My Little Reviews & Feedback 505 members · 861 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
TCan't Get Enough
Ever since the changeling reformation, Coxa hasn't needed love to survive. That didn't stop it from being addictive.
_Moonshot · 1.6k words  ·  56  1 · 1.1k views

Author:_Moonshot

Ever since the changeling reformation, Coxa hasn't needed love to survive. That didn't stop it from being addictive.

Summary: An interesting examination of a one-sided relationship.

Thoughts:

Today’s story is about sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Two of those are a lie. For today’s tale, we’ve got Moonshot’s Can’t Get Enough, a very interesting piece that tackles a heavy issue. So take a seat and grab a tissue. Heh, rhymes… sorry, I just got done writing some haikus about ‘Seer’s Goodtime Zone’ and… you know what it’s better if I don’t talk about that. Let’s hit it.

Plot:

Can’t Get Enough follows Blossomforth as she rethinks her relationship with Coxa, a changeling. The story establishes pretty clearly that changelings no longer need to feed off of love to survive, but Coxa here seems to be an exception. We’ll get to this in a bit, but Coxa is quite literally addicted to love. He, as the title implies, simply can’t get enough.

And this starts to irk Blossomforth, who sets out to discover if Coxa is really cheating on her. Now as a whole, I think I have some questions about this plot, but if I think really hard I think that everything kind of falls into place, somehow.

I think one of my biggest questions though is regarding character motivations, so let’s save that for the next section. Plotwise, things are most definitely interesting, but it’s a bit strange to try and piece together exactly why this is happening. Let’s unpack this by moving to ‘characters.’

Characters:

The very first lines of the story seem to imply that Blossomforth knows exactly what kind of relationship she’s got going on with Coxa. 

On Mondays, he meets with his second marefriend. On Tuesdays, he sometimes finds a third, and dumps her the next day. Wednesdays through Fridays, he’s busy at work. I don’t really know what he does.

But later in the story we see Blossomforth try and catch Coxa cheating on her, and hell, a few paragraphs later Coxa straight up admits this to her. And during their final confrontation, Blossomforth tells Coxa she knows he’s cheating, yet he doesn’t seem surprised.

So… why? If both of them are so sure the other knows what’s going on, then why hide it? Why does Blossomforth even need to go out and get evidence if she seems to know for a fact that he’s cheating on her? And why is Coxa even bothering hiding all of this from her? Wait, is he hiding anything from her?

So many questions, and all of this is so very intriguing. Perhaps Blossomforth just wants so desperately to believe that Coxa isn’t what she thinks he is… but even then, the last lines of the story seem to disprove this. Maybe she is simply addicted to love like Coxa is… but it has to be more than that otherwise the events of the story wouldn’t have happened!

Man, it feels like I’m back in lit analysis trying to solve this story. And it isn’t a bad thing! It’s genuinely intriguing to try and figure out what exactly is going on, and both of these characters have so much depth to them that I could probably take this analysis a dozen different ways.

Or maybe I’m missing the point completely, because I’m an idiot and stuff goes over my head most times. The joy of literature! Whatever. Read it, draw your own conclusions. Anyways, I don't know if this is something the author intended, or if it's something they should fix, but I myself enjoyed it as it gives me enough information and enough freedom to reach my own conclusion.

Grammar:

Pretty good grammar. There were a few sentences and words that made me raise an eyebrow, but nothing too major. 

Final Thoughts:

For a speedwritten story, Can’t Get Enough is very compact and very well written. It definitely feels like it goes deeper than it appears, and I think there are a lot of different ways one can take this story. And that’s really what makes some stories so darned good. But at its core it’s talking about a dysfunctional relationship, an issue that just might be more common than we’d like to admit, and it handles it in a believable, professional way. Absolutely wonderful job. 

Up next we got TCC56' Around and Around. See you then!

To the Readers:

If you want a good drama that isn’t afraid to tackle a heavy concept, give this one a (Moon)shot! 

To the Author:

Great work, as always! Big fan of what I’ve read from you so far! Though that might change when we get to the communism story...

I do have my reading notes for your fic, if you would like to see them let me know.

Scores:

Plot: 6
Characterization: 7
Grammar: 8

Average: 7

try and figure out what exactly is going on

Yep. Sounds like Moonshot.

The haiku contest! Red, you're a delight

it really do

We don't talk about the good time zone outside of the good time zone

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4