• Published 10th May 2013
  • 1,478 Views, 57 Comments

The Phoenix and The Illusion - Alasdair Edom



When Jace Beleren and Chandra Nalaar get pulled against their will into a strange plane with no way out, can they survive? More importantly, how long can Jace keep from being turned to ashes by Chandra?

  • ...
2
 57
 1,478

Chapter one: Confusion

Chapter one

Jace gave a nonchalant sigh as he rested his head on the pillow of his makeshift bed.
The planeswalker had been running from yet another organisation who wanted to capture him/kill him, and it was getting old.

"Somehow provoke a mysterious secret organization, check. Get chased by them as they scream for your head on a pike, check. Find out that you're either a heretic by their standards, or have accidentally taken something from them, working on it."
I give an irritated groan, and close my eyes.

"I wonder what it's like to be just a normal person with no special powers or a planeswalker spark... Boring? Sure, but I think there would be much less running involved, and maybe, just maybe, I would go more than a few months before someone is vying for my blood."
Even though there would be less chance of me getting killed living a normal life, I still wouldn't give up mine for anything... No matter how many horrible things I've done...

I relax and try to sleep without having to sedate myself to get rest, again...
But why do I feel like I'm falling? Did someone "Get the drop on me"? Heh...
"Stop wasting time with terrible puns and OPEN YOUR EYES!" I scream inside my head, and I do just that... Only to find myself falling through planes.

"What the... What?"
...
I am completely lost.

Why am I planeswalking? Did my spark ignite? I can't just wander between planes in the Blind Eternities for no reason.

Finding no way to steady myself, I continue to fall. I try to cast a spell to stop my travel, but my magic is contested for some reason.
"Why can't the Blind Eternities work normally for once? Wait... There is no up or down here... So how am I falling?"
I twist my body so I'm facing the direction I'm "Falling", only to see I'm being pulled into another Plane.

"IT'S ALWAYS ME!"

I get a good look at the small rift that's pulling me in, and it's unlike anything I've encountered before, not even anywhere near the very strangest of planes... But it wasn't aggressive or yanking at me, like some planes do, but instead... It was guiding me in, pulling me in gently, with no noticeable aggression.

But it was a very powerful plane, full of every mana type. I could even hear the mana singing to me... It was at harmony, no flaws in it's notes, and it sent shivers down my spine it was so beautiful. Still, I was being pulled into some strange plane, no matter what it's like, It's still cause for some degree of panic.

I was getting closer to the plane, unable to pull myself free from it's grasp, yet I was surrounded with openings to other planes. So why couldn't I hang onto them?
Even the planes that have been eager to snap up unsuspecting planeswalkers had just let me by without even trying to latch onto me, and at the same time, stopping me from grabbing onto it.

If there is one thing I've learned, it's that planes are like living things, and they can grab and manipulate you like any other being. They don't exactly "Feel" like most know it, but they have some form of equivalent that you can interpret as feelings.
And it was strange... they were all letting me past, as if they wouldn't, or couldn't, or both, try to grab onto me, or contest the plane that was pulling me in, as if the plane that was holding onto me was respected, or feared, or too powerful to contest.
All of this just made me more nervous.

I stop trying to jump to other planes, and just watch the rift get closer, and closer, until I was about to pass through.
"For the love of my spark, please don't drop me from a thousand feet in the air. Again."

I would know soon enough as I passed through the rift, and was basked in sunlight and pleasantly colored, if a bit bright, flora... Underneath me.
"Not again..."

I fall through the air, passing through a few clouds on the way, and I try to think up what I did last time this happened...
I pass through the cloud layer to reveal a slightly dark forest with crowded trees slowly getting closer and closer.
"Come on Jace, think..."

A feather falling spell come to mind, and cast it just in time as I fall through the tops of the tree not much later. The spell slowed me down considerably, but I was still going faster than I could run.
The tree's branches all give way as I make my way through, but they still manage to leave cuts and scrapes over my body.

I land with a loud thud and quite a lot of pain.

"What are you doing here?!" I hear a females voice exclaim in fiery anger, one I'm only too well acquainted with.

