• Published 6th May 2013
  • 1,435 Views, 20 Comments

The Rider Of Darkness - GaleWind

  • ...
5
 20
 1,435

Section 2; Scroll 17

Section 2; Scroll 17

The two left the tepee soon after the decision was given. Soon, the only ones left were myself and the chief. He massaged his temples before giving a tired sigh.

“Forgive Flame Weed, my young friend. Out of all of us, she is the most temperamental due to these dark times.” He said.

“It’s okay. …I don’t mean to pry but, what happened to her?” I asked.

“We are not sure but, from what little she told us and from what I can assume, she and others tried to rescue her tribe and someone close to her fell in the process. I believe that’s how she was captured.” Chief Thunderhooves explained.

“Will she be okay?” I asked out of concern.

“Only time and care can heal her wounds.” He spoke with wisdom.

He slowly stood up and I just now realized how tall hew was, he stood a good foot and a half taller than me. He walked toward the entrance and motioned for me to follow. I got up and followed him out.

The guards gave a small bow to the chief as he passed them. We walked around the tepee and began a slow pace toward the very back of the cliff.

“Despite how things have turned out, I am grateful that you have come to help us.” He said.

“It’s the least I could do. I’m happy I could help.” I respond.

“You are admirable though I must admit. I half expected you not to come.” He said.

“Why would you say that?”

“With everything that has been happening across the land. I’d assume you would be far away or too engrossed by it to help us again.” He explained.

“I always help anyone if I can. Besides, I’m… not exactly in peak condition as of late.” I said.

Thunderhooves stopped walking and looked at me in concern. “What has happened?”

“…An old friend of mine is working with the enemy and I had to fight him. But I couldn’t do it and now, all of Equestria now know who I am.” I explained, eyes on the ground.

The chief looked at me for a long moment before speaking again. “This has harmed you more than just physically.”

I didn’t answer.

“You fight deceitful enemies, ones who use tricks and power. Your heart is burden by uncertain friendships and unfavorable odds. Also, an old bond hangs in the balance of either strengthening or severing.” The chief placed a hand on my shoulder as I looked up.

“You are still young yet you face things that even warriors of many battles haven’t faced. Now I ask this; can you still keep up the fight?” He asked me.

I looked at the chief for the longest time while searching for an answer. Could I really keep fighting? I know I said it once but, did I really meant it?

“I’m not sure but I know I have too because no one else will.” I responded.

Thunderhooves looked at me for a moment before responding.

“Your spirit is heavy let you continue onwards knowing the costs if you don’t. Self-sacrifice is a noble trait but do not forget others that share your burden.” He spoke, passing on some wisdom.

I took it gladly but deep down, it somewhat lessened the burden. We stood there in silence for a moment before I decided to change the subject.

“I talked with Steelstrike on the way here and got the gist on what you’ve been through.” I said.

“Then you should know of the position we find ourselves in at the moment.”

“Yes I do, I was going to ask more but, Rattle Vane saw fit to interrupt.”

“He does seem to enjoy causing strife to others. However, I’m glad the others were able to help you.”

“What do you mean?”

He gave a small chuckle. “Though I am a chief, I am also a father. I had a feeling Braeburn would leave to meet you and wherever he goes, my daughter is not far behind.”

I was stunned that he knew what happened. “So you knew Steelstrike was covering for them.”

“He has probably already given a lecture on the matter to them so I will not try to push it. However, I will need to have a chat with Braeburn. He is trustworthy but when it concerns my daughter, we need to talk.” He said in a half-serious, half-jovial tone.

‘Never underestimate a chief, especially when he’s the father of the girl you like.’ “Well anyway, he told me about how many you saved so far but, he said the last one was special.”

The smile disappeared from his face and was replaced with a somber expression. “She is.”

“He didn’t tell me who she was, he said you could explain.” I said.

He was quiet for a moment, gathering his thoughts. “…It would be better if I just showed you.”

We resumed walking but we didn’t go far. A few feet and we were in front of another tepee. He lifted the flap and gestured for me to enter. I hesitated a bit before stepping inside.

The inside of it was somewhat bare, not much decoration save for a few patchwork art. There was a makeshift bed near the back however, my attention was toward the occupant.

Underneath a few blankets was a female buffalo. She had a dark brown, almost black coat with light brown hair done in a long braid. She was sleeping but, there was something else about her.

She was pregnant, very pregnant.

“Her name is Gentle wind.” I looked over my shoulder to see Chief Thunderhooves behind me. “She fell asleep before you arrived.”

“Who is she?” I asked, keeping my voice down.

“She is the wife of another tribe’s chief, we believe that he is being held captive in the nearby facility.” He said.

‘So that’s why they can’t delay.’ I thought as I looked at the sleeping chieftess.

