• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 932 Views, 41 Comments

Property of West Wind - OleGrayMane



Beset by an uncertain economy and uncooperative weather, the Apples hire three drifters to help out for the season. One of them desires to become more than what he's been, and nopony's life is the same again. ⭐️ SA Featured

  • ...
3
 41
 932

Diary, Part Five


Sunday, 27 May

It took me a while, but I finally finished the book I bought with Mr. Tock's money. The stories were pretty good, and every time I read one, I'd think back to living with Mr. Tock. But I'm done with them all, so I needed to get something new to read.

After breakfast, I asked Miss AJ if there was a bookstore in town. She said there was, but first I should go to the library run by her friend. Since I've got to make up for my losses, free books sounded like a fine idea. I grabbed my saddlebags and headed off.

On the edge of town, I'm walking along when a pink mare pops out of nowhere and asks me if I'm new in town. The first thought in my head was she was part of some “welcome committee”. Maybe somepony else was hiding in the bushes to beat me up and make sure I kept moving on. It wouldn't have been the first time I received a greeting like that.

Of course, this time things would be different, because I had my job on the farm. Still, that wild look on her face and her out-of-control mane made me nervous. And where had she come from in the first place?

Right away, I told her I didn't want no trouble. She twisted her face up funny, looking real puzzled. I explained I work on the Apple's farm and was headed for the library in town. A big smile swallowed her face as she told me she knew Miss AJ, Granny, Mr. Mac, and even little Miss Bloom. I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing it was going to be okay. When I asked about the library, she said she'd take me there because the librarian was her friend too. Small towns are nice since everypony knows everypony else.

According to her, everypony in town was her friend. While we walked, she kept bouncing up and down like a spring, talking a mile a minute. She went on and on about every little thing from her job to other ponies, and I swear, not once did she take a breath. I was exhausted from her talk by the time we got to the library. Before I could thank her, she'd disappeared. A very strange case.

When I opened the library door, I froze, because right in front of me was a dragon sorting books. Now, a couple of the stories I've read had dragons in them, and they were always flying around terrorizing towns, and sometimes, swallowing ponies whole. The little feller didn't look like he could fly, yet alone swallow nopony, but I'd never seen a dragon before, big or small, so I was in shock!

He turned around and asked if he could help me. I stammered that I'd come to get a book, so he called out for the librarian, Miss Twilight, telling her she had a customer. She came downstairs and asked what type of book I was looking for, and then led me off to where I could find them. She seems to know exactly where every book is in that place. I bet a hundred bits she and Mr. Tock would get along fine.

It didn't take me no time before I found one that'll last me for a while. When I asked what I had to do to borrow it, all she wanted to know was the title, where I lived, and when I planned on returning it. I'd been expecting a hassle, but it was nothing special at all. Here she hadn't known me for all of ten minutes, yet she trusted what I said was the truth. I'm embarrassed to say I was touched.

Going to town to get a book has been a little adventure. Ponyville is different from most places I've been, and I can't say that's a bad thing. They've got nice folk here. A bit strange sometimes, but nice.

Sunday, 2 June

Clean-up's all finished now, and the three of us are working the fields. The Apples are tending to their trees. I don't think they'd feel right having other ponies work on them.

All day we check on the corn and weeded the vegetables. The work's not that hard, but it's getting a bit hot out in the fields. Shorty's never worked on a farm, so he thinks it's pretty tough, but for me it's like being a kid again.

On our farm we grew our own vegetables too and raised acres of corn. Back then, that corn seemed to go on forever, and the work went on even longer. Now it don't bother me that much. As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to help bring in the harvest this year. Maybe Pa would be happy to know that farming was in my blood after all.

When the three of us started working the fields, we'd tell stories and joke to pass the time, but we ran out of things to talk about pretty fast. Now, we'll start out talking in the morning, but after a while, we get quiet and just do our work. With all that quiet, I've been thinking.

I've been thinking about what I want to do with myself. It seems like a long way off, but fall is gonna come around before I expect it. We'll get cashed out, and I'll have more bits saved then I've seen in years. Once I'm done here, what am I gonna do with myself? With all that money, I could get a proper train ticket and go anywhere I wanted. I even considered going home, then again, I thought not. It might be nice to see Sis again, but would she remember me? It was a long time ago and she was awful young.

