School for New Writers 5,013 members · 9,640 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26
PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

This subject has hit me a couple of times when I really needed to break through a bad bout of writer's block. But it was only when Cadabra and I started talking a while back that I really started making headway in my pursuit. And now, I will share with you some of the tactics I have found helpful in stimulating the creative parts of your brain.

Cadabra pointed out that the right kinds of sound tend to activate different parts of the brain. From that assertion, as well as a few shared video links, I have found that meditation music (like rainfall, some flute music, white noise, and even some lighter techno and dubstep) will do the job just fine.

Give this a try.

I've found that listening to that in ambiance boosted my own ability to spice up my work.

Music helps in the short run, but in the longer run, I find that mind stimulating games will do a good job of making the creative juices flow. The best place I've found that provides the most mind stimulating games is Lumosity. Sure, the full selection costs money, but the free services are actually pretty good. And it's pretty fun.

And to top it off I'll just go ahead and give you the advice that I gave everyone who asked a question in World of Warcraft: Go outside. Get some exercise and some sunlight, get eight hours (actually nine and a quarter hours) a night, and once in a while eat something that grew on a plant.

2067867 how is this for meditation music?

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

2067947 And to think, he was an Air Force master sergeant.

2067960 ikr? Even though I am 15, I am always watching his show. I still stink at painting, but my WRITING skill has improved from his teachings. Weird, eh?

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

2067964 He would do in half an hour what I still haven't managed to do in twenty two years.

2067973 He could do that and kick your ass with his afro... as a paintbrush and attacking weapon.

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

2067982 Yeah, I had an afro at one point in my life. And if someone somehow managed to find one of Bob Ross's 'fro hairs and put it in a paintbrush, I'm pretty sure some kind of voodoo magic would kick in and you too would be able to paint happy little trees . . . in real life.

2067998 and they would come to life to paint more trees.

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

2068008 Story idea: Bob Ross paints a portal to Equestria and slathers Fluttershy in paint. Title: "A Happy Little Tree . . ."

2068056 What about 'Fluttershy saves Bob Ross, the God of Art who overthrew Apollo, and is granted a wish. She wishes to be a happy little tree...'

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

2068087 Yes! Cut, print, moving on.

2068217 You make the one-shot, I bet it will be good practice. ☺

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

2068221 The last time I did a one-shot, it took me two months to write. I'm not a good sporadic writer.

2068225Check out my writings on my profile, I'll check out yours. (Please read TBDSPM first)

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

2068232 Eeyup, you're better qualified for writing a Bob Ross one shot than I am.

2068290 Maybe later, friend.. g'night!

The overflow easy soothing and delectable sounds of this music make me want to try acid.

I feel this music can help me ease into writing again. I only stopped today but I know I must continue.

Okay fuck this music makes me tired. I am not exaggerating, I was already tired from work today but now this music makes me want to sleep instead of writing.

Its just too calm.

Holy hell my eyes are heavy.

Yeah I think I'm just going to sleep now. Thanks for the music buddy.

Before I go to sleep, can you tell me where to download this music. I would like to nod off to this at night.

I've been listening to this all day.

It's very good. Thank you.

2067867 Thanks for the nice tip!
My brain somehow made me obey your tip without me even noticing for quite some time now. I used to listen to rather heavy music, but whenever I started writing it actually annoyed me, so I looked up other stuff. Nowadays, my playlist consists mostly of liquid drum and bass, chillstep and various nuances of new age music and folk!

I don't exactly know what you meant by mind stimulating games, but what helps me is programming. Whenever I bang my head against a wall looking for words, writing code instead gets my brain working again.

2068477 Just a little tip if you want more of this music, there are various online radio stations with it. Heck, one's even called "Ambient Sleeping Pill"! Check it out.

I've found that a long, hot shower makes for a better brainstorming session than music, but maybe that's just me.

2067867 I listened to the first minute of that. It's very effective :rainbowderp:

Piquo Pie
Group Contributor

Actually research has shown that the reason people come up with good ideas in the bathroom is that an organized environment helps creativity. Hence a shower can make it easier to think. Add in the ambient sounds and meditative rhythm on your scalp and it becomes quite a common experience.

2737664 I am not at all surprised that that has been studied. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Don't these scientists have something better to do?

Piquo Pie
Group Contributor

Not really, there is a lot of research and figuring out what makes us tick does help humanity.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26