“There is one other thing.” He said. I looked at him as he paused for a minute. “The chief’s name is Rainwalker and… he is my younger brother.”

My eyes widen when he said the word ‘brother’ and I looked at him in shock. I slowly turned my head and looked at the sleeping chieftess. There is no way the implications could be this messed up.

I swallowed hard before speaking again. “…How far along is she?”

“The last I saw her, she was just starting to show. It could be any day now, and I wish the first thing the child sees are both parents.” He said as he looked at sleeping, soon-to-be mother.

I bit my lower lip hard but not enough to draw blood. “Chief, I know time is crucial but please, let me come up with a safer plan.”

He turned his head slightly to glance at me. “Myself and the tribe are in your debt for saving us however this is something we cannot delay. Also, if Rattle Vane is involved, than time is surely not on our side.”

“I understand but, please give me time. If I don’t have anything by sunset, then I’ll do everything I can to help get them out.”

Thunderhooves looked at me not saying anything. “…Very well but no more, I appreciate your help and hope that you succeed.”

We left the tent and went our separate ways. I walked back to the camp and wondered about trying to think up a plan.


I was sitting on a ledge outside of the camp, overlooking the small lake in the desert. It’s been like, two hours since I talked to the chief I haven’t come up with anything.

At this rate it’s going to be their original plan and I don’t know if it’ll work and if it doesn’t, I don’t want to think about it.

“This is a mess.” I sighed, my head in my hands.

“If it was easy, we wouldn’t be dealing with this.” I looked behind me and saw Braeburn climbing up the ledge.

“Where’s Little Strongheart?”

“Looking after her aunt. Woke up a while ago and is helping her around.” He said as he sat next to me and swung his legs over the edge.

“The chief told us, you’re out here thinking on a new plan aren’t you?” He said.

“Yeah.”

“Any luck?”

“No.” I sighed as I sat up a little. “I got to find out how to get them out but first, I need a way to get in.”

We sat in silence as we looked at the lake. “Echo, do you think you can answer something for me?”

“Sure, what is it?” I asked.

“I know you’re busy with this but, do you think you can tell me what’s happening back home. I just want to know if the others are okay” He asked.

I figured he was going to ask sooner or later. Honestly, I was hoping to avoid it until this situation was over.

I let out a tired sigh. “The girls are okay, everyponies safe.”

He looked at me for a moment. “Ah’m thankful and happy they’re safe but, there’s more to the story, isn’t it?”

I gave another sigh. “That’s another and even longer story.”

“If you got the time, so do ah.” He spoke.

“…Alright, I might as well start off when we last met.” I said as I began.

He gave his undivided attention as I began to tell him everything that’s been going on back home since we last met. Every detail, every encounter, and every battle I told. I was vague with some details and full honest with others.

He stayed quiet throughout the whole thing. He tried to keep a straight face but his eyes betrayed him. They showed the emotions he wanted to act on but kept in checked. He stayed like this until the very end.

“…and so after healing up at Zecora’s, I left Shadow to guard her, got on my bike and came this way. I made it here and waited for the scout. Then, well you know the rest.” I said, finishing my tale.

Silence came from both of us. For the longest time, Braeburn didn’t say anything. He just sat there, looking down at the lake. He finally spoke since I started my story.

“…Ah didn’t think things were that bad.” He said.

“They are, well, for me at least.” I said.

“So, the girls finally know?”

“Yeah but, not the way I wanted them too.” I responded. I looked back at the lake and closed my eyes.

“You can come out know, story’s over.” I spoke out. Braeburn was confused until he heard something behind us. He looked around and saw Little Strongheart pulling herself up on the ledge.

“How did you know she was there?” He asked.

“I heard her coming about halfway through the story.”

“I didn’t mean to interrupt.” She said as she sat down behind us. I noticed there was a hint of sadness in her voice.

“No, it’s alright.” I said turning around to look at her. I noticed that there were the smallest hint of tears in her eyes. “I didn’t think the story was that sad?”

“Forgive my tears, “She said. “I was listening and couldn’t believe what you went through.”

“Neither can I.”

“Does your friend know what he’s doing?” Braeburn asked.

“By the way he fought, I think so. But I’m more worried about where he got that tool.” I said, thinking back to Reverb’s transformation.

“You have no idea on where he got it?” He asked.

“Not one, but that’s a mystery for another day.” I said. “Right now, I need to come up with a plan and by how low the sun is, I don’t have much time left.”

It was true, I had glanced at it after finishing the story and it lowered significantly. I’d wager I had close to an hour left to go.

“You do not need to push yourself so hard.” Little Strongheart said.

“I do when circumstances are like this.” I said.

“Well maybe we can help you.” Braeburn said.

