• Published 6th May 2013
  • 1,435 Views, 20 Comments

The Rider Of Darkness - GaleWind

  • ...
5
 20
 1,435

Section 2; Scroll 15

Section 2; Scroll 15

Braeburn stood up as he twirled the tomahawk in his right hand once and recoiled his rope with the other. The snake obsidian turned to face him and bared his fangs.

“You.” He hissed with venom.

Braeburn showed a smirk. “Nice to see you again, Rattle Vane. Ah see you’re causing trouble for my friends again.”

“I won’t be causing trouble when I ssskin you both alive.” Rattle Vane hissed as he tightened the grips of his swords.

“Wait a minute. Braeburn, you know him?!” I asked as I started to focus again.

“Yeah, you could say that. Ah’ll explain later after we deal with them.” He says.

“There will be no next time. Today, thisss endsss.” Rattle Vane speaks. He sprinted forward and lunged at him. Braeburn was quick and jumped out of the way just the sword came down.

“You may look like a snake, but you don’t move like one!” He proclaimed with his smile.

Rattle Vane hissed in rage and looked towards the remaining rezythe. “Don’t just stand there, help me!”

The last rezythe followed orders and rushed forward. I still had my blaster and raised it to shoot. Before I could, Braeburn smirked and someone beat me to it.

Quick as the eye, an arrow flew right past Braeburn and struck the rezythe in its left shoulder. It glanced at it but moved forward none the less. Two more arrows zipped by and struck the rezythe in the other shoulder and the head. It fell hard on its back before imploding into shards.

I squinted in the direction of where the arrows came from but I couldn't make out the figure.

Rattle Vane kept taking swipes at Braeburn. He saw another arrow heading towards him and struck it down before it reached him. He growled even more. “I grow tired of your harlot’s antics!” He screamed.

Braeburn growled and caught Rattle on the side of the face leaving a scar. “That’s no way to talk to a lady! Ah don’t take kindly to that.” He jumped back avoiding another swipe and pointed the tomahawk’s head at him.

“Also, I don’t think you should be looking away.” He added with a smirk.

Rattle Vane didn’t understand until his eyes widen in realization. He turned around and blocked my sword strike.

I attacked at him with repeated hits as he blocked them. I switched my sword stance in a backhand grip and struck diagonally. The slash went across his chest causing him to stumble.

Now’s my chance! I jumped back grabbed the Umbra’s handle pulled and slammed back in.

“Honor Ground, Exceed!”

“Braeburn, get out of the way!” He got the idea and moved behind the boulder. Dull orange energy gathered and formed into a drill shape in front of my blaster as I aimed.

“Let Resolute Honesty, Break through the darkness!” I pulled the trigger and a beam shot out, taking some of the ground with it. Rattle Vane tried to block but it broke through one of his swords and pierced through him. He groaned and fell face first and was consumed in an explosion.

I watched the explosion as Braeburn walked beside me. I turned to face him. “You sure know how to make an entrance.”

He gave a small chuckle. “Yeah, ah guess so.”

I smiled under my helmet. It was nice hearing him again. I looked back as the explosion died down. “At least Rattle Vane’s gone.”
Braeburn frowned a bit. “Ah wonder about that?”

“What do you mean?” I asked him. He didn’t answer and walked towards the epicenter of the explosion. He got to the middle and I think I heard him curse.

“Echo, ah think you should see this!” He shouted. I cocked my head and walked over to him. I got to where he was and pointed at his feet. I looked down and was confused.

“What the heck?” On the ground was what looked like dried up blue plastic. I knelt down and touched it. It felt almost like leather.

“What is this?” I asked. It almost looks like…

“It’s a snake’s skin.” I looked up at Braeburn as he clicked his tongue. “Must have shed it after the explosion.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“Just like a snake, he shed his skin to take off some of the damage. Look,” he pointed at the center of the skin where there was a good sized hole. “that’s where your gun hit him.”

“Wait, are you saying he survived that?!” I exclaimed.

“It wouldn’t be the first time” He muttered.

I looked back at the zergers they came on and walked over to them. Sure enough, one of them was gone.

“Damn it.” I silently cursed. I pressed the pad and the transformation canceled. I scratched my head as Braeburn walked up behind me.

“Must have snuck around us while we focused on the explosion.” He said.

I looked back at him. “By the way you two spoke, I'm guessing this isn't the first time you fought.”

“More than you may think.” A voice spoke out, this one feminine.

Braeburn smiled and looked behind to his left. I looked behind me and saw a figure approaching.

The figure turned out to be a female buffalo. She wore a sleeveless light brown tunic with small tassels along the edges and a v-shaped pattern on the front. There was a slit on the side that showed she wore knee-length shorts. The edges had the same purple and white pattern as her headband which two eagle feathers. She had a slight dark orange coat and a lighter mane.

