School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,625 stories
Comments ( 52 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 52
Goldenwing
Group Admin

Spoiler alert: This is really long! TL;DR at the bottom!

Oh, hai guys! I was just walking by, and I saw this building with a sign out front that said "Help Wanted," so I came in and there's this computer here so I guess I'll write something. Also I found this sticky note on the keyboard. It says "Klondike Approves." Whatever that means.

So, I found this paper with a list of all the lectures from this place, and I couldn't help but notice that there is a disturbing lack of lectures on OCs! Or at least serious ones on OCs. As a rather proud writer of OCs, myself, I think I'll rectify that with a bit on Creating Deep and Believable OCs.

I'm going to structure this as a step-by-step instruction set (rhymes! kind've...) on how I make an OC, when I really want to make a good, real character. An important thing to keep in mind when you're making a character is that they have, and have had, a life. They're not strange extra-dimensional beings that just woke up as they are and waltzed into your story. Unless they are. But that is for another day.

Like those same ponies that we love to write about, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and the rest of the cast mane, side, and background, they've lived a whole life to get to where they are. They don't exist in a vacuum. They have a history, parents, memories that make them cringe, dreams they've strived for, relationships, and problems. Your character does not exist solely in your story. They also exist in all time before and after it. Well, until they die.

But enough with this rambling preamble. On to step one. It's probably a good idea to keep in mind what purpose you intend to use your character for.

Ask yourself, what is this character's talent?
Every pony in Equestria has a talent. It is without a doubt their most important feature, which sits at the very core of their personality. Some people would say that the cutie mark is the most important feature, but said mark is derived from the talent, and that talent is there long before the mark. You cannot make a pony if you do not know their talent, because then you do not know them.

Take for example, Stormslider, from my story Omega. Her talent is cloud manipulation, specifically working with the advanced networks of thunderclouds that make up a thunder reactor. Her entire being, from her calm, calculating personality to her blue-dominated color scheme is constructed around that talent.

Step two!

Ask yourself, what is this character's history?
Now that we know the one thing that is part of a pony from birth, it's time to figure out everything after that. What were your OCs parents like? What jobs did they have? Did your OC have a good family life? Was she an only child? Is she from a long lineage? Questions like this add depth. Soon your character will have memories of running the mail route with mom, or become uncomfortable around loud happy families due to her relatively disconnected one. Is she proud of her family, or embarassed?

What was your character's foalhood like? Who was her best friend? A person's childhood is when much of their personality takes form. If you don't know the details of the most important formative years of your character's life, how can you write her? Go wild. Come up with your character's life story before you write your story, and you'll find that you have a deep, real character on your hooves.

Take Stormslider, for example. She was born in Cloudsdale as an only child, to a weather stallion and a business mare. She was mostly alone as a child, and spent a lot of time with her dad at the weather factory, which is where she discovered her talent. Later she enrolled in the Royal Aerial Academy, where she graduated at the top of her class and met her best friend, Silver Feather, in a game of cloudball. MEMORIES ABOUND.

Step three!

Ask yourself, what are this character's hopes and fears?
Is it not your character's horn that shall pierce the heavens!?

Here we start getting more into the present with your character. What does she hope for? Does she dream of one day reaching out with her drill to pierce the heavens? Perhaps simply to settle down with the perfect family? Maybe to explore the very edges of the known world? If your character has no hopes or dreams, then what is she doing living? Once you know what your character wants, you know how she will act. You cannot write a character's actions if you do not know what the character is striving to achieve.

Fears! What makes your character cringe in terror? Does she have a phobia of crowds? Does the thought of drowning to death make her shake in her horseshoes? With hopes you know what a character strives to achieve, and with fears you know what your character strives to avoid.

With this question, you know how your character will act when presented with the situation in your story. You know what she will strive to do, and what she will strive to achieve. Whenever your character makes a choice, you should remember that these motives will be in the back of her mind, influencing her decision.

Once again, we return to Stormslider. Her dream is simple: she wishes to live a simple life, working with the clouds that she so loves to work with. Her fear? That she will end up alone, like when she was a filly, with nothing but time and emptiness to fill her life.

