Button Mash 1,380 members · 824 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25

www.equestriadaily.com/2015/11/jan-animation-reveals-everything-from.html

From what it looks like, he has given up the fight.
He spoke with several people (who are sadly only mentioned anonymously here) from different departments at Hasbro, even was in a conference call with them. They spoke about solutions, one of them even promised him that he can at least bring all his pony animations back to public, but in the end, nothing happened.
Now, four months have passed without him getting any replies on his mails or calls. Hasbro is completely ignoring him and tries to sit it out until he gives up.
Apparently, the only thing Hasbro did was bouncing him around between different people to keep him busy and to fake the will to create a positive solution on the matter in order to prevent fandom rage and protests.
There is not any hint pointing to it that Hasbro is going to resume the talks with him and to continue to work towards a solution.
But he released this video to inform everyone and it will go viral in the fandom.
If you can do that in any way, write Hasbro. The only thing that can sort out this mess now is a massive reaction from the fandom and Jan needs our help now.
A company is only so strong as the people who work there and there is only one thing a company listens to:

Massive outcries by it's own fanbase.

I hope Jan will eventually (anonymously) release the contact data for A, B, C and D, but until then, go write Hasbro on Twitter, Facebook, per e-mail or per physical letter.
It's the only thing that can be done anymore now and the only thing we should do. Jan needs our help now and it also helps every other fandom pony animator once he gets as popular as Jan is now.
Please write Hasbro, tell them what you think and speak up for Jan and his pony animations.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pinkiesad2::raritycry::applecry::fluttercry::fluttershbad:4845316

Even though the C&D happened, Hasbro still stayed in good graces with me. There's the trademark law in the US that is pretentious enough to even tell the actual trademark holders what do with it and this puts pressure on Hasbro. And Hasbro promised a solution and got into negotiations with Jan, even offered him a limited license deal so that he can continue.
But what it does now..... It's just a dirty tactic and it leaves me disappointed of it.
Especially because of the sheer hypocrisy, it allows all the other fandom animators to do their thing, but not Jan? Just because his animations get a few million views more? What's the matter?
Is Hasbro afraid of more free advertisement? :rainbowlaugh:
Or that enough people stop watching the show and watch his animations instead so that they become a serious threat for it? :rainbowlaugh:
I can only urge everyone to write Hasbro about this. Angry fan reactions are the only language it will understand in this case.

Hasbro is complete chicken$#!t!!!:twilightangry2:

4845316 Well...shit...

He just got railroaded and left in the dust? Jeez...

More likely, no one wants to make a decision in the company, because making one would cost them their jobs. Saying "No" would get an outcry pointed towards them and could get them fired. Saying "yes" would mean anything bad that could happen for them saying "yes" would be pointed to them and they would be fired. This tactic is the one where no matter what happens, they keep their job.

You can hate them all you want, but all they need to do is point their finger at some other scapegoat and that person gets fired within the company.

That is just more reason why Jan should anonymously release those infos. If the fandom tears Hasbro apart for this with boycotts and protests, then the higher ups can't blame anyone, neither Jan, nor any of it's employees.

Unless they only have one person per department, it's pretty hard to release those info anonymously.

There's little the fandom can do to solve this Sure, we could get person A, B, C, D, and E fired. But then they'll be replaced with a new A, B, C, D, and E. And those guys will not have learned anything, they'll keep doing the shady stuff they always do because that's the stuff that got them to the position they are now.

You don't understand what I mean. It's not about getting them fired.
What needs to happen is enough protest so that Hasbro simply can't and won't ignore it. Enough so that it sees it's public image (and therefore it's income) seriously in danger.
And being in good graces with the brony fandom is not such a small thing for Hasbro like many bronies believe.
A lot of income with MLP: FiM comes from the brony fandom.

It's absolutely disgusting, but I doubt anything will happen now. What will be the spark, the REAL killer, is when Hasbro inevitably releases merchandise using the 'Button Mash' name.

And they will.

That will be poking the hornet's nest, and that will be the fandom explosion I'd like to see.

-Lumino

I'm confused, can't jan animations just take out sweetie bell.Then make some changes to the background pony "button mash".But keep the name as button mash? Since, Sweetie does belong to the show.While, button is a background pony given life by the fandom?
So there is nothing to copyright.