"Chandra Nalaar."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight was in her home, and the local library, re-reading a book she was rather fond of as of late; "Advanced theories of inter-dimensional shifting", written by Starswirl himself in his late years, and was relaxing. Well, she was until a massive nearby magical disturbance broke her concentration.

"Gah, what was that?!"

"What was what Twilight?"

I shake my head, "I just felt a massive magical recirculation in close proximity to Ponyville!"
Spike just stares at me with glazed eyes, "And in Equestrian?"

I roll my eyes, "It means somepony, or something, just used a dangerous amount of magical energy close to Ponyville."

Spike looks out the balcony window, "I don't see any explosions, magical fields, zombies, or aliens Twilight. Maybe you just got the shivers?"

I give a loud groan, "Spike, I know when I feel something like that, and only somepony like me or the Princesses could use that much magical energy! Whatever, or whoever, caused the disturbance, we need to locate them in case they're hurt or in danger."

Spike rolls his eyes, "Whatever you say Twilight. I still think it was just the shivers..."
I wasn't listening at this point, "Spike, I need you to go tell Pinkie and Rarity to meet up here pronto, and I'll get Applejack, Rainbow, and Fluttershy."

Spike gives a mock-salute, "Yes ma'am." and makes his way out the door, and I follow in rapid succession and gather up everypony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why are you here Jace?! Did you follow me?! Answer me before I turn you into ash!"

We both stand in rock-solid stance, ready to attack at a moments notice if either side makes a move.

"I did not follow you Chandra, I was pulled here against my will, and I have no reason to follow you." I reply, knowing better than to get angry with her.

"Why should I trust you, mind-mage?"

I keep eye contact, "I don't have a reason for you to trust me, and after what I've done in my life you have all the right in the multiverse to distrust me, but I don't know where I am, we don't know where we are, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life here."

Chandra narrows her eyes at me and grits her teeth, "Then why don't you just planeswalk away? We could both just planeswalk away and forget this ever happened, not that that isn't a reason to burn you to a crisp before I get out of here."

"We can't planeswalk Chandra, the rift closed behind us, the power of this plane is interrupting our sparks, and even if none of that was an issue, none of the other planes would even let us in, this plane has complete authority over us, and every other plane."

I slowly relax my stance as if I was backing away from a viper, leaving myself vulnerable.

"We're both trapped here Chandra, without our sparks to help, and no noticeable way out. As much as teamwork isn't either much of our thing, we're both trapped in an unknown, and incredibly powerful plane with no way out. So, as long as we're trapped here, I can't see any benefit in you killing me, or vice-versa."

Chandra stares into my eyes for a good half-minute, scanning me, and trying to read me while considering the options.

She slowly backs down, "I still don't trust you mind-mage... But... Gah, just don't piss me off and we'll get along fine."
I allow myself a small smile, "I know better than to provoke you."

"Hmph, good. Now, let's find a way out of this forest before I burn it down."

I nod, "I believe I saw the edge of the forest somewhere this way."
I point to the direction I briefly saw the edge from while I was falling.

"And how exactly do you know that?"

I look up to where I fell through the trees, "Let's just say I a habit of planeswalking really high up..."

It takes about a second for her to catch on, but when she does, she breaks out into hysterical laughter.
"HahaHA! Perhaps you should look into getting a pair of wings then!! HAHA!"

I roll my eyes, "The sooner we get out of this forest, the faster we can start searching for a way out of here."

After her laughter calming down a little she gives a groan, "Typical blue mage. All brain, no fun."

"I can have fun when I want to."

"Yeah right. Let's just get out of here."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone was gathered in front of the library, and I gave them a quick briefing.

"Listen up! Something, or somepony created a massive magical disturbance nearby, and not many ponies can stand channeling that much magic at once, and could be seriously hurt or injured, so we need to find them. I will track them by following magical residue, and we can treat them on-site if their hurt, or if we need to, get them to the hospital ASAP. Is everypony ready?"

There was a chorus of "Yeah!", and I gave a smile

"Alright! Let's go everypony!"

Author's Note:

This is a small project I'm working on in my spare time, and any advice as to how I can improve it would be greatly appreciated. Along with that, do tell if the story is even any good, that helps too :P