago. I've got my new life here on the farm that I need to pay attention to. When I'm all settled here next spring, maybe then I'll write folks.

Thursday, 16 August

After lunch I talked with Granny about the state of affairs in the garden. I told her that when we filled this morning's orders, lots of the vegetables didn't look good at all. Here it wasn't even eight in the morning and the leaves of the squash were drooping like it was mid-afternoon. We agreed this was the hottest August either of us could remember. It's bad enough that there ain't been a cloud in the sky from sun up to sun down, but I can't remember the last time we had some decent rain. She joked about frying an eggplant, but told me she was working on getting our weather problem fixed.

I sure hope she does it soon, because if she don't, we're gonna start losing crops. On top of that, this heat sure is taxing when you are out there working all day. The cloudless days turn into cloudless nights, so at least it manages to cool down. A few times last week it even got a bit chilly. We've taken to opening up every window in the bunkhouse to let it cool down, but it still takes hours before it does. When it finally gets there, it's perfect for sleeping. If it stayed hot all night long, I don't know how I'd get any rest.

We'll be needing plenty of rest with harvest season coming up. The corn don't mind the heat that much, so it's looking fine. The squashes and pumpkins are starting to ripen, but I think they'd like a little drink. The apple trees are a mixed bag. Miss AJ says the work she and her brother put in is going to pay off, but there are plenty of sorry looking trees. She said with some wet weather things will be just fine by next month. I sure hope she's right.

Either way, I'm proud about being part of this farm and what we've done this summer. When we start hauling this year's crops into town, I'm going to enjoy it. I did something that counted, not just sweeping out a warehouse or cleaning up somepony's lawn. There've been too many jobs that didn't mean nothing except making enough money to eat. Working and living on this farm isn't just a regular job, it's being part of everypony's lives. When you're a farmer you're important to the whole town. Pa tried to explain it to me when I was young, but I didn't get it. I do now.

Monday, 20 August

At supper the Apples were talking about the weather. Granny still ain't solved our weather problem. We had a drizzle two days ago, but nothing to speak of since. The days keep getting hotter and the vegetables are looking real bad. Miss AJ's fretting over the apple trees because some of their leaves turned yellow and fell off.

When we were back at the bunkhouse, Shorty started complaining how they worry too much. He only cares about it getting cooler so the work is easier. For once, I didn't pay him no mind. First, I was too hot and tired to give a damn about what he thinks. Second, it's just Shorty being his complaining self.

He's not a farmer, so he doesn't understand how us farmers think. He should go back to railroading the first chance he gets.

Wednesday, 22 August

We were heading back out to the fields after lunch when the Weather Patrol mare, the one with the rainbow mane, swooped down and started talking to Miss AJ. We kept going so we didn't exactly hear what they were talking about, but we were able to watch the happenings while we worked.

Let's just say it was pretty plain that Miss AJ weren't too happy about the service our farm's been getting. We watched them squabble for a while, but it looked like they got it settled. I expect we'll have a good soaker to get things back on track.

After Miss AJ cleared off, Shorty had some more choice comments on how stupid those mares were. I reminded him that if we don't have crops to take to market this fall, how does he expect to get his payout? He said that wasn't his problem to figure out. In some ways, I wish they wouldn't have enough money to pay him. It would serve him right.

Monday, 27 August

I had a dream last night. I was little again and back on the farm I grew up on. Sis and I were playing in the fields. Pa was working there too, smiling away. I should have known it was a dream right then. Pa hardly ever smiled.

He told the two of us to go see if supper was ready, so we ran back to the house. Ma was cooking in the kitchen, humming a tune. Sis started helping her, while I sat and watched. Pa came in from the fields and began to wash up. Nothing special or strange was going on like in some dreams. Things were happening like they always should have.

All of a sudden, clear as day, a mare's voice says, “Time to go”. At first I thought it might be Ma, but honestly I don't remember the sound of her voice. Then I thought, maybe it was one of those late for school dreams, but that didn't make no sense. I got scared, because maybe the voice was Miss AJ's, and I'd overslept and was late for work!

I popped straight up, but it wasn't morning. It was still the middle of the night, all pitch black and with Doc snoring away. I couldn't get back to sleep at all and was tired all day.

Saturday, 1 September

Today was an extra day off because of the big rain. It started mid-morning and came down pretty much the whole day, just stopping a while ago.

Up until noon, I read some more of the books I had from the library. We had lunch, where the weather talk was all good for once, and then the three of us raced back to the bunkhouse, trying to stay dry.

It wasn't half an hour later when Shorty tried to get a card game going. I told him no way I'd ever gamble with him again, but he kept bugging me. He gave me a shove, saying I was afraid to play him. I let that slide and joked that if I played, I might as well just hand over my pay to him and get it over with. He held out his hoof like he expected me to actually do it!

I wanted to fight him so bad, but I didn't. I held my temper because I've got to be decent and respectable. No more thinking like a roustabout with no couth. He tried to provoke me, staring me down, and if he'd kept it up, I might have lost control.

Doc came to my rescue and took him off to play cards. I got out of the bunkhouse and sat under the eaves, not that those leaky things kept me dry. While I was sitting there, I spied Mr. Mac heading up to the big barn with a tool box. I got the notion right away that there was another way to prove how useful I can be.

By the time I got to the barn, Mr. Mac was arranging his tools. I asked if he could use any help. I've learned Mr. Mac is a proud feller, and odds were he might not want anypony helping him. He waited a good bit, but finally said okay. My gamble paid off.

We spent the rest of the day fixing all sorts of things. I didn't want to offend Mr. Mac none, so I let him do the real work. He had me fetch or hold things. There was no small talk, and I did as I was told. We ended up getting most everything in order this afternoon, and we'll be needing everything to be in shape come harvest time.

If there's been any of the Apples I've been worried about, it's been Mr. Mac. He's too quiet to figure out. I get along fine with Granny even when she acts strange, and Miss AJ knows I'm a hard worker, but how can you tell where you stand with a pony if he hardly says nothing? Surely, Mr. Mac knows what type of pony I am now. There's hardly two months left before our contract is up, and it'll be time to ask to stay on. After today, I believe I'm alright with him, and I don't think I'll have a problem convincing any of them to keep me on. It was a good day, even if I got soaked.

So, Shorty being an ass has been a blessing in disguise. Who would have ever guessed anything good would come from him and his mouth. Certainly not me.