• Published 5th May 2013
  • 5,840 Views, 1,485 Comments

The Adventures of Fragment - A Dark Reminder



Fragment, a changeling with amnesia, is brought to Canterlot after the failed invasion. What will the princesses do with him, and what about the life he has unknowingly left behind?

  • ...
14
 1,485
 5,840

Chapter 7: The Royal Treatment

Princess Celestia was going to help me? Help me relearn magic? And if I understood correctly, help me learn to fly? I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing, but she didn't stop there, she gave me the nicest room I had ever seen, which isn't saying much, since I've only seen a few rooms and been in less, but nonetheless, a six out of five star room in a castle, food, training, and all of it was free of charge. I was still processing all of this as Princess Celestia left the room and I laid on my bed, which was comfier than it looked.

"You get to stay in a Castle? How cool is that?!" Pinkie asked enthusiastically as lightly bounced in place.

"I must be the luckiest Changeling in the history of everything." I said as I lazily laid on the bed with a goofy smile.

"I'll say. Most ponies aren't lucky enough to stay in Canterlot Castle for free, but I guess when you've lost your memories, barely know any magic, don't know how to fly, and have a tendency to be in pain, a lot of pity comes your way." Striker said as he examined the room.

"And it's not something I'm going to argue with." I said as I sat up. "I'm really glad my fears weren't true." I said as Twilight walked closer to me.

"When did Princess Luna visit you? And why didn't you tell us?" Twilight asked as they got closer to the bed, I guess they were more curious about it than I thought.

"And where was I when that happened?" Striker asked as his attention was also drawn to me.

"I didn't tell you because it kind of slipped my mind, and you were asleep."

"Right, 'cause getting a visit from a Princess is so hard to remember." Rainbow Dash said very unconvinced.

"So what do you want from me then? Want me to tell you what happened?" I asked thinking this wasn't a big deal.

"It'd be nice. How exactly did she come to you in a dream?" Twilight asked giving me her full attention.

"I don't know how, but she entered my dream two nights ago, she told me it's her duty as Princess of the night to oversee the dreams of Equestrians, and when she came to my dream she was surprised that I was a Changeling, and that I was in pain." I explained.

"Why were you in pain?" Twilight asked.

"Because I was remembering in my sleep; that's why I said 'flashback dream.' And it seems that remembering in anyway is a painful experience, and since I know you're wondering, the flashback was about the attack on Canterlot it wasn't a very clear flashback but thanks to it I know for sure I was part of the attack, but to get back to the subject of Princess Luna, she came to my dream and told me it's her duty to watch everypony's dreams, then she tried to help me with the flashback; you could say she was coaching me, but either way, she told me that what I was seeing in the flashback was Canterlot, and that's how I figured I was part of the attack. After she left I lost what control I had over the flashback and I saw from a first-person view myself in an alleyway with somepony, and they were trying to tell me something but everything was too distorted to tell what, and just as the dream ended I heard a mare's voice say 'You're in danger,' and with that the dream ended."

I said as the look on Twilight's face and her scent told me I had just given her more questions than answers.

"A mare told you you were in danger? Why were you in danger? because of the spell?" Twilight asked as she tapped her chin with her hoof.

"I think the real question should be: what sane pony would want to warn the Changelings about anything." Rainbow Dash said as she crossed her forelegs.

"In the middle of the battle nonetheless. But beyond knowing for sure that I was part of the invasion I can't say that I got any helpful information out of that dream." I said as I tried to think of something else useful that was in my dream.

"Can you describe the mare that was talking to you?" Twilight asked as she shifted her attention back to me.

"Not really; everything in the dream was blurry and distorted. All I can say for sure is that she had a white coat." I said with a shrug.

"If you remember anything helpful you should tell Princess Celestia right away." Twilight told me as she got up. "You know, we could give you a tour of the castle if you'd like." Twilight said as they others got up as well.

"Why not?" I said as I slowly got off the bed. "Lead the way." With that Twilight started showing me the castle and telling me about all its glory. She told me about the castle's history, who made the stained windows, what the art in them meant, the architects who made the castle, but as we walked through the castle and we passed all kinds of guards maids and butlers.

