• Published 5th May 2013
  • 1,967 Views, 84 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 16: A Country at War - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor and his companions accidentally travel to the year 56, where Equestria is currently at war with the new Changeling Empire. In order to stop the invading army, the Doctor will need to team up with a hardened Celestia and a simple farmmare.

  • ...
3
 84
 1,967

Prologue: A Painting of Questions

Doctor Whooves: Episode 16

A Country at War

Prologue: A Painting of Questions

Home of Twilight Sparkle, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Winter, 1002 C.E.

Spike sat comfortably in front of the fireplace as he examined the book before him. It was a simple history book that had arrived for Twilight nearly a week earlier, but Spike had only remembered to give it to her just after she had headed off in the TARDIS with the Doctor and Derpy. Now it had been almost a week since her departure and Spike decided to sit down and read the book for himself. It wasn't anything spectacular. Just another book about Equestrian history. However, Spike took note of how it was a recent edition; which meant that it probably had a few things in it that weren't seen in previous history books. He was currently reading about the early years of Celestia's solo reign when there was a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" Spike called.

"Applejack!" called back a familiar voice.

"It's unlocked!" The door opened and in walked Applejack. She politely kicked the snow from her hooves upon entering the abode. Spike placed the book aside and stood up to greet his friend. "Hey, Applejack. What's going on?"

"Oh, nothing much. I've just been a bit busy down at the farm."

"With what? Equestria's covered in a blanket of snow."

"I'm talking about the livestock! I sure hope you don't think my farm is just about apples!"

"I don't think it's wrong for me to think that since that's all I tend to hear about when somepony mentions your farm."

"Whatever. Anyway, have you heard anything?"

"No."

"Well, shoot. They've been gone for nearly a week."

"Who knows how long they've been gone from their end of things."

"Or when they'll get back. You know how the TARDIS has the tendency to screw up."

"Don't remind me. I have enough to think about as it is. Hearth's Warming Eve is just two days away. It wouldn't feel the same without Twilight being there."

"I'm sure she, the Doctor, and Derpy will be home soon. Whatever trouble they get in, they'll be able to get themselves out of it as long as they stick together."

"You're right." Spike let out a chuckle and began moving back towards the fire. Applejack stepped forward and examined the book he had been reading previously.

"That looks new," Applejack stated.

"It is," Spike replied. "It arrived about a week ago. Twilight ordered it. I would have given it to her but she left before I got the chance."

"And you're reading it? Huh. I didn't take you as one to get excited in history, Spike."

"Let's just say that I've recently taken a slight interest in it due to...odd circumstances." Spike looked back at the book. His attention was quickly drawn to something in the book: a picture of an old painting. "That's odd."

"What is?" Applejack asked. Spike presented the book to Applejack and pointed at the picture of the painting.

"That," he stated. Applejack took the book in her hooves and examined the picture. It took her a moment but she quickly realized what Spike was talking about.

"Those ponies look just like-"

"Exactly."

"And is that the TA-"

"It looks like it."

"And is that Princess C-"

"From what I can tell, yeah."

"This must have been recently discovered. I don't remember Twilight ever showing me a painting like this."

"Twilight's showed you old paintings?"

"We took a trip to Canterlot once and we somehow ended up in a museum." Applejack's eyes were quickly drawn to two, particular objects in the painting. "Hold it right there...is it just me or does that thing right there look like a human?"

"I think it is a human."

"Now...why is there a human in an old painting from our universe?" Applejack asked.

"Here's another question. Why are there changelings in that picture as well?" Spike asked in reply.