• Published 6th May 2013
  • 1,435 Views, 20 Comments

The Rider Of Darkness - GaleWind

  • ...
5
 20
 1,435

Scroll 8

Scroll 8

As soon as we were out into open waters, I gunned the boat to full throttle. The velocity of the boat and the force of the air pushed us back into our seats. I pulled the throttle back a bit and we were able to sit in the seats normally.

“I’ll say this about your sister’s company; they sure know how to make an engine.” Zepha said.

“I know and I’m impressed. The design for it was made so it can take in air to cool down the crystal and with my modifications, the crystals energy will last twice as long.” I explained. I added a conduit at the base, near the propeller. The conduit is a tube that draws in sea water that runs it up to the crystal, goes around it and heads back out the other end back into the ocean, effectively cooling it more.

When we were about twenty miles out at sea, we saw an Equestrian border patrol boat. I focused and cast the spell that caused the ponies on the patrol boat to see us as a mirage of the ocean. I saw them blink and rubbed their eyes as we moved past them. As soon as we were out of their line of sight, I dropped the spell and pushed the throttle and we were off.

“Are you sure will make in time, Echo?”

“Yes, we’ll make in time Zepha. I promise you I won’t let anything happened to your father. I always keep my word and I never go back on my promises.” I said with a fire burning in me. She saw this and gave me a tearful smile.

“Thank you.”


I stopped the boat briefly so that we could eat lunch. After that, I kept the boat gunned well into the night. Zepha fell asleep and was sleeping in one of seats with a blanket keeping her warm. Ever since I got the ‘Umbra Driver’, I’ve been more active at night. While steering the boat, I began to remember what I can about the griffon kingdom.

The entire kingdom is sets of mountain ranges with towns and cities carved or built in the mountains themselves. Also, there are patches of forests and grasslands where animals can be taken for food. The griffons are a military type of society. They are always prepared for war and always ready for battle. All the mountains converge to one mountain that stands above the rest, Mt. Tempest. There are different clans of griffons but, they all answer to the king or at least they did. The castle itself is carved halfway up the mountain with a seaport town at the bottom. That was our destination.

If we kept going at our current pace, we’ll reach the kingdom on the evening of the fifth day. I won’t allow those two to be executed by that monster. I can only hope that the rebels will allow us to help. I guess only time will tell.

It was noon on the fourth day when I switched places with Zepha so I could get some sleep. It was just turning night when I woke up and saw her nodding off.

“Get some rest, I take over.” I said. She gave a drowsy nod ant went to go to sleep.

“I took out a lettuce and tomato sandwich for you. You have to keep your strength up.” She said before going to sleep. I got it out and started eating while keeping my eyes focused ahead.

By the time it was morning, I had to cast the spell again because I caught sight of the griffon barricade in the distance. They were dressed in military garb with golden colored shoulder armor, chest plates, leg guards and armed rifles that use crystals for a power source and can shoot a blast of energy from them. I had to concentrate more on the spell because a griffon’s sight is five times greater than a pony.

We made it past them before they could get a close look. It was a couple of miles before we saw the griffon’s flag flying high in the distance.

“Zepha, are you okay?” I asked. I then heard soft and silent sobbing. I looked at my bed and saw her on my bed with her head hung low.

“Are you sure we can trust this rebel leader you keep talking about. I mean, what if he’s been captured?” Zepha asked with concern.

“Trust me, if I know Tyfin, he’ll be there. I just hope he can be able to allow the rebels to accept our help.”

“How do you even know this guy? I didn’t know you knew other griffons before you met me and my dad.”

“Let’s just say I met his sister and I helped him calm her down.” I explained.

When we made it to the shore line, the sun was already beginning to set. We got out and pulled the tarp over the boat to keep it covered. We both put on our cloaks so that no one could see our faces. There weren’t any griffons on the street because of the fighting.

“How are we going to find the rebels anyway?” She asked. I didn’t answer and kept walking. We went down two sets of stairs to what can be considered the slums. We walked down an alley and I stopped near a door. I knocked on the door three times with a pause between the second and third. A metal slot slid open on the door and gray eyes stared back at us.

“What do you want?” a gruff voice said. I reached into my cloak and pulled out a silver badge with an image depicting a griffon’s eye in the darkness. The eyes looked at it for second before closing the slot and the door open. When we stepped inside there was no one their but, there was an open hatch on the floor leading down.

“This doesn’t feel right. This could be a trap.” Zepha said. I looked back and gave her a reassuring look.

“Trust me. “ I said.


We went down the hatch and saw a ladder sticking out of the ground. We climbed down it and we were in what looked like an abandon sewer tunnel. We followed the tunnel until we came into an open area. Before I could say anything, something was pressed against the back of our heads.

“If you want to keep your heads, don’t move.” The same voice from the door said. From the shadows, five more griffons, dressed in black and yellow clothes, armed with crystal rifles surrounded us.

