The Wonderverse 267 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24

The enigmatic villain Kayn Ost who is responsible for handing out the crystals which super powered the Shadowbolts, making Celestia vanish (presumably) and driving wonderbolt workplace injuries through the roof. Who the hell is he/she/it/they?

I created this thread to focus the theorists who are interested in speculating as to the identity and/or powers of Kayn Ost. While not much of a theorist myself, I am quite interested in hearing the theories regarding Kayn Ost. It's just that considering the popularity of Calm's stories the comments get buried and become hard to find. Here discussion for this topic is made infinitely easier.

I'd like to hear what you think of Kayn Ost, why you think it and then we can examine each others ideas, adapt them and ultimately provide enjoyable conversation that could put conspiracy theorists to shame. Even if your just rehashing what you said in the comments we now have fresh insight, new information and may be further in from when you first aired the theory.

Soaring Soarin
Group Contributor

4482520 hmmm i'm still holding out its a old wonderbolt *cough* blizzard*cough* and maybe someone else a duo or atleast a small group with one puppeteer

i just hope this pays off and kayin ost isn't another villain going "i'm doing all this stuff because i'm fucking evil" i always like my villains to blur the lines

I mentioned in the comments of PtH and I think it's really shaky but is along your lines.

Kayn Ost

Hurricane... says the wonderbolts deserve whatever they get.

Stream... mercing, Shadowbolts are mercs.

I wonder. Probably straws.

Food for thought though.

Soaring Soarin
Group Contributor

4482619 well i don't wanna dedicate myself to a theory theirs just too many unknown variables surrounding Kayn Ost and plus its calm wind were dealing with here

Calm wind is that guy.....but in a good way.....maybe

You don't have to but it's fun to discuss.

Eveyann
Group Contributor

ok i spent 1 hour (when i was supposed to be studying) try to work this out, i can say it not an anogram or any code i know but all i know is that discord knows who he is

the suspects (calm's pth characters)

I doubt it any of the wonderbolts

twister- as much as i love twister, he's suspicious, he has no back story and he never tell us much about himself and well i don't know, however as it stands i don't believe he do such a thing

squall- he's a crystal pony and there are pink crystal duh, duh, duh (mind blown):pinkiegasp: no i don't think squall would do it either

unseen character- this is probably most likley so we'll just have to wait

somepony in the show: it could be this as well but i can't think of who it would be

and old wonderbolt: mostly busted due to them being accounted for and before you say blazing light, they found his body

The shadow pony, maybe? Or maybe a forgotten wonderbolt that they really didn't see much of. Or someone with Sombra, cause Sombra controls the black crystals but I don't think in the way kayn ost does. If she/he is with Sombra, kayn ost has to be from the crystal empire, someone working with Sombra in the shadows, it also would be a plus if the male pony in soarin's head would be Sombra

4482520 An enemy who cannot be seen....who lurks in the shadows...who seeks the destruction of our heroes, and sends others with special abilities to do his dirty work, there's no question about it, Kayn Ost is....Dio Brando!

Jim Hoxworth
Group Contributor

I'm thinking it's someone we haven't met yet. Someone in the Crystal Empire. But it's hard to say for sure.

Calm Wind
Group Admin

I must confess...

It's Mr. Popo

You are ever so helpful. :pinkiehappy:

But that's what Kayn Ost would want us to believe. :trixieshiftleft:

Soaring Soarin
Group Contributor

4487760 might go see the teamfourstar guys at con in a few weeks

4487760 I don't know what to say to that but thats what you want us to think don't you?:trixieshiftright:

Jim Hoxworth
Group Contributor

:rainbowlaugh:
But seriously, once we identify the blue magic, identifying Kayn Ost will be much easier.

Calm Wind
Group Admin

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you :moustache:

Jim Hoxworth
Group Contributor

Of course. :rainbowlaugh: However, the varying factor is how much it will help. Knowing specifics about motives helps profile any suspect to a certain degree. Whether it will be enough to make a positive ID is another matter entirely.

4487943 …………….….……………Nah, I like my theory better

Sylvian
Group Contributor

I may as well weigh in, because why not!

In my honest opinion I do not think it is King Sombra, because well I think he is the one behind the blue magic and Celestia is the one behind the yellow magic, (This is because Blue Stallion says Yellow Mare's language is unbecoming of her public image, and Celestia is a very even keel gently spoken kind of person. Also, the fact that they say Sombra attempted, but failed, to attain godhood, and Blue Stalion has a sore spot when Yellow Mare says that Soarin attained on accident what Blue Stallion failed to attain in life. Also, honestly, Celestia was just as important in Soarin's ressurection as Dash/Spitfire, so it is quite possible even in a non-corporeal form she'd be able to help Soarin.)