She looked a lot better than a few months ago. Her clothes fit her nicely and she was healthy. Also, her reddish brown eyes showed her spirit, much like her smile.

I smiled back. “It’s nice to see you again, Little Strongheart.”

She gave me a small chuckle. “Yes, it is nice to see a friend and the one who saved us again.”

It was then I noticed the arrow quiver slung over her left shoulder and the bow in her right hand.

”You were the one who shot those arrows?” I exclaimed which caused her to blush a bit.

“Hehe, yeah she’s a heck of a shot, ain’t she?” Braeburn chuckled as he stood next to her.

“I’ll say.” I replied. I looked at the bikes before those two again. “How did you find me?”

“After you replied to our message, father gave the task of contacting you to Steelstrike.”

That’s right, Strongheart’s Chief Thunderhooves’ daughter. It was quite the interesting topic when the girls told me.

“Right after he left though, ah had this feeling in the back of my mind that something might happen. So, ah snuck out to follow him. Course, ah didn’t count on Little Strongheart to come with me.” He said as cast a glance at her.

“Well, I couldn’t just let you wander off by yourself. You would probably get lost out there if I didn't come.” She spoke with a faint blush.

He gave a faint smirk. “Right anyway, after some convincing she agreed to let me go if she came with me. We stayed a ways back so Steelstrike wouldn't see us.”

“We followed close enough so that we could see him in the distance. We heard the rumble of your machine and decided to wait for you both. That was the idea until, something flew past us.”

Braeburn gave a small laugh. “More like someone, ah swear ah never heard that calm Steelstrike yell like that before. He zoomed right past us screaming his head off on that bike of yours!”

“Oh yeah, right.” My ears lowered in embarrassment. “You guys can tell me about Rattle Vane later. We should probably head to the camp and make sure he’s alright.

“How are we going to get back? It’ll take too long to walk even with how close we are.” Braeburn said as he gave me my backpack he picked up.

I thought about how we get there when I glanced back at the remaining zergers. I looked back to him.

“You know how to ride one?” I gestured to the bikes.

Braeburn looked at the bikes for a second before looking at me. “No, but ah’m a fast learner.”


R-V Desert Facility…

Somewhere in the San Palomino Desert, lies a prison encampment. It took up 6,000 sq. feet of area with a flat-rectangular building situated in the back in front of a cliff face. Large stone walls enclosed the east and west sides with an iron gate to the north.

A circular guard tower was placed in the center of the grounds with a large circular top. Multiple rezythes patrolled from the walls, down below and the guard tower, both looking out for enemies and keeping an eye on the prisoners.

Multiple buffalo were pushing carts full of rocks, breaking the rocks and placing them into the carts regardless of age. Some were young enough to be just out of their teens while others were old enough to be elders. They wore their tattered clothes and worked in the blazing sun. Fixed around all their necks were black collars with small, round stones placed on the sides.

On top of the northern wall was a scorpion-like obsidian. He had a black exoskeleton and a pincer for a left hand. He had three red slits for eyes and yellow plates on his arms and legs.

He looked down at the prisoners and watched them work with a worried look. He was interrupted by a passing rezythe tapping his shoulder.

“What?” He growled. The soldier said nothing and pointed toward the desert. The obsidian looked outward and saw an approaching form. He had to focus before until he could make out the figure.

“Open the gates!”

The Iron Gate doors slowly opened inward. The buffalo looked in the shout’s direction wondering what was happening. The obsidian made his way down and waited at the gates.

Rattle Vane rode into the compound on the four- wheeler however, he had trouble steering due to his left hand being pressed against his chest where a jagged scar could be seen under it. He stopped once he got past the gates and breathed in hard.

The obsidian moved to him as he got off and kneeled.

“Commander Rattle Vane, are you okay?” He asked cautiously. The snake didn’t answer. “Command-“

He was caught off as Rattle Vane grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled himself up. When they were face-to-face, the snake obsidian’s eyes burned with rage.

“Lisssten to me, very carefully.” He hissed, fangs dripping with venom. “Put the buffalo back in their cellsss and make sssure they ssstay there.”

The scorpion blinked or what could be considered with his eyes. “But sir, your hurt and we just-“

“NOW SCORPHIN and if you question my orders again, YOU’LL END UP LIKE THAT FOOL OF A BROTHER!” Rattle Vane yelled in his face.

Scorphin only nodded in fear and confirmation. Rattle Vane only growled and shoved him out of the way as he stalked towards the building. He lowered his left hand from his chest, the damage was mostly gone but some remained along with a spiral scar with jagged edges on his chest.

Scorphin remained rooted in place still shaking. He got some strength back and turned.