“Now, start walking.” The griffon said and we did so. They lead us into another open area where a total of fifteen griffons were staring at us. Two griffons were in the center of the room behind a round table with numerous pieces of paper on it.

The one on the right was male dressed in the same uniform but, in all black. He had a scar going down his right eye that blended in well with his dark blue and white feathers. This was Tyfin, the griffon we were looking for.

On his left was a female griffon dressed in an all yellow uniform. Her light purple feathers blending in with her white ones. On her face was that scowl I knew all too well. This was his sister, Gilda.

“What were you dweebs thinking bringing strangers here? You should have taken care of them.” Gilda said. I felt the one behind me, nudge my head a bit.

“This one here flashed the old king’s guard badge at me.” He said. Tyfin gave a confused look. I reached in my cloak and pulled out the badge. I tossed it to him and he caught it in his talon. He eyed it for a minute and the back to us.

“Why do you have this? What was your purpose of coming here?” He asked. I reached up to hood and slowly lowered it. All the griffons were shocked to see a pony here but, no more than Tyfin and Gilda.

“You owed me a favor. I’m here to collect on it.” I said. The whole room was silent until Tyfin spoke again.

“Watcher, lower your gun. Now.” He said. The one behind me, Watcher, was reluctant at first but, complied. Tyfin walked from around the table and stood in front of me.

“Echo, I didn’t think you still kept that thing or held on to that favor. You had to come the day before our biggest operation. Why are you here anyway?” He said.

“Sorry, something came up and we had to be here and I figured I could take down Maelstrom while I was at it.” I said. My statement earned laughter from the rebels and Gilda.

“You still got that same attitude, huh dweeb.”

“Nice to see you too, Gilda.” I replied. Tyfin than looked towards the figure next to me.

“I get why you’re here but, who’s this?” I looked at Zepha and nodded. She replied by lowering her hood, revealing herself to everyone.

“She’s the reason were here. Her name’s Zepha. Her father is Swift Talons.” I said. My statement earned wide eyes from some of the rebels.

“The daughter of the captain of the guard. Well this is a surprise. No wonder you got here when you did. However, before I even think about letting you two in on this, you’re going to have to tell me you can handle yourselves when it gets ugly.”

“Yeah, how can a pony hel-“ Watcher didn’t get a chance to finish when I flipped him over my shoulder and onto his back with a thud. When he opened his eyes he was staring at the barrel of his own pistol.

“Would you like to finish that sentence or have me and my friend proven our point that we can look after ourselves.” I said gesturing to Zepha who was behind her guard, had his arms behind his back and a knife to his throat. The whole room was stunned silent until Tyfin and Gilda Started laughing.

“You still know how to surprise us! I think my sides are breaking!!!” Gilda said while trying to breath. We released our ‘guards’ and I gave mine back his gun. Tyfin stopped laughing and patted me on the back.

“Okay, you both proved you can handle yourselves but, you may still need something.” He said while walking over to a chest in a corner. He opened it and pulled out two items. One was a gem pistol but, the other one was slightly bigger, more compact and had two grips. He gave Zepha the pistol and me the other weapon.

“She’s more compatible at close range so, that will work well with her. The one I gave you is something are guard came up with before this mess. It fires three short bursts of energy with each pull of the trigger. It’s called the gem tri-shooter.” He explained while I looked the weapon over. I don’t know why but, it felt right holding it.

“Alright, now knowing that’s been taken care of, you guys are now ready. Now, everyone gather around and we can finish the explanation for tomorrow.” He said. The rebels were a little reluctant about the new additions but, followed his instructions and we were all around the table.

“Okay, you all know that tomorrow at noon, the public execution of Iron Wing and Swift Talons will be held in the center of town. ‘Lord’ Maelstrom will be their personally to oversee it. This will be are only shot of saving them both and taking him down all in one swoop. My informant in the guard said there is going to be twenty guards there for his protection. We’re going to get in there before that happens. The only problem lies in the signal.” He said with a frown. That gave me an idea.

“I think I might be able to help with that.” I said. Everyone looked toward me with a confused expression.

“What are you getting at, Echo?”

“I can disrupt the execution and that will be your signal to attack.” I explained. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

“Echo, I know you’re stealthy and all but, how the hell are you going to even get close enough without being spotted.” Tyfin said and everyone else wanted to know as well.

I only gave them one answer.

“You be amazed by what I have accomplished since you’ve last seen me.”

After my statement, Tyfin reluctantly agreed and finish up explanation and told everyone to finish up preparing and get some rest. After a couple of minutes, the only ones left in the room were me, Zepha, Tyfin and Gilda.

“So, is everything still a mess over on your side?” Tyfin said, trying to start up a conversation.