“Look, I appreciate it but-”

“But nothing! We’re a part of this and you need help. Besides, we’re your friends.” He said.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and look to my left to see Little Strongheart.

“He’s right, we’re your friends Echo and that means we’re always here to help.” She said with a smile.

I turned back and looked at the lake. Even with that’s going on, they were right. Friends are there to help.

‘Self-sacrifice is a noble trait but do not forget others that share your burden.’

The chief’s earlier words came up. He was right, I’m not the only one out here fighting for what’s right.

I let out a tired sigh and looked up. “Alright, you can help. Thanks guys, really.”

Braeburn slapped my back as he gave a grin. “Don’t mention it.”

Strongheart also offered a smile. “Now, what is the problem?”

Another sigh escaped. “The main problem is getting in. I thought of a diversion but I’m drawing a blank.”

“Can’t we just go over the walls?” He said.

“No can do, I got the specs from Steelstrike.” I began. “According to him, the walls are a good 15ft tall. It’ll take too long to climb over.”

“And they will be upon us before we have a chance to climb.” She added.

“Well then, maybe we do it tonight. Use it as cover.”

“I thought about that too. But they probably might expect a night rescue and I doubt they need much sleep. They'll spot us then too."

Strongheart was deep in thought as she tried to think of an idea. “What if we were to come down from the cliff behind them?”

“Yeah, we could come down right on top of them!” He encouraged.

“That may seem like a good idea but we’d be too out in the open. Not to mention how long it would take to climb up the cliff to repel down it.” I said, shooting down another idea.

We sat there in silence as each of our ideas were shot down, one after the other.

“Dah, this is harder than ah thought.” Braeburn exclaimed.

“Welcome to my world.” I muttered.

Strongheart looked up at the sky. “We are running out of time.”

The sun had continued to lower as we thought of ideas. Time was not on our side.

“Isn’t there anyway to get in there?!” He almost shouted.

“It would seem that the only option is the original one.” She sadly came to the conclusion.

This isn’t good. There’s no time left, none of our plans will work and if they use their plan, everyone could be charging into a trap.

‘There’s got to be a way.’ I thought, teeth clenched in frustration.

“Ugh, if we had shovels, we could dig our way in.” Braeburn said.

“Braeburn, try to be serious!” Strongheart snapped.

“Ah am, its just that there’s no time left and we still don’t have anything!” He exclaimed in frustration.

“I know but being agitated will not help us. We must be calm and the answer will find us.” She said trying to calm him.

“Yeah, yeah ah know. Ah’m just so-” One look from Strongheart was enough to stop him. He let out a frustrated sigh. “Okay. Ah get it.”

“Thank you.” She said with a smile.

“Yeah, but we still have no idea on getting in or the captives out. Any ideas Echo?” He asked.

No response.

“Echo?” Breaburn asked, turning to me.

Strongheart looked at me also. I had been staring at the lake, eyes wide with in shock.

‘Dig. …That’s it!”

“Braeburn, you’re a genius!” I shouted, shooting to my hooves.

“He is?”

“Ah am?”

“Yes, that’s how we rescue them!” I exclaimed. I spun around, jumped down and ran straight for the camp.

Braeburn and Strongheart didn’t budge for a second before jumping down and running after me.

“Echo, wait! What do you mean by ‘that’?!” He shouted.

“Yes, how will it rescue them?!” She added shouting.

“Trust me, I’ll explain everything!” I called back.

This just might work.


Desert facility…

The moon was high in the sky as all was quiet. There was no activity down below except for the patrolling rezythes on the walls. The VMS Falcon was stationed a few feet away to the right of the facility.

“Thank you again for responding to our call.” A blue coated, red mane stallion said.

After landing an hour ago, Firma and Reverb disembarked to meet with head of security. Firma told the others to stay aboard for their safety.
They had met with the security head, Iron Guard, and got the details from him.

Currently, they were all situated on the airships’ common/meeting area. Twilight and the others were off to the side on a couch while Reverb, Firma and Iron Guard were seated in the middle.

“Think nothing of it. We came as soon as we heard.” Firma said.

“You said that the kamen rider might be coming here. Why?” Reverb said.

“As you know, this is a storage facility.” Iron explained. “It was built out here to house experimental and dangerous devices. I can only suspect that he’s coming here to claim them.”

Reverb licked his lips. “And you’re sure it’s him?”

“Yes. I sent out a few of my guards on scouting just in case he might come here. One made it back, thanks to your fellow general. He was injured but he told me all I needed know.”

“How could Echo know that there was a storage facility out here?” Twilight spoke out.

“We don’t know how he learned of it. All that matters is that he’s here.” Iron said.

“Do you have any idea of what he maybe after in there?” She asked.

“I can’t discuss the contents.” He said, irritated at the questions.

