Fallout Equestria 5,366 members · 2,614 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

So, there were a couple of threads dedicated to FoEfiction cliches and such. But when I've watching this exact group's story folders, I noticed that most of them were going to be with multiple chapters and probably copying the original FoE in one way or several. Why it is so? Are these long heroic (or not) adventures so crucial to FoE? How much people here are interested and oneshots and would not one of mine be met with complete silence and indifference just because it is not yet another wasteland adventure everybody wants to read?

I quite like oneshots. Tried to write one in the FoE universe about Littlepip's mom the day after when she found out her daughter had left. It seemed like it would have been pretty well recieved.

Heroic adventures aren't necessarily crucial to Fo:E but they just work well. The problem comes from the genre of storytelling we're in. Post-apocalyptic stories have always had the draw back of having only two real lessons to their tales either they believe that the world can be save because [Insert Species] is inherently good or the world will always fail because everyone is horrible, traditionally speaking of course. The journey stories work because it allows to writer to explore more than just these two choice. Like how the original Fo:E story dealt with addiction, love, government and racism. One shots will, in my opinion, always work in this type of storytelling but the plot needs to be detailed from start in finish due to the world that Kkat built.

On a side note, If you want to get your story read and above all the died tales in the folder just work on it. Update it as often as you can. First tale the story you want to tell then worry about people reading it. We're already in a category that folks don't necessarily like, so focus on telling a good story. That's all I got.

Hope that helped.

I love me a good oneshot. Epic tales tend to become stale after some dozen of repetitions of the same tropes over and over.
Write away, I would read it.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

I think the main reasons that you tend to see long multi-chapter stories in the Fallout: Equestria setting is because the setting itself is prime for longer adventures, and the original story serves as a solid example of such. Naturally, the first response many prospective writers will have upon seeing those two factors is to imagine a similarly long adventure. It's a setting that's ripe for major confrontations or long struggles, which lend themselves better to long stories than single isolated events. This is especially true if they include new places or take place in different times, where more new information has to be introduced, which means yet more words.

That said, there's nothing against one-shots. It's probably easier to write a multi-chapter Fallout: Equestria story, since the setting is well-suited for longer adventure stories, but you can still do contained one-shot stories in it. While there is certainly a leaning toward writing longer stories, I don't think there's any prejudice against reading shorter stories. It probably won't get the long-term following that the longer stories get over their lengthy runs, simply because those stories have a much longer period to pick up new readers or encourage discussion among existing readers, but I think people would read it all the same. It might even stand out for being different from the usual.

Edit: though as a note, there appear to be a lot more one-shot stories than completed multi-chapter stories, for what that's worth.

I write slice of life, so every chapter is essentially a one shot. I also write one shots. Tbh I'm mostly responded with crickets or even dislikes, not sure if it's the one shots, the fact it's oc or just my garbage writing but people do prefer longer stories with bad ass characters doing great adventures. Smaller, simpler stories of life in the wasteland aren't as popular, probably because it's boring.

The ABCs of Fallout Equestria are usually really good, and they're oneshots.

It's a hit and miss. Don't write for an audience, I say. Write for yourself first, the audience will follow.

I think that people also expect certain things from fanfiction, and they are pretty much the same the writers want to create. For example, in MLP everybody likes the Mane6, the so called magic of friendship and such like, so people want to get more of this and if you are not doing it, then a big part of audience is lost. Same for FoE and large postapocalyptic adventures (and also exploiting anon characters and memes): a lot of people like it, some want to read more and some get inspired to make more.

To the others: thanks for all the "don't care about being read" advices, but don't you think that it just hurts when your work earns nothing? So nothing that you can only guess what's wrong with it.

Well, there is already one, but it's in Russian. Are there any translators?

Well, there is already one, but it's in Russian. Are there any translators?

I can try. I translate my own scribblings quite often.

Atom Smash, I had not heard of that one yet, but it certainly piques my interest. I will have to look for it now.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

I think that people also expect certain things from fanfiction

Certainly. I imagine there is some advantage to matching that expectation, but just like OC-focused stories can and have worked quite well despite people generally looking for stuff featuring canon characters, a Fallout: Equestria story that isn't an epic adventure can work quite well, too. A well-written one-shot can do quite well, and the shortness can even be an advantage; not only does it mean it's less of an investment to read, it also means that it's not going to end up among the roughly two-thirds-plus of long stories that end up abandoned and unfinished.

thanks for all the "don't care about being read" advices, but don't you think that it just hurts when your work earns nothing?

If your main goal is to get lots of readers, then my advice would be to not write a Fallout: Equestria story. I love the setting (Obviously), but it's a niche within a niche. The audience is naturally going to be smaller, and a Fallout: Equestria story isn't going to get as many views as a more general MLP story. I'd generally only recommend writing a Fallout: Equestria story if your main goal is to write something you enjoy. If getting lots of readers is merely a side goal, then it could work, and writing a one-shot isn't going to significantly change your odds, but I still wouldn't bank on it.

I think the original FO:E set a precedent and folks just tend to go there with the idea. I've enjoyed lots of one shots in the FO:E universe, though, and I think others have too.

Thanks for the positivity, but I never managed to finish it, it was just about when I gave up on writing. Still now that I've got my muse back, I'd love to get back and look over my old work.

7361141 One problem with one-shots is that they've only got a minimal amount of run time on the front page. They can be really good, but if only a small amount of people are on when it posts then it doesn't matter how good it is because fewer people will see it. There are some great groups out there for increasing recognition, but at least as far as I've seen one-shots don't get a lot of viewership unless they make it into the featured box or are written by a well-followed author. The only one-shots that I've written that got any decent viewership, for example, were clopfics that got posted to the clopfic group.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13