School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,620 stories
Comments ( 31 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 31

Hello there! I'm TehAlphaGamer, I'm sure I don't need any introduction (Check the Introductions: Get to Know Your Favorite Professor thread if you haven't seen mine). I'm our newest addition to our staff, but you can simply call me Alpha for short.

Anywho, I decided that I should do a lecture for a good start. And, since I have a bit of experience with them, I decided that we need a lecture on antagonists!

Now, you may be asking why someone would need such a talk, but it's actually quite simple: Without a proper antagonist, your story will fail.

There are two major characters in any piece of literature: The Protagonist and the Antagonist. The Protagonist is usually your main character, they usually pose as the good-guy, and are usually the one who save the day or overcome any said Antagonist. The antagonist is the opposite, sometimes, though, with stories like Cheerilee's Garden, the Antagonist ends up being the main character. Either way, they're bad, always causing some type of detriment to one or more characters.

Now, let me go more in-depth with the antagonists, as there are two main kinds that branch into their own sub-categories: Physical and Conceptual. Physical antagonists are usually what you would call a "Villain", these are physical entities, usually an organism, that wish nothing more than to rain on your quaint, little tea party. In the FiM universes, an example of a Physical Antagonist would be Queen Chrysalis, or Discord. They're all evil to an extent in their own little ways. I myself am writing a story, the main character is Ridley, the recurring boss in the Metroid series. This type of antagonist also follows into two more sub-categories: Direct and Indirect.

A Direct Antagonist causes a problem by their selves, hence the term "Direct." They intentionally cause a series of problems by themselves, once again, in the FiM universe, this would be the three prime villains the show has had: Nightmare Moon, Discord, and Chrysalis.

An Indirect Antagonist is one that may not be that evil, but they cause a problem that causes a subsequent "Domino Effect" of sorts. They may have some sort of vessel that causes the problem for them. An example of this in the FiM universe would be one such as Trixie Lulamoon, whose boasting about vanquishing the Ursa Major/Minor causes her two closest followers, Snips and Snails, to awaken one, who goes to wreak havoc upon Ponyville until the protagonist, Twilight Sparkle, stops it.

Now, you would think I had forgotten about Conceptual Antagonists, right? Luckily, I haven't. A Conceptual Antagonist is an antagonist that is merely a concept, a thought, or anything in that category. It is a villain that isn't a physical manifestation of anything, it's just...well...a concept. A thought that drives somepony to madness would be a great example of a Conceptual Antagonist.

Now, they're as common (And as nice to have around) as a swarm of locusts, but they must be brought up in this scenario: Human in Equestria fanfictions.

Now, for the occasional normal HiE, where the main character (Or you, if it's a self-insert) actually cares about their life on Earth, one of the antagonists would be the fact that the main character (Or you) is/are stuck in Equestria, and can't get to Earth. Once again giving an example of the FiM universe, when Twilight Sparkle is driven to near-insanity after becoming tardy, the antagonist would be that anxiety she has, the fact that she was tardy.

Now, you have down the basic versions of an antagonist, so let me lay down some rules:

1. Powering. Do not overpower your Antagonist. Don't make it so it completely takes over unless you intend to make the story grimdark. It's best to specify if it is at the beginning, or else people will be angry with you. Not everyone likes a grimdark story, so it makes them a bit upset to be slapped across the face like that.

2. Credibility. While it may not be the same case for the Protagonist, the possibilities for what an Antagonist can be are (Quite literally) endless. Only, there's one catch: Make it believable. Readers like variety, but what readers don't like are incredulously ridiculous antagonists. For example; a giant, evil, walking, talking tree. It's actually a mythological creature known as an "Ent", so it's not really that outlandish as one may think, therefore it comes out as a more plausible antagonist. An example of an unreal one is a talking cheese-wedge that commands an army of spaghetti warriors, unless you want people to think you're writing a trollfic, don't have that.

3. Elaborate (This mainly applies to Physical Antagonists). While it's mainly about the main character(s), the villain also has thoughts and feelings, too. We want to know what is going through their heads while they're tormenting, taunting, and otherwise hurting the heroes.

These are the three main rules, be sure to follow them, and you'll make the antagonist as followable and likable as the main protagonist :raritywink:

I gave the antagonist in my stories the ability to destroy universes indirectly. It's Discord, as original as that is. Needless to say, it gets bad, really bad. Fortunately, he doesn't mean to kill anyone, and it's all part of his games. He gives the protagonist and his crew time to save the universes he targets, for the amusement of those tasked with doing so. They don't have fun.
So it appears I've overpowered him, but given him personal limits as to what he will and will not do. Hmm. A very informative post.

eeeyup, my Antagonist is a borderline grimdark. BUT, it's at the ending where things get better.

