Reviewers' Mansion 284 members · 653 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Nailah
Group Admin
TSemi-Charmed Life
Fleur de Lis wants a taste of life outside the prim and proper walls of high society. Luckily, Spike is there to be her guide.
FamousLastWords · 15k words  ·  277  4 · 5.6k views

Summary: It's the night of the biggest fashion show of her career, yet all Fleur de Lis can think about is how she would rather be anywhere else. Just one night away from the prim and proper lifestyle she's surrounded by couldn't be so bad, could it?

Luckily, with Spike to chaperone her around town, she's able to see just how fun life can be.... at least for one night.

This review contains HEAVY SPOILERS. Proceed with caution. :coolphoto:

Initial thoughts: Alright, so today we have a romance with Spike and Fleur. Certainly a unique ship, and I do enjoy my crack ships. This story surprised me in a lot of ways. I wanted to give a concise review so I took notes, and read it through twice so I could really give my full analysis on this, because it really does deserve it. Famous is able to write Spike in a way that is refreshing, and is unlike anything we see from the show. The events of the story are at times a little bit silly, and over the top, but it all fits with the theme. I enjoyed this, and we shall dive into why it's good and why haven't you read this?
9/10

Heart of the story: Spike. The heart of this story is in it's characters and their relationship, but mostly it's a story about Spike being a good person. So often it can be hard to simply listen to some pony else's problems, and by simple being there for Fleur in her time of need, Spike is able to show her there's more to life than just modeling. And there might even be hints of something more. Nothing ever actually happens between the two officially, so the romance tag is a little misleading. You could technically label this as a Drama/SOL and it wouldn't change a thing for SpikexFleur never officially get together in this. But I don't feel that needed to happen. Sure it would have been a nice little bow on top, but the story isn't going for this.

This story is telling us a simple message: Help others. And you just might find yourself being surprised at how happy you can make another pony. And how that pony could look to you and want more than just advice, but friendship, hugs, and maybe kisses...

8/10

Plot/Concept: We already briefly discussed this in the "Heart of the story" so I'll keep this short. The plot is that Fleur is being fitted for a dress, and Rarity has to go get a ribbon. Leaving Fleur and Spike ALONE. That's how our story starts. Then more stuff happens with Fleur breaking down, and Spike being there. I'd tell you more, but you really should read the story. However, I can tell you the plot is solid, well executed, and there was really only one line that really stuck out to me as "not needed" Otherwise this was a refreshing break from the more not so good stories I've had to reivew.
7/10

Characterization: Spike: I really loved Famous's portrayal of Spike. So often Spike either gets forgotten or made to be the "dragon that gets all the mares" but in this story he is just himself. He's helpful, supportive, naïve, adorkable, and just overall he feels real. And that makes a good character. I like especially that his guilt helps drive his character in this piece, and really makes you sit back yourself and think. Flaws don't make a character weak, they can exchange the perspective and the view of the character, and I feel like Famous shows us this in his portrayal of Spike.
Fleur: Fleur never really got much actual characterization in the show, so she feels like a "background character" so her personality could be anything. I like her character, but I do feel this is an overused trope that the rich are always miserable. I mean I get why it's popular, and well used, but it just feels generic? But I do like how she grows alongside Spike and that helps build her to be more likable to me.

Rarity: What can I say? Rarity is full on "stress sewing" levels in this piece. It's overdramatic, overplayed, and used for a comedic tone. I'm surprised there was no comedy tag as all her lines are freaking hilarious and just made me roll my eyes.
9/10

Originality/Execution: This story is a crack-ship, and a story about Spike and inner growth as he is helping a mare in need. It may not be the most original thing out there, the execution is solid, moving, and thoroughly gripping. I read this all in one setting and couldn't stop. It was truly engaging, and a refreshing change of pace.
8/10

Overall thoughts: This story is a solid drama/SOL that focused on Spike and Fleur and how each character struggles, and how in turn that helps them to grow. There's hints of something more under the surface, but nothing ever actually happens romance wise, so I can't call it a "romance" by the definition. But I can say this was an enjoyable piece, and I recommend checking it out simply for the quality writing, and the excellent characterization.

Final Score: 9+8+7+9+8=41/50
8.2/10

Headpat worthy: Yes
Boop worthy:
Needs work:

To the author: Merry Christmas. <3
Also stop that self doubt. This is a good story, and I'll be sure to check out your others too.

To the reader: Highly Recommended for quality writing and excellcent characterization, and a good moral that ties it all together.

"<For archive purposes: 8.2/10>"

Thank you so much!!! This is better than I could have hoped for!

I'll definitely work on some of the criticisms you mentioned in your comments as well as trying to find new ways to take tropes and make them interesting. Thank you so so much for this. It's wonderful!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2