“Girls, you promised you wouldn’t get in the way.” Firma said.

“We’re sorry, we’re only trying to help.” Twilight said, which the others agreed.

“I know but, this is a delicate matter.” He said.

“We only want to know why Echo would be out here.” Applejack said.

Iron Guard’s eye twitched at the accent. He turned and glared at the mare. “I’m sorry Ms. Apple but that information is classified. I can’t discuss it and I suggest you accept it.”

Applejack flinched at the tone the guard’s voice carried, as did the others.

Sensing the hostility, Firma intervened. “It’s getting late, why don’t we call it a night. Reverb, could you take the others to their rooms.”

Reverb blinked before agreeing. He ushered the others out the room but noticed that Iron’s glare hadn’t left them, especially Applejack. Once the door closed, only he and Firma remained.

“I dessspise these damn ponies.” Iron hissed.

“Settle down, Rattle Vane. No one likes a sour puss.” Firma joked.

“I can’t believe you brought them here. I don’t have the patience to play babysssiter.” Iron Guard/Rattle Vane angrily said.

Firma raised an eyebrow. “Ain’t my fault, orders came from the top. Besides, you better remember who you’re talking too.”

Rattle Vane tongue clicked as he looked away. Firma rolled his eyes at the act.

“He’s coming here for the prisssoners. I ssswear, these damn buffalo have been a thorn in my ssside long enough.” He hissed.

“Relax, from what you said, it sounds like he ain’t a hundred percent healed, that gives us an edge. Have Scorphin inside with a couple rezythes to guard them.”

“And what about the other buffalo? They can defeat the soldiers with little problem.”

Firma thought for a minute before smiling. “Don’t you worry, I have surprise for them.” He stood up and walked towards the door. “Reverb’s going to be with you in the guard tower.”

“And where will you be?” Rattle Vane said.

Firma stopped and smiled over his soldier. “That would ruin the surprise.”


Buffalo Camp…

I sat in the middle of the camp, everyone was asleep save for a few that were preparing for tomorrow. The small flame from a fire pit illuminated a small area around me. However, my attention was elsewhere.

Ever since the fight with Rattle Vane, I wondered why the honesty gem and equipment lost their color. I didn’t have time earlier to check but now that I do, it was worse than I thought.

It wasn’t just that one, several others had lost their color and luster. It was like they …lost most of their power but that couldn’t be possible. Before I could think about, I heard something. I looked behind to see Braeburn walking towards me.

“Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, Flame Weed and Steelstrike are watching things for me.” He said.

I still remembered the fiery buffalos’ anger from earlier. “Are you sure it’s alright to leave those two together?”

He gave a small chuckle. “Don’t worry, Steelstrike found a way to keep her temper in check, somewhat.”

I had noticed that he seemed nervous. “Braeburn, what’s wrong?”

He rubbed his left arm as he shifted from one hoof to the other. “It’s just that… are you sure about all this?”

I thought this would come up. Frankly, I had my own doubts too but this was our best bet.

“Honestly …no I’m not. But this is our only chance at this even working, so you’ll have to trust me.” I explained.

Braeburn closed his eyes and released a long sigh. “Alright, ah trust you.” He looked at me again. “What are you doing anyway?”

I let out my own sigh as I looked back at my hands. “Trying to solve another problem.”

He walked up and looked over my shoulders. “What happened to them?”

“Remember early when it looked like my gauntlets looked different.”

“Ah thought something was off. They looked dull.” He said.

“Well I decided to check the others and it was the same problem. Nearly all of them have lost their color, look.” I said as I showed my right hand.

He looked at it. In the palm were differently shaped gems but they all were a dull grey.

“They look like they’re out of power.” He said.

“I know but that shouldn’t be possible.” I said.

“How come?”

“They’re connected to the Elements of Harmony. Those things have unlimited power, as far as I know. So they can’t lose energy.” I explained.

Braeburn squinted his eyes at the gems, deep in thought. He glanced at my left hand. “So how come they look fine?”

I looked at my left hand. In the palm were the only gems not affected: sound, laughter, kindness, moon and sun.

“I can’t explain it. The sound gem is connected to me. I don’t know about laughter or kindness but the other two are connected to the sun and moon.” I said.

I couldn’t explain it, none of it made sense. How come only these five were unaffected but the others were fine. It just didn’t add up! I was so lost in thought I almost didn’t hear Braeburn speak.

“Couldn’t they be the same?”

I blinked and looked up at him. “What?”

“You said that one” he pointed at the oval gem. “, was connected to you, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, couldn’t the others be connected to the girls?” He said.

I shook my head. “No, no that’s not right. They’re connected to the Elements of Harmony, I explained that.”

“Ah know, but aren’t the Elements connected to the girls.”

