• Published 1st May 2013
  • 4,504 Views, 41 Comments

Diamond Cutter Anthology Entries - Yukito



My entries into the Diamond Cutter Anthology

  • ...
1
 41
 4,504

Prompt #5 - Diamond Tiara's Mother

Prompt: Diamond Tiara visits a relative.


Stupid Cheerilee! Stupid Apple Bloom! Stupid Sweetie Belle! Stupid Silver Spoon! For once, Scootaloo is actually alright. But the rest of you, you can all just go to heck! I hate you! I hate all of you! I wish I was never born!


… Okay, so I may have had a bit of a temper tantrum, and I may have been held after school for throwing a bunch of objects around the class and injuring one or two kids. But it wasn’t my fault! It was Miss Cheerilee’s fault! And Snips’! How dare they bring up my mother?! Or rather, my lack of mother…

And then that stupid blank flank Apple Bloom had the nerve to try and console me! You want me to feel better? Stop bringing up my mum who’s never around! Gah! I hate everything! I just wanna go home and lock myself in my room!

“Why don’t I have a mum?!” I shout as I walk through the streets of Ponyville with my father. It had been silent up to that point. Daddy made a point of letting me know how cross he was, but what right did he have to be cross?! It was me who didn’t have a mum! “Why?!”

“Diamond sweetie, please. We can talk about this when we-”

“No! I want to know! I want to know why mum is never around to talk to me! Or to buy me toys! Or to praise me when I’m a good filly!”

“Diamond Tiara!” Oh great, here it comes. The voice daddy uses whenever he’s serious. I never win when he brings out this voice. It’s not fair! “We will talk about this later! When the time is right!”

“You always say that, but I’m not a little filly anymore! I’m a big kid, and I wanna know where my mommy is!”

“LATER!” Whoa! He’s never shouted quite that loud before. “… Later,” he repeats, more quietly this time.

It’s not fair, daddy. You’re always away at work, and the other kids are always talking about how their mothers bake treats for them, and take them out shopping, and treat their cuts whenever they get hurt, and send them to bed early when they get in trouble. Why can’t I have any of that? You have enough money to buy me anything I want… so why don’t I have a mum?


I hate sitting in my room with nothing to do. Because it means I have time to think about things clearly. And when I do that, I realise how stupid I was for taking it out on the other students. Yeah, ‘cause they’re the reason I have no mum. Sure.

And it’s not daddy’s fault, either. I know that money can’t buy a new mum… I know that, but… “Oh great, and now I need to use the little filly’s room.” Hopefully, I can sneak past daddy’s bedroom without him hearing. I don’t want to talk to him right now… I just want to go to sleep and wake up forgetting all about what happened today.

It won’t happen, but… what else can I do? Maybe if I had a mum, she would hold me, and tell me that everything’s alright, like the other kids said… And, she would wipe away my tears, so I didn’t have to do it myself.

Knock, Knock

Hm? Who’s visiting us so late at night? I’d better hide, so that daddy doesn’t see me when he leaves his bedroom. Wait, he’s already downstairs? So, I crept quietly for nothing?!

“Good evening, Mr. Rich.” … Oh my gosh. Is that… It is! It’s… It’s…

“P-Princess Sparkle! W-What a pleasant surprise!” Princess Twilight Sparkle is at our house?! W-Why?!

“You know that it isn’t. May I come in?”

“… So, it’s happened, has it?”

“Yes. And, I feel terrible about it. I want to tell you how sorry I am that-”

“Hold on. There’s somepony you should meet.” Uh-oh. Daddy’s coming up the stairs. Quick, to my room! No time! I know, I’ll pretend I was just coming out of the bathroom. “Diamond Tiara?”

“Y-Yes, daddy?”

“We need to talk. Can you come downstairs for a minute?”

I don’t want to talk, but… the look in his eyes says that he won’t take ‘no’ for an answer. “Y-Yes, daddy.”


Sooooo… here I am, sitting right in front of a Princess, drinking tea with her, and smiling nervously whilst trying not to accidentally do something that would get me banished. Suck on that, Crusaders.

“Your name is Diamond Tiara, right?” she asks me. I simply nod. “Well… this is… interesting.”

What’s so interesting about it?

“Perhaps we should explain,” daddy says. “You see, Diamond… you remember the story of how I met you mother, right?” How can I not? It’s the only thing of my mother’s I even have.

“You met her at you College graduation party. You were chasing some other mare, she rejected you, and then mum came along and you fell for her at first sight.”

“Well, something like that.” … Wait, why did the Princess just say that? “It must have been so long ago for you, but for me, it’s like it was just a few hours ago.”

“I imagine I look so old to you now, but you still the look the same as back then.”

“Wait, what do you mean?” I ask. This is all so confusing. Why are they talking like they’re old friends or something?

“Well, you see, Diamond,” Twilight says, “Earlier today, I decided to try my new-found Princesshood powers to try and improve upon a spell I had used in the past. A time-travel spell, developed by Starswirl the Bearded himself. And, whilst I was in the past… I met a certain stallion, and we…”

… Wait. I-Is she implying what I think she’s implying? “Y-You mean, you and my dad…”

“I’m so sorry,” she says. “I-I never meant to hurt anypony. Had I know at the time who he was… that he would grow up to have a happy family… But, thankfully, it seems that the timeline has not been altered. I guess he still met your mother at that party, huh?”

