Twily's library 272 members · 545 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

-Takes a deep breath-

I've been wanting to write this for a while now, but I haven't been able to do so, since I've struggled with how to make the transition from yet-another-Twilight's Library-lookalike group to what I wanted it to become in the first place: A recommendation / reviewing group.

That means that quite a few things are going to change, namely, one of the most important changes is the removal / lock of the Incoming folder. Yes, you heard that right. The incoming folder has to be deactivated for the group to move on. Why, you ask?

Well, I wish I could give you a simple answer, but it comes to many different things, one of them (and the major one) is forcing admins to pre-read stories, and thus reduce their free time against their will. This can (and already has) lead to group collapse. Neither of those are supposed to be a part of... well... any group.

And with that, we have to move on to reviews / recommendations...
First things first: As this is already a higher-quality stories group, it's needless to say that all stories already added to the group are recommended, but those with a smaller amount of views (or those that are exceptionally well done) can have recommendation thread of their own.

So... What will happen without the Incoming folder?
Well, nothing. The folder is going to be replaced with a forum thread, allowing you to recommend stories that were authored by someone else.

And then you'll ask, how will that make Twily's Library any different than let's say... Seattle's Angels?
Twily's library will always be foal-centered, while others... well... aren't, and, well... that's about it. We won't toss around badges or something alike, because they're basically meaningless. Exposure (and archive) are the goals of this group.

Suggestions, comments, and further recommendations are always welcome. Let me know what you think.
~Twi

4114194 So does this mean that the fics that are waiting in the incoming folder (have been for months) are going to have their chance at being pre-read and accepted still, or are they outta luck?

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

They're still going to be reviewed, but their rejection (if they become a subject of that) may or may not be posted in the thread.

~Twi

4114275 Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like you're making the group into something you and other group leaders will enjoy more. I understand the appeal and necessity, but also wonder whether the change will leave an unfilled niche out there among fimfiction groups for what this group once was. Thanks to the more reasonable standards for acceptance here, it seemed like it might be easier for staff to handle submissions than at Twilight's Library (now closed, of course), but that doesn't matter if the group is falling apart, as you mentioned.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Something similar's probably about the best route to take, really. One problem I do have is that the form you've got for the recommendation thread's kinda not geared to make it easy to decide if you're interested in reading something. If you look at the one post already there, how much of an idea would you have 'bout the story without clicking the link?

Over in Tag-a-long's Book Club, we've been using this:

Title:
Author:
Genre:
Description:
Why do you feel it should be in this group?
Name two things you like about the story:
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story?

If you ignore the first couple posts, 'cause somepony silly used an old form and not the one posted, you can see what it looks like in use in the recommendation thread.

Not saying we have to use that particular form, but at least having a line for the description would be really helpful, so you know what the story's about...

--Sweetie Belle

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

The group is not falling apart, don't take it that way. I'm just taking necessary precautions to prevent that to happen in the first place.

This group was created in a heat of the moment when many admins spawned a few thousand (I'm exaggerating, of course) daughter groups, but unlike others, as I wanted to avoid this being yet another dumping ground for stories, this took a little different direction in the manner of quality over quantity.

But as this group wanted to control quality, it basically turned to mini version of Twilight's Library, with the incoming folder suffering from basically the same fate. And rather than persist with keeping the folder open and cause the admins to basically give up on the group, I changed it (hopefully soon enough) into something to relieve the burden from the reviewers.

And with that, I must switch to Inbox and your submitted story. Here is a thing: This is the third time I rejected / removed your story from that folder, and I stated the reason first time around: Relationship between adult pony and a foal that features clop for no other reason than that it is there. If the story was teen versioned, I wouldn't mind adding it in here or in Twilight's Library quite a long time ago, but since it goes into clop just because, it won't end up in here.

~Twi

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

That's a good correction right there. I hope you don't mind that I blatantly stole borrowed your recommendation format ^^

Isn't that a similar format that Seattle's Angels use?
~Twi

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I'm pretty sure arcum wouldn't mind. I just took a look, and the Seattle's Angels form asks for less, actually. I like this one 'cause not only do you have the description right there, it makes anypony recommending a story think for a minute about why they like it.

--Sweetie Belle

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

it makes anypony recommending a story think for a minute about why they like it.

That's a very good thing. Thank you for your input ^^

~Twi

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

No problem!

Oh, and, um, I hope nopony wanting to recommend a clop story shoots a pm to me. I don't have mature on...

--Sweetie Belle

4114379 Oh, I see your post in the rejections thread now. Thanks for taking the trouble to tell me again. I figured that because there was another mature story here dealing with foal sexuality, you might at least look at my story's explanation for the rating (linked in the story description) and hopefully give it a chance to find out it's a deeply moving story. Your group, your rules, of course.

4114433 ... deeply moving and fantastically written, if I may say so. :pinkiehappy:

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

I didn't only read the description, I also read at least half of the story itself. Remember this? That conversation took place almost a year ago, and honestly, my opinion on it didn't change. Like said: I wouldn't be complaining if the story in question was marked as teen.

~Twi

4114458 I wasn't aware that what applied in Twilight's Library applied in this group (for obvious reasons, I think), and I forgot that it was you (creator of this group) who was against it in that group. The revisions I've made the past 2 months have improved the quality to such an extent that I would have submitted it to Twilight's Library, actually, if it hadn't closed just as I finished them. (Instead, I've promoted it in the new TALBC.)

That's how things go, I guess.

I suppose I'll ask just to be sure, and hopefully you won't find me too annoying: Will the no foalcon standard apply even after the changes you're making, including to my story, where it's literally less than 1% explicit by number of words written? I mean to ask, could somebody recommend my story here under the pretense that they believe there's a really good reason for the sex? (Or is the issue not the sex, but the age difference?--in which case the recommender would believe there's a justified reason for the age difference.)

A fan of mine asked for curiosity's sake and was told he could recommend the story in TALBC. I've already submitted it there, knowing that various contributors have different tastes and, even if many dislike it, some may. Will this group prohibit all contributors from adding anything self-labeled as "foalcon?"

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

Will this group prohibit all contributors from adding anything self-labeled as "foalcon?"

You're asking me to provide a blanket answer to a blanket question, so here it is: Yes.

Unless it's a 'no'.

The guidelines and 'what goes where' (the part about 'Adult situations' folder) should provide enough information about what will be accepted.

~Twi

4117243 Thanks for your patience. I'll move further inquiry to PM.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Um, just noticed the Cuddles folder was kinda sitting open where anypony could put stories in it, when A Body For Two got stuck in it. I set it to admin only, but thought I should mention it to you...

--Sweetie Belle

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17