Quorum of Canon 17 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24
Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

Let's discuss those here before we put them up in the Quorum thread. Here are my suggestions:

Wish list

- I Really Like Your Mane
A webisode following Carrot Top of the Line detailing Carrot Top very very short stint as a model for Rarity.
- Summer Sun Celebration
After the hectic Gala, Trixie takes her friends to her native Neigh-Orleans for the carefree mardi-gras/day of the dead revelries of the Summer Sun Celebration instead of somber Summer Sun Sorrow the rest of Equestria celebrates. Trixie introduces her friends to her family.
-Untitled Running of the Leaves story
Coming back after years studying and living away, Lyra wants to do her best to help out her hometown in the Running. We discussed that Ponyville would have a friendly competition set up with nearby Hoofington, leading to a series of pranks and counter pranks designed to prevent the other town from having a successful Running in time.

Discouraged ideas

-Corona killing someone
Long term plans are for Celestia to turn good and be redeemed. Her redemption becomes a thousand times more difficult if she kills someone or does significant damage.
-Lyra and Bon Bon dealing with bigots.
Their status as same-sex couple shouldn't never be made a big deal. Tribalists taking issue with their couple can happen but should not be the centre conflict in a story.
-"Fixing" the Lunaverse version of the Mane6.
Aside from Twilight's stint as a fugitive every Mane6 are fine and generally good pony. They have more flaws than their canon counterparts but are not antagonists. That is not to say you cannot explore the Mane6 in a fic and explore their good qualities and develop their relationship with the Luna6, but it should not be the entire point of a story. Starting a fic with the intention of fixing something is generally a bad idea.
-Time travel
We don't want Vazak to have a heart attack :p.More seriously, the wide reaching implications of easy time travel can be very difficult to deal with. Plus temporal mechanics can make you go mad!

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2568652 :

Re: Likes

I'd add to that the 'Bushel of Carrots' and 'Fluttershy's cottage becomes an MC Escher painting' stories that have been talked about for a while. Also the 'Maxie and Posey' story Talon And Thorn said he might write. Lastly, the 'Lyra and BB get engaged' story now that it isn't happening in 'Dinner With The Folks.'

I like the idea of the Summer Sun story and the modeling story. Personally, I never really cared for the prank war story; seems more of an S1 thing (I know the seasons work out so it would fall in S2, but I mean it seems like more of a 'Lyra just got back into town two weeks ago, feels out of touch' kind of thing).

Re: Dislikes

The Corona one I have to object to for obvious reasons. :-) More seriously, while I think we can all agree Corona should never be gratuitously cruel/go around decapitating innocent foals, she is still trying to conquer Equestria. That's going to result in folks getting hurt, and we make her 'redemption' meaningless if we handwave all that away.
Plus, we've talked about a bunch of evil-vs-evil stories (including Tambelon). I think it's okay for Corona to get dangerous in those kind of situations.

Similarly, for the bigots one, I agree that they shouldn't be subjected to abuse for being two mares. But we do know from Tootsie Flute that 'bloodline purity=stronger unicorn magic' is kind of a thing with some ponies. So that could be brought up (I'm debating having this mentioned in SoS; when the Lord of the city is all about historic unicorn heritage, it's liable to come up). Probably not as a full story or even webisode, but I think it should be fair game to mention.

Fixing the M6, agreed. That shouldn't be the focus of a story. I don't think it's a bad thing to move along the Ct/AJ or the Rainbow Dash/Raindrops relationships, though, since those two are probably the most interesting parallels.

Time travel... I still like the 'bad future' idea, but it seems no one else does, so I'll let it go.

As for new disliked ideas, I'd vote for the 'Trixie learns to use mind bullets' thing, as well as some of Shadow's weirder ideas -- I was never a fan of the Lunatic 6 or the Aquaman 'homage', personally.

More generally, I'm opposed to stories in which the L6 must do something corrupt or evil to succeed. Stories where they choose to do so are one thing (when it's made clear in-text they're making a bad choice), but the Lunaverse should be positive enough that it should always be possible (albeit possibly difficult) to do the right thing without having to give up on one's goals. We also saw in AtGGG that these stories tend to be really controversial, so it's probably best to steer clear of them.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Looks good, though I'd equally like to add some version of "don't demonize the Mane-6, either."

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

2568814 Well it doesn't have to be 'Lyra feels out of touch', it can be 'Lyra used to LOVE the Running of the Leaves but hasn't participated in a long time' and could deal with her nostalgia. Remind me what was the Maxie and Posey story again? Also you reminded me of something I'd like to see at some point...

Corona can kill other bad guys, but she shouldn't kill someone while in the process of deposing Luna. Corona's goal should be to take down Luna herself, and protect her little ponies.

I don't think we need to worry about the Aquaman hommage story anymore anyway.

I don'T mind the 'bad future' story, and remember that those are 'Discouraged ideas', not outright forbidden ones. You just need to debate harder to get them accepted. The time travel thing is mostly a warning not to be carefree with it.