He could make animations only about Button Mash and OCs when he changes the look of Button Mash substantially, as he doesn't have any infringing stuff in his animations anymore then, but if he changes Button Mash like that, then he can very well just go and do only animations with OCs. That would only be running away from the problem.
The fact that Jan is (this is not meant as an insult, it's just the truth) such a coward that he seriously believes Hasbro could get at him for making animations with OC ponies doesn't help either.

Maybe, but it can't hurt to poke the nest already a little by spreading this video. The more the fandom gets riled up here, the better it is.

4846571 Okay, but buttons has been in at least 2 episodes by now.The 2 seconds in the Valentine episode and When Diamond Tiara ran for president.So that going to be hard, since Hasbro or whatever can just slap a new name on him the next cmc episode.Just like Colgate I think.

Dangit Hasbro!!!

I Can't imagine if there was a D, E, F and G

Sadly, that's not the case. Hasbro is a corporation, and only does what will make money. Given the bulk of the show is targeted to trying to get little girls to buy plastic toys and plushies, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just ignore us. It does seem ridiculous using a chainsaw to swat a fly though. I'm part of the Thomas fandom and we had to put up with this shit from HiT more or less every week around 2010. As long as there are companies, there will be C&Ds. A real pity this incident didn't trigger the Straisand Effect...

They won't. Most people don't even know he's a background character. Hell, they've killed the original off and replaced him with a doppelganger:
And they put him in new episodes just to rub it in our faces!

That's how they think, I'm afraid. Little do they know, it actually causes more people to watch the main show.

Not quite. Hasbro rarely ever sent out a C&D, only a hoofful and only in special circumstances that forced it to do so. And all the fanwork we create, it doesn't bring Hasbro money, yet Hasbro lets it live in 99,9% of all cases.
Hasbro is a very benevolent company regarding fanwork, the first one that truly understands that fanwork isn't creating any harm, and the fandom is just blowing a few, rare C&Ds out of proportion.

They do know that. See my post above.

And for that old post, that's actually outdated. I've written that when the C&D of "Button's Adventures" still hurt a lot more than it does now and at a slightly difficult time for myself.
And also before I realized something, namely, that it's actually Jan's own fault that this had to happen. Back in the days, he was going around flaunting how he "makes his own My Little Pony series starring Button Mash".
Of course that wording made the red lights go on at Hasbro, especially considering that nasty trademark law that strangles even Hasbro itself.
Hasbro really isn't to blame here.

What with the EU's own copyright directive, it's only going to get worse. Batten down the hatches!

You are the second person I see that is worried about that and I really wonder why. I am subscribed to the newsletter of an organization that fought the directive and it got shot down. EU parliament voted against it, so it's not becoming a thing.

Edit: Also, even if it should come to pass, we with our MLP: FiM fanwork will be safe. The new copyright directive makes it possible for companies to do something, but it does not require them to, unlike the US trademark law.
For YouTube, that means we won't have anything to fear, because Hasbro monetizes fan-made pony videos and animations and remixes of show songs there, as well as uploads of songs and scenes, which is essentially a license for these videos:

Article 13 requires certain platforms like YouTube and Facebook stop users sharing unlicensed copyrighted material.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17849868/eu-internet-copyright-reform-article-11-13-approved

Sites like Deviantart, Inkbunny, FurAffinity, E621, ect. won't do anything on their own, because these sites live off fanart.

Derpibooru and FIMFiction.net won't do anything either; these are smaller, privately-owned sites, not huge beasts like Deviantart, and neither will knighty suddenly shut down FIMFiction.net nor will the Derpibooru staff quit and terminate Derpibooru.

Another thing that's important to understand is also that this directive doesn't take copyright away from their holders. All the law does is making it easier for companies to get infringing content removed or to block such content. But it can't tell companies what to do with their copyright and what content they have to let getting removed.
As long as a company doesn't care, nothing's going to happen. And Hasbro is a company that doesn't care, one who often approves of our rich fandom content even.
Other fandoms could be in for hell if that law passes the final vote, especially companies like Disney will abuse the heck out of it (which means, you better go and download all of DagaYemar's Disney song PMVs before they're gone, final vote is in January), but Hasbro will not do anything. We are safe.

That is extremely reassuring. Thanks.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25