The guards watched me with clear dislike in both their eyes and in their scents, the maids were obviously afraid of me and they tried to stay as far away from me as possible, and the butlers just did their best to ignore me, but it bothered me all the same. I just hoped that it would improve over time.

We had been walking around the castle for about twenty minutes when we reached the castle's statue garden where many statues of historical figures could be found around the gardens. Twilight told me the history behind most of the statues we passed, which seemed to bore everyone but Twilight, until we came to a very strange statue; it had the head and torso of a pony with two mismatched horns, bushy eyebrows, a single fang noticeably longer then his other teeth, a small goat-like beard, a bat wing and a pegasus wing, a lion's leg as a right forearm and a eagle's talon and leg as a left forearm, it's right leg was reptilian and it's left leg was a goat's, it's tail was like a dragon's and it had a tuft at the end. I stopped and stared at this statue and asked the all important question.

"Hey Twilight, what in the name of holy Tartarus is that thing?" I asked as the others stopped.

"That's Discord, the spirit of disharmony." Twilight said as we gathered around the statue. I could smell resentment from them as we stood.

"This, is Discord? When I read about him in that history book - about how evil and powerful he is - I had expected something more... intimidating." I said as I looked the statue over and some of the others gave a short laugh.

"He might not be all that scary to look at, but we had a lot of trouble with him when he was free a few months ago." Twilight said as she too stared at Discord.

"How did he escape? Isn't the statue magical?" I asked.

"Princess Celestia told us that when she and Princess Luna used the Elements of Harmony on Discord they thought that the spell would keep him imprisoned forever, but when they became disconnected from the Elements of Harmony the spell weakened, and he was able to escape. He wasn't free for long, but he caused a lot of chaos while he was." Twilight explained.

"You should've seen it, Fragment! He turned the roads into soap and the corn on the cob into pop-corn on the cob and he made cotton candy clouds that rained chocolate milk! HE MADE IT RAIN CHOCOLATE MILK!" Pinkie shouted excitedly.

"He also turned us against each other." Rainbow Dash reminded as she glared at the statue with dislike that surpassed the dislike she had for me.

"Like a big MEANIE!" Pinkie shouted at the statue.

"So how did you re-imprison him?" I asked ignoring Pinkie and Rainbow Dash.

"We used the Elements of Harmony like the Princess did a thousand years ago." Twilight said as Pinkie started making faces at Discord's statue.

"Can anypony use the Elements of Harmony?"

"No, we can use them because we're the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. The six of us are the embodiment of an Element of Harmony. Applejack represents honesty; Fluttershy represents kindness; Pinkie Pie represents laughter; Rarity represents generosity; Rainbow Dash loyalty; and me magic." Twilight explained as Rainbow Dash joined in on making faces at Discord.

"Is that what you meant at the Hospital when you said you're the element of laughter, Pinkie?" I asked getting Pinkie's attention.

"Uh-huh!" She said simply as she resumed making faces.

"Hello, everypony." A voice said from behind us. We to turned around to see, though applejack blocked my view so I had to peer around her, and we saw a tall white Unicorn with a blue mane and tail that had a streak of light blue, and a pink Unicorn with a purple, pink, and light yellow mane and tail. But wait, that's not a Unicorn, it has wings. Another Alicorn? I thought as Twilight ran up to them.

"Shining! Cadance!" Twilight said as she ran up to them, then she and Cadance did the strangest thing I have ever seen. "Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake, clap your hooves and do a little shake!"

They said together doing some motions I could vaguely call a dance, one that I don't want to describe, which left me wondering.

What the fuck? Wait... did she say Cadance? and Shining? As in, Princess Cadence and Shining Armor? The ones who's wedding was almost ruined by the Changelings? With this in mind, I casually brought my hood over my head with my magic to hide from them.

"Hi, Twiliy. How have all of you been you been?" Shining Armor asked as Twilight and Princess Cadence stopped doing whatever it was they were doing.

"We've been good." Twilight said with a smile.

"Who's this?" Shining Armor asked as he looked at me. Twilight and the others' faces became uncertain ones and I was afraid for me life.