I blinked as he said that. I had never thought about it like that. I mean, if you thought about it like that, it made sense. The girls practically embodied the elements. Also, the same could be said about the princesses. All of it floated about until it all clicked.

“Oh my faust” I groaned as my face fell into my closed hands. “, that’s it.”

“What is?” He asked.

“That could be how the gems work; through their owners!” I saw the confusion. “Just follow me on this. What if the gems were connected to the ponies they represent, like the crescent gem representing Princess Luna?”

“That would explain why their cutie marks show up on you, but what about them losing power?”

“That part I’m still at a lost. I just can’t figure out.” I said.

“Don’t worry about it, I’m sure you’ll work around it.” Braebrun said as he patted me on the shoulder. Moments before I released a long yawn. ”You should probably get some sleep.”

“It’s okay, I’m a night pony anyway.” I tried to explain.

“Okay nothing! You need as much rest as you can get. You’re pushing yourself too hard and you need to slow down before you collapse.” He sternly said.

I tried to protest but the glare he gave laid to rest any arguments I had. I gave a tired sigh as I stood up.

“Alright, I get some sleep after I check o-“

“No, I’m heading back to check on things. You’ve done everything you could, let us handle the rest.” He spoke.

I blinked at the tone his voice and gave a small chuckle. “You sound more like a soldier than a farmer.”

He gave a chuckle of his own. “Yeah, well, a pony’s got a do what he knows seems right. Goodnight Echo.”

“Goodnight Braeburn.” I replied as he turned and walked away. I stood there for a minute before returning my attention to the gems in my hands.

I glanced up and looked into the small fire. Tomorrow is going to be hectic. I gave a small prayer as I placed the gems in my pouch, picked up a nearby bucket and doused the flames. The smoke lifting up to air towards the moon.


The sun was slowly rising into the sky, only a few hours after dawn. Down below, the facility was in full blown activity. The disguised rezythes lined the top of the walls, looking towards the desert.

Inside the guard tower Reverb, Iron Guard and a couple of guards looked out the windows that was high enough to look over the walls. Ever since last night, the DJ turned soldier was both anxious and worried to see his friend and the battle to come.

“Are you sure we need this many guards for one pony?” He asked worriedly.

“You know what he’s capable of. We take no chances here.” Iron Guard said, not taking his eyes away from the window and gripping the hilt of a sword at his side.

Reverb frowned and glanced back at the building. ‘What could be so important in there that Echo would want?’

“Sir” A guard’s voice brought him out of his thoughts. “, something’s coming.”

Iron Guard looked at Reverb. “Suit up.”

Reverb gave a sigh before nodding.

“Henshin.”

The sound of clashing swords followed as diamonds materialized and his armor appeared. Once the transformation was done, he walked up to where Iron was.

“Where did you see it?” He asked. The guard gave him a pair of binoculars and pointed straight ahead. He raised the binoculars and looked in the direction.

“Do you see anything?” Reverb asked.

Flame didn’t speak for a minute. “…It’s one of our missing zergers.”

“Is Echo driving it?”

“Unless he’s invisible, I don’t think so.”

“What do you mean?”

Iron lowered the binoculars. “No one’s driving it.”

Back on the airship, the girls and Spike were currently back in the common room. They had been told not to leave the ship until the issue was settled. As of now, Rainbow was leaning against the railings outside while the rest were inside.

“Ugh, can’t believe we have to stay in here away from the action.” Rainbow said, loud enough for the others to here.

“We promised Reverb and Firma we wouldn’t interfere.” Twilight said from the couch. Rainbow gave a muttered ‘yay,yay’ in reply.

Twilight shook her head and looked down. Spike was sitting next to her looking around nervously.

“Spike, are you okay?” She asked softly.

Her voice spooked the young dragon for a second before looking up to her eyes. “Huh, oh yeah I’m fine.”

“Positive?” She asked. He nodded and looked back down. She was starting to get worried. When Spike first told her about his nervousness around the Vilotans, she had chalked it up as him being paranoid but now, it’s been getting worse.

“Ah just don’t get it?” Twilight looked to where Applejack’s voice came from. She was at the other side of the room talking to Rarity. Pinkie and Fluttershy were a couple feet away listening.

“Darling, I know he seemed offensive last night but it was probably stress.” Rarity said. The cowpony shook her head.

“What’s wrong?” The two looked to the voice’s owner to see Twilight walking towards them.

“Applejack was telling me about her suspicion towards Iron Guard.” Rarity said.

Twilight raised her eyebrow and looked at Applejack. “What are you suspicious about?”

“It’s nothing it’s just...something don’t seem right with that guy.” She said.

“How do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“Well-"

“What’s that?” Shouted Rainbow, her voice loud enough for the others.

Twilight and the others heard her and came outside to see what was wrong.

