Reviewers' Mansion 284 members · 653 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
EThis Is How I'll Remember
That snow globe Discord left lying around - who is it for, really?
Petrichord · 4.2k words  ·  172  4 · 1.5k views

This is How I’ll Remember

by Petrichord

Summary

Fluttershy wasn't expecting to find a snow globe in her closet; even if Angel Bunny pointed it out to her, it most certainly didn't come from him. The most obvious candidate is Discord, but if so - why is it there? Who is it for?

And why does the snow globe have a figure of her inside it, dancing amidst the perpetually falling snow?

Initial Thoughts

Cards on the table. I read this before it wound up in my folder. It’s now on my favorite’s list. And I left a comment:

You know how this will go.

SPOILERS

My General Reaction

Ten out of ten. Ten out of flipping ten. You saw my reaction above. Why are you still here? Go read!

But, to elaborate:

Angel and Fluttershy discover a strange object in her attic. A snowglobe, but one that features Fluttershy herself. Realizing Discord had something to do with this, Fluttershy asks him about it, and we get to see an extremely heartfelt, tender moment between the two as Discord explains himself and his creation.

Right off the bat, I adored this story. There’s a special balance to sad stories, or stories about death. Melancholy is expected, of course, but there must also be a little light, a little happiness or humor or… something, to balance out the sorrow. This story, I think, hits that balance expertly, however. And it does so while exploring a concept I’ve seen many Fluttercord writers talk about before; Discord’s immortal nature, and Fluttershy’s impermanence.

When you can live for thousands, and thousands, and thousands of years, what is a mere century or so? Nothing. Not really. So, it begs the question of how Discord can remain reformed if his one and only friend, the only reason he changed for the better at all, isn’t going to be around very long? I’ve seen many writers try to tackle this theme, some to greater success than others. None have done so at the level of mastery on display here.

This review… is gonna be real short. It’s hard to write about near-perfection, after all. The grammar was flawless. The pacing was ideal. And the characters were not just fully realized versions of their show-counterparts, but became elevated through their discourse and their discussion with each other in the story.

If you want a wonderful little schmaltzy romance featuring Discord and Fluttershy, this is it.

Grammar and Word Things

10/10 – No problems, free points
Flawless Victory.

Story/Plot/Pacing

10/10 – We could have danced all night…
A rather simple tale, in the broadest strokes. The mastery comes in how each step is delivered, crammed pack full of implications and connotations galore. A surface reading alone will delight, but reading deeper into the emotions of the piece will astound.

Characters

10/10 – Why are you breaking my heart!?
Each character is extraordinarily well-written, both exemplifying their show-characterizations and rising above them to deliver an emotional punch to the senses.

Final Word and Rating

10/10
This is How I’ll Remember You is a wonderful, wonderful bit of sad romance. Its characters are beautifully rendered, if a touch melancholy, and the events surrounding them are both believable and touching in all the right ways. The brilliance of this story lies in how it touches on so many topics while melding them into a coherent whole. Discord and Fluttershy’s romance has a shadow cast over it, but even in the inevitability of death, there is something timeless and beautiful about the entire thing.

Feel free to comment below.

<For Archive Purposes: 10/10>

Criminy, dude, I'm blushing.

Thank you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2