~The Decent Writers Club~ 1,675 members · 9,312 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

The contest ends today!

And I am very disappointed.

Well, not disappointed, this is actually exactly what I expected. Only one entry. Just like the last contest.

In light of this, the only entry, Eyes by Doom Trot has been deemed the winner by default. He didn't get his due the last time, seeing that he was the only entrant that time as well, so we'll give him his prize. His story featured on the front page of this group, contributor status and a fancy shmancy Ask ______ thread. So... that's it.

Now, there may have been a mistake in the contest thing. If you have a story that is still being approved or you put it in the wrong folder, then please PM and we'll get it all sorted out. I will have to look through it and make sure it meets the criteria for the contest.

But for the time being, Duum Trut is the winner. Congradulations Deem Tret.

EDIT: Also, due to public disinterest, I've opted to not have anymore contests in the future. Since nobody here wants to put stuff in for contests, (excluding Daam Trat) then whats the point of having a contest?

That is all, hail the apocalypse.

There was a group contest going on? I must've missed it...

4440624 Yeah, I would've joined had I not been caught up in so many other things. Sorry 'bout that. :twilightblush:

Nightmare_0mega
Group Admin

4440624 A few things as to why the contest failed...

1. You really didn't give enough time. You started it at May 15th, and had it end at June 5th. That's less than a month. You may have thought that was enough time, but it really wasn't. A full month (maybe even longer) is much more acceptable and doable for the majority of possible contestants. Remember, you're asking for a fresh, brand new story specifically for said contest. Brainstorming ideas under the perimeters given can take more time than it would writing a new chapter.

2. You went with an unfortunately difficult topic to write about. A character being sensitive isn't easy to portray properly, and most of the time it can be kinda boring. Not only that, but it can restrict the genre types down to very bare minimum. Maybe, instead of going for something specific in theme, such as sensitivity, go for something a bit more abstract and open. For example, choose a random object and say you can write any story, but it has to include said object as a major part of the story. OR, maybe invent a rule where that you have to mention a certain thing in every paragraph. I dunno.

3. You didn't advertise it very well. Honestly, I didn't even know a contest was going on, and I check this group every other week when I'm not writing or working. I went back and noticed you only had the brainstorming thread for the idea, the one contest announcement after getting said idea, and this one. You should have at least posted a couple threads to remind members, or at least make sure the contest takes front and center of members minds. Could have even made the contest thread itself a sticky to the top of the forum, with big bold capital letters reading CONTEST (yeah, you had the [ ] around it, but that's not enough to catch eyes).

I strongly suggest you try it again, but this time, give more time, make it a bit more open in terms of ideas, and advertise it more.

Nightmare_0mega
Group Admin

4440624 Here, allow me to make a faux contest thread as an example (if you like it yourself, you can take it over)

I had no idea that there was one. Maybe if you do another re-post it maybe every few days? it would refresh the announcement

Doom Trot
Group Contributor

4440624 Yes! Diem Trit is victorious!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7