“Uh, commander?”

Rattle Vane stopped and glanced back with slitted eyes. “What isss it?” He hissed with venom in his voice.

“Before you returned, someone arrived here for you.” Scorphin said.

“Throw him out; I don’t have time for guestsss.”

“Uh, I don’t think I can really do that?” He replied.

‘Damn coward.’ “Fine, I’ll talk to him. Just get the damn buffalo back in their cellsss!” He shouted as he stomped away. He made it to the doors of the building when he heard Scrophin giving the orders.

He pushed the doors opened and walked in. The east and west walls were lined with five cells that could hold 9 to 12 buffalo each with a skylight on the ceiling. He walked up a small flight of stairs to a square-windowed office.

He grabbed the door handle and pulled it open. The office space was sparse at best. Not much was there except for a wide desk, cabinets, a phone and a swivel chair pointed away from him. Rattle Vane growled as he closed the door behind him.

“I don’t have the time to be dealing with you stoogesss. Ssspeak your words or leave in two.” He growled as he motioned for his remaining sword on his back.

He heard a chuckle from the chair. “Now that is a rude way to greet a guest. And here I was just coming to visit.”

The chair slowly turned to face him and revealed its occupant. He was a tall figure wearing a black cloak that covered his whole body and a hood that hid his face.

Rattle Vane scoffed at the figure and lowered his arms. “Oh, it’s you. I wasn’t expecting you to ssshow up here.”

“Yes, I wanted to surprise you and see how things are progressing. However, judging by the giant scar on your chest, I take it you had another run in with your buffalo friends.” He spoke with a hint of delight.

A fist slammed into the desk that didn’t cause the figure to even jump. Rattle Vane leered at him with fangs showing.

“Don’t patronize me. You know damn well only one thing can do thisss kind of damage.”

The figure's face couldn't be seen, but his voice sounded mockingly sweet. “Ah, so our kamen rider friend has come out of hiding, has he?”

“You’re damn right he has! He’s helping those runaways and I was thisss close to finding where they’ve been hiding! Even closer to taking hisss head off!” He shouted until he grabbed his chest in pain and breathed heavily.

“I figured that he was still weak but appears he pushed your abilities to the limit this time.” He said as he got up from the chair.

“They’ll be coming here for them.” Rattle Vane said as he calmed his breathing.

“Yes, I kind of figured. Don’t worry; I’ve already contacted the castle when I got here and told Scorphin. Help should be here by the morning or at the earliest, tonight.” He said as he made his way to the door.

“Where are you going?” He hissed.

“My visit is done. What happens next is up to you.” The figure was half way out the door before he turned around one last time.

“Good luck.” The door closed.

Rattle Vane breathing steadied and he stood up and went to the door. He threw it open only to find no trace of the figure and most of the buffalo in their cells and Scorphin and a few rezythes ushering the last ones in.

“SCORPHIN!” The obsidian straightened and looked at the Rattle Vane. “PUT THE LAST BUFFALO IN THEIR CELLS AND PLACE THE REZYTHES ALONG THE WALLS! I WANT THIS PLACE ON LOCKDOWN, YOU HERE ME?!”

“YES, SIR!” Scorphin pushed the last buffalo in the cell and he and the rezythes exited through the doors leading outside. Rattle Vane growled one last time before going back into the office and slamming the door behind him.

There was nothing but silence from all the buffalo. They were all just wondering what had happened. One in particular gave it his utmost attention.

One buffalo stood up against the bars and stared at the office. He was well built and looked to be in his late 30’s. He wore a dark brown, long sleeved tunic and dark brown pants that fit his rusty-brown coat well. He had four-inch long horns that were partially covered by brown hair. His black eyes trained at the door.

There was another difference on his clothes. The edges of his clothes were blue with white diamond patterns. On the back of his shirt was an embroiled rain cloud.

“Chief Rainwalker.”

The chief turned around to the sound of the voice. A buffalo that looked to be just turning twenty in tattered clothes looked at him with worried eyes.

“What is happening?” The other buffalo in the cell looked at him for answers. The chief looked at all of them before speaking.

“I’m not sure.” He spoke in a caring voice. He turned back to the bars and looked up at the skylight.

“The wind carried the scent of change. But for what, only fate can decide.”


Vilotan Castle…

The castle was bustling with activity as its occupants were continuing their duties. However, two of these occupants were on their way to a new destination.

Firma and Reverb were making their way to a separate part of the castle. They were both geared up in their respective armors. Reverb had a worried look on his as he walked. He still remembered when they got the message.


Reverb was pushed back as he skidded across the training ground. He breathed heavily as he looked up at his opponent. Obsidian still looked calm and posed with sword leveled.