So I'm glad my antagonist isnt overpowered enough, in fact, he actually gives the protagonists their gifts...

...just to get a good laugh. Of course, they find a different way to defeat him, but I like a slap in the face every now and then with stories.

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

And now I do the lecture on the Protagonist and the Monomyth.

Thank you for explaining my role flawlessly.

I'm coming up with a story where the antagonist is literally overpowered as buck. Like, the Princesses' power combined. But, through a chain of many events, the power gets lowered. But, even in the climax, they're still pretty damn powerful. It'll give a bit of suspense of who they even are in the first place, since I don't straight-up say it until halfway through the story, though there some hints until then, so some readers will be like, "I knew it." while others are like, "How could I not see that coming?!"

XiF

340465 It'll be pretty obvious if you're using a show's antagonist.
Also, how do sine?

340470 But it isn't a canon antagonist... it's original... And you sine by failing by being horrible at typing :applejackunsure:

340477 GOD DAMN TRIGONOMETRY!

I see the chat thread is gone, so I'mma make this for the hell of it.

I wonder if anyone remembers me...It's been a mighty long time, more people have joined, times have passed. For those who do read this, you may wonder who I am.

My name is, as you can see, my name is TehAlphaGamer, I was a professor here some months ago, a harsh critic, I had an issue a while ago with internet security and my family, and, because of that, I've been forced to avoid MLP. I do, secretly, keep in touch, though. I thought that, before I leave with one final wave of the hoof (Perhaps.), I will write one review.

Some staff-man that remembers me, give me a link to a story, and I'll tear that sun'bitch to shreds like I used to do.

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

532255 Holy shit, it's Alpha! If you've just got back, there have been a few, ahem, changes, to the way we do things. We no longer tear people new assholes, as an entire group got deleted for doing just that. (Our biggest competitors, mind you.) So we're going with a gentler approach to avoid the wrath of knighty.

532255 hey look you didn't implode or spotaneously combust for absolutely no reason

XiF

532255 :::::::::::::::::::DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDASVDm lndgklleawc;l'mk ;,.LDKCfc

Say your antagonist is an object like Jack of blades mask from Fable The lost chapters what type of antagonist is that?

My good fellow, I haven't the faintest idea as to what you're referring to. Unfortunately, I haven't played Fable. So I really can't have an answer to that.

600376 Ok say the Elements of harmony the necklaces and crown thing all were your enemy. what type of antagonist is that.

"Holy shit, it's Alpha!"
:twilightsmile:

"...there have been a few, ahem, changes, to the way we do things."
:rainbowhuh:

"We no longer tear people new assholes,"
:raritydespair:

You have no idea how long it's been since I've used those emotes. Regardless, perhaps you're right, but I still feel like going on a bit of an irate rant individually on a story. Unless those face Knighty's bangavelhammer, too.

XiF

600383 Welcome back, bro.

612492 Yea something like that.

I guess that's what you'd call it.

Everybody *c*happy in Russialand! Huehuehuehue.

Anyways, my appearance may still be vague, as I'm still under restrictions, so I gotta be all secretive and sneaky and stuff.

>your mobile
Please tell me you have one.
Please.

That is a physical antagonist, even though thee EoH are based off of the appeal, per se, of its user. Like how Fluttershy's is friendship or how Pinkie's is laughter. Since it's still an outer force, and a divine one at that, given that it was created by a deity, it's physical.

That was the exact same reason I got banned from 'da pernies, so, no, I'm sorry.

338096 >a talking cheese-wedge that commands an army of spaghetti warriors
Do want :moustache:

Comment posted by iloveportalz0r deleted May 16th, 2013

If I tell my story from the perspective of the antoganist, does that make her the protagonist of that story?

Cryosite
Group Contributor

Despite some of the errors presented in the lecture, it's very simple. You have four words that are often related to each other, but mean different things.

Protagonist. This is the main character of your story, or group of main characters. They're the one(s) which the story's point of view is told by. The conflicts in the story are ones they overcome (or fail to overcome in a tragedy). Unlike what the professor said, this is not "often" this is "always." If they're the main character of your story, they're the protagonist. It's simply a piece of story anatomy.

Hero. This is a good guy. Does noble, moral, righteous things. Most stories use a hero as their protagonist. Even if the story explores morally gray things, usually there is an attempt to make the protagonist more or less "right" by the end.

Antagonist. This is the force of opposition to the protagonist. It is a piece of story anatomy. No matter what the morals are of the story, whatever represents the conflict and forces at work against your protagonist, the antagonist is what you call it.

Villain. Opposite of a hero. The bad guy. Evil. Does mean stuff.

A villain can be your protagonist, just as a hero can. A villain is often the antagonist. An antagonist cannot be your protagonist, the two words are opposite in meaning. Hero/villain is open to interpretation though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 31