The School of Friendship: The Series 21 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Schools have schedules. Schools without schedules aren't, like, schools, they're anarchic communes for the vertically challenged, or something. I was giving some thought to the idea of class schedules. Way too much thought. I think I'd drive myself insane trying to create it as I would try to create a schedule that tries to bend to reality and give the Mane-6 days off to work their actual jobs while also coming up with distinct schedules for everyone and...yeah, too much,

But that way lies the sort of madness that the Crawling Chaos only wishes he could bring about, and it occurred to me that knowing the exact schedule of classes isn't as important as knowing who is going to be with who. And just as importantly, who Cozy Glow is going to be stuck with.

Here's some preliminary thoughts:

• First, yes, I know the Young Six seemed to always share a class in the show.
  • Cozy Glow should always share a class with the Young Six who shares an elemental association with the teacher. So Gallus and magic, Ocellus and generosity, Yona and honesty, etc.
  • Cozy Glow should be, at least in the first semester, not allowed in any advanced magic class (Moondancer's or Zecora's), since no one wants to run the risk of her learning imperio or something. She can chafe at this since she's "so far beyond 'essential' magic".
  • Rainbow Dash's PE class could have Smolder, Yona, and Ocellus as a group, since they seemed to share a like of cheerleading.
  • Autumn Blaze's theater class should be an elective, so not everyone is ever necessarily in it. Should Cozy be here? In any event I think I could make strong arguments for Ocellus, Sandbar, and Silverstream as part of it.

Hmm, unless there is any plot significance to the specific classes and classmates Cosy Glow has throughout the season, I think this is one aspect of her education which can be hand-waved aside the same way we understand that the Mane 6 somehow have enough time to teach and work their regular jobs simultaneously.

It'll be a rare reader who remembers which classes or students she's grouped with in between stories, I think. Most people should be able to accept whatever class grouping the author has set up for their particular story.

Well, I would think Ocellus at least would be in the theater class, seeing that, as a changeling, she would already have an almost unfair advantage at it. :rainbowlaugh:

Related thought: some school teachers have students that served as teacher's aides in their classes--since she would have such a natural skill at theater, could perhaps Ocellus be an ideal candidate for such a teacher's aide in Autumn Blaze's class? Maybe something that comes up during the course of the series, presented as a possibility to Ocellus? Heck, maybe we could expand this on to some of the others of the Young 6 too, but maybe that'd be pushing it...just spitballing though.

I approve of the idea that not all of the Young 6 are always going to be in the same class together all the time. It's something friends always try to do, of course, but sometimes scheduling conflicts can't make it happen. Besides, it can serve as a story-telling aide for us the writers, because then we can have a few in one class and the others in another class even at the same time if the story needs it, especially if we're telling stories with more than one plotline taking place together.

• Autumn Blaze's theater class should be an elective, so not everyone is ever necessarily in it. Should Cozy be here? In any event I think I could make strong arguments for Ocellus, Sandbar, and Silverstream as part of it.

Cozy would, I think, beeline to be involved in a theatre class. It's an entire class about lying. (To her mind.)

Related thought: some school teachers have students that served as teacher's aides in their classes--since she would have such a natural skill at theater, could perhaps Ocellus be an ideal candidate for such a teacher's aide in Autumn Blaze's class?

Also this. Ocellus would be a huge boon just for her physical flexibility alone.

However, I'm also going to caution about Silverstream being in that class. Not because it doesn't make sense (it rather does), but because you're going to have two VERY high energy characters in the same scenes then. That's going to be tough to write without overload.

However, I'm also going to caution about Silverstream being in that class. Not because it doesn't make sense (it rather does), but because you're going to have two VERY high energy characters in the same scenes then. That's going to be tough to write without overload.

That's actually a fair point--Autumn Blaze basically is the kirin version of Silverstream, after all. :rainbowlaugh: But I guess it'd also depend on what Silverstream's role in the given scene would be. If she's there for an actual important role that fits into the greater plot, then I think it could be overlooked. If not, then yeah, might be better to leave her out, if just for balancing reasons.

It might be a little TOO involved to come up with individual schedules for all of the Student Six and trying to figure out how many classes they have together vs. ones they don't. I'd rather keep it a bit looser. I doubt we'll end up with too many glaring contradictions or the like.

I'd offer a quick comment here. Student-teaching is not where a student still in class is deputized by the teacher to help out. Everyplace I've been has had student teachers either be recently-graduated students looking to get experience in the classroom (usually as part of getting their teaching degree) and/or are programs run by a school where the student in question works as a student-teacher in another school. In other words, Ocellus would not be a student-teacher at the School of Friendship before she even graduates from it. She'd either teach after she graduates or would be a supervised student-teacher in another school while still a student at the School of Friendship.

Granted, that's just applying real-world logic to a School that makes very little real-world sense, but I thought I'd point that out.

The same thought had occurred to me, but in my school district, I also knew that there were teacher aides (though perhaps I'm misremembering their exact title) who served in classes but while still attending that same school as students themselves. As I was never too involved in whatever program managed this, I admit to not knowing all the details, plus it's been a few years, but I believed it worked by granting the student the time in the schedules to be free so to assist as needed when needed, and I noticed they were usually of a grade or two higher than I was at the time.

Still, point taken, but that's why I threw it out there anyway, so we could discuss it, see if it was something we wanted to try exploring anyway.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7