The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
Super Trampoline
Group Contributor

Hello everypony. If you're like me, you get hundreds of emails a day and often miss the writeoff writing period. Of course, if you're like me you fail to complete anything anyway even when you remember when it is. But that's neither here nor there. My request is this:

Can somepony who knows more about coding than I write a simple script that sends me a reminder text whenever the writing period of a writeoff starts? I'm sure you could add more features if you wanted, but knowing when the writing period begins would be the most useful thing.

Alternatively, a humanpony could just text me at one (seven-one-four) four-nine-six three-one-one-nine when this weekend's starts.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Cosmic Cowboy
Group Contributor

That's the biggest reason I keep missing these things. Emails before prompt submission are fine (even if I can never remember if I got one last month or not), but I tend to forget about the actual writing part of the event while waiting for it after voting for prompts.

(not replying because I can't help with coding, unfortunately)

Just to butt in. You know how easy it is to just make a seperate email account?

Also, I know there are junkloads of simple script programs that do stuff like remind you with a pop-up (or even noise) that something you planned is coming. Calendar things. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of one now. Never used on on this computer. But, yeah.

At worst, google up some site where you ask about such things.

Probably worth it if your emails and organisation boggle you? Anyhow, *randon chatter* Not here, Sorry.

Majin Syeekoh
Group Contributor

...I'd have to text you at 1 am est later today, so I think I'll pass this round.

journcy
Group Contributor

No need for fancy scripting: the tool you're looking for already exists!
Just use IFTTT (IF This, Then That) to have a text sent to your phone whenever you get the Writeoff email. The interface is pretty well-designed, but if you need any help feel free to ask.

Can you just set the write-off emails as priority/flagged email in your account? That should make them always stay at the top of the list.

Not_A_Hat
Group Contributor

5010970 There should be a 'native' solution, too, although I haven't tried it. Most carriers will do email-to-text, if you know the right gateway. That is, if I email the correct address, usually something like "myphonenumber@text.carriername" - a google search ought to turn this up for your carrier - it'll reach my phone as a text. Most any email service nowadays supports automatic forwarding; all you'd need to do is set up auto-forwards, so that any writeoff.me emails received are passed along to that address, and they ought to reach your phone as texts.

Super Trampoline
Group Contributor

5010918 So i just checked and indeed the problem is that the writeoff mailing list only sends out a new email at the start of each contest cycle, when it really should send out an additional one when the writing period begins as well. I'll ask Roger Dodger if he can fix this; I doubt anyone would be against the notion.

Super Trampoline
Group Contributor

5011163 until the writing part of it begins or the contest cycle? The former is much more useful than the latter.

Super Trampoline
Group Contributor
Super Trampoline
Group Contributor

5011214 bchandleremail@gmail.com

I give zero fucks if people know my email. My pony email is ponytones@gmail.com

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15