2568879 So using the previous format, here is a revised listing.

Wish list

- I Really Like Your Mane
A webisode following Carrot Top of the Line detailing Carrot Top very very short stint as a model for Rarity.
- Summer Sun Celebration
After the hectic Gala, Trixie takes her friends to her native Neigh-Orleans for the carefree mardi-gras/day of the dead revelries of the Summer Sun Celebration instead of somber Summer Sun Sorrow the rest of Equestria celebrates. Trixie introduces her friends to her family.
-Untitled Running of the Leaves story
Coming back after years studying and living away, Lyra wants to do her best to help out her hometown in the Running, an event she used to love as a foal. We discussed that Ponyville would, possibly, have a friendly wager set up with nearby Hoofington, which could lead to a series of pranks and counter pranks designed to prevent the other town from having a successful Running in time. Note that it is a different Hoofington than the town of the lumber guild from Hero of Oaton.
-Bushel of Carrots
Carrot Tops wants to help her friends but bites on more than she can chew, leading to her being exhausted and out of time. She remembers legends her grandmother used to tell her and, following the hints, she finds the fabled Mirror Pool! She then proceeds to make copies of herself to help out as many ponies as possible... At first everything looks good until she realizes her copies are a bit too proactive, deciding to help where not asked, or not need, and when asked they tend to be horribly literal in what they do, causing lots of damage to the town.
-The Proposal
Lyra wants to propose to Bon Bon but isn't sure how to properlly do it. Possibly that it's Bon Bon who wants to do it too, or both at the same time. The pony wanting to propose asks the other Luna6 for help. Hilarity and shenanigans ensue before a heart warming "YES!!!" ending.
-Dinky in Cloudsdale
Twilight finds the Cloud Walking spell in the library, Ditzy takes her daughter to Cloudsdale, maybe Lyra goes to see her mother. The rest of the plot is up in the air (pun intended)

Dicouraged Ideas

-Corona killing someone
Long term plans are for Celestia to turn good and be redeemed. Her redemption becomes a thousand times more difficult if she kills someone while trying to conquer Equestria or does significant damage. Corona's goal is to defeat Luna, and protect her ponies from what she consider evil. While we don't want Celestia's redemption to be easy, we don't want her to be under lock and key once she turns good, and so the damage she does to the civilians should be kept to a minimum. Celestia is technically fighting a civil war against the Night Court as a deposed, but still rightful, ruler, she is not a terrorist vying to control the World. She can kill other bad guys though.

-Lyra and Bon Bon dealing with bigots.
Their status as same-sex couple shouldn't never be made a big deal. Tribalists taking issue with their couple can happen but should not be the centre conflict in a story.

-Demonizing the Mane6
Aside from Twilight's stint as a fugitive every Mane6 are fine and generally good pony. They have more flaws than their canon counterparts but are not antagonists. Don't make them bad guys.

-"Fixing" the Lunaverse Mane6
The Mane6 don't need to be fixed. They are not the main focus of our canon stories. That is not to say you cannot explore the Mane6 in a fic and explore their good qualities and develop their relationship with the Luna6, but it should not be the entire point of a story. If you must include such an element it should always be framed from the point of view of one of the Luna6. Starting a fic with the intention of fixing something is generally a bad idea.

-Timey whimey shenanigans
We don't want Vazak to have a heart attack :p.More seriously, the wide reaching implications of easy time travel can be very difficult to deal with. Plus temporal mechanics can make you go mad! If you want to include time travel in a story, it must be an insanely remarkable and unique event that is unlikely to happen again.

-The Luna6 MUST kick a puppy, or else!
The Luna6 should never be forced to do something evil or corrupt. The Lunaverse should be positive enough for them to take a third option. Similarly, while it's not fully discouraged, be mindful of the potential controversy that can arise from putting the Luna6 in a moral dilema or a situation where the Luna6 are considered doing the right thing only by virtue of being the protagonist.

-Trixie learns mind control or a lethal spell
The Truth is a Scourge potion is as far as Trixie should go in mind altering magic. Trixie is first and foremost an illusionists, and a pony of limited magic reserves, even if she can pick up spells easily. It would be out of character, and unfit for the setting, for her to learn any outright lethal spell or one that lets her erase memories or something.

How's that?

Also maybe we should include 'A Chance Encounter' in the Wish List. I think that story should be started from scratch if IAH gave up on it.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Last thing I'm gonna do before going to sleep is edit in those two.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

I've wanted to see it happen for a long time, so might as well ad it to the wish list.