Step four!

Ask yourself, where is your character's faith?
And no, I don't mean religion.

This is something which I don't think many writers take into account, at least not within the fandom. It came to me when I was watching Dr. Who, (that one with that minotaur that eats people's faith or something) and saw how this affected the characters. Those of you who have seen that episode will probably understand this better.

Basically, with this question you ask what your character falls back on when everything else is taken from her. When she is alone against insurmountable odds, what does she put her faith in? When you know this, you begin to gain a much deeper understanding of your character's... uh, character, and what really makes her tick. Examples explain this best. I'll pull some from my writing.

Stormslider puts her faith in herself, and in her intelligence. She believes that when all else fails, she can work a solution out on her own.
Silver Feather, an airship pilot, has faith in his ability to fly a ship. When all else fails, he believes that he can outfly any other being alive, and that as long as he's at the helm of a ship, he is untouchable.
Ember, a mechanic that's a bit too attached to machines, puts her faith in machinery. She believes that when everypony else is gone and she's the only one left, she can always rely on the machines that she cares for, no matter what. They would never leave her.

If any one of these character's were to get in a situation where they called on their faith and it failed them, they would practically break. Stormslider would begin to doubt herself until she could no longer function independently. Silver Feather would go into outright denial, possibly right up to his death. Ember would become a shell, withdrawing into herself with the belief that she could rely on nothing in the world.

When you know your character's faith, you know what it takes to break them.

Almost done. Step five!

Ask yourself, what is your character's personality?
Honestly, if you've answered the previous questions well you'll find that this one practically answers itself. Most new authors limit themselves to this question in its entirety, even for protagonists and important characters, when its really just the surface. I think you can probably figure this one out without help from me.

Step six!

Add a little more depth.
Now for the little things. Hobbies, pet peeves, habits, and quirks. The little odd points that everyone develops over time. Maybe your character has to eat ten pieces of candy a day or she becomes insufferable? Maybe she insists on paying back gifts with gifts of exact equal value? Maybe she is obsessed with muffins? Maybe she can't stand the taste of apples, or is disgusted by the color green?

These little things smooth the edges on a well-structured and thought out character and turn them into believable, real people. The little things matter just as much as the big.

Step seven! We're practically there already!

How does your character look?
Now that we have your new OCs entire character spread out before us, and we truly know who she is, we can decide how she looks. In the world of ponies, looks are often entirely reliant on personality, and as such you'd best determine looks after you know your character inside and out. Cool colors like blue and grey go with calm personalities, while the more hot-blooded characters ("Who the hay do you think I am!?") tend to have warm or bright ones (LIKE RAINBOW). Style manes and tails appropriately, and make sure everything matches.

Then there is the cutie mark. The image which must somehow take the answers to all the questions you just asked yourself and pack it into a little doodle. This one is up to you. I cannot help you here, as each character is unique. After all the answers you've just given, you should be well-prepared.

Finally, the final step!

What is your character's name?
At last. We have before us a deep, rounded, real original creation of a pony. All the remains is the name. The little bow that you tie up the package with. Once again, I can't help you there. Though I believe there is another lecture which covers this subject...

Wow, look at the time! Look at the length! Look at the words! This is unbelievably long... well, a few main points to sum things up.

- Remember your character has a past as well as a future.
- Remember that your character is motivated by fears and hopes.
- Remember that the talent is the central part of a pony's character.
- Remember that every character puts their faith in something.
- Remember, the code word is "Scootabuse."
- Remember that the cutie mark, name, and look of a pony comes after everything else.
- Remember to tie your OC's character into their history.

Well, that'll be all! I know it was long, but I couldn't really come up with any shorter way to properly explain it all, and I put a lot of thought into my OCs. Of course, you don't have to go through this whole process with EVERY SINGLE character you make. Generally, the less significant (and less screen time) a character has, the higher up the steps you can begin.

Oh, btw I'm working here now.

Golden out!

Most importantly, your OC must be sexy. :duck:

I shall favorite this page and use it every time I make an OC! Huzzah!

1377170 I really like your mane!... I mean, I like your attitude! You seem fun. Welcome to the team, and nice lecture by the way.