So, this sort of leaves a few possibilities. One being an ex-wonderbolt, which while possible is unlikely due to the magic crystals being (Possibly) of Chaos Magic and it seems unlikely an ex-wonderbolt would be able to channel, let alone harness that power into physical form (Aka the Pink Crystals).

It was also speculated that Kayn Ost is a conteporary or a former lacky of Sombra (Lacky is more likely because honestly I don't think the Mad King would have anyone he'd call "Equal"), and thus have access to his research? I still find this unlikely, but then again this is Calm Wind we are talking about, after some of the twists he has taken in his story he could pull a rabbit out of a hat and say it was Kayn Ost and I might just believe it.

I am going to propose something else, that is perhaps also highly unlikely (But again seeing who the author is...) but not outside the realm of possibility.

It could, and I mean -could- be someone like Discord, or even a pony that Discord has kept an eye on, because everyone's favorite divine prankster admitted to -knowing- the name, even if it was indirectly and refused to give any details. I am also more positive that this is the more likely one because he told Luna she'd be thankful for him doing his part when the time came, which makes me think he -is- doing something right now that is preventing the full force of whatever it is we're dealing with crashing down ontop of their heads. Or even, in the future, when the final battle comes that he'll have done something/will do something that will even the playing field between our heroes and the mysterious Kayn Ost.

But, then again, this is Calm we're talking about, he could point to Misty Fly (Its always the quiet ones :moustache:) and I'd almost believe it.

If it helps, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't, I chucked Kayn Ost into Google.
I got a German local directory, and a playlist called Ost Rozen made by a guy named Kayn Assarath.
The music wasn't bad.
Didn't know any of the people in Germany though.

Ost is German for East by the way.
And Debra Kayn was a Best selling romance author apparently.

Don't know where I'm going with this...

Maybe someone that was both a Shadowbolts and Wonderbolts and left on some mission and never came back. And one day found the crystals and decided to get revenge on both groups.

Yea I think he's going to cast the Shadowbolts to the side when he's one with them. Only because when he gets Soarin he could be very powerful and won't need the Shadowbolts.

Wow, I like what I'm seeing in this discussion!
Okay, here's my theory: Discord, Kayn Ost, Ruin, and Twister are manifestations of the Spirit of Chaos.

After listening to the second episode of The Wondercast podcast, "Who is Twister," I was dumbfounded by the circumstancial-in-relation-to-canon evidence and evidence from various chapters in Piercing the Heavens that point to Twister being a figment or incarnation of Discord. I held initial disbelief towards this theory until this question was raised: What did Discord do after the death of Blizard Strike?
I believe Discord, unwittingly or willingly, separated into separate entities that embodied different aspects of chaos. Twister seems to be open-minded, quite devoted, and surprisingly mature despite his behavior. Twister, in my opinion, is what Discord might be if he was more open-minded, accepting, and took the time to shrug off old grudges. Basically, Discord getting over Celestia friendzoning him and also taking the time to understand Blizard Strike.

Kayn Ost and Ruin are difficult to pick apart, but both seem to be malicious and wrathful embodiments of chaos. Kayn Ost is a strategist while Ruin manipulates and puppeteers for his entertainment. In Chapter 166, Twister tells Ruin that he hopes one they "[the Wonderbolts] won't need me to stop you," to rob him of the entertainment and satisfaction he lives for.

Both Discord and Twister have spoken of having their agendas. Kayn Ost and Ruin have expressed similar interests in Soarin and Rainbow Dash. At one point, the Wonderbolts and Celestia speculate that the Shadwbolts were sent to Ponyville to kill the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony before Celestia performed her pretentious operation on Soarin. Ruin, in Chapter 165, makes a few jabs at the Elements of Harmony and their bearers.

I, however, do realize that Discord implied that he knew of Kayn Ost and maybe knows their identity. This may or may not work against my theory, considering Discord is very prideful and works for himself ultimately despite his loyalties to Celestia, Luna, and maybe Fluttershy. After all, take a look at Season 9 of the canon timeline. Of course, the situations are different but the reasoning may be similar...
What do you guys think?

Agreed. It makes a story so much more interesting when the line between good and evil is blurred and suddenly the reader isn't quite sure what to feel anymore.

Kayn Ost... honestly, all of these theories are really good. I kind of get the feeling that it's going to be related to someone we already know in the story, and it's not going to be a completely new character, but I'm not 100% sure on who or how.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24