The Changeling Research Group 452 members · 1,134 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30

This is for the discussion and requesting of changeling fics and fic concepts that you yourself don't think you can do justice, or that you just want to get out there.

Concept: A changeling disguises as a sword, and find himself being taken off on a series of adventures, during which they grow attached to their wielder, and the wielder grows attached to the "sword" that keeps saving their life.

That sounds like a fantastic idea Time Code, I'd take a crack at it myself, if I wasn't already in the middle of two stories. Still I hope that idea has a chance to turn into an exciting adventure!

What about a charging shifting into a bow or something?

I think it's a terrific idea, but I still can't get over the fact that changelings as inanimate objects are now canon. They didn't use it for any other purpose than a crutch in their writing. They're as dismissive to changeling logic as they are to magic.

5439194 A bow could work as well. Really the concept is "changeling is a weapon, wielder falls in love with the weapon". You could even have a whole army wielding changeling "weapons". Make it a comedy, with the changelings having there own slice-of-life adventure at night, when their wielders are asleep. :)

5439214 I know! I wish they either expand on the rules governing magic, or at least make use of it in such a way that we can figure it out. Same thing with Changeling logic. At least with changeling logic, I can understand not wanting to put too much focus on insectoid logic, especially in front of the younger viewers.

5440933 I linked back to here Mate. Hope that's good enough.

5439214 Even Magic does have limits, so this should never be used in such a carefree manner.
I could see one copying Spike, but that is about the limit to me.

Has anyone imagined the Changelings as comared to the Japanese, and the strange and different culture?

5447327 Before the episode, the limit of copying for Changelings in my stories were donkeys. Obviously, I had to change it to the freaking rocks because authors of the show were lazy. Why couldn't they use Starlight Glimmer? She's the one learning about friendship. It would make so much more sense for her to bow down to the pressure instead of defending the Changeling.

My head-canon is that they're evolved exiled Alicorns. I describe their culture of artificial selection in some of my stories.

because authors of the show were lazy.

Where in the world do you get that idea?

5447626 Depending on how the Donkey compares to the Mule and Zebra, but I think that was a good call on your part.
There is the chance we have a few others they could have copied in the proper size/mass range, butt the Buffallo and the Yak just ar too large for this to work.
A Rock, as in an Inanimate object is kind of too much of a stretch. Have to remember the suspension of Disbelief here. Or, are they stating that Rocks actually are genuinely alive, sentient and intelligent as they did that choice?

While the story did work fairly well, I guess the lesson could have been more if you placed it with Starlight Glimmer. Now the question is who was actually learning, and how much they take this to heart.

They kind of do act and look the part, as twisted as they may look. Of course, one could launch a counter argument based on Pinkie Pie, who can do most everything there is. She fly as much as the next Pegasus, use as much magic as the next Unicorn and is just as strong and fast as anything on the show. Not even Rainbow Dash can get away if she is set on catching her. and that doesn't even begin to count her Antics. Of course, she does even have a few body contortions and chape shifting. Maybe she is a Changeling too? Or, for the silly notion of her being the Transformer?

I love launching these theories/head-can(N)ons and ships to the right and left. just need a hint to get this going and you can get to the edge of Equestria and then some. Where ever that may be.
5447876 Actually, the writers are Humans(people), just like the rest of us, and they can be lazy just as much as the next guy/gall.
I am sad to say, they are making mistakes, and they are lazy. Just look at enough episodes, with enough care and you will find more than you may enjoy soon enough. I just don't let this get in the way of the greater good, to enjoy folloing the Poinies in their daily life and have fun ..

I am sad to say, they are making mistakes, and they are lazy.

I was asking about this specific case. What about their decision to have changelings able to turn into inanimate objects is "lazy" or "a crutch in their writing"? "I don't like this thing" is not the same as "lazy".

5448574 The specific is worse than merely lazy, to me. Even Magic needs to follow some kind of rules.
For the Changeling to be able to revert to the original form, she needs to have a mind in a state that can perceive the environment and the surroundings. An in-animate object is devoid of everything that is required for the active choice of when to turn back.

It's no more nonsense than keeping the same mental faculties when changing into a creature with a head a fraction of the size of yours. It's perfectly possible to come up with a set of magical rules where someone turned into an inanimate object still maintains mental faculties and awareness (And I'm sure I could dig up dozens of magical systems from stories to games that have done so). In fact, the show kind of established that it's possible already; Discord mentioned being able to hear things while turned to stone, for instance.

5454316 Wait, you actually trust Discord that much? Considering how he expressed that there was no fun in making sense?

From what we know, the Changeling actually is the Rock, the same way it's the Pony in that form. Nothing about the sealing Discord in Stone is actually making that claim. These are two entirely different and unrelated spells in the first place.

Discord was intended to be Passive, which I guess doesn't deny him to hear and feel?

Of course, and you compre a mere underling of a Changeling with Discord himself. Isn't that an unfair comparison all by itself too?

These are two entirely different and unrelated spells in the first place.

Discord was intended to be Passive, which I guess doesn't deny him to hear and feel?

Why exactly does having Discord turning to stone but still able to hear and feel make sense and follow those magical rules, but a changeling turning to stone but still be able to hear and feel doesn't? As pointed out, characters have maintained their full mental faculties through changes that should drastically alter them; we've seen characters thinking normally with heads a fraction of the size they used to have, we saw a frog whose entire head and body was turned into a fruit, yet apparently still able to think and act, and we've seen creatures literally made of inanimate objects (Timberwolves, who can even reform, combine, and pull in new plant material to create even bigger timberwolves). When you get down to it, being able to turn into a rock and retain conscious thought isn't inconsistent with magic as we've seen it in the past.

