The Monthly Contest Club 335 members · 51 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

1st Monster Mare Story Contest (Unpopular Monsters)

As the Monster Mares Group has grown many wonderful stories have been added to our precious library. However, there are monster mares out there that are lacking any tales of their own. So, while I am a monster mare enthusiast I wanted to try to see if we could perhaps increase the number of stories for these less then popular monster mares. I also wanted to expand upon the Monster Mare Story List, which consists of Safe for Work (SFW) stories with our various monster mares. Thus, with some help we are starting our 1st Monster Mare Story Contest.

The objective behind this short story contest is to increase the number of SFW stories that feature a monster mares that aren’t very common. So, in addition to being a good story, your story will also be judged on how unique/original your monster mare is.

Now you might be asking, what is consider popular and unpopular? Good question. As shown above we have a story list, which shows all the Monster Mare stories we have based off of “species.” If a species has 5+ stories it is considered popular, if it has 3+ stories it is considered average, 1+ is considered uncommon and 0 (not on the list) is considered rare. The higher the rarity the more points you will receive from our judges.

Don't worry, stories that have been submitted to the contest and added to the Monster Mare Story List, will have an asterisks (*) at the end to note that the story was submitted to the contest and do not count toward the original number of stories in that species.:raritywink:

Now that this has been established here are the Rules:

• The story must be safe for work (SFW), meaning it can’t have explicit sexual content (no clop, sorry).
  • The word count has to be a minimum of 2,500 words and the story can’t exceed 8,000 words. We don’t want to burn out our judges.
  • The story has to feature a monster mare. If you need help know what a monster mare is, there is a thread for that: What is a Monster Mare. :derpytongue2:
  • They must be ponies. -No Equestria Girl Monster Girls this time around. Perhaps next time.
  • It must be a new story, it can't be a story you've already written and decided to try to submit to contest. :ajbemused:
  • All stories must be submitted to the contest folder.
  • It goes without saying, but have fun.

The Prizes are as follows:

• 1st Place: An Art Commission from Lunar Flarion along with a digital art piece of your monster mare OC by Grim_Grin.
  • 2nd Place: A water color and color pencil drawing of your monster mare OC by Grim_Grin.
  • 3rd Place: A Pencil drawing of your monster mare OC by Grim_Grin.
  • All Places (Whither you made it to the top 3 or not): Will have their stories featured in the Monster Mares Story List.

Our judges will consist of Lunar Flarion and Kydois.

The deadline for this contest is: June 17th 2019.

Thank you all for reading this thread. Hopefully, we will be reading your submitted stories soon. :twilightsmile:

Link to original image: Here.

A few questions:

"They must be ponies. -No Equestria Girl Monster Girls this time around. Perhaps next time."
What about a monster mare in the Equestria Girls setting?

I notice your list of monster pones is missing a few of the more essoteric types. Alp-luachra and nightmares fair game (or any other such strange "Badumsquishes"?

6852339 While it would be preferable to have the Monster Mare in the FiM setting, it will be okay for her to be in an EqG setting so long as she is shown to be a pony.

If it isn't on the list then we don't have a SFW story of it, in that case feel free to write a story for it, for this contest.:pinkiesmile:

Would an eldritch abomination (in mareish form) be allowed?

6852315 As with all the contests on Fimfiction, I'll be promoting yours on my user page in an attempt to get you more contenders. Good luck!

6852657 Yes, seeing as we have a Thing pony we will probably allow it.

6852697 Thank you.

Oh MAN do I have a ton of questions, and my analytical brain went into overdrive. I've read the contest rules, the "What is a Monster Mare?", the monster story list, and several other forum posts.

From what I understand, there is no limit to what a monster mare can be, yet in canon, we've seen varying mythological creatures. Specifically, griffons, centaurs, sirens, phoenixes, wendigos, and much more. The "Windigos" and sirens already have pony qualities, so one is to assume that writing about these creatures as is would be perfectly fine, right? Yet when it comes to griffons and centaurs, it seems more difficult to discern, since those already have ponylike qualities. Slap a mare's head on a griffon and boom, you're done. Are there limitations against such horse-based creatures, or are they discounted entirely? Is it left up to the writer to make the culmination mix?

Which then leads me to my next question. I see "The Thing" is within the story list. Are crossover creatures allowed? Let's say, Predator Mare, or maybe Alien Mare as examples.

Also, how far can we stretch the idea of Monster Mares? Things like giant/cyclops mares are, well, very generic. Is there a limitation, and if not, does it matter how simple or advanced a writer goes?

Most monsters are creature x creature. What of mares combined with objects? Not unlike dryad/plant ponies, I would assume, but those are living. I'm specifically asking about other such objects. Metal. Light. Fire. A Pillow Mare, for example? What of celestial bodies turned into mares? The Mare in the Moon in reality is the moon, for one such idea.

What of multiple types of monster mares? A giant mothpony, for example. Or a ghost of a seapony. What category would they be in relation to?

Final question. Well, maybe. I see Chimera is a monster category. Can we create our own version of it, not based off the one shown from the show? Can we go even deeper and create mix-match monsters? Example: a blind mare with goat horns, alligator scales, and a regular tail but made of wriggling worms?

These are some of the questions that invaded my mind as I debated whether or not to join in the fun. Seriously, nobody has written stories about skeletons/the Grim Reaper!? Only a lich? How tragic!
(I also assume if someone wanted to submit multiple stories that it'd be alright?)

6854319 *Reads Question... Brain explodes.*

I have a slight headache now but I will see what I can answer at the moment.:pinkiesad2:

In the case of a Griffin and siren, a siren could be considered a monster mare while a Griffin wouldn't (Griffin's are the combination of lion and bird, not pony). A monster mare needs to have some apparent pony qualities.

Crossover themed monster mares like the thing pony we have are okay, personally I would prefer if the creator/author tries their own little twist to the character so it isn't just a pony with mandibles and the instinct to hunt others... If that makes sense. I believe one of our participants might be trying to do that with a Pokemon as well. I don't mind, just try to add your own spin on it to keep it interesting (and maybe change names so we can avoid copy right issues:derpytongue2:).

As for ponies combined with objects we also have a soda pop pony. Like I said with crossover monster mares there isn't anything wrong with that, just try to put your spin on it. It will be more entertaining that way. A pillow mare sounds interesting.

There is nothing wrong with combinations either. One of my favorite monster mare images is of a shark mare (sort of) who's mane and tail are made of slime. Just be creative and have fun with it.

Can we go even deeper and create mix-match monsters? Example: a blind mare with goat horns, alligator scales, and a regular tail but made of wriggling worms?

You certainly could. :pinkiesmile:

Yeah, it is sad that there aren't very many skeleton mare stories out there.

I still need to check with the judges to see if they are okay with people submitting multiple stories.

Thanks for the reply! I thought up a clever premise while working production, so if I don't succumb to my slowness I may just enter. This type of contest is definitely a clever one!

I just wanted to check and see how everyone is doing. :pinkiehappy:

6852339 I just wanted to see how everyone is doing? Currently there are 2 stories in the contest folder.

Been busy with real life, looking to get a move on soon hopefully

Would a story about a kelpie work? I don't have a story in mind yet, but I've got a character.

6879184 Yeah, that would be fine.

Blech. Didn't make it. I submitted a different story on Thursday. It was my first story and I wanted to get the manual review out of the way so I could submit my story for this contest with automatic approval. Looks like that wasn't enough time, as it's still in the approval queue.

I've still got 3 scenes to write to finish anyway. Ah well. I've at least now got a neat little backstory for a character from a longer fic I'm writing.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15