"Sir." Striker said getting Shining Armor's attention. "This is Fragment, he's the Changeling Princess Celestia sent me to Ponyville for." Striker explained as Shining Armor and Princess Cadence stopped smiling and looked at me. Knowing that they knew I was a Changeling, based on their reactions, I lowered my hood slowly showing my head and my nervous face.

"Heh, heh, hello." I said with a nervous smile. They said nothing, and there was an awkward silence for a few seconds.

"Well." Twilight said as she cleared her throat. "Me and the girls should get going, and I'm sure Striker should take Fragment back to his room anyway." Twilight said. "We'll probably come back to Canterlot in a week or so. We'll see all of you then." Twilight said as the group began walking away.

"Goodbye." we said as they left. "Striker, could you please take me back to my room?" I asked as Shining Armor continued to glare daggers at me.

"Ah, yeah. This way." Striker said sounding a little nervous himself as he began leading me back to my room and I brought my hood over my head again. As we walked through the doors into the castle I let out a huge sigh of relief, to which Striker merely chuckled. "And what makes this worse for you is that both of them live right here in the castle right now."

"Great. That's just great. How well do you know him?" I asked as we made our way back to my room.

"Pretty well I guess. We're not really friends but he's a good stallion. Why?"

"Because I want to know if I should be looking over my shoulder and sleeping with one eye open." I asked as Striker laughed.

"He might not like you but there isn't a chance he'll try to kill you or anything."

"Are you sure? Because he looked like he would back there. And you sounded pretty unsure yourself."

"I don't like tension. But to get back to my point, no pony is going to look like they like you for a long time with the invasion being so recent, but I highly doubt anypony will try to hurt you when you're a guest of the Princesses. They don't like you, but they'll respect the Princesses' decision."

"I hope you're right..." I said as we reached my room. I saw a clock over my bed saying it was five o seven P.M. "So when's dinner?" I asked.

"Dinner in the Castle is around six, so you have a lot of time to kill." He said as he took a seat.

"Well, I don't know what you're going to do but I'm going play with the levitation spell." I said as my horn began to glow dark green, I untied my cloak and hung it in the closet.

"That's really the only spell you can do isn't it?"

"No, I can also do this." I said as my horn flashed dark green. "I think you'll remember that." I said with a smile as Striker felt his new large handlebar mustache.

"Right... That." He said as he rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"And don't forget it." I said as I drew power again and with another dark green flash, the mustache was gone.

"Shouldn't you be saving your power for actual training? Keep in mind that the others are gone, so you don't have anypony to feed off of, and if you run out of love there isn't much we'll be able to do." Striker explained in a serious tone.

"Good point. But in that case, what are the Princesses going to do about feeding me emotions? Even after I fed off of Twilight, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie, I was still hungry, and it's only going to get worse over time." I asked seeing a big problem in this set up.

"You should ask the Princess about that at dinner." Striker said.

"In the meantime, I'll be taking a nap." I said as I pulled the covers off the bed, got in, and pulled the covers back over myself. "Have somepony wake me up when it's dinner please." I said as I adjusted myself. It's even comfier when you're in the bed.

"Yeah. Have a good sleep." Striker said as he got up to leave.

"I'll try." I said as I closed the curtains with my magic and tried to sleep.

(~Φ~)

Some time later I was woken up by somepony knocking on my door and before I could ask who was there, the door opened as I leaned up to see a white Unicorn guard pony wearing typical gold steel armor standing in the doorway. "Princess Celestia sent me to inform you that dinner will be ready in five minutes." He said as I did my best to stretch without stretching my left foreleg. "And I am also to supervise you until tomorrow morning when Striker is back on his shift." The guard explained as I yawned and began getting out of bed.

"So who are you then?" I asked as I was fully out of bed.

"I'm Blast Shield." He said simply as I grabbed and put on my cloak with my magic but left the hood down.

"Nice to meet you. I assume you know who I am." I said as he simply nodded. "Well, let's not keep the Princess waiting." I said as Blast Shield began leading the way with me limping along.