‘It’s been four hours since we started and I’ve only had one break! I’m about to pass out and he looks like he can go another four!’ He mentally shouted.

He took a couple of deep breathes before charging forward. He swung the left axe in a downward arc. Obsidian raised his blade and blocked it. The second axe came in from the side in his blind spot.

The general sensed it coming and stepped back to avoid the swipe while keeping the block. Reverb spun a bit and didn’t see the kick that connected with his head.

He stumbled back a bit but was able to get his bearing to avoid a sword swipe. However, he didn’t see the fist that followed that knocked him to the ground. He saw stars for a minute before seeing the tip of a blade in his face.

There was silence, no one moved until Obsidian relented and stepped away.

“That will be enough for today.” He said as he sheathed the sword and walked away.

Reverb’s arms remained limp on floor a he gave a tired sigh. He let go of one of the axes and closed the Severance driver, cancelling the transformation. He remained motionless on the ground as he breathed in and out heavily with eyes closed.

“At least… I made it… to… the end… this time.” He breathed out. He heard hoof steps and opened his eyes. Obsidian stood over him with arm extended and hand out. Reverb grasped it and was pulled up to his hooves.

He uttered a ‘thanks’ and was handed a bottle of water. Reverb uncapped it and gulped down half of it in a few swallows. He breathed a sigh of relief as he sat up on the floor.

“Now, you can explain why you were late getting here.” Obsidian spoke up.

Reverb looked up at him and sighed. “I was looking at old case reports that involve the kamen rider or any other disappearances.”

“Why were you doing that?”

“I was trying to find a pattern. Echo has never done anything without purpose.”

Obsidian looked at him before speaking again. “Most things in this world rarely do have one.”

“Maybe, but Echo’s not like that. I’ve known him long enough to understand that.” Reverb responded.

“And what do you believe is his?”

Reverb stared at him for a moment before looking at the ground. “I don’t know. I just wish I could at least talk to him.

“Well, it looks like you’re wish just got granted.”

The two looked to where the voice came from. Firma stood there in the door way to the training ground with arms crossed.

“What are you talking about?” Obsidian asked.

“You’ll never believe this, our wayward strategist just called.” He said with a smirk.

Reverb’s eyes widen a bit. “Really, we haven’t heard from him in a while.”

Obsidian however, narrowed his eyes. “What does he want?”

“He gave us an update. It seems a friend of ours has just been spotted.”

Reverb’s eyes shot up as he jumped to his hooves with full attention. “He saw Echo Wave?” He blurted out.

“Yup, up and kicking from the report he gave us.” Firma said.

“Where did he see him then?” He asked.

“It seems he’s been spotted in the San Palomino desert.” He responded.

Reverb had to blink at the location. “The desert, why would he be out there?”

Firma glanced at Obsidian for a minute before answering. “I don’t know but, there is a facility out that way. We use it for storage.”

“What do you store out there?” Reverb asked.

“Stuff for dismantling and safety. Some of the stuff is kind of, explosive if not handled carefully.” Firma replied.

“Anyway, the royalty gave the call, we are to deploy immediately and meet with the guard detail. The faster we get there, the better so, let’s get rolling.” He finished as he turned and walked out.

Reverb began walking towards the doors. He didn’t hear footsteps behind him and looked back to see Obsidian still standing in the same spot.

“Aren’t you coming?” He asked. Obsidian turned and walked the other way.

‘No’ was all he said as he was heading to the other doors.

Reverb was confused at the response but knew he couldn’t change Obsidian’s mind.

He sighed and turned to catch up with Firma. He was almost out the door until he thought he heard Obsidian’s voice.

“I don’t trust snakes.”


‘What did he mean by that?’ Reverb went over those words as he and Firma walked to the airfield. Firma looked over his shoulder and saw his expression.

“Ah, don’t worry about it kid. Obsidian and Zerak never did get along well.” He spoke. Obsidian looked up from his thoughts.

“Why is that, anyway?”

Firma shrugged his shoulders. “Judgment, morals, how they do things and a whole bunch of other stuff. I never got to into it really. They just don’t like each other.”

“How come the others never interact with us more, though?”

“They wanted to pursue other ‘interests’ in Equestria. Look, don’t think too hard about it. We got a long flight ahead of us so, try to stay positive.” Firma said as he continued forward.

Obsidian only nodded as they continued walking. They were down the hall from the entrance to the airfield were an airship will take them to the desert facility.

They were at the entrance when Reverb walked into something. He looked up and saw that Firma had stopped in front of him.

“Well, this trip might not been as boring as I first thought.” He quipped.

Reverb cocked an eyebrow and walked around to see what Firma was looking at. What he saw shocked him just as much when he heard the report.

“What are you doing here?!"