MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 102 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 102

So I just watch the new season 8 song Friendship Always Wins, at least I think it is new, It shows off some of the new friendship school and I have to say, if I wasn't done with MLP before I am now. The school is ok by itself, other then the idea of "teaching friendship," but I am just so sick of this show shoving friendship down my throat.

I miss the old MLP
Season two MLP
Talking 'bout that Lauren Faust MLP
Had a plan MLP

I hate the new MLP
Season 7 MLP
Starlight Glimmer MLP
Color-Bug MLP

I miss the smart MLP
the cynical Twilight
not the only ever talk about friendship Twilight

See, Lauren invented MLP
there wasn't any MLP
When you looked around the web there wasn't any MLP

I used to love MLP
I used to love MLP
I even had the Trixie plushie
I thought I could live in MLP

What if Lauren Faust came back
and made a show called "Old MLP"
Man, that would be so MLP.

Join the party good sir. As I mentioned this show has seriously gone down the DUMPER since season 2 when it all happened.

6300761 Not even Fairy Tail or Digimon used friendship this bad, really makes me want to go back to writing fanfics here even if I have little to no ideas.

Humanity
Group Admin

And the Hippogriffs are a thing. Crap. I was really hoping they wouldn’t acknowledge the absurdity of the land beyond Equestria’s “borders”.

Same, but I'm fine with that so long as they are not also considered the same thing as seaponies...:facehoof: you know they are.

I have to say that I do hate some of the episodes, some I do love them, and some as just only meant for one time viewing.

calinjc #7 · Jan 30th, 2018 · · 6 ·

Even the Equestria Girls series, the freakin' spinoff, is better with friendship than the main series at this point!:ajbemused:

Yeah, I'm having similar problems with Kingdom Hearts.

Feels like friendship is the big motif for the show that seems to be shoved in everyone's faces in a lot of fanfics I read in the past, and people seem to take the term for granted and even use it as an excuse for a lot of the horrid things that go on in the fandom.

What happen with Kingdom Hearts?

Friendship is quite literally treated as Spiral Power and if you reject it the games treat you as if you're a scumbag for not believing in your friends no matter how good your reasons are for doing so(like with Roxas and Axel). Not to mention that friendship can apparently stop death in spite of the fact that one's heart has been destroyed(Ventus).

Yeah, that's stupid. I played the first two games and I don't remember it being that bad in those, but it has been a while. I don't have a problem with friendship having some magical properties, but when you get to the point that friendship is your go to answer for every problem then you know something is very wrong.

Not helped that Ambition is Evil in these types of realities(though it's somewhat subverted in MLPs case, it's still present).

D48
D48 #14 · Jan 30th, 2018 · · 4 ·

Honestly, I never really doubted that stupidity would be showing up again, but to be frank the show is such a massive mess at this point that I just don't care any more.

Humanity
Group Admin

From the look of it, Season 8 is setting itself up to be the bottom of the barrel and that is saying something. This should be fun.:rainbowdetermined2:

D48
D48 #16 · Jan 30th, 2018 · · 4 ·

Yeah, that's pretty much the default assumption at this point. It just keeps getting worse, and there is no reason to think that is ever going to change at this point.

That's probably the best outlook to have here. If I do watch any of it, I will treat it like watching a black comedy, and just laugh at how bad it is.

if I remeber clearly, friendship is practically the whole point of the show. Friendship Is Magic, anyone? I remeber how Season 1 was with its Aesops and morals and Twilight's letters to Princess Celestia. man, good tiems!
but, as with later seasons, it also had its share of egregiously shitty moments. remember “Boast Busters”? that episode upset me with how forced the moral was, and how Trixie was blamed for everyone else's (especially Snips and Snails) doings.

nah, it's not. from what I've seen of that POS spin-off, it's twelve times worse than the show proper. it doesn't teach anything remotely useful. IT DOESN'T EVEN DESERVE CONTINUITY IN THE FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC UNIVERSE.

You're just mad because it doesn't have Starlight in it.

whuh? what are you talking about? I never said anything about Starlight. 🤨

all I said was Season 1 had its fair share of bad moments. ditto for Season 2. 😕

Give me a good reason why you think that?

This is just a review of the first movie, the worst one.

...And this was written in 2013.:ajbemused:
I'm talking about the series as a whole, dude.

Humanity
Group Admin

It’s not so much that friendship is the point of the show, but rather that the context of friendship is being increasingly blown out of proportion and made to look like it can solve any problem regardless of how unrealistically misleading it is. Friendship isn’t perfect and can’t solve everything, but the show doesn’t seem to understand this.

