Amalgam'verse 302 members · 42 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

Like the majority of the fanbase (and I say majority because it's had it's fair share of fans who were disappointed in it), I thoroughly enjoyed Michael Dougherty's Godzilla: King of the Monsters. The callbacks, the monsters, the battles, the soundtrack...if I may quote a YouTube comment, this film was practically a religious experience for me as a Godzilla fan.

It sorely broke my heart to see the film crash and burn both critically and financially, and in all honesty, I feel like it's going to be an open wound for a long time. At my worst, I sometimes actually feel a little ashamed of it; like I can never again bring up Godzilla without somebody pointing out this movie's failure. It's like all the world is shouting: "This movie is terrible! You don't gain anything from defending it! Just grow up and accept that it's bad. Give in to the hate; it's fun to hate". And the thing is, I actually do understand where the critics are coming from with their arguments. It's just that they're being utterly disrespectful and inconsiderate in their reviews, and the movie's problems didn't nullify my enjoyment of it very much.

But I've had a sort of epiphany recently about King of the Monsters, and why now, more than ever, I believe it to be one of the best Godzilla movies ever made.

In Entertainment Weekly's very stupid article on why Crawl is a better movie, one of their reasons is that KOTM isn't "self-aware". Of course, they're referring to a movie recognizing how supposedly stupid it's premise is and deciding to just joke around about it. In that sense, Entertainment Weekly is dead wrong (along with their notion that not having a cute dog is a legitimate grievance).

But here's the thing: KOTM actually is self-aware. It's aware of who's likely to enjoy it the most: us. And it does whatever it possibly can to give us a Godzilla movie that we can cherish.

The greatest fear that everyone had with the new American Godzilla films would be that they wouldn't respect the source material. But as we all saw, KOTM is chock-full of references, callbacks, and an all around sense of sheer reverence for the Japanese Godzilla movies. It gets Godzilla. I can't recall a single movie prior to this that showed so much respect and care for it's source material. In fact, I'd argue that KOTM is a better Godzilla movie than some of Toho's recent installments*

KOTM's ultimate message isn't about the folly of man or environmental destruction or coexistence with nature. Those themes are there, but that's not the big takeaway that I got from the movie.

I believe that this film was made as a way of saying: "We understand you. We know why you love these movies, and we're gonna do our doggone best to give you the Godzilla film of your dreams. And even if we don't succeed, well...nobody can say that we didn't at least try."

And for someone who often feels very much alone in life, from both Aspergers Syndrome and from the general nature of most of my interests, that is one of the most comforting things I could possibly hear.

I won't say that it's a perfect movie; it had it's problems. But for that alone, that willingness to acknowledge the love of the fans and just how much of an impact that ordinary viewers like us can have, I am willing to defend this movie to my grave.

Long Live the King

*P.S. To this day, I honestly think the Anime Godzilla is even more of a GINO than Zilla ever was. At least Zilla was an atomic mutant, not some crazy electromagnetic, bio-metallic, hyper-evolved plant...thing.

And for those of you who inevitably will ask, no, I am not dissing on Shin Godzilla. I don't think it was bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I couldn't have put it better myself. But here's the thing: while it's critical reception may not be favorable right now, I'm positive that in the years to come people will look back on it and recognize it as one of the best Godzilla movies ever created. Plus it has been nominated for several Saturn Awards.

King of the Monsters a failure,Toho didn't seam to think so.

I haven't seen KOTM yet, but I did listen to some of the soundtrack from YouTube and hear what Critics say. Well here what I say, Who cares? If the movie bad then yeah we get it, but it not like they try to be bad. Not every movie has to good to enjoy it, sometimes bad things could help the Movie become better in the future. Take US first Godzilla, and by that I mean Zilla, the movie was bad that it had a sequel cancelled but the kept up the Anime Zilla to show just because the movie was bad, doesn't mean everything else is. Then fast forward to 2014. US trying again to make a Godzilla movie and this time, it was good! True they kept cutting away from the kaiju fights, but I see it as a way to build up to finally fight. It like they want people to guess what this new version of Godzilla can do. Why revile everything about this Godzilla and repeated the same thing over and over again? Once KOTM come out on DVD and Blu-Ray I'll get and seeing it for myself.

