• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 932 Views, 41 Comments

Property of West Wind - OleGrayMane



Beset by an uncertain economy and uncooperative weather, the Apples hire three drifters to help out for the season. One of them desires to become more than what he's been, and nopony's life is the same again. ⭐️ SA Featured

  • ...
3
 41
 932

Diary, Part Two


Tuesday, 10 April

I didn't get the chance to leave on my own. Can't say I didn't expect it. After breakfast, Mr. Tock explained I was going to have to go. It was pretty awful, because you could see how upset he was. I know Spring made him do this.

Spring stood there, watching us, making sure his uncle got rid of me. Then, when I went to get my things, he followed me upstairs and watched everything I did. The bastard must have figured I was going to steal something.

When I went downstairs, I thanked Mr. Tock for keeping me on over the winter. I almost broke down myself, but I wasn't about to give Spring the satisfaction. Mr. Tock hugged me, and I felt some coins drop into my vest pocket. He'd slipped me twenty bits without Spring seeing. I won't never forget his kindness.

I hit the streets and wandered about for the rest of the day. I didn't look for work or a place stay like I should have. Instead, I just kept walking. Living with Mr. Tock had been a real good deal, but now that's all over. I suppose it took a while to sink in. Eventually, it began to get dark and I got hungry. There was only one place left to go.

Tonight I'm back to sleeping in a shelter. I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow.

Wednesday, 11 April

I spent all day walking up and down every street, looking for work. I didn't see a single help wanted sign in a window. At all and every place I bothered to ask about a job, even just sweeping up, they told me no. I had my hopes up that I'd find something fast, but that don't look like it's going to happen.

So, I'm at the shelter again. I guess I could get a cheap room to flop, but I think I need to hold on to my bits for now. The soup and the blankets may be thin at this place, but it's better than nothing, especially at this time of the year.

I don't mean to complain, because they try hard here. They don't judge you, and they'll help as much as they can, or as much as you’re willing to let them. I've got food and a decent bed, and they keep everypony pretty safe. It's a nice place, as these sorts of places go, but I do miss being at Mr. Tock's.

I'll try again tomorrow. If I find a job for just a day or two, I'd be all right. There's got to be something out there.

Saturday, 14 April

Another wasted day. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I'm going to wear my hooves off walking around this stupid city looking for work. I don't dare wander too far from the shelter, otherwise I might not be able to get back here before dark. Sometimes they fill up, and I don't want to be left out on the street. I'm getting too old for that nonsense.

I need to find work. After all, I can't wear out my welcome here. It's one thing to need this place for a while, but they won't let you stay forever. I'm willing to do any work, if somepony would just give me a chance. But the situation looks worse than last fall, and I'm running out of ideas. Being honest and willing to work aren't worth a damn if there's no jobs to be had.

Today wasn't all bad. I ended up with a story I think Mr. Tock would like. This must be the kind of thing he told me to put down here.

So, I walk inside a book store because it was cold and drizzling and I needed to be out of the weather for a while. They had a big pile of books, and I found one filled with short stories like one of the ones in Mr. Tock's library. Having nothing else to do, I started in on it. I'd finished one story and was starting on another, when the pony who owned the place came over. He said what they always say: “You know this isn't a library.” Clever fellow. I had to buy something or get out.

That made me mad, not that I said anything to him. For a second, I thought about putting that book in my bag and running out with it. It'd serve him right, wouldn't it? It wasn't like he had any other customers, and I wasn't wearing out the words by reading them. But, with the way my luck's been heading, I was sure I'd get caught. The shelter's mattress may be lumpy, but it's better than the one in the jailhouse.

Then I remembered the coins. That was found money, and Mr. Tock would've been pleased to know I'd bought a book with them. So I took the book up to the mare sitting behind the register at the front counter, while that owner watched me like a hawk. The book was a whole ten bits, so I slid her one of the coins. Then she did the damnedest thing. She slid me five bits back. I was about to tell her she figured it wrong.

But she winked at me and said, “New customer discount.”

I thanked her, grabbed the change, and got out before the owner knew what she'd done.

Monday, 16 April

Finally, I got my luck back! After supper, I was sitting and reading my book, when somepony kicked my bed. At first, I thought they'd come to rob me, so I leaned over and grabbed my saddlebags. Instead of getting beat or robbed, I heard laughing. When I looked up to see what they hay was going on, I couldn't believe it.

It was good old Doc from the lumber camp! Why, I hadn't even thought of his worthless hide in at least a year, and there he was in the flesh. I told him I was never so happy to be laughed at in my life.

Doc and this other pony called Shorty sat down. We talked a bit about how things were going, which weren't good. None of us have seen a single chance for work. Doc got all sly looking and told me he had a plan. He's pretty smart, so when he said that, I got excited.

With the weather getting good, he and Shorty were fixing to head south. He knew of farms that hire ponies for the whole summer, sometimes all the way through fall. The work wouldn't be easy, but he promised it wouldn't be too hard. It certainly couldn't be harder than hauling lumber.

The pair of them planned to buy food for a day or two, hop a southbound, and start hunting for jobs. Finally, he said what I was dying to hear. He said I could come along if I wanted. Normally, I don't travel with nopony unless I know them. Doc was okay, but I don't know Shorty. But if Doc thinks he's okay, that's good enough for me.

It didn't take but a second for me to tell him real loud, “Heck yeah, I'll go.” Doc laughed at me a second time.

While Doc and Shorty find us a train tomorrow, I'll buy myself a little food for the trip. We'll meet down by the yards late in the day. I can't wait to leave this city behind me.