• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 932 Views, 41 Comments

Property of West Wind - OleGrayMane



Beset by an uncertain economy and uncooperative weather, the Apples hire three drifters to help out for the season. One of them desires to become more than what he's been, and nopony's life is the same again. ⭐️ SA Featured

  • ...
3
 41
 932

To Her Mother


Wednesday, 18 July

Hey Mom!

It was wonderful to see you this weekend. Every time you come to town, I just end up missing you more when you have to head home. But please don't think that means you should stop coming!

I'm sorry about the mix up on Saturday night, but you gave us such sort notice. Lucky and I got those reservations weeks ago, and I'd promised him so many times that we would have a proper night out at a real restaurant, rather than just grabbing a bite to eat after we get off work. He was so excited when he finally managed to get the reservation, I thought he was going to burst. When I told him last Thursday that you were coming into town for the weekend, I though he was going to cry. Not because you were coming, but because he was worried I'd have to cancel our date.

I can't tell you too many times that you are such a great mom for being so understanding. Lucky was nervous that you would get cross if we 'abandoned' you on Saturday, but I told him to relax. He doesn't really understand you yet, and, gee, he can be so excitable. Sometimes I think he is even more excitable than me! I guess things worked out pretty well in the end, didn't they? We got seated right away and the meal came quickly. It almost felt like they were trying to rush us out! The food was extraordinary, and I can see why they require reservations.

Maybe if you give us a couple of weeks notice next time (hint, hint), we can get reservations for everypony and have a real celebration. I know Lucky and I would certainly like to go back there. Why don't you help us out and give us an excuse to go.

And what a great find with that show at the tavern! It was almost like we had planned it, but honestly, it was just lucky that, er, Lucky found the flyer in the street on Saturday morning. I'm sure glad we had a chance to make the last part of the concert. From your description, I'm sorry we missed the first part.

And speaking of the first part, well, you are going to have to tell me exactly what went on before we arrived. You cannot conceal it, for you see, early this morning, a gentlecolt dropped by the shop.

I've seen him in town before, making deliveries for the Apple farm, but I've never talked to him. He was quite bashful and tongue tied when he stopped by. I eventually managed to pry out of him that he met you at the tavern on Saturday night. So you met a gentlecolt on Saturday evening. Very interesting. Perhaps you can explain how you forgot to tell me any of this before you left?

Anyway, after several silly questions, he explained he had a message for you. His entire message to you is “Hi”. That's it. Just “Hi”. He told me to tell you that, then he hurried out of the shop. You would have thought I was going to bite him or something.

Now that I have delivered his intriguing message, I'll be expecting a detailed letter from you soon. If it doesn't provide me with an adequate explanation of Saturday evening, I might have to trot down there and speak to you myself.

Oh, Rose and Daisy are pestering me to say “Hi”, too. We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Love — Lily