Humanity
Group Admin

Nah, they’re just some lurkers who have been hovering around the group for a good while just to spite us for daring to speak out against the series’ failings. I say let them. It lets us know the other side of the fence is listening.

There's a new special coming out pretty soon called Forgotten Friendship. The series is not dead, and is even planned to go on past the main series.
... So yeah, the series is not dead.

Actually, it involves a mysterious enemy erasing all memory of reformed Sunset from the humane 6 as a way to make Sunset suffer. And if the book is anything to go by, Sunset and Celestia finally meet up again.

You might want to give it a chance. Equestria Girls may not be perfect, but at least it feels like there is actual effort put into it (most of the time, Mirror Magic is a black stain on it's record), unlike the main series right now.

D48
D48 #30 · Feb 3rd, 2018 · · 1 ·

The conversion was a bit awkward in a few places, but you are definitely right on the money with your point. The show used to deal with complexities to some extent and said point blank that not everyone is nice and you can't be friends with everyone back in season 1, but you are definitely right that things have gotten warped to the point of being outright dangerous to take seriously at this point. That said, you should remember that the six-ish year olds of the target audience are smarter than "conventional wisdom" gives them credit for and I remember a great story about one calling the show on its bullshit with Mare Do Well so there is at least some resistance to the stupidity there (as we also saw with them rejecting Starlight based on toy sales).

D48
D48 #31 · Feb 3rd, 2018 · · 1 ·

Ah, so much stuff in there, but yeah, we're generally on the same page so I'll just hit a few points real quick.

I don't know what caused it to take such a very infantile route.

That would be McCarthy with her "every little girl wants to be a princess" stupidity plus some office politics and executive meddling.

Barney "A Stranger is a Friend You Haven't Met" episode

I don't care enough to look it up or ask for a full explanation, but based on the title I'm going to guess that was basically setting kids up to be abducted and maybe even caused an abduction (or possibly even more than one).

What was that Mare Do Well story? I'd like to see what it is.

Sorry, I don't have a link, and I think it was a random comment somewhere on this website so there's no way I'm going to be able to find it again, but it was basically just a personal account of a relative in the target demographic watching the episode, commenting that the other girls could have been mare do well but that it wouldn't make any sense part way through, and then pointing out how awful the rest of the cast was to Rainbow after the fact.

I'd also say, I'm guessing in about 2025 or something, if we go into Goodwill or any consignment or donation shop, we may see tons of DVDs of the MLP movie and seasons 5-9 in it (or ones containing said episodes from those seasons) in there...

Sounds about right. :rainbowlaugh:

So the EQG series, the one based on those awful movies is the one getting the effort put into it while the MAIN SHOW, the one which started it all with high quality gets the crap?

That's all it was, really. My opinions. Sorry to get you all butthurt over for something you could have easily ignored.:ajbemused:

Sorry if I dare to touch the franchise that has your waifu in it, but EQG doesn't deserve to have more effort put into while the main one has to deal with crappy writers which can't or won't care to try and respect what the FIM something special.
If both series could be on par for quality, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but it appears that Hasbro is so despearete to make the mistake called EQG work that will sacrifice the one thing that made the franchise great.

If both series could be on par for quality, I wouldn't have a problem with that

Somehow, I doubt that....:applejackunsure:

I don't blame you for thinking that. I'm having similar thoughts myself.

D48
D48 #37 · Feb 4th, 2018 · · 1 ·

Yeah, I'm very much with you across the board, and it is definitely fair to be worried about things like that episode you mentioned because even if most kids are smart enough to realize that's a bad idea, there will always be some that aren't and there will always be irresponsible parents so there's definitely a real risk of things going very, very badly. With FIM so far I think the risk has more to do with making kids vulnerable to abuse (especially verbal/emotional abuse from scumbag "friends") than abduction, but as you pointed out it only takes one spectacularly bad decision for that to change and at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

As for how the show will age, I do think that at least seasons 1 and 2 (with the exception of a handful of episodes) will hold up fine. Just about everything after that is crap and most people will realize that sooner or later, but there is genuine quality in the early stuff which gives it staying power.

Well, maybe I would still prefer the show with the actual horses, but that my own taste.
Also, how come I got not one, but 4 thumbs down? Are my opinions that cancerous or what? :applejackconfused:

Well, the fact that you present your opinions with so much bile and salt may have something to do with it...:applejackunsure:

If you think my posts are full of bile, you've never been on ICT. That's the stuff that would make this whole forum get closed.
Also, I'm the one here trying to find a common ground. Is you the one keeping teasing me because I get angry of EQG getting better writing than FIM. And I mean to point out that I didn't said that your thoughts were bad, in fact I stated the opposite. I believe that you can't do worst than the actual FIM show).

guess it's time i say my piece about all this.