If I don't have no particular place to go, do I just bum around? Where's that ever got me? I can't keep rolling around, going from job-to-job forever. Then I ask myself, what's wrong with staying here?

I could stay right here on this farm. These folks gave me an opportunity, a chance to prove I'm not a bum. Working here makes me feel important, like I've got a chance to do something with my life. It's not too late to change, is it?

They could use somepony here this winter to help out with the chores. I could winter-over and be ready to help them next season. There'd be no need to train somepony next year, because I'd already know it and be right here to help out. They're sincere folks. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

I've got it fixed in my mind that this is the right thing to do. I might have convinced myself, but I'm gonna have to spend my thinking time figuring out how to convince them.

Saturday, 8 June

If I want to convince these good folks to keep me on, I need to be respectable. It's been ages since I've been to a real barber. I've got bits now, so I decided to head to town tonight and see one. I'm getting to be a regular in town these days. I can't describe how good it feels to have ponies say hello to you when they see you on the street. Every time they do, it makes me certain staying here is the right thing to do.

I had the barber do me up with a short mane and tail like an honest working pony. He used that tonic I remember from when I was a colt. Pa would take me to the barber before school would start, and I remember that smell. Funny how somethings never change. After I finished at the barber shop, I went out for some fresh duds.

I could afford to get something new, especially as I'm going to winter over here, but that's no reason to waste money. So I found a place where I could get something used, but not worn out. They had a rather sporty vest that fit well. Then I spied this dashing bowler hat and tried it on in front of a mirror. The clerk sitting up front was watching me try it on. I'd just opened my mouth to ask her opinion, when she shook her head. I put it back.

With my new look and new vest, I trotted back to the farm all spry. Part of the reason I felt so good is I think I have my plan figured out. When I got back to the bunkhouse, Doc said I looked dapper. I like the sound of the word dapper. But I swear, the minute I start feeling good about anything, Shorty fixes it for me. He asked if I was gonna ask Granny for a date.

That may be clever and all, but I didn't appreciate it. I just ignored him, got my things, and headed out for a while. When he's like this, the farther away I am from him, the better I feel. What I can't figure out is why Doc hangs out with Shorty.

Ignoring Shorty and his mouth is the best thing for me to do. Fall's gonna come around, and I'll be rid of him. I've got to keep reminding myself of that.

Tuesday, 11-June

Today was the day to act on my plan. Every Tuesday and Thursday Mr. Mac makes deliveries in town. Granny hands out the order list, we pick the vegetables, pack the crates, and load up Mr. Mac's wagon.

After we finished breakfast, I pulled Granny aside and said I had a proposal. Since there is so much work for Mr. Mac and Miss AJ to do, why not let me take the orders into town. My stomach churned while she stood there and thought it through. I didn't feel any better when she went off to talk to Mr. Mac. It's hard to tell what that pony is thinking, but it must have been all right, because Granny said okay.

The three of us got everything picked and packed just like normal. As we finished loading the wagon, Granny got me the list of the stops and how much was due at each. When Doc figured out what I was up to, he chuckled about me volunteering for extra work. I just shrugged and grinned at him. I could see Shorty wanted to say something, but he wasn't about to do it with the Apples around. He settled for giving me a frown.

Hauling the loaded wagon wasn't a problem at all. It was easier pulling it over the road than pulling carts over the paths in the orchard. Before I knew it, I was at my first stop. Then I stood there like a fool. In all my excitement, I hadn't figured out what I was going to do or say when I got there.

After a deep breath, I knocked on the back door of the shop. When the mare who runs the place answered, she was confused since she didn't know who I was or what I wanted. It took a moment, but I managed to explain I was filling in for Mr. Mac on deliveries today. Once that got straightened out, she checked her order, payed what she owed, and gave me a new order. She also wanted me to say “Hi” to Mr. Mac for her.

It was pretty much the same story at all the other stops. By the end, I'd worked up a little speech to introduce myself. I kept laughing as I trotted back to the farm with my empty wagon. I think the ponies I passed on the way back thought I'd gone batty.

This plan of mine worked out real good. The Apples are gonna see how reliable and decent I am. By the time summer's over, I'm sure they'll want to keep me on. I've asked Granny if I could do this again on Thursday and she said she'd think it over. Once they see I'm reliable, I'm going to ask her if I can do deliveries all the time. I'm holding my breath this is going to work out.