• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 847 Views, 23 Comments

Night-Mares (Redux) - Cloud Shimmers



A friend of Twilight's from when they were Foals has nightmares ever time he falls asleep

  • ...
3
 23
 847

Hi again.

Twilight Sparkle received a knock on her door, she easily guessed that it would be her childhood friend. She opened the door and saw the Dark grey pegasus, his white man and quill cutie mark made him unmistakable.

"Hello Twilight!" He said eagerly.
"Noble!" she embraced him for a hug. "How have you been?" she ushered him inside.

"Well, ya know, traveling, writing, nightmares," he said, "the whole shebang really! And how about you? The princess' protege, your own library, shaped like a tree!"

"Yeah, a lot has changed in nine years." Twilight blushed. She wasn't sure how her friend would react to having Rainbow Dash be the one to greet him.

"Well your new friend seems nice enough!" He quipped. "She was very interested in my foalhood, meeting you and all."
Twilight laughed, "Did you tell her about how everyday you tried some new way to get my attention?"

"Of course," Noble said.
Twilight giggled, her friend was still as ridiculous as ever. "Well I wouldn't want my friends to get the wrong idea."

Noble laughed, "And what would that be Twilight Sparkle?" He knew he just liked teasing her, but once he saw that she wasn't amused he changed the subject. "Anyway, I didn't see you at the Gala, but apparently your friends made quite the ruckus."

"Yeah, well they do that." Twilight felt she deserved to ask a question at this point, "I was standing next to the princess all night, how did you not see me?"

"Well, i got caught up in a lot of, er, conversation before entering and I must have just missed you." That was a lie, the truth was that Noble was intimidated by her. After all these years, how could he approach her? 'hi Twi haven't seen you in a few years, by the way I'm losing my mind.' When he finally got the courage to talk to her, her crazy friend chased a stampede through the entry hall.

"Oh, well I'm sorry I didn't notice you." Twilight was also lying, she wouldn't have known how to handle the situation. 'Hi Noble, oh your famous. Me? Oh I'm a student.' Talk about awkward.

"Anyway, are you busy right now?" Noble asked, "Because I was thinking, maybe, we should catch up on each other's life?" That was the best he could do.

"Of course!" Twilight said, "Would you like some tea?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Twilight had finished telling Noble about the Parasprite incident, she wanted to confront him with his nightmares.
"Build an exact replica," Noble was cracking up, "Oh, that's brilliant!"

"So about your dreams," Twilight asked but Noble seemed to ignore her.
"Please tell me somepony took you seriously," He was faking the laughter.

"Noble, please." Twilight put her hoof on his, "I need to know."
Noble looked down into his tea, "You can certainly break a mood, Twilight." The colt sighed, "I've just been having some bad dreams, it's all fine." He put on a fake smile, but it didn't fool her.

"Clearly not if Celestia sent you here." Twilight asserted her role in the conversation, "I can't help you if you don't tell me whats going on. Now am I going to get my answers or am I going to have to pry them out?"

Noble stuck with his story, "Really there is nothing to pry out, I told you I'm fine."
Twilight groaned, her horn started to glow, "Don't make me do this!" She warned, she prepared a spell, a spell she had learned for just this occasion. The spell would let her find any secret in anyponies mind.

Noble half chuckled, "Twilight, your not going to like the results of that." He saw that his old friend was serious.

"Your not giving me any other choice," Twilight said through clenched teeth, "So tell me or I will come in there and get it."

Noble was shocked, "You wouldn't dare! I'm warning you now, Twilight you won't like what you see!"

Twilight pressed her horn to Noble's forehead, she attempted to enter his mind. However, instead of seeing Noble's dreams, she saw a memory of his. The day he saw her, she felt his emotion, struck with fear and adrenaline and hope. She then saw every attempt he made to get her attention, jumping off the school roof, rearranging clouds so they spelled 'hi Twilight', writing that story. She saw him write that story, but before she could fell the emotion of the words she was kicked out.

She was rushed back into her body, "That's not possible." She had practiced the spell that day, that was the reason she had sent Rainbow Dash to pick up Noble. Before she could figure out what was going on, she saw Noble leaving. "Wait, where are you going?" She called after him.

Noble stopped, he turned around, "You had no right to do that! You're so lucky I protected you!" with that he stormed off. The weather team must have been felling a bit cliche at that moment because it began raining.

"Protected me?" Twilight pondered this and returned to her books, according to the spell-book, The Mind Entry spell can only be defended from if somepony has specifically trained to resist mental trauma; Nightmares,etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noble walked into a pub, "Give me the strongest thing you have." He demanded

The bartender, called AppleCider, laughed, "Kid you must have quite a few problems, if you think you can handle THIS" The AppleCider poured something into a shot glass, "It's what they use to make the rainbow's up at CloudsDale, mixed with ethanol."

Noble looked at the drink, "Is it safe?"
The bartender laughed again, "Ask her, she's the only one who ever orders them." He pointed his hoof at a cyan pegasus.

"Thanks," he tipped the AppleCider, 'Like granddad use to say, never drink alone'. He walked over to her, "Hello Rainbow Dash, here to drown your sorrows?"

Rainbow Dash smiled, "Not particularly no, you?" She asked.
"Twilight decided to invade my personal space," he said. He started regretting it when Rainbow started to crack up.

"You must be quite the catch," She finished laughing when she saw he was still glum. "What happened?"
"She used a spell to get inside my mind," Noble said as he downed the drink, "Oh that's gonna hurt in the morning. Luckily, I can defend my self, up here." He tapped his noggin, "Half the time," he corrected.

Rainbow Dash called the bartender over and asked for more drinks, before either of them knew it they were completly wasted.

"You know what Twilies problem is?" Rainbow Dash asked him, "She needs to be in control, all the time."
"I-I know, I told her I was fine, and she was like 'zaaap'." He put a shot glass to his forehead to amplify the effect.

"Who cares if you get night-mirrors?" Rainbow Dash put her arm around him, "Y-your awesome because your so...you!"
"I-think your awesome!" Noble hugged her, "Because your all about life."

"I think your drunk," She laughed.
"I think your hot." he grinned, "Best pic up line ever!"

"Oh my gosh your right!" She looked for something to write with, "We need to write these down! Ugh, no paper!" she sobbed.

"You know who has paper?" Noble asked, "Twilight! We could totally steal some paper, that's the perfect revenge for her, buggering around in my head!" The two were about to leave when AppleCider stopped them.

"You still have to pay!" the Bartender called out.
Noble turned around, "here's a check buy yourself new chairs." He dropped it as the duo left.

AppleCider picked it up, his jaw dropped to the floor, "Cheff, how many zeroes are here?"