Daddy clears his throat. He has that same dumb look he always has whenever he’s around a pretty mare. Only, this time, it looks even worse. “Actually, Twi- … Princess. It’s… not quite as simple as that. You see, ten months after the party, I saw you again.”

“You did?” she asks. “I… time-travel again?”

“… And you… present me with a beautiful baby filly… who we named Diamond Tiara…”

Forget time-travel. Daddy just made time stop. Is he saying what I think he’s saying? “Mr. Rich, does that mean…”

I can’t believe this! “You kidnap me and send back to the past?!” … Oops. I just yelled at a Princess.

Why is daddy laughing? Does he not care what happens to me anymore? Did I… Did I hurt him with all my yelling earlier? “No, Diamond. That’s not it. What I mean is, ten months from now, she’ll go back in time again to deliver the baby version of you.”

… Okay, now I’m confused. “Huh? But, I’m not a baby anymore.”

“No, she…” Daddy’s face is now red. What’s he trying to tell me. “She’s pregnant, Diamond. Pregnant with you.”

“… She’s doing what to me?” Seriously, so confused.

“You… don’t know what that means?” Daddy asks. I shake my head. “Uh, you… know about the difference between stallions and mares, right?”

“Colts have germs and fillies have manners?” They both laugh at my answer. Why? It’s right, isn’t it? … Stop laughing at me!

“I think…” Daddy finally manages to stop laughing. “I think I’m going to have pay a visit to Miss Cheerilee tomorrow.”

“… Mr. Rich… is it true what you just said?” the Princess asks. “That I’m… I’m Diamond Tiara’s mother?”

… What? WHAT? “WHAT?!” S-She’s my… “W-Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“I, uh, tried,” daddy says. What a lie. When? “Listen, I’m sorry for not saying anything to you, Diamond Tiara. But I had to keep it a secret. I couldn’t tell anyone anything, otherwise, it could disrupt the space-time cot… cotninum?”

“‘Continuum’,” the Princess says. Yet another word I don’t understand. Speak Equine, already!

“Right. Anyway, if I had told anypony, then you would run the risk of never being born…” Daddy puts his forehoof over the Princess’. “And I would have never had the most magical night of my entire life, with the most beautiful mare in the entire world.”

The Princess blushes, and looks my way. “I-I just… can’t believe it. To think, this whole time, I’ve had a daughter and never known about it…”

“I don’t believe you!” I shout. “If you’re my mommy, then… then do something to prove it! Something that only my mother could do!”

“Diamond, please-” daddy begins, but mu- the Princess, cuts him off by extending her wing.

“Alrighty then. Diamond, come here.” She holds out her foreleg, inviting me into her open chest. Is this some kind of trick. “It’s okay. Trust me.” … I slowly move forward, and climb up onto the couch, sitting beside the Princess. She asks me to move closer, so I do. I lean my head on her chest, and she wraps her forelegs around me. “Do you feel it?”

“Feel what?” … Wait, this is… “… M-Mommy?”

“… Yes… I feel it, too,” she says. I feel something drip onto my head. “There’s no doubt. You’re… You’re my daughter…”

I now feel something wet running down my face. “Mommy… i-it’s really… really you… Why haven’t you been around? Why didn’t you ever say anything?”

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, Diamond Tiara.” She nuzzles the top of my mane, and I close my eyes as I snuggle up closer to her. “I promise… I promise that I’ll be there for you from now on. I’ll make up for all the years we’ve missed together. So please… please tell me you’ll forgive me…”

I can’t believe it. After all this time. After all these years, mommy is right here. I’m hugging my mother. I’m being held by her. She’s nuzzling me, just like the other kids said. “Mommy… c-can you… can you come to school with me next week, for Family Appreciation Day?”

“But Diamond, you’ve already had your turn,” daddy says.

“I don’t care! I-I want to show everypony…” I want them to know… that I have a mother now. “Please?”

“… Well, if Miss Cheerilee says that it’s okay…”

“I’ll be there,” mommy says.

“… And, can we go to the park tomorrow, and can you put a bandage over my cut leg?”

“… Yes. But, maybe we can miss the part where you actually get hurt?”

“… And, tonight, can you read the rest of this book I was reading to me? Some words are hard to read…”

I feel her holding me tighter. “Yes, Diamond. I’ll do it all. I’ll be here to raise you, to look after you… like a mother should.”

I’m so happy. I finally have a mother of my own. I think daddy’s happy too, because he’s also hugging us, and he’s crying while smiling. “I love you, mommy, daddy.”

Author's Note:

I was originally going to give this one a miss, but after seeing the lack of submissions, I decided to have a crack at it. Then I brained an idea that I just couldn't resist. Feel free to make this your headcanon if you wish.

Y'know, this might actually explain why DT's love for big crown thingies... Like-mother-like-daughter. Diamond Tiara Alicorn go!