“Is something wrong?” Twilight asked. Rainbow pointed and the others followed the direction. A small, moving object was heading towards the facility.

“What is that?” Rainbow repeated, squinting to see the object.

“I don’t know.” Twilight said. “I can’t tell from here.”

“Whatever it is, it’s moving fast.” Applejack said. The object was closing in on the gates.

Spike caught a glimpse of something reflective from the object. “I think it’s one of those gem-powered bikes.”

The zerger was not slowing down as it near the gates. As soon as it was close.

‘BOOM!!!’

The self-moving zerger detonated when it connected with the gates. The explosion rattled the surrounding area sending those standing to the ground. The patrolling guards were either knocked down, thrown off the wall or caught in the blast.

The group in the tower had taken more of a hit. The glass windows were blown in from the resulting pressure of the blast.

The girls and Spike were taken back by the sudden explosion that they held onto the railing for balance.

“What’s happening?!” Rainbow shouted. The others were trying to recover, some better than others, Fluttershy was shaking and clung to the railing for dear life.

They looked at the damage as the smoke cleared. The gates were completely destroyed, a sizeable hole was created.

The group stared in shock but it was short lived. Not a moment later, more noises could be heard in the direction the zerger came from.

“Are more of them coming?!” Rarity shouted. However, what came over the sand dune shocked them.

Two zergers came over it, one had a masked figure and the other carried two occupants. But what truly left them in confused shock were armed buffalo following them.

In the guard tower, Reverb was shocked at not just the destroyed gate but also at what was coming towards them. The other guards had already left to confront the attackers.

“What are the buffalo doing here?” He asked himself, dumbfounded.

“Isn’t it obvious?” He looked to see Iron Guard standing to his right, eyes narrowed and sword in hand. “They allied themselves with him.”

“But why? What could they possibly get out of this?!” He confusingly asked him. Iron didn’t and turned towards the stairs.

“Doesn’t matter, they are aiding a wanted fugitive. So they must be dealt with.” He said as he got to the stairs.

“Wait, what do you mean ‘dealt with’?” Reverb asked him.

Iron stopped and glared at him. “You’re not here to ask questions. You’re here to help keep them out. Ssso move it.”

Reverb watched as Iron disappeared down the stairs. He didn’t think anypony could have that much venom in their voice. He could already hear the sound of fighting going on outside and could tell something was wrong. But the answer eluded him even now.

Inside the building, the buffalo prisoners were shocked by the explosion and could hear the sound of battle. At first they were confused until they heard the war cries of tribal warriors.

“Don’t get your hopes up.” A voice said. Scorphin and a few rezythes stood guard near the double doors leading outside. “Your friends will be joining you soon. The lucky ones at least.”

“Then why do you speak with uncertainty.” Rainwalker spoke. Scorphin glared at the chief that stood against the bars of his cell.

“The voice is our spirit’s way of talking. It tells others of what we truly feel. And despite whatever you may be, we all carry a spirit, even you.” He continued. As he talked, Scorphin stomped over until he stood in front of the cell.

“Yours tells of the uncertainty it has for your life.” He finished.

The scorpion obsidian glared at the chief. He reached behind his back and pulled out what looked like a small cyndrical device with a diamond shaped gem imbedded at the end. He raised and pointed at the chief.

The gem glowed and the gems on the chief’s collar glowed as well. Rainwalker yelled in pain as electrical charges surged through his body.
The others moved back from shock and fear. The glow stopped and he fell to his knees. Scorphin looked down at him.

“If I were you, I be more concerned about your own.” He stated. The chief’s cellmates helped him to his hooves as Scorphin turned and walked backed to the doors.

Unbeknownst to them all, a small hole began to form in the middle of the building.


Third Person:

Though the fight had just begun, based on the scene, one would guess it began an hour ago. Though taken back by the surprise attack, the mindless rezythes advanced forward. The buffalo charged forward to meet them, war paint dawned their faces and courage ran through them as the two collided.

Weapon met weapon as the two fought each other. Led by Little Strongheart, the archers picked targets off from a distance and at those still stationed on the wall before they could fire as well.

Rattle Vane moved, dodged and attacked like the deadliest snake. Two buffalo charged him, axes drawn. He dodged the first and ducked the second before sweeping the hooves off from under him, sending him down. He rose with an upward slash that sliced the arm of his first attacker, causing him to drop his weapon in pain only to be knocked down by a high kick. The second looked to see a sword in his face. Before he finished them Rattle Vane blocked an arrow meant for his head and growled in rage. Another kick knocked the buffalo out before he moved on.

Bear Claw and Flame Weed both showed their battle prowess. Whereas one was a calm, collected warrior, the other was a rage fuelled, forward attacker. While he used his shield to block attacks, defend downed warriors and axe to strike enemies he knocked down in perfect balance. She leapt into the fray with spear in hand, slashing and skewering those that dared stood in her way.