“Yeah it is but, I have been causing quite the stir lately.” I told him. He nodded in agreement and I saw that Zepha had a sad expression on her face.

“Zepha, what’s wrong?” I asked out of concern. She looked at me with hints of tears in her eyes.

“Echo, please promise that you’ll save my father. He’s the only family I have.” She pleaded. What happened next is what some may call bold. I walked over to her, cupped her chin and raised it so our eyes met. After a second, I kissed her full on the beak. She was shocked at first but, eased into it. After a minute, we pulled apart.

“Zepha, I promise you that your dad’s safety is guaranteed.” I spoke with determination. She gave a small smile and left to get some sleep. I turned around and saw that the siblings jaws had dropped and their eyes wide like saucers.

“Say anything about this and I will barbecue your hides.”


Celestia’s sun had just reached its peak the next day. In the center of the seaside town, a small crowd started to gather to witness the execution. The bell tower in the center of the town had just rung. In the center, guards stood in front of a raised platform with a stone block and a black hooded griffon holding an axe. On the other side of the platform, two griffons in chains were being lead up to the block.

The griffon in back was slightly bigger than the one in front and dressed in green prison garbs. His feathers had a slight gray tint to them and a portion of his left wing was mechanical. His face was twisted in rage. This was the ‘former’ ruler, lord Iron Wing.

The one in front was in the same garbs and had a rust-colored red tint to his feathers. He looked a little malnourished and had grief written all over his face. This was Zepha’s father and former captain of the personal guard, Swift Talons. They were lead on to the platform and heard the sound of wings beating.

They looked up and saw a griffon clad in a blue cloak and the top half of his face was obscured by an iron mask. This was the current ruler, Maelstrom.

“We are here today to witness the execution of two embarrassments of the griffon kingdom.” He said in an arrogant voice.

“I’LL HAVE YOUR HEAD FOR THIS, YOU WASTE OF FEATHERS!!!” Iron Wing yelled in anger. Maelstrom only smirked at the act.

“Defiant to the very end. Don’t worry, you’ll have your turn soon enough. However, let’s deal with the captain first.” He proclaimed. Swift was pushed forward and forced on his knees.

“Swift Talons, you are here today on the counts of treasons against the Griffon Kingdom. The punishment is death by beheading. Do you have any final words?” Maelstrom said. Swift’s head was placed on the block but, he looked up and spoke with a voice laced with venom.

“I’ll see you in tartarus.”

Maelstrom smirked and gave the order to continue. Swift closed his and waited for the end. The executioner raised the axe and swung down.

‘CLANG’

Swift heard the noise of metal against metal and opened his eyes to see the axe stopped by… nothing. A strong gust of wind came out of nowhere, blew the guards and the executioner of the platform and the chains holding the two were sliced off.

“What is happening?!” Maelstrom yelled in confusion. His answer came when the wind next to Swift started to swirl.

“A famed poet once said ‘Ask not for whom the bell tolls.” The winds died down and I appeared in my ‘Kind Sky’ form. I looked up at the stunned ruler and finished the phrase.

.. It tolls for thee.'” As soon as I finished the phrase, there was an explosion and the crowd scattered. The rebels poured in from the alleyways lead by Tyfin and Gilda and the battle between them and the guards began. I got Swift and Lord Iron off the platform and into some cover.

“If you don’t want to get blasted, stay down.” I said before taking off into the air. Three of the guards were around him and ready to fire. I took out the tri-shooter and fired first. I nailed them in their wings and they yelled in pain as they fell to the ground. I drew my sword and clashed blades with Maelstrom.

“So, the little hero comes to dethrone the king. You’re out of your element, boy.” He said with a grin.

“We shall see, your lordship.” I said as we broke off. We kept clashing as we moved past each other but, between that and dodging stray energy blasts, it became dodgy.

However, when we past each other the last time, I thought it was the sound of the energy blasts going by but, every time I pass him, I heard… buzzing. We were hovering in the air facing each other when it dawned on me. It explained why the griffons haven’t notice it.

“So that’s it, huh. It’s time to shed some light on this.”

I held my sword in front of me and began chanting. The blade began to glow a green light and Maelstrom began to get nervous. I slashed the air in front of me and a streak of energy flew straight towards him. It turned and past right over his head. It may seem like I missed to the normal eye but, to my eyes, I had just cut something off.

“AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!” He yelled and held his head in agony. The sound of his yell caused the fighting down below to stop briefly and everyone to look up. Maelstrom was engulfed green flames and before any of the guards could fire; all the griffons were shocked at what appeared out of the flames.

In place of a griffon was a creature with black chitin like skin. His legs and hooves had holes in them. He had a dark blue mane and when he opened his eyes were red and his pupils were dilated. This was his true form, a changeling lieutenant. However, there was something missing.

His horn was gone.

“MY HORN!!! YOU CUT MY HORN OFF!!!” he yelled at me in agony and rage.