Thanks for the advice! It really helps me for the fic I'm writing. :twilightsmile:

This is some excellent stuff! :twilightsmile:

I really enjoyed that you made this a thing because I feel OC characters are made randomly and without full details, so I really appreciate this.

Also, scootabuse:raritywink:

Goldenwing
Group Admin

That is the one step that even I sometimes forget to include.

1377200>>1377220>>1377220>>1377204
Oh, you flatter me. Stop it, you.

Excellent, the subliminal messaging is working.

1377344 :ajbemused: No. I won't stop. :pinkiesmile:

Takes deep breath.

YOU'RESOAWESOMEILOVEYOUYOU'RETHEBESTLECTURERINTHEHISTORYOFLECTURERS! :pinkiehappy:

1377192 But what if it's a stallion?!

Vell, vell. Very gut artikle, I must say! You have done some eeeeexcellent vork here tuday. And I would have to say, the answer! Is quiiiiiite clear. *cue music* All you want is a dinkle~
Whoops, wrong series.

In any case though, very good article! It's truly a joy to read (although I myself of course am above creating nonsensical OCs :trollestia: ) and it gives some excellent pointers. The thing with the coat colors was something I did not realize yet and I will be careful to watch out for it in the future.
So, remember kids! You can't spell 'character' without 'three dimensional'!

Saying stallions can't be sexy?!

I see a flaw here.

What if your OC isn't pony?

No offense but for someone like myself who doesn't use pony OC's is most of this really helpful?

I can get that you would mostly skip a step or two here but if this advice is for OC's then shouldn't it be more open to all OC's instead of just Ponies?

It helps yes but think.

What would you do for a Timber wolf, or dragon, A griffon like Jackleapp's?

It is all generically different for each one so if this lecture is for OC's wouldn't it be better to help those with different creatures in mind as well?

This is seriously good stuff though.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Then remove step one and modify steps seven and eight accordingly. Booyah!
I considered adding notes for non-pony OCs, but decided it would be unnecessary, as the core concepts remain the same.

Hay, the vast majority of my characters are non-pony, and I have an all-OC cast. (Well, actually most of them are kind've half-pony...)

Mines a mole dog or I call her race that. She's a cousin of the diamond dogs.

She wants to write literature but can't. Her handwriting is amazing her letter making is horrible though considering she has to right using a a large black marker.

Hence the scribble-ish markings on her arms.

And I just wasted 2 minutes writing something that's not on the main topic here.

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

A most excellent lecture, my good sir. Here, have a congratulatory SFNW mustache :moustache:. Don't spend it all in one place.

1377344 Activate: Submit Protocol :rainbowderp:

Goldenwing
Group Admin

The bird flies at midnight.

1379065 Oh, the bird will fly :raritywink:. It crows at dawn

Awesome.
I realize that I was doing most of this and taking my OCs in the right direction but some things I just waltzed over because idunno, I just did and now I have to correct myself on that.

I think that my current OCs are pretty awesome. Now, if I only had the skill to make them look that awesome.:ajbemused:

Edit: that's a lot of awesome

Another edit: shit dis painful.
I noticed this

- Remember that the cutie mark, name, and look of a pony comes after everything else.

I build mine from the toys, as in taking one of the brushables or blindbags and their profiles and expand upon them, would reversing part of the order of the progress affect the character in your opinion?

Goldenwing
Group Admin

O hai. Sorry for delayed response, but, y'know. Didn't get a notification for the edit.
Anywho...

I build mine from the toys, as in taking one of the brushables or blindbags and their profiles and expand upon them, would reversing part of the order of the progress affect the character in your opinion?

It most certainly does.
The look and name of a pony is representative of their character; a good OC has a look and name that complements their personality and history. If you make an OC from scratch, then you can freely form those deeper parts of her character, and them build a look and name that complement it well. It makes for a clean and complete package.

If you start with a toy, however, then the look and name and to some degree even the talent are already decided for you. This is the reverse process: instead of making a character and wrapping it in a complementary appearance, you're taking an appearance and filling it with a character. This limits you as a writer; you cannot break out of the mold without harming the creative integrity of the OC.

