Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Twifight Sparkill
Group Admin

It appears that everyone who wanted to participate in the introductory writing exercise has done so, and my delight-o-meter is simply off the charts!

I don't think I could pen anything more perfunctory or lackadaisical than my offering, but the rest of you have REALLY set a standard for committing to flowing, purposeful creation under duress. BRAVO!

Please discuss your pieces and the method behind them - from meaning and goals whilst writing the piece, to even what music you were listening to or what soda you were enjoying - anything applicable to the process, hm? We'd all like to know! REVEAL YOUR INSPIRATION!

Mine was red wine. It's always red wine and sometimes pony music; traditionally I find anything by ponyphonic to be inspiring, then a nice shiraz. Mmm.

The next writing exercise will be available Friday, and it will be a more controlled test of your capabilities - be prepared!

Thanks to everyone for their participation! Bravo!

The meaning of my story is too deep to fathom. Not even I can begin to comprehend its meaning.

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

In my story I tried to do a fic with this scene. I wasn't looking at the picture at the time. There was no need for it. It had burned itself into my brain the first time I saw it. It was the inspiration behind my writing and that is what my head canon entails as to continuation of this story.

Obviously, I couldn't just jump into it, so I made some scene introductions (characters, reason for going there, basic place of the act,...). Sadly I was getting pressed with time. I just managed to cut to the instant ending before my time ran out.

The story consists almost entirely of dialogue. I like using that tool very much. It's a direct pathway into a person's brain which is the most interesting thing in the world. Describing scenery does nothing for me. I want action, adventure, profoundness, uniqueness.

The piece I wrote is a good representation of my writing. Obviously I'd do a much better job with more time, but you know what I mean.

Hat
Group Admin

I was thinking along the lines of fantasy stories (I'm interested in that at the moment). The protagonists are really driven by something and it would not really be an interesting fantasy without such heartfelt motivation; the world would lose its meaning without a protagonist who is desperately interested in it for survival/high-stakes reasons. Derpy considered the adventure but felt no need for it (and an adventure is not much if the protagonist isn't interested); on some occasions (perhaps limited to fiction) there is no need to struggle. This might have revealed a little bit of character because she has pure intentions and doesn't choose adventure for the slaying of monsters etc but would do so if it had certain meaning.

With that explained poorly, I'll go to the harder bit to answer (how I wrote it). This is difficult to describe. It is a lack of narrow (relative to the task) attention. I left it to my brain to figure out the pacing of the ten minutes just like how if you will it you can wake up at a certain hour without an alarm. I did not focus attention on my word choices but I was still watching them and changed some words as a result. Imagine a large figure dictating (in the speaking sense) to the room as minions listen and tune it for publication.

This is a good idea for a topic, Twifight!

Phazon
Group Admin

Does this mean you'll be locking the "Flutterbat" prompt thread now?

Twifight Sparkill
Group Admin

I think I'll leave it open, actually. You never know if a new member might want to try their hand at it, eh.

A girl can dream.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6