The Chase Group 423 members · 20 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21
kudzuhaiku
Group Admin

If The Chase were to be broken up into multiple books, where would the optimal breakpoints be? Which chapter would one book end and another begin?

Say, if, The Chase was turned into a hardback novel and printed.

when they arrive at the house.

I would have to say at the arc's splitting points. ie: beginning of the story to arrival on the Shetlands, ad from the Shetlands to the trial, and the trial to the end of the GDA and so on and so forth.

I second daemon on this one

$$$$ = <3

The minimum novel length is about 50,000 words. However, novels can range up to 100,000 words (or more, if you want to make doorstoppers). And you have, according to TVtropes, about 700,000 words?

I'd suggest making 10-1=9 break points, putting them in at even intervals between chapters, then shifting them about until each break about ends a single arc of the story.

3711013 From a completely non-story related perspective: try every hundred chapters. That should make all of the books roughly equal in length.

Departure from Ponyville (the first one), departure from the Shetlands, departure from Canterlot, etc.

Seems like a fitting pattern. The books wont all be of the same length this way though so merging the trial with the Ponyville arc would make sense in that regard.

Purely hypothetical question?

3711013 I always knew this would happen, and I was right. I have discovered the great Chase conspiracy. You're using us as free editors, and when the story is complete you're going to take it off of Fimfic. Then you'll edit out every time the characters say pony and all of the names of ponies. You'll give them all new names and you'll create all new species. There by creating an original fictional story to sell to the masses. But you did not take into account that I am completely insane and no one has or every will listen to my insanity.

also the first book should end as Bucky and his family finally leave the Isles

kudzuhaiku
Group Admin

I am discovered! Quick, I need Princess Level mindwiping... stat. :trollestia:

3711426 Your mind wipe won't work on me. And now my partner shall explain to you why your mind wipe won't work in the form of a song.

Scarheart
Group Contributor

3711426 I see what you did there:rainbowkiss:, and all the other chapters before... :rainbowderp:

Volume 1: Something Worth Chasing (Chapters 1-52)
Volume 2: The Curse of Shetland (Chapters 53-190, can be broken into smaller books)
Volume 3: A New Era (Chapters 191-???)
Volume 4: Tragedy in Griffonholm (Entirety of GDA)

3711013 first book would probably be chapter 1-52. pretty straight forward that the end should be either right when they leave or right when they arrive. i would say that that just as they board the boat is a good place.

the biggest problem is where in the isle arc you want to cut because you would probably want to have it in two or even 3 parts since the entire arc is about 390,061 words without the two "lost" chapters.

the first arc is 130,316 words without one "lost" chapter

congrats, you have 6 books in store, and i would easily buy them all

3711567 as i said, the numbers are staggeringly high.

chapters 1 - 52 -> 130,316 words
chapters 52 - 190 -> 390,061 words

kudzuhaiku
Group Admin

Volume 4: Tragedy in Griffonholm (Entirety of GDA)

The Griffonholm Chainsaw Massacre.

After reading through I say publish them at the arc endings, but for the Isle arc or any other big arcs separate it into multiple books but keep them together like a Lord of the Rings complete set box.

Have all the books in one purchase though so that your not left on a cliff hanger. :pinkiehappy:

:rainbowderp: Did I really just say that who am I dealing with here. :facehoof:

kudzuhaiku
Group Admin

The Isles' book needs to end with Bucky dying in a pool of his own blood.

why is that? I thought that was the ending to 'The Chase'.

Scarheart
Group Contributor

3712229 Actually, he was dying in a pool of his own blood after destroying the crystal lich.

On the end of the Isles Arc/Book it should be at the end of the chapter where they see the dragons as an epic cliff hanger. I found it a cliff hanger... For a few hours :twilightsheepish:

The Canterlot Court can be part of the Griffon Arc/Book if it is too short to be a standalone

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21