Basically, if you find a toy that looks like you could neatly write it into a role you need, then there's no need to worry. Sure, you may be limited by the toy, but you're limited within the range that you need and as a bonus don't need to worry about those outward aspects. However, if you grab some random toy willy nilly to fill whatever role you need, then you may find that your character's pieces don't fit together quite right.

Cool.
Given how some profiles handle themselves, breaking the mold is a must though.
At times it's almost the same as making a character from scratch.

I mean

SNOWCATCHER has a talent for catching snowflakes on her tongue—they tickle as they melt!

Fucking seriously?:rainbowhuh:

Made the bitch an ice queen. Niggas love dem ice queens.

This was a very good and interesting lecture. While I do most of these things, I'll probably make references whenever I should feel the need to make a new character.
Good job!

Ah, thanks.

I find that I've done a good few of these steps, though several I've attempted in the 'wrong' order. As an example, I'm in the process of choosing my OC's talent to mesh with her personality.

So yes, I'll strain my character-related notes through what you've written here.

1377170 This helped me cap off my OC as a solid character. Thanks!

My OCs share the talent of having no real special talent.
They're all normal, middle class Ponyville citizens who dream too big and achieve too little.
They kinda suck, all in all.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

It's there any individual in reality that can be considered normal? Normalcy is a social construct which represents an average; your average "normal" person ceases being normal the instant they're alone or among friends.

"Normal" characters are not interesting.

Furthermore, ponies without talents go very far against MLP concepts. They're mostly by far just edgy for the sake of it. Avoid them unless you know what you're doing

Oh, believe me, these guys are far from edgy.

I don't understand number 4. What do you mean by faith?

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Could you be a bit more specific about what you're confused about? By "faith" I'm referring to what a character feels they can always rely on.

Oh. That makes sense. As a Christian my understanding of the word faith is different than the way you're using it. That answered my question, I think. So, if my OC believes that her sister can get her out of anything, then she has faith in her sister?

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Yes. And if that character was to call on her sister, and her sister was to fail her, then that character's entire world view would be dislodged.

Thanks for this awesome advice!

Hi er I could use help with my oc because I made him a long time ago and I've been struggling with creating a history for him particularly the fact when I made him when I was 16 and I had no clue how to make a oc so he's a bit op been trying to tone that down for 9yrs now but I've also been struggling with his backstory and his talent mostly becuasek don't have a fixed background apart from 4 things number 1 he is bound to 4 elemental demons number 2 said demons have given him a elf like lifespan where he can die but he ages slowly and thus he was born around the time Luna was banished (yup that old lol) 3 he is hard to kill because of the demons give him part of there respective powers with limits to them but it makes him hard to kill and he heals slowly over time and lastly he has a house in hell and can freely travel to the living world after dying but only after a few years from when he had died and lastly he doesn't have a cutimark as he's a jack of all trades and just does what he needs to live a life in peace without fighting but over the years he's fought in wars both against demons and non demons and has often gave up a life he has built by using his abilities to save the lives of others or by repaying a old debt to a descendent of one that saves his life in the past but over time he forgot his childhood but his demons have not and they try to help remind him when they can.

But barring the obvious stuff he's also a really complex character that I've been diving into I mean he's lost so much over time that he's become broken other times he's given into his rage and truly unleashed his power others he's spent years as a drunk to forget his past or giving his life for others that I e reached a point I don't know where to place them in a fic

Can someone help me make my OC, Odium into a deep, believable and interesting character, please?

Cryosite
Group Contributor

Did you read the lecture or are you asking for someone to basically repeat the lecture entirely for your entertainment?

Oh. Sorry about that. While I do understand what the lecture is saying, I'm still having trouble coming up with a good foundation for Odium. Which is disappointing since I've made great Sonic OCs before. Not that I mean to brag, though. My Sonic OCs are Sid the Hero and Ominous.

Cryosite
Group Contributor

Ask yourself, what is this character's talent?
Every pony in Equestria has a talent. It is without a doubt their most important feature, which sits at the very core of their personality. Some people would say that the cutie mark is the most important feature, but said mark is derived from the talent, and that talent is there long before the mark. You cannot make a pony if you do not know their talent, because then you do not know them.