“I wouldn’t say completely. I just took off half.”

“I’LL KILL YOU!!!” He shouted as he sped towards. I dodged the reckless charge and countered by cutting of his right wing.

“AAAAHHHHHH!!!” He yelled as he tried to stay in the air. I pulled out the tri-shooter, pulled the handle and said something before I slammed it back in.

“You tried to rule through lies and deceit and caused harm to the innocent. Now, Prepare for your judgment.

“Kind Sky, Exceed!”

Wind began forming around the muzzle of my gun and I pointed it at him.

“May the Wind, Scatter this evil.” I pulled the trigger and a giant ball of energy came out. He yelled in pain when it made contact with him and dragged him down with it towards the ground. Everyone got out of the way when the two impacted the platform and it was destroyed, sending up dust and debris. When the cloud settled, everyone looked down the newly created crater and saw an unconscious and battered changeling.


At some point, we were able to clean up the mess even though it took some doing to get the rebels to cooperate with the guards but, an order from Iron was enough to get them to comply. As of right now, I’m in the throne room of lord Iron Wing. The castle was like Canterlot but, with a griffon theme. I stood in front of him with Tyfin and Gilda to the right of me. He came towards us, now in his royal suit.

“It appears the entire griffon kingdom is in your debt and so is my life. On behalf of the kingdom, we thank you.” He said. The two bowed and took the acceptance and then he looked towards me.

“I never thought I would live to see the day when a pony would be instrumental in saving the lord griffon’s life. Truthfully, I thought Celestia and Luna had just handed there kingdom over to those three.” He said. It took some time but, I managed to tell them what’s been happening. To say that he was amused would be an understatement.

“Huh, to let yourselves be fooled like that. I guess we may as well bale you lot out.” He said with some sarcasm.

“Lord Iron Wing, that would be a terrible right now.” I spoke out. All the griffons stared at me in shock for speaking against their lordship. Iron stood in front of me with a stare.

“Are you questioning my word?” he said while waiting for an answer.

“Quite the opposite, it’s just now is not the right time.” I said and his eyebrow rose.

“Explain.”

“As you know, everypony in Equestria, including the princesses, are under the spell they cast. So, if you attack now, you risk all-out war.”

“Go on.”

“I propose that you proclaim in the paper that you have been executed and the rebellion has been stopped. That way, the enemy will know that the Griffon Kingdom is in their grasp and when the time is right, I’ll let you know when you can come. After all, there’s no better surprise than when the enemy thinks you’re dead.” I explained to him. The entire room was silent and no one said a thing. The silence was broken when Iron Wing started to laugh uncontrollably. He stopped and looked me in the eye.

“I never thought a pony could think of such a plan. Very well, I’ll play your game. Now, I must see to the council to be aware of the plan.”

“One more thing, your lordship. If they were able to place a changeling here there could be others. Fortunately, after dealing with maelstrom, I thought ahead.” I said as I reached into my backpack and pulled out a few things. Two items were the same gem and parchment I gave Chief Thunderhooves. The other two was a green gem suspended inside of a sphere and a tablet.

“This parchment and gem will allow you to communicate with only me. The sphere is a device Equestria had developed after we first met the changelings. It detects their magic and pinpoints them but, only if they are close enough, which is why I suggest wearing his outfit to avoid suspicion. The tablet has runes carved on it. If you place them on your weapons they will be able to destroy their horn, even if their transform, and send out a signal so that their queen doesn’t even know they are captured.” I explained while handing him the objects.

“You are quiet the little tactician.”

“One must always make plans, even if they are hidden in shadows.”


“I can’t believe you were able to make that plan on the spot.” Tyfin said as were outside the castle.

“Believe me; you always have to think on the spot. I’m going to have to hang on to the weapon you gave me though.”

“You can keep it. I gotta feeling you need it more than I know.” He said and I couldn’t have agreed more. We heard wings flapping and saw Zepha and Swift Talons land in front of us. She ran towards me and brought me into a tight hug.

“I can’t thank you enough for saving my father.” She said through tears of happiness. Swift walked up with a smile.

“You’ve lived up to your promise and I can’t thank you enough for saving my life or protecting my daughter.” He said. I smiled but, before I could respond, a letter appeared above me and dropped on my head and land on the ground. This startled us as I picked it up. Attached to it was what looked like a… wedding invitation?

“Where did that come from and who’s getting married?” Zepha asked.

“I don’t know.” I replied as I opened the letter and silently read to myself.

Dear Echo Wave,

I hope this letter has reached because I have exciting news! I received a letter from Princess Celestia to call us back to Canterlot. When we arrived she told us that she was engaged and the best part is that Prince Chaon proposed a month ago. They are going to get married in a week and I hope you’ll make it in time for the wedding!

Love,
Twilight Sparkle