School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,625 stories
Comments ( 46 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 46

Hey guys, I'm Darklordcomp and I'm a new professor to the school, and I am here to destroy your concept on what you thought you knew about writing!

Who is Pinkie Pie? That isn't a good question ask again. What is Pinkie Pie? There that’s much better.

Pinkie Pie is Pinkie Pie, but what she isn't is a device to break the 4th wall, she isn't always going to be your slap stick comic relief whore, and she isn't always going to be funny. You have to understand that and transcend that so that you may write her properly.

So many authors write Pinkie Pie poorly and they don't understand why people get mad at them for “Ruining their favorite pony.”

Well lets force you to understand,shall we?

In order to write Pinkie Pie correctly you have to look at how she acts in the show and use that. She is a caring, fun loving filly who loves to play jokes and have fun. Okay thats simple, but then you have to look deeper. She's smart, I mean really smart and she may be silly but she isn't that annoying twelve year old who stole your pencil in 7th grade either. You can't make her out to be immature, because while she does act zany and carefree she isn't immature. She has her moments where she could be called Immature but then again so does every character in the show, even Princess Celestia. But that doesn't mean you have to play on that part of the characters personalities.

She is misused in fanfiction because her character is so over the top that people view her as ALWAYS being immature, so you my students need to look past her over the top character and writer her like you write every other character in the show.

You have to write Pinkie Pie as a fun loving, party going teenager, instead of a fun loving, innocent child. She isn't innocent, she has fought Nightmare Moon, Discord, Sombra, Chrysalis, and Tentacle plant monsters, take that into account. She puts a smile on to help her friends giggle at there ghosty's and she even admits to having dark and lonely days. PLAY ON THAT.

You need to balance her out, make her fun loving and happy when she needs to be, but serious and mature when the story calls for it.

If you use her right she can be the best supporting character's in your story. But if you use her incorrectly she can ruin your story and cause readers to press that thumbs down button faster than you can say eeyup.

Pinkie Pie will not always be happy, if you throw her into a bloody war she will be disgusted and saddened just like a normal pony would be, she is not immune to negativity and sorrow, so don't write her to be.

You can make it so she takes it easier than most ponies sure, but you shouldn't make her IMMUNE to such things.

The fourth wall is also another key issue that I will bring up in a later lecture, but it should still be addressed. Don't have Pinkie break it. Breaking the fourth wall is not subtle, readers notice it and it reminds them that they are reading a story. You want to avoid this It shatters the illusion of reality and the suspension of disbelief.

In short, Write her like a normal character, When you write her write her as a fun loving party pony, but don’t go overboard.

Don’t make her the annoying joke character, make her the supporting character, Make her the character that brings light into the story, but not the character that’s immune to darkness. Use her strengths to carry the story along but don’t rely on her as your only form of comedy.

I will say that in fallout equestria, Pinkie was able to break the 4th wall without making you think of the story at all.

I LOVE THIS!!!!! And I learned something new, personally I make her more serious in my stories, I know that's not how she is but I honestly can't really help it, is that good or bad?:unsuresweetie:

2566888 Yeah but that Is Pinkie Pie Written by an experienced author, who took time in planning her character. Also the characters in FOE are very...OOC and In my opinion anyway are different then the characters they were based off of.

2566945 What does OOC even mean?

2566955 AHH good question my young green horn, OOC stands for Out Of Character, its when you write a character but they act against what they were designed to be. Celestia is written as a kind and benevolent ruler, but in a story she's written as a rapist with no regard for her subjects safety. see what I mean?

2566895 That actually isn't a bad thing, just make sure that you make her bubbly and happy as well, you don't want to have her be too serious. She's Pinkie Pie she has to be the happy party pony but she can be serious as well.

2567035 Thank you for the tips and I'll edit it. I've never been the best with grammar or punctuation. I saw that this was becoming more of a Faux Paus instead of a lecture.