They've said they're open to having the MonsterVerse running alongside their upcoming World of Godzilla, so that's a pretty good sign.

im pretty sure it did well internationally. americans have problems with monster movies in general.

American critics have problems with monster movies in general. General audiences and fans like us are usually a lot more forgiving.

Bah, critics wouldn’t know a good movie if it hits them in the face.

Eh, sometimes they get it right. It seems to be a 50-50 chance.

I actually have a theory as to why most American critics hated KOTM, but it's one that I'll have to disclose with you privately on account that it involves a touchy subject.

At my worst, I sometimes actually feel a little ashamed of it; like I can never again bring up Godzilla without somebody pointing out this movie's failure. It's like all the world is shouting: "This movie is terrible! You don't gain anything from defending it! Just grow up and accept that it's bad. Give in to the hate; it's fun to hate"

Funnily enough, i find myself in the same position, only with the Anime Trilogy. I can't seem to ever have a proper discussion regarding the films without immediately being bombarded with rants of how much people dislike it, and frankly, it's just plain tiring an experience

Sure, send it my way. I think I know what it's going to be about, though.

Preach, man. I freaking loved KotM. And don't worry about so-called professional critics. I've just about stopped listening to them entirely. These days, it feels to me like they can't really be trusted.

I used to be really down on Shin Godzilla. I thought that "Godzilla's" design and behavior in that movie were trash (and admittedly I still do). But nowadays after having watched the Anime Trilogy (*shudder*) I can look back at Shin and acknowledge that the story, themes, and direction are actually really darn solid. It's a good movie.

I used to be really down on Shin Godzilla. I thought that "Godzilla's" design and behavior in that movie were trash (and admittedly I still do). But nowadays after having watched the Anime Trilogy (*shudder*) I can look back at Shin and acknowledge that the story, themes, and direction are actually really darn solid. It's a good movie.

Me in a nutshell. Not my favorite, but it's still a good reimagining, and does a pretty good job of making Godzilla scary again.

The greatest fear that everyone had with the new American Godzilla films would be that they wouldn't respect the source material. But as we all saw, KOTM is chock-full of references, callbacks, and an all around sense of sheer reverence for the Japanese Godzilla movies. It gets Godzilla. I can't recall a single movie prior to this that showed so much respect and care for it's source material. In fact, I'd argue that KOTM is a better Godzilla movie than some of Toho's recent installments*

This, all of this. Seriously, there was so much love in that film for Godzilla and company. Even if it did feel overdosed with nods at the time.

KOTM's ultimate message isn't about the folly of man or environmental destruction or coexistence with nature. Those themes are there, but that's not the big takeaway that I got from the movie.

I believe that this film was made as a way of saying: "We understand you. We know why you love these movies, and we're gonna do our doggone best to give you the Godzilla film of your dreams. And even if we don't succeed, well...nobody can say that we didn't at least try."

Again, so much yes. And it was clear Toho adored this film which is the main thing if you want to do Godzilla right. Get Toho to love it and you're doing alright already. Now, GvK might be the last American film from Legendary at least, but it's clearly obvious Legendary is putting everything they have to do the King right.

*P.S. To this day, I honestly think the Anime Godzilla is even more of a GINO than Zilla ever was. At least Zilla was an atomic mutant, not some crazy electromagnetic, bio-metallic, hyper-evolved plant...thing.

And for those of you who inevitably will ask, no, I am not dissing on Shin Godzilla. I don't think it was bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Also, Godzilla Earth not being a true Godzilla. That's... debatable. My problem with him was that they said so much about him and there was not enough shown to back up the claims. He was a very flat character, had no personality whatsoever beyond being a force of nature. Hell, even Haruo had more personality than Earth bad as it was.

Um, yeah it made Godzilla scary again. Like seriously... This entire scene.

This is when you realize just how powerful this Godzilla is. And how horrifying. He's not some cheesy b movie monster, nor a savior. He is destruction incarnate. Now, I love the other Godzilla films, but there's no other film aside from the 1954 original or KoTM that really puts this much dread into you. (Granted, KoTM's dread was down to Ghidorah but...)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17