Well, nothing actually says the transformation from changeling to pony is complete. It could be any mix of illusions and transmutations, although it must have at least some transmutation because a glamor couldn't fool the senses enough to make something equine shaped feel draconic.

Anyways, on the subject of other ideas we don't have time for:

What if all ponies were actually changelings? And the ponies of Equestria and Equestria itself was actually comparable to an illusion or dream summoned by a Hive in stasis? Similar to Final Fantasy X's Zanarkand.

I was wondering if anyone could do a fic where the main six are arrested and tried for endangering Queen chrysalis's eggs. They are given a chance to do community service by hatching, feeding, and raising the surviving eggs. Takes place before season 6, Chrysalis is stripped of her title. Each girl must take care of some eggs. And if any nymph is "not well" then they will be throne in prison for life. With this Twilight and the girls will learn that because things are not what they think.

In an attempt to kidnap Flurry and get revenge, Chrysallis replaces Thorax and asks to babysit Flurry. Upon realizing just how much love Thorax gets in his natural form, she hastily tries to reverse the kidnapping before Shining Armor and Cadance get home. They both walk in on her in what appears to be the act of cradle robbing rather than cradle returning -- hijinks ensue.

5459416 To the defens, you could imply that they have more than just the spell to duplicate the known Pony.
If there is one to cover smaller or larger characters, such as the Dragon Spike, or an inanimate object such as a Rock, guess that could work?
Still does feel lazy, all the same. While I guess the use of multiple spells for various degrees of change could be very interesting, versetile and useful.

Some characteristics from a certain pink mare could support the notion of Ponies just being Changelings. We have seen her doing numerous feats that are simple for a Changeling. Aside from explaining how she can both fly and constantly use magic on the more Unicorn style.
5460132 I haven't the speciific, or the entire group, but I think I have Pink as one ion one way, shape or form in a few stories.
Could be very interesting to see how you see them divide the work on this one.
5460183 Oh yeah, we did see how how thick the Love is in the direct vicinity of Flurry Heart.
Thorax was getting a mouthful to choke on, didn't he?

5460687 Most of the eggs are dead, only eight are alive. that leaves 2 nymphs each. And like babies they can tell when ponies are angry, sad, happy, scared, or excited. This would show the girls, with and without child care experience to be more careful. Rainbow, Twilight, and Rarity would have the most trouble raising them. Applejack would be more worried about trusting them, but she would make sure they would be OK. Pinkie and fluttershy would just treat them just like regular foals. Celestia and Luna would come and say that they would only check on progress, but really they would come to see the nymphs and ask to babysit. Candence asked non stop to babysit them.

5462017 oh, so there is just a very scares selection of viable Eggs left for the Ponies of choice to care for?

With the implications included, I do have problems in seeing how Ponies could come and go as they please. Or even giving access to any additional Ponies at this point. There is the added tention of how and why they ended up with so few viable eggs in the first place. Is there a problem with the Queen, or were they damaged or killed by internal/external forced prior to the scene?

Are they permitted to choose their most comfortable position in the care, or are they given individual charges to care for?

I could easily see Fluttershy care for the eggs to Hatchlings. Pinkie Pie would make her effort in keeping every Pony and Changeling happy and in good spirits as a Reflex. Applejack could care for them, in the manner she would a Pigglet or the like, which just may work sufficiently?

5462654 After the trial the eggs would be deposited to the girls. "Disguised" as foals in a basket.
Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow dash with their issues with changelings I see them together with crying nymphs, trying to get them to stop. The changelings send an incantation, allowing the nymphs and the girls to have something like a hive mind.
The queen is not queen anymore, after the failed invasion and her hive gone. She is arrested and doing time in jail. The changelings that are giving the eggs to the girls are from the changeling kingdom.
The judge would tell Celestia this in the court that they need to be loved to live, and if anything bad happens the nymphs, the changeling kingdom will take that as an act of war. They need to see if ponies can love and show friendship to anything other than themselves.

5462827 War is no good for either side.
While I guess Pink is no representation of Ponies. She Ran Rainbow Dash and Crankey Doodle Donkey to the ground in the pursuit of friendship and fun. She even spoke to a changeling, even during the siege. Then she went to Griffonstone and all the way to Yak Yakistan for the same reason.
The mane six are not too much of representation for the nation on this case, and the same goes for the village of Ponyville too.

If the old Queen is in Prison, I guess that would explain their plight.

Of course, the Changelings couldn't afford to take the chance with the more representative community and Ponies in the first place.

This could be a very interesting story, if written well by the right writer.

5462980 The village of pony don't even know what changelings are, ponies in Canterlot do.
The hive mind I mentioned would let the girls know how the nymphs are feeling, by feeling the exact same.
and the changeling also did this as a way of payback. That's them being funny.

5464172 If the common Pony of Ponyville doesn't, but apparently Pinkie Pie would. Not just becuase of that she was told in connection with the wedding, but she knows all manner of thing she should not know. Ponies only know that she knows, after she told them she knew it.

Pinkie Pie already knew that, she can intrernalize so well she could see Fluttershy tear up over it. Apparently she taught her friends how Fluttershy felt at the time too.

As to Payback, Pinkie Pie still would put up a Humongous party to cellebrate the arrival of new friends. Then she would indoctrinate the Changelings into enjoying Partying all night long before the Changelings had realized what she was doing.

Oh, and Spike already made a Changeling his friend.

5464731 Takes place before season 6.

Where do we post ideas and suggestions about the group itself?

A fanfic series about a reformed changeling the has adventures in all kinds of different video game worlds.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30