The American Civil War 71 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

I would have to say that mine is Grant. His is story is the typical underdog story. From zero to hero.

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

I'm partial to Meade and Grant, but there is also William Sooy Smith of the 13th Ohio who is actually my ancestor

Green Horse
Group Contributor

Mine would definitely be Sherman. The man who helped define modern maneuver warfare. After that I would say Sheridan for solidifying modern cavalry tactics.

Eagle
Group Contributor

Lee, because I'm probably the only one here who'll say that.

Monochromatic Rainbow
Group Contributor

Lee, no contest for me.

Rebel Brony
Group Contributor
Eagle
Group Contributor

But of course, we named one of our best cars after him

Eagle
Group Contributor

From Dukes of Hazzard

Abramus5250
Group Contributor

2868492 Grant: without a doubt, I would have to say Grant. He was just so obscure until he became famous, and he was sickened by the sight of blood so much that he hated war altogether. Now that's a man: he hates war but wages it out of necessity, not desire for personal gain like so many generals throughout history.

The Descendant
Group Contributor

Hancock the Superb

Guardian
Group Contributor

2868492 Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, and I'm a Unionist.

Toffee Bean
Group Contributor

Robert Lee, his tactics were good, but his underestimating of the enemy was his down fall.

Eagle
Group Contributor

The famous TV show.

lordvad3r95
Group Admin

2868492 Lee, Grant, and Sherman, in no particular order.

Stonewall Jackson, seriously, only he can pull off a charge like this:

Confederate Major General Patrick Cleburne, the best Confederate Division Commander west of the Appalachian Mountains.

Gonna throw out some fun ones here:

Burnside. Why Burnside? He was a crappy army general! Yes, and he knew it. He only accepted the promotion to lead the Army of the Potomac because otherwise it would have gone to Hooker, and Burnside (perhaps not incorrectly) judged Hooker to be even less competent than himself. He performed decently as a corps and small army commander, even going on to defeat the lauded General Longstreet at Knoxville.

In a war of huge promises and huger egos, Burnside was a quiet, dutiful soldier who did his work to the best of his limited skills.

Ben Butler: Who? The guy who lost nearly every battle he fought, and administered New Orleans after its fall to the Union. He's most famous for his order that any woman in the city who disrespected a Union soldier would be arrested for prostitution, leading the Confederate government to label him "Beast" Butler and put a bounty on his head. He was hopelessly corrupt, did much to aide the poor of New Orleans, and gave absolutely no fucks what anyone thought of him. He liberated slaves before receiving the authority to do so, and caused brazen international incidents by seizing foreign cargo on the (probably correct) pretext that it was going to the South.

Initially a hardcore democrat and staunchly anti-Lincoln, he backed Jeff Davis (yes, that Jeff Davis) for president in 1860. Fast forward four years, he's done everything to piss off the South except win a battle, and is a politically vital "war democrat" ally to Lincoln.

The man was damn fun to read about.:moustache:

William Sherman: He's probably a lot of people's favorites, so I won't go into his accomplishments. I'm putting him here because he fucking called it:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20