We walked for a few minutes until we came to a large room with a long rectangular table with fancy looking chairs around it, and at the other end of the table were two large almost throne like chairs, each one had a symbol of the Princess who used it. As I took my seat at one of the chairs near the end of the table, and with Blast Shield sitting next to me, the doors on the other side of the room opened as Princess Celestia walked into the room, when she did the other four guards in the room, two by the doors we came through and two by the doors the Princess came through, bowed as me and Blast Shield got out of our chairs so we could do the same, but unlike last time I was careful when I bowed so I didn't fall and look stupid.

"You may rise." She said as we all stood back up. "Hello Fragment." She said with a small smile. "How has your stay in the castle been so far?" She asked as we took our seats again.

"It's been nice, the castle is a marvel of architecture and the garden is nice and peaceful, other than the kind of creepy statue of Discord. The only thing is that I almost had a heart attack when I met Shining Armor and Cadence." I said as some maids and butlers began bringing the food and silverware to the table. Don't ask me what the food was because I couldn't identify any of it. Princess Celestia simply nodded at my statement.

"They're not fond of the idea of the castle housing a Changeling after the attack, which is perfectly understandable given everything that's happened because of the Queen, but they haven't even tried to give you a chance to prove you're not bad. Cadance may be willing to try, but I think that Shining Armor will need a lot of convincing." The princess said as she started eating.

"I'm sure that'll be easy." I said sarcastically as I began to lift a fork with my magic. "And by the way, Striker pointed out a big hole in this set up." I said as I took a bite of my food. It's better than the stuff at the hospital, to say the least. I thought as Princess Celestia spoke.

"Is it about feeding on emotions?" She asked seeming to have read my mind.

"... I'm going to guess that since you guessed it on the first try you already have a plan for it." I said as I took another bite and noticed that Blast Shield's plate was empty save for the small amount of crumbs. Fuck you eat fast.

"I have thought about that form of feeding, and I'm not sure what we can do other than the possibility of a power transfer. My idea is that I can, in a sense, give power to you instead of feeding or stealing." She said as she continued to eat.

"What do you mean 'feeding or stealing?' Can Changelings just take emotions instead of posing as a pony to feed on the emotions?" I asked as I took another bite of my meal. "Twilight said that Equestrians didn't know much about Changelings, so how do you know that?"

"Let's just say that Chrysalis can monologue for a while." Princess Celestia said with a smile. "And if Changelings couldn't steal love instead of pretending to be a pony who's loved, than the whole invasion would have been pointless." She explained as she took a drink from her cup. "Because the ponies would eventually stop trusting those around them believing that they were Changelings, so if that happened there would be no love for the Changelings to take."

"Good point." I said as thought about the ability to 'steal' love. So changelings can actually steal love? And here I was thinking that they meant take somepony's place and pretend to be them, and in that way, 'steal the love of a pony.' Is that something I want to know how to do? Why would want to know that? That's the kind of thing that makes ponies hate and fear Changelings, so why would I want to do that? Why am I even asking if I don't think it's something I should learn? Maybe it could be useful at some point, but generally it's not something I should use. I thought as we ate.

Other than the sound of our eating it was a quiet dinner since it was already decided that training would start tomorrow, so after we finished our dinner, which the medal for doing first goes to Blast Shield, and after desert, which was cake and ice-cream, I said goodnight to the Princess and headed for my room with Blast Shield leading the way as I tried to remember the layout of the castle. About five minutes later we reached my room and Blast Shield stopped and stood by the side of the door as I entered my room.

The only light in the room came from the moonlight shining through the windows, which made it hard to see. "Where's the damn light switch?" I asked the open air as I blindly felt the wall next to the door.

After a few seconds of searching I found and turned on the light switch, but the sudden and drastic increase in light shot pain through my eyes as I shut them. "Fuck." I said as I eased my eyes back open. With the room now lit, I made my way to the bed as I put my cloak in the closet pulled the covers off the bed and got in bed. As I pulled the covers back I turned the light off using my levitation to grip and pull the switch down. Once that was done I slowly and carefully crawled into bed and pulled the blankets over myself and tried to get some sleep. I had a big day tomorrow.