The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,457 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

Straight to the point. I have one or two scenes in my story that would be considerd gory, and that's it. Nothing else really gets too dark. So tell me, is it still appropriate to put the gore tag on?

1216147 Depends on how gory they are.

Yep. Gore is gore. Same deal with the sex tag. If it's in there, label it.

Yes, but just say in the description where it is exactly.

I would say depends on how long your story is despite these scenes. If not very long, yes, if novel-length, no. But it also depends on just how gory we're talking here...

A pony's lifeless body hangs by a rope in the middle of town, and the ones responsible wrote a meesge on the wall with her blood.

1216174 yeah, that's not too bad.

If there's only a little dog shit in your chocolate chip cookie, do you leave off the label that says "contains dog shit"? :rainbowlaugh:

1) Is the story long? If yes, you may not need the gore tag but a warning. If no, put the gore tag in.
2) Is the scene long? If yes, you probably need the gore tag. If no, a warning might be it.

If the answers are yes-no, put a warning.
If the answers are no-yes, no-no, or yes-yes, put a gore tag.

A changeling's blood oozing out from a boulder she was crushed under?

It's a bit long. The worst is in the comment I made earlier up here. ^ The first one

1216211 It's a matter of perspective really. Some readers might have a soft stomach for such things, and think a bloody nose would be gory. Others might think putting griffons in a blender is weak sauce compared to what they think gore is.

Better to have the gore tag on there and let people decide for themselves if it is gory or not. Better than not having it on there, then getting bitched at for not tagging the story right.

1216147 The way I understand the tagging system is it comes down to one real question; is it a central theme? If no, then tag the chapter. If yes, then tag the story.

1216147 Sorry for the late response...
Anyway, if it's just a small scene that has gore, I'd recommend writing it in a way that doesn't describe the gore, so then you wouldn't need the tag. Unless showing the reader that the gore is there is important to the story, in which case, use the gore tag outright.

Having just one gory scene might seem out of place in your story, so take in to consideration the tone you want to achieve and stick with that :twilightsmile:

I've dealt with times of death, loss, and fighting in my 'Everyone' tagged Adventure story. It just takes a bit of clever word-choice, and skirting around the obvious.

Best of luck to you,
~SilentBelle

That's for the big tags. the little tags (sex, gore) are more to warn people that can be potentially offended/easily embarrassed/weak stomach to tread carefully.

1218398 Hmm, well then, I guess I'm just a rule breaker then. Not that I use them...
* I've placed exactly one 'minor-gore' warning, on exactly one chapter, so...yeah...

Luminary
Group Contributor

Unless there's soaking pools of blood to wade through, I wouldn't tag gore just for what you describe.

If you start to talk about exposed viscera, or elaborate physical torture? Then, yeah.

So my examples above are not that bad?

Luminary
Group Contributor

Nah.

I think most people are essentially desensitized to blood. It's anything worse than generally warrants a warning.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19