Anti-Depression Ponies 1,888 members · 2,441 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24

I just got some bad criticism on my first fic, and now I'm feeling really depressed. Can....can I have some help? Or maybe a virtual hug?

2014241 Well I've had some bad critiques in the past. I'd have to see the fic in question but.

Honestly, it's so short I can already tell you one thing, without having even read it: it'll automatically get better if you make it longer. There's not much to love in that story for now. Try to make bigger chapters.

I'll read it later and tell you what's wrong with it, so you may get better at writing. But wait for a while, I'm already proofreading another story right now.

There there don't let it get you down it happens to all of us. If anything you should be proud of yourself for going out there and putting your ideas to paper. It takes courage to do that.

Yeah, criticism hurts. The first feedback I ever got on my fic was a slap upside the head about cliffhangers.

On the other hand, it was some of the best, most useful criticism I've ever gotten. So, maybe there's an upside.

2014241 I went, and read the comments on your story, just... wow. I gotta say they were kinda being pricks, just ignore them. That's not real criticism, at least not all of it, criticism is supposed to help you be a better writer. A lot of what was said was only said to make fun of you, which is not okay, especialy not on this site.

2014295>>2014307>>2014329 :pinkiesmile: Thanks! I feel a lot better now. You guys are the best; I'm glad I joined this group. Hugs for you all!

Pinkie's hugs are best hugs.

Look at this way. Now you know what you want to improve on. Which is better than hundreds of other writers scratching their heads not knowing why they're getting downvoted/unread/etc.

Publishing anything is a terrifying prospect. I still find myself hesitating a loooong time before hitting "publish," even after proofing the work five times over. It takes a lot of courage, and you should be proud of yourself for taking the plunge.

Success here — as it is pretty much anywhere else — depends on tenacity. Don't let criticism get you down; it's a natural by-product of what we do. If the criticism is useless, do your best to ignore it. (I know, it's not that easy. But ignoring haters gets easier with practice; the more you do it, the easier it gets to shrug it off.) If criticism is productive, however, please do take it professionally, not personally, to heart. Listen to what they're saying at let that be a stepping stone to future improvements.There are actually people out there who are interested in helping you.

Wow, this all sounds like a motivational lecture. :facehoof: Sorry 'bout that. But, fer cryin' out loud, no matter what, if you enjoy writing even a tiny bit, don't give up!

And if it'll make you feel any better, bow to the Muffin Princess:

You clearly haven't heard the Good (Cuddly) News about our Lady, Fluttershy.

She doesn't talk very loudly, so I can understand how you missed it.

Luckily, I have pamphlets and come right to your door. Probably right when you're sitting down to dinner.

2014364 Yeah, some of the criticism is not so productive... But thank you! Every time I check my notifications, some pony else has replied on this! It just rings a test to my eye that so many people care.

Challenge...:pinkiegasp:

Accepted. :pinkiehappy:

PS. This group needs a hug thread.

2014372>>2014518 Guys I like both Fluttershy and Pinkie's hugs! :pinkiehappy::yay:

Oh, it is o—
Actually, don't really want to derail the thread entirely!

So, I will concede that Pinkie Hugs are best hugs. Especially the last one.
(Fluttershy still provides best snuggles)

There is much wisdom in this one.

Hold on.

Vegeta! What does the scouter say about TwilightPoopSparkle's hug level?

IT'S OVER 9000!

HUGS EVERYPONY! :derpytongue2::trollestia::yay::twilightsmile:

You know my first fic also gets a ton of hate, and while some of the complaints make sense and I'm complying with, others are stupid, such as introducing Przewalski's Horses to MLP: Technically, Przewalski's Horses aren't really biologically the same as other horses, they have a different chromosome count, and Donkeys and Zebras are not Ponies, but they're part of MLP; seriously, why complain about the inclusion of Przewalski's Horses?!!:flutterrage:

*HUGS THE HELL OUT OF YOU*

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24