In the heart of the battlefield, a masked warrior fought his way through the enemies that charged him. One rezythe struck with a sword only to be met with a shield that sent him back via a sound pulse. He was cut down by sword through gut. Multiple rezythes surrounded him before he spun in a circle striking them all at once before a return swing brought them down. The warrior breathed hard and was about to move before a voice stopped him. A familiar voice.

“Guess I don’t have to worry about you being hurt anymore.”

First Person:

I looked up and saw the last person I needed to see. Reverb stood a few yards in front of me in his armor. Time seemed to stand still as we looked at each other. The battle going on didn’t faze us.

“Not fully but, I manage.” I said, shrugging my shielded left arm.

He nodded as we continued to stare at each other. I glanced at him gripping his axes.

“How did you get the buffalo to help you with this?” He asked, glancing at one lunging at a rezythe with a spear.

“Something important to them are in that building, I’m here to help.”

“What could they possibly want with a storage facility?”

‘Storage? Heh, that’s one way of putting it.’ My head tilted to the right. “Is that what they told you? Do you really believe they need this much force for storage?”

He looked down at the ground and his grip lightened. “I don’t want to fight you, Reverb.”

“Then why are you doing this?” He asked.

“It’s because I have to, this is bigger than both of us.”

“Then come in and explain it. Let me help you.” He pleaded.

‘If only I could.’ “I can’t do that?”

Reverb head dipped before looking at me and raising his axes. “Then I can’t let you pass.”

Painful as it is, I raised my sword at him. “I know.”

We stared at each other, weapons up, not moving an inch. A second went pass, then we rushed each. Our weapons clashed and time sped up to normal, the battle still in full swing.

He brought his left axe down for an over-head swing. I blocked it with my shield and it bounced back. I pushed back the other one and swung from the side. He jumped back and pivoted with a roundhouse. I back flipped, landed on my fists and sprung back. He blocked my hooves hitting his chest with his arms but it did push him back a bit so that I could land back on them. I looked to see Reverb getting his bearings back.

‘Where in equestria did he learn to fight like this?’ That question would have to wait as we charged again.

On board the airship parked away, another scene was playing out. Twilight and the others had a front row seat as they watch battle increased as vilotan and buffalo fought.

“Th-this doesn’t make sense? Why are the buffalo here?!” Twilight exclaimed, frantically looking back and forth between the two forces.

“Not for a party.” Pinkie whispered as she tried to calm a scared Fluttershy from the horrible battle.

“This is absolutely horrid!” Rarity said as she looked away from the fighting.

“This is not cool.” Rainbow exclaimed before looking right and noticing something else.

“Where’s Applejack?”

The others looked at her before realizing it. Their cowpony friend was missing. They were both confused and worried as they looked for her inside the airship. Fluttershy was about to follow them when she glanced back.

“Applejack!!!” She shrieked.

The others ran back to her to find out what was wrong. She pointed at the ground and saw the cause. Applejack was running right towards the heart of the fighting.

“Where is she going?!” Rarity shouted. They looked and followed where she was heading. She was running towards one of the fighters.

“Is that?”


Braeburn was busy dealing with a rezythe that was swinging a sword at him. When the sword came again, he caught it in the crook of his tomahawk and used the other to slice the hand off. A second swipe brought the rezythe down as he breathed hard in exhaustion after fighting for this long.

“Landsakes, could this get any more complicated.” He muttered in frustration. The universe must have a cruel sense of humor.

“What in Equestria is going on?!”

Despite the battle, his eyes widen at the sound of the voice. “Oh horseapples.”

He spun around only to meet the hardened gaze of his cousin. Applejack stood a few feet glaring at him, no even acknowledging the battle happening around them.

“AJ! What are you doing here?!” He yelled in confusion.

“Ah should be asking you! What in sam hell are you doing out here?!” She shouted at him.

“AJ, this isn’t the time or place for this! Get out of here!” He shouted, trying to get her to leave.

“Ah’m not moving until you tell me what’s going on!” She exclaimed, stomping her hoof.

Braeburn’s mind was starting to race, he needed to get Applejack out of here but here stubbornness was making it difficult. He was about to argue again when caught a shadow began to grow around her. He looked up and saw what it was.

Without thinking, he rushed over and tackled her out of the way and to the ground.

“Braeburn! Are you cra-” She was caught off from her rant when a boulder crashed right where she was standing.

Both our weapons had clashed again and we struggled to get one over the other. I noticed that it got darker and looked up to see something coming.

“Watch it!” I pushed him away and jumped back as a boulder crashed between us.

“Where’d that come from?!” Reverb shouted. I looked up and saw more coming.

