My Little Reviews & Feedback 505 members · 858 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
TThe Divine Epidemic
A hip young mare fresh out of college has to leave the perfect job when a goddess tells her she's destined to travel into a sacred forest to free a legendary minotaur from his prison so he can punch another legendary minotaur in the face.
Muggonny · 28k words  ·  22  4 · 637 views

Summary: The Book of (Possible) Prophecies foretells the story of a legendary minotaur being freed from his imprisonment so that he can punch another legendary minotaur in the face. On the far southwest corner, edges from being out of reach of the Equestrian border, there is a forest known only to the few who have heard about it (and obviously the inhabitants that live in it) as The Inconclusive Forest. This is the resting place of our hero Bobby the Brave and his Flaming Axe of Awesome™.

Strange Clover, a hip young mare fresh out of college, will have to quit her amazing job when Alias, Goddess of Doubt (and Oracle of [Possible] Prophecies), tells her that she's the one destined to free him. It will be an easygoing journey from here on out! (It won't.)

Initial thoughts: Welp, here goes nothing. When I started this story. I was blown away by the sheer amount of details and thoughts put into the introducing of our main character Oddluck, and how this might all relate to "gods punching each other" however, I admit I sorta was disappointed when the focus shifted to the gods bambling on about "god" stuff. Granted, this may just be me, and it might seem like I'm nitpicking, but I really wanted the story to focus on Oddluck and her circumstances and stumbling her way through life. As is....it's still very good writing, just not my "cup of tea." 6/10

Grammar: The level of detail and dedication here truly shines. Often to the point where you are reading and you are just captivated by the words off the page. No complaints. 10/10

Characterization: For what we get, the characters are very well developed, even if they are simply there to further show us how much Oddluck has a rather "unfornuate" series of events, that I think may relate to her odd cutie mark. However that is just my theory here. But Oddluck, the griffon boss, the roommate, even the gods are written with clarity, and I can feel them oozing off the page. 6/10. Gods boring. Give me more Oddluck.

Overall thoughts: I liked it at first, but as I mentioned the shift of the "gods" kind of lost me. I did manage to finish what was there, but just was left disappointed. It's not a bad story by any means. It may just have not appealed to me, and it's going to take convincing for anyone to read an incomplete story that may never be finished. So that loses points with me. 6/10

Final score: 7/10
Readable, well written, great character development. Gods bore me. Hopefully this has helped you. I hope you enjoy my rambles.

To make it clear: just because I'm shifting focus doesn't mean I'm going to focus less on OddLuck. The story is actually about her and her trip through the events about to unfold; it's also about the characters she meets along the way. Chapter 2 was just plot setup. Granted, it's understandable since there are only two chapters out right now. If you want more OddLuck, once I get this next chapter out of the way (which is basically an information dump), then I plan on having the story jump back and forth between her time in college and the current story.

As for your disappointment, I look forward to trying to turn that around, as I do have big things planned for this story if I can find a way to pick up my writing. I am only two chapters in and I have a major story to tell, so I guess we'll see where it goes.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2