• Published 16th May 2013
  • 3,103 Views, 62 Comments

Broken Knowledge - LucidTech



When a creature who knows a little too much expresses his desire to live a little too little, Twilight decides to become his counselor.

  • ...
10
 62
 3,103

Chapter One

Twilight stared. That was all she could really do. She watched in stupid fascination as the creature approached. His too long black jacket swaying behind him as he walked, drawing the eye of all the ponies who found themselves on the streets of the town that was now hosting the appearance of a creature that none present could claim they had so much as heard of before. A general air of horror accompanied his presence, not outright terror. No. It was that disturbed feeling where you knew was something was wrong where the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and you find that deep within yourself you’re scared, and that you want it to go away.

The approaching being raised it’s gaze from the ground and looked at the surrounding ponies with a cold glare, unchanging. It passed over each of them, but it didn’t seem to have any other purpose, it was merely looking. After it had looked over Twilight like it had all the others, it lowered it’s gaze once again, it’s gait unbroken by the time it had taken to look at the spectators. It walked up to Twilight and, without a word or a gaze, proceeded to walk past her. She followed it with her gaze, silent, until an unmistakable sound cracked the air.

Twilight looked in horror as the creature glanced down at the book which it had stepped on, a book from the library that Twilight had dropped in surprise at the sight of the monstrous creature that had been approaching her. Then, after a moment, it began to grind it into the mud without any form of emotion present on it’s face. It took no pleasure in the act, but it didn’t seemed opposed to it either. It merely twisted it’s foot back and forth, ruining the book more and more with each passing second. This act was just enough to break Twilight’s mind from it’s stunned silence.

“Hey!” She shouted, drawing the attention of the being to her. “What gives you the right to do that?” It looked up at her, pitch black hair shooting away from it’s face as if in fear. It’s eyes were cold and it didn’t care anything about the small unicorn that had spoken out against his actions. Twilight studied the creature’s face, looking for any act or thought to make itself apparent, but she soon realized that while she was studying the creature, it wasn’t studying her. It didn’t seem to care in the slightest.

Eventually, however, it spoke. “Absolutely nothing.” It said, and continued to ruin the pages beneath his foot. With a burst of rage at the answer, Twilight summoned her magic and tossed the creature backward off the book. He rolled over the ground for a few feet, the momentum carrying his body like a ragdoll. He came to a stop with his head facing upwards and remained like that. Twilight’s attention shifted to the book, which she pulled from the mud and began to clean with a basic spell.

The creature, on the other hand, didn’t do anything. It just laid there staring up at the overcast sky. Then, it closed it’s eyes and inhaled deeply through it’s nose. It did this several more times as Twilight finished cleaning the book, and once more as she approached it. “What are you doing?” She asked, approaching the being carefully. It hadn’t showed any power or strength at all, but that didn’t mean it didn’t have it.

“Smelling the air, is that a crime now?” It asked, a tinge of anger in it’s voice.

“Don’t get snappy with me, you’re the one who was ruining my book with no reason whatsoever!” Twilight blurted, this creature was on the wrong side of the most powerful unicorn in town and it was going to pay if it kept along this track.

“Would it have mattered?”

“What?”

“Would it have mattered? If I had had a reason? No, probably not. You would have still been angry, you probably still would have tossed me across the mud. You would insist on doing it yourself if it had to be done.” It said, answering the question it had asked. “You wouldn’t care if I had given you a reason. So don’t even pretend that that’s what’s important. No, you only care that the book was damaged. So, it didn’t matter what I had told you, you still would have been pissed off.”

Twilight desperately wanted to argue with the being about this, esspecially given the smartass attitude it was displaying, but all the words rang true regardless. “So then, why were you ruining my book?”

“I really hate repeating myself. I didn’t have a reason. I never said you weren’t justified in doing what you did. I’m just telling you that pretending that me HAVING a reason would have changed things is stupid.” It said. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have nowhere to be and you’re being annoying.” It lifted itself off the ground and paused for a moment before heading towards the edge of the town.

“What do you mean ‘I have nowhere to be?’” Twilight shouted after the retreating form, now muddied along the back of it’s coat.

“Hardly matters where I kill myself does it? Here’s just as good as anywhere else, I’m just not quite ready to put the lead in my head.” Twilight looked on, wondering briefly on if the rhyme were on purpose or not, but shook it off.

“You’re going to kill yourself? Why would you do something like that?” Despite how rude the creature had been, Twilight still stood against all forms of taking a creature’s life. “Won’t your friends miss you?”

A broken laugh filled the air, raspy and forced. “My friends? What friends? You shouldn’t jump to conclusions. In just the few minutes we’ve talked, do you want to be my friend? No? Didn’t think so.” He paused for a minute. “As for the question, my dear, I think the world quite frankly sucks and I’m tired of having to deal with it.”

Twilight flashed her horn and teleported in front of the creature, which stopped it’s forward movement and glared down at the pony. “Move aside.”

“No. I can’t let you go and kill yourself.”

“So what do you propose then, ignorant idealist?”

“That you stay at my house, and we can talk over your issues.”

“And why in all the levels of hell would you do that? I’m a monster to you I’m sure. I ruined your book with no ulterior purpose and I think you know as well as I that we will not get along well.”

“Because I have to do something!” Twilight shouted.

The air was still for several moments as the creature held it’s gaze on the librarian only a foot or two away. “Fine, why the heck not. Let’s go.” It said, throwing its arms in the air as it displayed it’s displeasure. “Then you can talk to me about how you know me better than I know myself and pretend that I’m redeemable through the power of Christ or some bull crap.”

Twilight followed behind as the creature made its way back into the town. It stopped briefly, at the point where it had vandalized Twilight’s book, but soon continued on. Twilight prepared herself to tell him when he took a wrong turn, but he never did and before too long they had arrived at the library. “How did you know where I lived?” She asked, looking at the being.

“Does it honestly matter?” It asked, again peeved.

“N-No, I suppose not...” Twilight answered, seeing she was walking on unsteady ground with her words.

“Good, let’s go inside then, I’ll sleep in the basement, that’s usually well empty unless you have the machines in there, that sound good?”

“Y-yea... I guess so.”

“Fantastic!” It said, all but overjoyed and sarcasm dripping from it’s voice.

It walked in and made a beeline for the door to the basement. It swung the door open, entered and slammed it behind itself. The sound of footsteps descended down the staircase on the other side until they eventually stopped and she heard what could be assumed as something laying on the ground.

Spike then walked into the main room and, after looking around for a moment turned to look at the lavender unicorn who still stood just outside the threshold of the library. “Oh hey Twilight." He said and once again looked around. "If you’re here, then who went into the basement?” He asked with a bewildered look on his face.

“Quite frankly Spike, I have no idea.”