...what... what even IS this. what are those new creatures i don't even know. on second thought, i don't think i WANT to know. blech, go away, in the bin.

you claimed that EQG doesn't "Deserve" to have more effort or better writers than FIM. heres the thing as i see it. about the only thing that kept EQG less.. lets use the word "tainted" is that there was less of it to produce, thus less chances to muck it up. and comparing episode times, still is. and after Mirror Magic, even that is a matter of luck, it would seem.

someone more aware of the current goings on could tell this more than me- did the staff make a full break on the new series or do they bounce between both? because then it's not "better" writers. if they are still run the way we were clued into last year or so, which i took to mean pretty well on their own with little cohesion overall... then any upside the EQG series is perceived to have will not last. the bets on how fast it will decay, not if.

For me, the whole things about done on both angles.

I get where you're going. Equestria Girls didn't born out as show, but more of a MOVIE series. And only recently it got it's own show.
I can't really tell how this series is, but I think is unfair that the show that started it all gets the shaft, while a spin-off gets writers that actually don't threat the viewers as idiots that can be distracted with keys.
But that's just IMO.

see, and here's where i had to go look things up now... based on what i found, only 1 writer did the "Better together" series of digital shorts. that would be Gillian M. Berrow as the credited writer for all 12 of those, unless i missed something. in FIM they wrote "the one where pinkie pie knows", "fluttershy leans in", and "Daring Done?" again based on what i could find.

you all can tell me if that makes them a better writer compared to your personal taste of liked and disliked ones. i both havent watched the EQG series barring "Display of Affection" because a link was handed to me, and i tapped out of FIM before "Daring done?". i still maintain that if the EQG series IS going well (and im assuming THIS is the series everyone's on about) its because 1 person is currently doing it so far as i can tell, and the lack of time per episode is forcing it to stay tight. but how long that'll be before the general lack of control results in to many people spoiling the broth? im not gonna guess.

theres also the fact there's less tangled nonsense going on with EQG than FIM at this point by the fact there was less to possibly mess up, and i do question again how much control and who's ideas led to the current state entirely, and im sure we could point a lot of fingers on that one. either way, this is what i found out from the dig. so its not writers in this case. it's one, and the idiot ball may still be coming.

meanwhile, i also found out about "choose your own adventure" shorts series both exists and is credited as written by a different writer on each episode, and i know nothing at all about these, other than some of the names are familiar to me as well from the core show. since ive heard nothing about them at all, im gonna leave that branch where it lay.

Speaking of, I think "Them Fightin' Herds" is coming out this month.

D48
D48 #45 · Feb 4th, 2018 · · 2 ·

Yeah (though I still think it was good until season 5, just me)...

Well, that explains the "won't age well" line. You haven't emotionally accepted that most of that is garbage yet, so what you are really saying is that intellectually you know it sucks but refuse to let yourself believe it. I recommend you re-watch the first five seasons in order with more critical eyes now that you are past your fanboy phase and see what you think then.

To be frank, the only MLP things I really do mostly are fan games, I've played some good ones.

Oh, which ones? I've played a handful, but not many since they don't usually get posted here and I gave up on EQD in something like five or six years ago.

Whoa. That sounds a little out of line. :applejackunsure:

D48
D48 #47 · Feb 5th, 2018 · · 1 ·

Which part? The only thing I can think of is the "fanboy phase" bit, but I only say that because Romuska Palo Ur Laputa has self-admitted to and apologized for that in the past, so that is an acknowledgement of a past problem and an observation that it may still be coloring judgement even though it has obviously been dealt with, not an attack.

D48
D48 #48 · Feb 5th, 2018 · · 1 ·

Just because that was when you noticed it doesn't mean it wasn't affecting you before that. These psychological tricks can be really hard to spot even in hindsight because of the way they subtly warp your memories. As an an example, a number of people think the others talked to Rainbow about her boasting in mare do well before ruining her life when no such conversation actually happened, and I actually caught Humanity of all people on this one fairly recently which shows clearly just how easily this kind of thing can slip past someone who is very aware of the possibility and how long it can persist for.

Also, thanks for the game names. I've played story of the blanks, but I seem to have missed the others so I'll give them a shot when I get the time.

Humanity
Group Admin

If I really did get that wrong, please let me know where it did or didn’t happen in the episode’s transcript.

D48

It was the other way around actually. I mentioned that example of false memory in another thread and you falsely remembered that conversation that never happened, so you checked the transcript to confirm the truth (before posting) and let us know that it happened to you.

You didn't get anything wrong, but just like here you made sure to be honest with us and yourself and offered a valuable learning experience for everyone as a result. :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 102