Interesting Pinkie observation I had:

Her biggest weakness, when dealing with other ponies, is this: she does not fully grasp the difference between "happy" and "smiling." Let that sink in for half a minute.

The other thing, and this can be a pet peeve of mine: Pinkie is not random. Pinkie is eccentric. From Pinkie's point of view, everything she does always makes complete sense to Pinkie, and if we knew ahead of time what Pinkie knew (and did not know what Pinkie did not know) then all of her choices make sense.

2567161 No worries as I have said I'm not the best with grammar or punctuation. I do understand how to characterize and story tell really well though and I think thats why they accepted me as a professor. Most of my lectures are going to be about character traits and characters but since this was my first one It wasn't up to par on what I will end up making. But as any good writer knows that that is no exscuse. Thank your for your critique :pinkiehappy:

2567243 NEVER CHILD I WILL NOT MAKE IT STOP.

2567081 You bring up really good points there, and these points are particularly hard for authors to really understand because it is a great example of a complex character. A lot of her logic is never seen, so we can't always connect her actions that seem random to her logic or reasoning.

2566852 I just want to say, nice job on picking a substantial and a necessary topic to write about. I think you did well in elaborating on some of the "faux pas" of portraying Pinkie Pie as a character. One thing I would say is remember to be a bit more unbiased with your post, since this seemed like you had a chip on your shoulder for anyone who doesn't create an accurate Pinkie Pie in their story. I won't lie, I get pretty annoyed when people make her into a flat character when she is, in reality, a complex and dynamic character. But at the same time, she is a difficult character to get right at times because she has a few quirks to her.

Also, I would suggest swinging your posts by an editor just because they might be able to iron out some of the grammatical and punctuation errors. It just helps deliver a more powerful post.

Anyways, sorry to be critical, but you did deliver a good lesson. You just need a tad more flavor change. :pinkiesmile: Thanks again, and make sure to post some more. I would love to see your insight into other topics.

2567494 I DON'T TASTE GOOD and sorry I'm still new at it XD. I am a bit biased in my view since alot of people can't seem to write Pinkie Right...I'll try to be less critical

You. Yes, you. I see what you're doing, and I like it.

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

2566852 'Twas good for a lecture. The point itself could have used a little bit of elaboration, but overall it was informative and straight to the point.

I wouldn't compare Pinky to a party-loving teenager. Such makes sense, in light of what you said-- she's carefree, but she's also mature.

However, the latter is usually not a quality associated with teens who are enamored with the concept of partying.

2567207 it was difficult to write Pinkie when I first started out, but given that my character needs somepony like that to cheer her up most of the time, I wrote the party pony with the same, fun-loving attitude, but she can be kind and find a sort of common ground towards my oc. :pinkiehappy: In one fic I read, I remember the author placing her as the 'gossipy type' in order to get Applejack and Caramel to break up unknowingly... kind ruined my liking to the story, but I see your point. :ajbemused:

Now do one on Rarity. :raritywink:

I read the entire post, but the line that really caught me was that you went from "Who is Pinkie Pie" to "What is Pinkie Pie?". That's extraordinarily helpful.

I feel it's prudent to note that there's no one correct way for a person to write Pinkie's character. In fact, there is absolutely nothing wrong with including her solely for comedy—that is, after all, her role in at least half of the MLP episodes. However, it becomes harder to justify such a characterization when she's given a more prominent role in the story.

I also want to mention that one potential interpretation of Pinkie is that she IS that silly pony who has a filly-ish personality. This might seem shallow, until the author gives her the ability to learn and incorporate her experience while still retaining that goofiness that we all know and love.

Writing is subjective, and nearly everything can be justified. Some things are just harder than others.

Nah, I'm just a stickler for grammar.