“Worry about the rest of them!” I exclaimed as I avoided another one.

Multiple boulders began raining down on the battle. The combatants scattered to avoid being crushed. Some weren’t as lucky as they were injured.

I noticed that they were all coming from the cliff behind the facility. I looked up at it and saw something flinging the boulders. I could just barely make out the shape but it almost looked like a minotaur.

“What is that thing?” I didn’t have time to think as I dodged another.

Rattle Vane dived out of the way as one flattened a nearby rezythe.

“Damn that Firma.” He growled. “This is his idea of a surprise!” He glanced to his side and paused, glaring at two figures.

Braeburn and Applejack had picked themselves up and were busy dodging falling rocks. One particular boulder clipped her and she yelped as she fell to the ground. Brabeburn skidded to halt as he looked back at her.

“AJ, you alright?!” He exclaimed worriedly. She looked up and was about to answer when she saw it.

“LOOK OUT!” She yelled, pointing behind him. He only had time to turn before the blade came down.

Time slowed down for Applejack as she saw the blood fly up, her cousin slowly falling to the ground with his hat following, and the security chief standing over him, crimson drops staining his blade and a twisted smile on his face.

“Well, at leassst one good thing can come out of thisss.” He hissed as he brought the sword to his mouth and licked some of the blood off.

“You BASTARD!” Applejack screamed, tears streaming from her face. “How could you do that?!”

He glared down at her. “It’s my job to protect this place no matter what and besides” He looked down at Braeburn. “, I’ve been wanting his head for a long time.”

She saw him raise his sword again. “You call yourself a guard?! You’re nothing but a monster!”

He paused and slowly looked at her. Applejack thought her eyes played tricks on her because she thought his eyes became like a snakes.

“You know, you’re right and I just got an idea.” He stepped over him and walked towards her, sword raised. “Why kill him, when I can make him sssuffer.”

Her eyes widened when he stood in front of her and closed her eyes knowing what was coming as the sword came down.

‘CLANG’ ‘BOOM’

She heard the noise but hesitated on opening her eyes. Slowly, she opened and looked up at the scene.

I stood in front of her, shield up as Rattle Vane stumbled back from the backlash.

“Over my dead body.” I growled as my grip tightened on my sword.

“Echo?” Applejack muttered as she got to her knees. I glanced back at her.

“Don’t worry AJ, it’s gonna be okay.” I assured.

“Big talk after your friend’s been cut down.” Rattle Vane stated after regaining his bearings. I glared back at him, smirking under my helmet a little.

“You sure about that.”

He didn’t understand until a tomahawk slashed his arm, stating my point and causing him to jump back to look at his attacker. Braeburn stood on shaky hooves, mane dirtied from the desert floor with one hand gripping the weapon and the other over his bloodied right eye.

“Nobody threatens mah family.” He proclaimed through gritted teeth. Rattle Vane growled as he heard someone coming. Reverb came up behind him with a few rezythes.

“Iron! Have you lost your damn mind?!” He shouted at him. I heard hoofsteps behind me and glanced back seeing Stongheart and Bear Claw coming up. All our weapons were drawn and dared moved.

‘SCREEEECH!!!’

We all looked up at the sound to see a hawk flying across the sky. That’s the signal. All of a sudden, all the remaining buffalo abandoned their fighting and retreated. Some helped the injured escape while others covered them.

“What’s going on?!” Reverb exclaimed at the retreat.

“Strongheart, Bear Claw” I said to get their attention. “, help Braeburn.” The two acknowledge and went to him. Strongheart got his arm over her shoulders gently while Bear Claw covered them. She looked at Applejack and offered a sad smile.

“Don’t worry my friend, I’ll take care of him.” She reassured her as they moved back.

“What’s the matter?” Rattle Vane mocked. “Giving up sso sssoon.”

I glared back at him. “As much as I want to put you down, we finished what we came to do.” He looked confused as I looked at Reverb and motioned at Applejack. “No matter what, keep them safe.”

He didn’t have time to respond as I began to fade away in a blue mist instead of shadows.

‘That wasn’t the real one.’ Despite the revelation, Reverb rushed over to Applejack, canceling his transformation, to check on her.

“Are you alright?!” He questioned as he helped her to her hooves. She offered a slight nod as he looked back at the guard.

“What do you think he meant by ‘we finished what we came to do.’?” He asked. For a moment, Rattle Vane pondered the cryptic words until his eyes widen in realization. In a second, he spun around and sprinted towards the facility.

He stormed past the ruined front gates and made it to the buildings doors. He threw doors open and looked inside, not noticing the scorch marks on the door. Seconds later, he screamed out in rage at what greeted him.

A massive hole in the middle of the floor, caved in on itself, and all the cages empty.