BonBon's Ordinary Day: BonBon goes around Ponyville and over the course of her day ends up talking to other characters connected to the L6 who are also going about their own ordinary days. Suggestions include Pokey Pierce (Trixie's Secretary), Sparkler (Dinkie's half-sister), Berry Punch (Cheerilee's older sister), Blossomforth/Thunderlane (Carrot Top's business associate and ex-boyfriend respectively, who are now dating each other). The tone should be something like a successor to Tales of Ponyville, except instead of switching perspective each chapter we always follow BonBon as she meets with each of the other ponies in turn. For bonus points the L6 should occasionally be seen running around in the background engaged in the antics of one of their typical episodes, but the audience should always be left confused as to that plot leaving it mostly a noodle incident, however upon returning home at the end of the day BonBon discovers Lyra has a gift for her and the implication is the antics somehow relate to it. This could maybe be the much vaunted proposal fic, in which case as she goes about town the thing BonBon talks about is her own frustration/concern over when Lyra will start taking their relationship more seriously. Barring that, it could perhaps just be in important anniversary.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Hey, I remember that idea! That's a good idea.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2569130 : Maxie and Posey was a story Talon And Thorn mentioned about a growing romance between Baron Max and Duchess Fragrant Posey. RDD brought up the ship in comments to 'A Concert for Ponyville' saying it was something positive that could be taken from AtGGG. I included an oblique reference to the ship in a later chapter of that story. T&T seemed to like the idea later. But even if he doesn't want to write it, it might be fun if somebody did.
2575957 : Agreed! I like the Bonbon's Day idea too.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

2582265 So it would be a webisode then? And where would you put it?

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2582315 : You'd have to ask T&T, but I'd guess a webisode, something like Pinkie and Bluei. Probably fall or winter focused.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

2582375 Sounds good, I'm all for adding it to the wish list (I would if I could...).

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I will, don't worry.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

2583696 Two more ideas I remembered, both for Everypony's Day...

Fluttershy's Day
Fluttershy was having a quiet evening with her few animals friends who weren't hibernating, feeling bad about not mustering the courage to play in front of the town when the sun comes up in the middle of the night! Soon afterward her good friend Rainbow Dash arrives...with Scootaloo in tow. Rainbow Dash tries to reassure Fluttershy while Angel teaches Scootaloo martial arts.

Vynil Scratch's Day
Forget that old school party in Ponyville, that's for squares yo! DJ PON-3 has a gig in the big city! An all night new years eve RAVE! Wubs and strobe lights for hours on end in a gritty warehouse! Will she even notice the end of the world going on outside?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Adding...also deleted some that are now in-progress.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

2777824 How about we ask for some more development of the Lyra and Bon Bon relationship? Emeral's been pointing out how we don't really have much on them.

Also maybe it's time to consider someone else takes a stab at the concept of 'A Chance Encounter'? Maybe even put it into Webisode format instead...I don't IAH is all that interested in continuing it, and if he's to return to writing for the Lunaverse I'd rather he go back to Eye of the Hurricane.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Fair enough. Anyone in mind for the Lyra/Bon Bon thing?

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

2894498 No idea but we should make it possible for that story to be inserted into season 1, might interest some folks go want to leave their mark. We could place it before the Family/Hands duo.

I'm thinking something like...

"Bon Bon and Lyra hadn't see each other for three years, but after nearly dying on the Longest Day, Bon Bon asked Lyra to move in with her... Now she's wondering if they moved too fast and if she was ready to share her living space. Amidst domestic shenanigans Bon Bon thinks back on her relationship with Lyra and the years they had to spend apart when the unicorn went to study in Canterlot. In the end, despite a few hiccups she is certain she made the right choice."

Would also give us more of Bon Bon's personality because so far, all we know is that she has a temper.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

'Kay, I'll add that to the wish list, and talk to IAH at...some point.

(I just got back from Texas and apparently my work has decided that I don't get to enjoy being home, I have to work 10-hour shifts for the next few days)

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

2900447 Well that sucks. Take your time then, no rush!

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

2893659 2900447
I sort of did offer to take ACE off his hands (EotH too, for that matter), but then things seemed to get wishy-washy about whether or not he was actually giving it up or was just temporarily stressed, and so I didn't want to pressure him on it. It's been a while though, so I guess it's finally time to confirm one way or the other.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

2901277 Plus I kinda want us to settle Spike's fate and how it went with Twilight in the end.

InsertAuthorHere
Group Admin

Well, at least you guys were nicer than that guy who called me a sack of shit and said I should kill myself because ACE still wasn't done.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Note that we said "I guess it's finally time to decide one way or another"...nine weeks ago. Decisive we are not, surprisingly considering that that's the entire point of this forum...

Besides, I still have high hopes for your version of it, IAH. If you want to give it up, though, feel free as well, just point at who'd you like to write it.

Did someone really say that, by the way? Jesus. That's uncalled for.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

3238084 Wow, some people have ISSUES. I mean it's just a fanfic. Sheesh. That's more vitriol than I've seen aimed at George RR Martin for Luna's sake!

Really, we just want to know where you stand. It's not like we'll be mad if you want to drop it, but we can wait if you want to return to it. It's not like I haven't been procrastinating :facehoof:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24