2567506 add a little spice, and BAM! Look at that bacon sizzle! But be critical if need be, but to best convey points is through more rationale. Sorry, I do a lot of sociology and poli sci work, so I'm used to just being very unbiased and rational when I make points, even if I feel very strongly about something. Just me :pinkiesmile:

Stereotypes are as stereotypes are. If you'll speak of an stereotype, I won't assume you speak of an archetype.

You miss my point. I'm not saying that such a label is accurate, I'm saying that X is often associated with Y and Z. In reality, Y and Z may often have nothing to do with X. However, that doesn't stop them from being associated with one another.

Please, treat me with some measure of respect. I've done nothing but that for you.

For the third time, you've brushed over my point.

Just because a stereotype is inaccurate doesn't mean that said stereotype doesn't exist as a commonly used literary device. A stereotype might be wildly innacurate, but nevertheless it still exists as a stereotype.

When the writer of the lecture described Pinky as a party going teenager, I saw a stereotype. You saw an archetype. Neither of those views are wrong, both of those views are right. Both appear in fiction, but one appears more often in 'real life'.

This blog deals with writing. Therefore, I associated the phrase 'party loving teenager' with the stereotype.

thank you. I was having issues with writing Pinkie.

No wonder I had more dislikes. I wasn't writing Pinkie right.

Huh, thought I saw you around. Also, I thought Faux Pas was a tag you use when you want to officially bitch about something you had no control over.

Guess you proved me wrong.

2579985 Hmm I noticed that it was becoming more of a rant so I put faux paus just to be safe

XiF

It shatters the illusion of reality and the suspension of disbelief.

This. Every mistake made with Pinkie summed up in one sentence. Unfortunately, sometimes the show does this as well.

C12

2566983 Celestia's relaxing vacation, I think? Either that one or it was Molestia. Actually, Celestia's relaxing vacation is a better example because she is written as an evil mastermind, raping and murdering ponies in the most gruesome ways one can imagine. I love it!

The term used in the song is "ghosties" not "ghosty's." Sorry. :(

4730616 No worries this was made a few months ago before the Teacher's Lounge Skype group was made for better communication between the Professors, so I had no one to check it for errors besides myself and I missed a few.

Hint- Pinkie isnt exactly 'a party-loving teenager'. In fact, she's more like a 'fun-loving adult'. Think about it. Pinkie is mature enough to be beating up baddies and going out late at night. You dont want Pinkie to act too mature, either.

Think about it this way. You have a best friend who loves to have fun. He/She is about a year younger then you, but still is responsible and sensible. They also are a bit childish and can be inmature at times[Notice I said AT TIMES]. And when your thinking about your new imaginary friend, try and write about that friend. But instead of writing so-called friend's name, write Pinkie Pie. You getting the picture?

In order to write Pinkie Pie correctly you have to look at how she acts in the show and use that.

God save me if this is another "study your reference materials" rant... Look, more fundamental than what a character does... more fundamental than why they do it, is how they come to the decision to do it.

When considering the traits Pinkie Pie displays in the show her most fundamental, most drastically underlined trait, is her ability to make intuitive leaps. This is of course followed quickly and closely by her extrovertive nature. Everything about her screams ENFP.

Funny or not, excitable or mundane, what defines Pinkie Pie's "antics" is her ability and willingness to connect the dots where others see no real connection between. Much of what motivates a character, or person, does not stem from what we perceive their behavior to say about them because there is a lot of stuff We Don't Know, and just can't know.

What I feel makes Pinkie Pie, well, Pinkie Pie is not any particular set of behavior, but how each behavior absolutely exemplifies (to the point of caricature) the individual aspects of Extroversion, Intuitive problem solving bent on empathy (Feeling), while relying on her extraordinary Perception (Perceiving) to take in new info as she receives it.

Understanding these traits will dictate to you how to use them in any, and all, scenarios you might feel the need to implement the character possessing them in.

You have to write...

No.

2566852 check out my story! The Legend of Zelda: Time and harmony! Did I get Pinkie right?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 46