Amalgam'verse 300 members · 42 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

[Before we begin, I'd like to put a plug in for a blog post I made last week: my personal rewrite of Godzilla: King of the Monsters. If you haven't seen it yet, I encourage you to do so. I'd like to hear more people's thoughts on my personal adjustments to an otherwise amazing movie.]

Has anyone noticed that the scientific names for the MonsterVerse's Titans are kind of...odd? You know, stuff like Titanus Gojira, Titanus Mosura, stuff like that? First of all, that's not how taxonomy works (genus name first, species name second), and second, those names sound kind of generic.

I took the opportunity to rework some of the scientific names for various Titans from the MonsterVerse. Below are the results. Keep in mind, I just used Google Translate to work out the Latin and Greek names, so they may not be totally accurate. I may add more in the future. King Ghidorah will not get a name, as I like to think he was such a new discovery that MONARCH didn't get much time to work out what he was before Crazy-PETA-Lady woke him up.

Godzilla
Gojira Prodirex (Godzilla, the Monster King)

Mothra
Mosura Prodiregina (Mothra, the Monster Queen)

Rodan
Rodan Pteroignis (Rodan, the Winged Blaze)

M.U.T.O.
Prodisicarius Parasitus (Parasitic King Assassin)

Shinomura
Shinomura Excimortem (Shinomura, the Swarm of Death)

Methuselah
Methuselah Monsbestia (Methuselah, the Mountain Beast)

Behemoth
Behemoth Dentegigas (Behemoth, the Tusked Giant)

Eh, then you lose the nostalgia and the lore bonus of those names, Gojira and Mosura are Godzilla and Mothra's names in Japan.

Well, I did my best to keep their actual names in there were I could.

True, but the reason for the Titanus name was to note all of these creatures as being related... granted, far from precise, but at this point, most scientist are tossing their notes in the trash and going "What the fuck do we know!" after finding these things.

Also, I want Monsterverse to bring back Titanosaurus, just to see how they name it.

Personally, my idea for Titanosaurus' name would be Chitanosaurus Mafune, after the Japanese pronunciation of the kaiju's name (チタノザウルス Chitanozaurusu), and obviously Dr. Mafune.

It would also clear up the discrepancy regarding the real-life Titanosaurus.

far from precise, but at this point, most scientist are tossing their notes in the trash and going "What the **** do we know!" after finding these things.

I know. That's just where my mind goes regarding these things.

Titanus Titano (OK that was lazy lol)

The names made sense to me. The monsters are not portrayed as actual individuals as in the Toho series, but individuals of their species. Gojira, Mosura, and Rodan are more in likely used for nostalgia purposes, but they are intended to be the species name, not the individual. As far as I am able to understand, they used the correct form with the scientific names. Especially since their has definitely been a new Mosura since the one portrayed in the cave paintings. Either that, or the people who made those paintings are extremely good at predicting the future.

With that said, I do find your scientific names quite...I guess ‘attractive’ is the best I can come up with to describe how I think of them.

I suspect Taxonomy had nothing to do with the naming of the creatures in Godzilla; after all, Godzilla and Mothra shouldn't share the same phylum, much less the same genus. More likely, the title of Titanus was just a label for gigafauna, with all known examples of which save the MUTO were to date unique, and thus not in need of a species name.

Besides, MONARCH was likely limited by it's mandate to identify and contain or destroy gigafauna, and as such was unable to submit proper scientific names; they certainly wouldn't have been able to follow official procedure of providing a biological sample for peer review to confirm the new species as part of the naming process. As such, it's unlikely a proper cladistic assessment was ever carried out for any of these creatures....

King Ghidorah will not get a name, as I like to think he was such a new discovery that MONARCH didn't get much time to work out what he was before Crazy-PETA-Lady woke him up.

Crazy-PETA-Lady

LOL!!!

Comment posted by Vman-0 deleted Jul 2nd, 2019

:twilightsmile:

Speaking of Crazy-PETA-Lady, I don't know if you saw this, but I cooked up a reworked version of G:KOTM that you can view here, if you're interested.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13