Protect Celestia 1,946 members · 1,762 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

“Si vis pacem, para bellum.” Said Luna, again Cadence sensed a bit of a perk in Luna’s emotions. “A human saying. If one wishes for peace, they must prepare for war.”

How do you think Celestia would feel about this? If someone told her about this, what would she do/say?

She’d be sad but would understand since not everything can be solved through peace.

Veylon #3 · Jun 7th, 2017 · · 1 ·

If she’s been running a country for a thousand years, then I’m sure she’s familiar with the concept and a dozen versions of the expression. That the humans have it as a saying would tell her that they attack each other often and for little reason beyond the opportunity provided by weakness and have done so long enough to keep the saying alive in Latin for two millenia. If they didn’t or hadn’t, the saying would be new or else the old warlike saying would be forgotten amongst all the other old forgotten stuff the Romans said. She’d have to dig up her toolbox of methods to manipulate cynical warmongers.

I think she would consider it a platitude or thought-terminating cliché - the kind of thing one says to over-simplify something that is in reality very complicated. I don’t think she would necessarily disagree, but I suspect she would find the saying itself to be simultaneously cynical and naive.

Celestias Paladin
Group Admin

She I think will be sadden that it is true, but she will prepare none the less.

I'm afraid that she would be familiar with the cold hard truth, but will fight nonetheless.

‘We have to fight those who threaten our freedom and way of life, just as we did in the war ’

You like it or not, some people are too evil, crazy or rotten to even negociate or reason with. And war and violence might be the only option.

When I think of this, I tend to think of the Batman and Joker. The Joker is a completely evil monster, not only does he shows zero chance of redemption, but no cure has ever worked on him. He has zero regards of any human life and threat them as disposable toys, it doesn’t matter if you throw him to prision, he’s gonna escape and cause chaos and misery.

I think Celestia won’t be exactly happy about it, but she knows that sometimes it’s necesary.

Well, they have the royal guard and the Wonderbolts so she should be quite familiar with the concetp.

Wouldn't bat an eye. If you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you.

Goodness is worth shedding blood to protect, if necessary.

She has a standing army so she’s clearly no pacifist. She’d agree with it.

She's ruled an empire for over a thousand years! You can't do that without being prepared for war.

But, isn't her army completely useless?

But, isn't her army completely useless?

If it were: Equestria would have fallen long ago. You don't maintain an empire for a thousand years, by having a useless military.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14