How does this not answer your question? Explain what your confusion is. You understand the lecture but you're still having some vague sort of issue. We can't help you if we don't understand what that issue is.

Sorry about that. The issue I have is that I'm trying to make a bipedal non-pony antagonist OC who has a very tragic backstory and motive for hating the Mane Six and their actions due to seeing most, if not all, of their adventures throughout the series, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a good and unique tragic backstory that just as tragic as Spinel's from Steven Universe: The Movie. I'm also having a hard time trying to make him unique in general with a new talent, personality, appearance, etc. Sorry if I'm being too vague or if this is too much for me to ask. Also, what do you think of my Sonic OC's?

Cryosite
Group Contributor

I am not interested in Sonic nor Steven Universe. My opinion on either is irrelevant and wouldn't be kind if you pressed me for it.

The issue I have is that I'm trying to make a bipedal non-pony antagonist OC who has a very tragic backstory and motive for hating the Mane Six and their actions due to seeing most, if not all, of their adventures throughout the series

Here you have a start. The important part here is that they have a motivation based on seeing the actions of the M6. What has the M6 done that has upset this character? Ignore the backstory for now. Your character is an antagonist, and this is their motivation to oppose the (presumably) M6. Don't worry about why he is upset, just what makes him upset. You can worry about the why and stuff in a later step.

Since your character isn't a pony, the first step in the lecture doesn't fit perfectly. However, it is still useful as a starting point. What is the central motivation for your character? In the case of a pony, in a general sense and likely as a protagonist, it will probably revolve around her cutie mark. In the case of your antagonist, it's why he's opposed to the protagonist(s).

Even if he doesn't have a cutie mark, figure out what kind of talent he has. What is his job? What is he good at. Again, don't worry about why. We're in Step One. Your focus here should be that his job/talents/etc. make sense for the setting. There aren't really mercenaries in Equestria nor assassins nor necromancers. A fast-food customer service/cashier type might have reason to be upset by the M6. Maybe they don't tip well. Maybe they ran off after a monster and didn't pay. Maybe they complained about cold food when they came back after beating up the monster. The important part here is that his job makes sense for the setting, and is something the readers will be familiar with and/or interested in.

Once you've figured this out, go back up to the lecture. You'll see that Step Two is history. And so on.

What do you think?

What if the antagonist showed pure hatred towards the Mane Six because of every wrong thing they did in the past that fans have shown resentment towards. For example, Twilight blaming the Cutie Mark Crusaders and kicking them out of the School of Friendship, Fluttershy's little tirade against Rarity and Pinkie Pie, etc., as well as their berserk buttons like Twilight whenever it comes to her books or when Spike says that it's just a test.

So it's not exactly something they did to him that filled him with anger and hatred towards them, but it's what they did to others that made him this way.

Cryosite
Group Contributor

So your antagonist is super judgemental and hates others for not being perfect?

Actually, it's because nopony else took offense to their behavior and they end up endlessly forgiving each other for actions that could horrify others out of context. Also, there are others that the antagonist thinks deserves it too. Like Starlight and Discord for their own crimes, especially Discord in The Ending of the End episode.

erm hi i really liked this its very helpful and insightful would it be ok to talk more about kc creation with you in pm as mine is complicated and is like 5 in one and ive never giving the other 4 much thought abd could use some help if its ok

I've finally created my own OC antagonist for MLP FIM. I know you might not like him, but I really want to know your opinion on him.
Here's his wiki page: Odium

Cryosite
Group Contributor

Isn't this the same character as before?

I think so. Did you take a look at his page? If so, what do you think?

Cryosite
Group Contributor

I don't find him particularly interesting. I'm not sure why you want to know that from me in particular though.

What makes him so uninteresting and what can I do to fix it?

Cryosite
Group Contributor

Why do you want to create a character that caters to my specific tastes?

Him not being interesting to me isn't something you fix. Because that's not a mistake. My preferences aren't objective quality facts.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 52